spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-02-14 14:43:56: A Comcast insider has provided me with documentation stating Comcast is going to start charging XFINITY Voice users for device backup batteries. The documentation suggests that the new policy will go into effect starting February 26. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · next

jchambers28

join:2007-05-12
Alma, AR

ups time

Buy a ups problem solved.

egeek84
Premium
join:2011-07-28
Livermore, CA

Question

Will existing customers with voice modems/gateways have to fork out the money or does this just apply to new customers?

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

YourBroadbandStore[dot]com

YourBroadbandStore[dot]com (which is hosted by Arris) sells the batteries directly to consumers.

I am thinking of buying the 16 hour battery for my Arris TM722 (that I own) since I have a burglar alarm that uses the CDV line. The alarm has a battery that depletes after 24 hours before the system shuts down.

If Time Warner would give my grandma an Arris EMTA for her digital phone, then I could get a battery for her modem from Arris since TWC does not issue them. 16 hours is the longest battery that Arris sells for the TM722G.
--
I've experienced ImOn (when they were McLeod USA), Mediacom, Comcast, and Time Warner. They are much better than broadcast TV.

I have not and will not cut the cord.

Crookshanks

join:2008-02-04
Binghamton, NY

1 recommendation

reply to jchambers28

Re: ups time

Better solution: Get a POTS line

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast
reply to egeek84

Re: Question

And what will happen if an EMTA needs to be swapped, will the customer need to buy a new battery. Comcast does use different models of EMTAs from different vendors like Arris (main supplier), Ubee, Thompson, and Cisco. Each model and brand uses a different battery. So if a customer had an Arris EMTA go bad so the tech goes to swap it and all the tech has on his truck is an Ubee, will the customer have to pay for a new battery.
--
I've experienced ImOn (when they were McLeod USA), Mediacom, Comcast, and Time Warner. They are much better than broadcast TV.

I have not and will not cut the cord.

uberjon

join:2010-02-10
Kane, PA

1 recommendation

powerless nodes

Like it does much good. At my house when I lose power so does the node the modem connects to....

kaila

join:2000-10-11
Lincolnshire, IL

Out of curiosity.......

Is there anything left that Comcast leaves in a customers home (outside of the connectors and cable drop) that they don't charge for? Otherwise, it seems they've closed the loop on monetizing premises equipment.

And without knowing the specs, it might be better to go with a third-party UPS.

swintec
Premium,VIP
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS
reply to uberjon

Re: powerless nodes

said by uberjon:

Like it does much good. At my house when I lose power so does the node the modem connects to....

Exactly. With TW, the system is good for about 2-3 hours during an outage. Not sure what good an 8 or 16 hour battery will do when the system the emta connects to is down.
--
Usenet Block Accounts | Unlimited Accounts

AlphaOne
I see
Premium
join:2004-02-21

Rent

Aren't the customers already paying rental fees for Comcast to maintan these eMTAs?

jchambers28

join:2007-05-12
Alma, AR

1 recommendation

reply to Crookshanks

that will work too

MovieLover76

join:2009-09-11
kudos:1

Good thing

I think it's a good thing for the customer that they are going to start monitoring battery health and informing users when they need to replace their batteries. From reading it, it seems like the first battery may come with the unit and your responsible for replacements, which seems fair.

It's been awhile since I had cable, but my FiOS connection stays up when the power's out, even the network connection itself stays up as my router is on a UPS. It would be nice if FiOS monitored the battery health of the battery, no way to know it's condition currently and I live in an apartment that already had an existing FiOS installation, so theirs no telling how old that battery is.

Premium
join:2012-06-11
reply to AlphaOne

Re: Rent

said by AlphaOne:

Aren't the customers already paying rental fees for Comcast to maintan these eMTAs?

Indeed.

But hey lets double dip, the shareholders LOVE it.

nycdave
Premium,MVM
join:1999-11-16
Melville, NY
kudos:16
reply to MovieLover76

Re: Good thing

FiOS monitors the BBU battery health, and a new FiOS TV IMG feature will tell you when the battery needs to be replaced.

Automate

join:2001-06-26
Atlanta, GA
reply to uberjon

Re: powerless nodes

Same here. Every time.

egeek84
Premium
Livermore, CA
reply to 15444104

Re: Rent

amen, i guess my 7 dollars a month isn't enough

JimThePCGuy
Formerly known as schja01.
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-27
Morton Grove, IL
reply to nycdave

Say what you want but my POTS line is looking better and better every day. The Diesel generator back at the CO with a lifetime of fuel makes for peace of mind. But wait, I can save $10/year with an IP phone.

egeek84
Premium
Livermore, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to MovieLover76

said by MovieLover76:

I think it's a good thing for the customer that they are going to start monitoring battery health and informing users when they need to replace their batteries. From reading it, it seems like the first battery may come with the unit and your responsible for replacements, which seems fair.

It's been awhile since I had cable, but my FiOS connection stays up when the power's out, even the network connection itself stays up as my router is on a UPS. It would be nice if FiOS monitored the battery health of the battery, no way to know it's condition currently and I live in an apartment that already had an existing FiOS installation, so theirs no telling how old that battery is.

It's a nice gesture but I can already monitor my battery for free by going to 192.168.100.1, it tells me the percentage left, the telemotry of the battery, and best of all, I can do it anytime I want and see it all visually.

Skippy25

join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO
reply to kaila

Re: Out of curiosity.......

Not real sure what your problem is with this.

My car manufacturer doesnt replace my battery free, nor does my cell phone provider or any of those toys that come with batteries I have bought for my kids or my nieces and nephews.

Batteries are a consumable, you should full expect to replace them when they have been consumed.

egeek84
Premium
Livermore, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to JimThePCGuy

said by JimThePCGuy:

Say what you want but my POTS line is looking better and better every day. The Diesel generator back at the CO with a lifetime of fuel makes for peace of mind. But wait, I can save $10/year with an IP phone.

I miss that about POTS, so damn reliable. The power went out, the phone battery went out, you can throw anythign at it but whenever you needed a dial tone, it was there for you, rain or shine.

TWCcdman

join:2002-04-14
Kernersville, NC

Batteries are good

But cordless phones still need power so hope you have a corded phone lying around.

rradina

join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO
reply to kaila

I don't think this is a monthly fee. They are just saying "batteries not included", aren't they? And $35 for a battery doesn't sound like they are stiffing anyone. I have a UPS that takes two 12V $25 NiMh batteries and provides about 25 minutes of backup time for a typical desktop computer (with monitor). $35 for a battery seems reasonable.

pende_tim
Premium
join:2004-01-04
Andover, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Skippy25

Difference here is ownership. I own the car so should be 100% responsible for the maintenance cost. Comcast owns the modem, I am just renting it from them.
--
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.

rradina

join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO

Tired Old Argument

Why bother trying to backup an IP phone? These days, who doesn't have a cell phone?

There are only a couple reasons I still have a "land line" (it's not POTS though):

1) It's part of a triple-play package with HSI and TV and cheap
2) I have three kids and one is still too young to stay by himself. If someone comes over to watch him, I prefer not to leave my cell phone or require the sitter to have a cell phone.

I ditched my POTS line over 10 years ago and despite several ice storms where the power went out (one time for three days), I've always been able to make a call on my cell phone -OR- use a long extension cord from the car's inverter to temporarily power the cable gear.

travelguy

join:1999-09-03
Santa Fe, NM

1 edit
reply to egeek84

said by egeek84:

I miss that about POTS, so damn reliable. The power went out, the phone battery went out, you can throw anythign at it but whenever you needed a dial tone, it was there for you, rain or shine.

That old Bell System five 9s reliability was nice, but you paid for it. You have to ask with all the different comm channels available today, is it really worth paying for that level of POTs reliability at the residential level.

Skippy25

join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO
reply to pende_tim

Point taken, as I was not aware of that.

I would agree if you do not own the modem they should be responsible for it through the lease/rental agreement that they maintain the equipment and not consumer.

However, I am sure they will update their agreements to exclude the battery from their part. It is less service and really that is the business model that all companies are going to. We do less, but you pay us more because that is how we like it.

kaila

join:2000-10-11
Lincolnshire, IL
reply to Skippy25

No problem really, just a question based on observations lately.

Replacement batteries? Even if it's leased, I get that replacement batteries are a customer expense- barring defects. Removing the battery while adding it as a cost option for new installs? Not so much.

MovieLover76

reply to nycdave

Good to know, I'd never heard about that and I've been a FiOS customer for a year and a half.

MovieLover76

reply to travelguy

Personally I don't think so, I already have a FiOS home phone, a Work AT&T phone and a T-mobile personal phone.
The FiOS stays up for 8 hours, and theirs an emergency button that you can press to get a dialtone after that. Plus I have my two cell phones.

Honestly if the phone wasn't basically free with the FiOS promotions that give me a free DVR box I probably wouldn't even have a home phone.

MovieLover76

reply to egeek84

True but the average consumer would never think of that, they don't even tell you that normally. Maybe on a tech support call they might mention it, when they are asking you to do diagnostics.

Jerm

join:2000-04-10
Richland, WA
kudos:2

1 recommendation

reply to Crookshanks

said by Crookshanks:

Better solution: Get a POTS line

BACKLUCK USER - BUYS POTS FOR RELIABILITY - CORDLESS PHONE USELESS DURING POWER OUTAGE ANYWAY