spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-02-15 11:40:47: Back in 2011 the FCC began collecting real-world user broadband data from customized routers, then issuing reports on which ISPs were failing to deliver advertised speeds. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

AnonFTW

@reliablehosting.com

Ummm, wat?

A satellite provider has the best ratio?

drew
Radiant
Premium
join:2002-07-10
Port Orchard, WA
kudos:6

Since when...?

Do ISPs promise bandwidth speeds.

As far as I'm aware, they all throw "up to" in 2pt font next to the number. That's how my ISP gets to feel righteous about the sub-1mbps peak-time performance.

I do have to ask, though... considering the lack of competition in any number of markets, how does the FCC "naming and shaming" these providers actually result in increased performance?
--
flickr | 'Cause I've been waiting, all my life just waiting
For you to shine, shine your light on me

aciddrink

join:2000-08-26

Notice:

Many of the companies that come close to or exceed "100%" are also the companies that manipulate speed tests with speed bursting.

Darknessfall
Premium
join:2012-08-17
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·Comcast
·AT&T U-Verse
said by aciddrink:

Many of the companies that come close to or exceed "100%" are also the companies that manipulate speed tests with speed bursting.

It's graphing sustained speed.

Cthen

join:2004-08-01
Detroit, MI

Woohoo!

They are going to shame them! That is so going to do.....hhhmmm......well.....uuhhmm.....nothing!
--
"I like to refer to myself as an Adult Film Efficienato." - Stuart Bondek

FFH5
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

Depends on location

Comcast has always delivered more than promised SUSTAINED speeds at my house for over 10 yrs. Your mileage may vary.

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to aciddrink

Re: Notice:

If you read the report you would see this is based on the data from the "Sam Knows" whiteboxes in consumer homes and not providers tests.
The sam knows boxes do record the burst speed, and also the shaped speeds this report is based on.
SpeedBoost was not a factor.
Being a samknows tester , I know I consistently meet or exceed my advertised speed 99%+ of the time and am very close the other 36 or so hours per YEAR. That exceeds my expectations.

I don't believe most/any of the providers are attempting to manipulate the data or collection process, but it would be interesting to see a comparison of their in house tests VS what these test show.

Heh213

join:2012-06-16
Reviews:
·HughesNet Satell..
reply to AnonFTW

Re: Ummm, wat?

If I recall correctly during a video with engadget or someone similar Viasat was demonstrating Exede and mentioned that they actually setup the speeds a bit higher than advertised.

I've gotten around 2MB/s (roughly 16mbps) downloads during the free period on Exede 12 (12mbps service) when visiting someone with it.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170
kudos:2
reply to AnonFTW
Under promise, not so quite underperform.

ke4pym
Premium
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC

Why, yes, yes it does.

SamKnows consistently reports that I'm getting more bandwidth than I'm paying for.

Not much. A megabit here, a megabit there.

Metatron2008
Premium
join:2008-09-02
united state

At&t and windstream...

The two companies that are bribing our state politicians are also the two lowest performers...

Karl Bode
News Guy
join:2000-03-02
kudos:39
reply to skeechan

Will be interesting to see if they can maintain those numbers as capacity dries up. Also the FCC really should note those usage caps...

Meanwhile HughesNet Gen4 service is AWOL, as many users here struggle to get 1 Mbps on a good day from a "next gen" service.

Karl Bode
News Guy
reply to Cthen

Re: Woohoo!

It did improve the performance of Cablevision, Mediacom and Frontier Communications, though I'm sure that your mileage may vary depending on location.

Karl Bode
News Guy
reply to Metatron2008

Re: At&t and windstream...

Funny how that works, ain't it?

devnuller

join:2006-06-10
Cambridge, MA

1 recommendation

Truth in Advertising

Click for full size
This graph in the report tells a lot. Which providers are offering a consistent, sustained, advertised speed across their customer base. It removes things like:

• Burst/Powerboost
• Time of day averages
• Geographies / where you live
• Specific product benefits (Except for FiOS)

The peak ToD is most interesting to watch and see how well ISPs manage capacity at peak time of day.

Metatron2008
Premium
join:2008-09-02
united state

1 recommendation

reply to Karl Bode

Yeah, it's almost like, they spend all their upgrade money on executive pay, lobby money, and lawyers...

acadiel
Press fire to begin
Premium
join:2002-06-22
kudos:2

Speaking of this....

I've had my unit connected just over two years now. How long are they going to make me keep it connected for?

goonierag

join:2003-07-18
Am I missing something or is there a reason Suddenlink Cable is not included in the the test. Or is it to small a cable company.

dfxmatt

join:2007-08-21
Evanston, IL
reply to aciddrink

As much as I think every company delivers like crap, the issue is how they track specific areas. Not how they measure the speed. They haven't even gotten to a good method of determining how to define an area properly.

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit
reply to acadiel

Re: Speaking of this....

The original sign up and first mailing I got rom SamKnows said "aiming for three years of data at each location" (and implied you were then free to keep/reflash the white box back in to a standard router and keep it.)
I'm sure they would like some locations to report in perpetuity, not sure if they would send a new box just to keep you (if the other one still worked) Write them (through the dashboard) and ask (warning their replies sometimes take a few weeks in my experience, but they are there and responding eventually )

majortom1029

join:2006-10-19
Lindenhurst, NY
kudos:1
reply to aciddrink

Cablevision does not speedboost and neither does Verizon. They both over provision the speeds so that you get a little more then advertised.

devnuller

join:2006-06-10
Cambridge, MA

1 edit
reply to Karl Bode

said by Karl Bode:

Will be interesting to see if they can maintain those numbers as capacity dries up. Also the FCC really should note those usage caps...

I think they do note that in the consumption area of the report

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to drew

Re: Since when...?

said by drew:

Do ISPs promise bandwidth speeds.

AT&T does a very good job of getting a customer modem to sync to the tier; but their small print specifies that they are selling sync (say, 3008 kbps) not throughput (typically 2,500 kbps for 3008 sync).

As far as I'm aware, they all throw "up to" in 2pt font next to the number.

AT&T specifies minimum speeds for their tiers, as well. My ISP advertises "up to"; but with a caveat regarding distance. They don't sell by tier, and they will bust their butt to get a reasonable DSL sync rate for the length of the loop.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

BillKula

@verizon.com

Fiber: Good for your health and your home network

Bill Kula here with Verizon PR.

Verizon’s blog and official statement about the FCC broadband performance test can be accessed here: »newscenter.verizon.com/residenti···ce-test/

“As the FCC report showed, every FiOS Internet speed tier delivered more than 100 percent of its advertised and sustained download performance during peak Internet usage periods, differentiating FiOS Internet from most cable company competitors.

“The FCC’s findings reaffirm the results from the past two FCC broadband performance tests, which found that FiOS Internet provides blazing-fast and sustained upstream and downstream speeds as well as low latency even during the peak Internet usage time periods of 7 p.m. to 11 p.m. local time.

“FiOS Quantum speeds of 50 Mbps or higher will increasingly become what most of our customers use because it provides capacity a step above competing services, as households add and use more Internet-connected tablets, laptops, video game consoles, smart TVs, Blu-ray players, streaming video services and smartphones.

“While the number of Internet-connected devices grows, so too does the amount of time that consumers use those devices simultaneously, boosting their demand for not only fast downloads and uploads but also consistent and reliable performance at all times of the day. Consistently faster Internet service helps consumers get more value from all the Internet-connected devices they’re using.”

slopoke

join:2012-05-20
London, OH
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

Frontier Communications (Ohio)

When Frontier moved in here after Verizon left, things got increasingly better. I only pay for 3 to 5 Mbs so We run anywhere from 2.5 M's to 4.5-5M's off peak. Quite steady. But when the school busses let out the animals.....? Nose dive to 1.5 M's. It's been down twice in two years, (when some dum a$$ cuts a cable with a backhoe somewhere) So for rural with only TW and Frontier, it's a good average 3Mbs DSL or the big buck cable that shuts down almost daily at 15 Mbs. At what our bundle costs ($62.00 incl taxes and full phone apps) we get what pretty much they claim.
--
Just Me and My Acer. And a bag of chips.

evmoy15

join:2013-01-31
Federal Way, WA
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
·Comcast Business..

Glad to have some concrete evidence

I'm pretty glad the FCC has started these reports. I know it's helped out my friends on Frontier DSL, and I'm glad it gives consumers a way to see who's over/underperforming.

Now just give it a week or two and AT&T will be trying to shut this down.

JTR

join:2012-05-19
Carbondale, IL
Reviews:
·Mediacom
reply to tshirt

Do you have any idea how much extra data one of those SamKnows boxes uses every month? I've considered signing up as a volunteer, but I'm going to be forced onto a cap by Mediacom sooner or later (currently grandfathered in as unlimited) and might not have a huge amount of data to spare for testing.

(I suppose I could also just write a script to do it myself, but I'm still curious about SamKnows)

Thanks in advance!

ArrayList
netbus developer
Premium
join:2005-03-19
Brighton, MA
it ranges from 10gb to 20gb from my experience. not much.

jfleni

@bhn.net

What averages never show.

These reports and graphs are very good and helpful, but never shown is the dismal result of sudden internet disappearances from 30 seconds up to 8-10 minutes at random times for random reasons; shamoo or mickey-money or the ball game apparently takes precedence. Usually, it will return of its own accord, indicating good equipment at both ends, but sometimes only after a reboot.

An occasional problem like this is just bad luck, but when the network (Bright-house) vanishes frequently or even daily, often after business hours, the isp is not delivering what it promises to its customers.

Camaro
Question everything
Premium
join:2008-04-05
Westfield, MA
kudos:1
reply to Metatron2008

Lie's you speak of, Lie's.