spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-02-19 08:26:27: Users in our forums note that Canadian cable operator Rogers Communications has made a return to offering unlimited broadband service -- as a limited time promotion. ..

buddahbless

join:2005-03-21
Premium
Reviews:
·AT&T DSL Service

Will this offer head south?

The only reason Rogers and Bell are doing this is to try and steal back customers from companies like Acanac. As the canucks first Started the cap on home broadband and the US soon followed I wonder if the likes of ATT and comcast will follow suit on flat rate overage?

I would gladly pay ATT ( as shameful as that sounds) and extra $10 per mth for my unlimited DSL back instead of $10 per every 50 GB over 150, Im almost sure most ATT U-verse and Comcast users fell the same.

Alas I wont hold my breath, A guy can dream cant he?

Riplin

join:2002-05-13
canada

Alas the capitalists have found another way to make money off nothing

tomcat335

join:2008-05-16
North York, ON

Rogers or Bell deal

The biggest difference is that Bell will allow you to use a cell phone as the 3rd part of the deal (TV, Internet and Phone) whereas Rogers will only accept home phone, not cell. That means that for me it's either switch to Bell for everything, or not take the deal that I really want.

resa1983
Premium
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON
kudos:10
reply to buddahbless

Re: Will this offer head south?

The only reason they're doing this is because of this week's wholesale pricing decision, which was rumoured to be released sometime this month.

Its widely speculated that the prices are going down (ie in favour of the wholesalers), so Rogers, Bell & Videotron (they introduced theirs late last week as well) are hoping to lock people into contracts with the unlimited option, hoping people won't flock to the wholesalers.
--
Battle.net Tech Support MVP

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON
reply to tomcat335

Re: Rogers or Bell deal

It isn't as if either company is trying to do you a favour. They're reeling in the suckers.

AliH

@..hezbureauengros.ca

Called in got the deal

Called in this morning got the deal no problem! Unlimited already kicked in as of today. My account also shows this change!!

rradina

join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO

Why Limited Time Promotion?

Why not just not offer an "unlimited" fee all the time? Why is this being marketed like McDonalds McRib sandwich?

They can always pull it if everyone decides to pays $30 more, drops TV and phone and just watches streaming video and using Skype/OTT VOIP solutions.

elray

join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·EarthLink

said by rradina:

Why not just not offer an "unlimited" fee all the time? Why is this being marketed like McDonalds McRib sandwich?

They can always pull it if everyone decides to pays $30 more, drops TV and phone and just watches streaming video and using Skype/OTT VOIP solutions.

Because buyers need an incentive to commit. If everyone could simply wait until they justified a given purchase, prices would have to be even higher to offset the revenue loss.

Streaming video isn't a replacement, even for Canadian pay-tv.

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON
reply to rradina

They're not really trying to do you a favour. If they were the pricing would be lower all the time instead of ridiculous limited time promotions.

Sparky3

join:2013-02-19

Crazy talk!

I've been with AEI 10 years. $30 a month for 5/1 DSL. Always reliable and no data caps ever! Why do people continue to waste money with scum like Rogers, Bell, et al? Do you enjoy wasting money? if so give it to me!

OnRogers

@rogers.com

tried to sign up tonight

Tried to sign up over the phone. Was told that a "form" had been filled and sent over.. that it may take 7-10 days to take effect..

dabonz

join:2012-05-17
Ottawa, ON

Ok Cuz i'm on The ultimate plan I'm going to pay $30.00 a lot better then paying $100 for over usage

Yahoo I got 160 GB of western pack movies to download lol

Regards
Dabonz~

Sacr1yfce

@rogers.com

My Plan

I am on the Extreme service, but mainly for the higher download cap. I find that few normal websites or services can reach the 35Mbps speed of that service anyway. My plan is to hopefully drop down to the express and get the unlimited download. This will make it about the same monthly charge with the added benefit of unlimited bandwidth.

DataRiker
Premium
join:2002-05-19
reply to buddahbless

Re: Will this offer head south?

said by buddahbless:

I wonder if the likes of ATT and comcast will follow suit on flat rate overage?

Alas I wont hold my breath, A guy can dream cant he?

Unless Google plans a massive expansion, I've lost hope for US broadband.

rradina

join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO
reply to elray

Re: Why Limited Time Promotion?

That's the strangest view of economics I've ever read. I have no idea where to begin or how to even respond.

Whaaaat

@rogers.com

Rogers doesnt understand consumption vs speed

Talked to someone at Rogers customer care about this offer.

I already subscribe to the ultimate tier.

They insist that I cannot subscriber to this $30 unlimited add-on unless I upgrade my cablemodem.

Really? I'm trying to reason with them that I dont want to change my tier.. I just want the unlimited quota. They insist my cablemodem doesn't support unlimited quota.

Rogers wins Imbecile award.