spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-02-19 08:56:59: Verizon is dialing up a new FiOS promotion that nudges users toward the company's new 50 Mbps "Quantum" FiOS tier. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

praetoralpha

join:2005-08-06
Pittsburgh, PA

Value?

I've upgraded from 25/25 for $70 to 50/25 for $80 back in July. Though 25/25 was fine (as far as downloads), with the inability to stream Youtube at 1080p even 10% of the time, I'm seriously questioning whether 50/25 is good value or not.

PapaMidnight

join:2009-01-13
Baltimore, MD

I'd point more to a crappy CDN than I would a last mile connection when it comes to the stability of YouTube's streaming capabilities (or the lack thereof), especially with 720p and 1080p content.

noclip

join:2004-04-20
Fairfax, VA
reply to praetoralpha

Agreed on the bad youtube connection. I can hit 10MB/sec constantly on my 75/35 with usenet, but sometimes I even have trouble streaming the 240p with nothing else downloading! I have to resort to using multi-threaded flash video downloaders to even hit 1MB/sec.

SHoTTa35

@kfvaluation.com

Boost the Boosters!

Hopefully Cablevision gives us a "Boost" to 75/15 or something like that too for no cost to compete

(Not talking about the standard tier obviously, Boost Plus is currently at 50/8Mbps)

codyyy

@embarqhsd.net
reply to praetoralpha

Re: Value?

its not your internets problem with slow youtube streams its youtube them self, there either throttling everyone or just suffering peak hours i only notice slow youtube streams between 5pm and 12am

cableties
Premium
join:2005-01-27
reply to PapaMidnight

I don't think the 50/25 will fix the YouTube issue. I am having issues with lag on Youtube vids within Xbox Live. It is a joke. Video plays for 5 secs then for almost a minute, spinning (what is that, discs?). And Xbox Live changed channels (Comedy is gone) in YouTube so you have to have You Tube account and customize. Eff that.
CDN (folks running traceroutes on ATT Uverse, and rogers, and Comcast are showing drops somewhere down the line...).

Call me conspiracy theorist but I wouldn't put it past "carriers" that have "content" to throttle You tube somehow (or so many are watching YouTube that "it" needs serious bump in delivery ...

"Ya broke me pipes!"
--
Splat

JBT

join:2002-12-06
Tucson, AZ

Agreed its not a bandwidth issue from your ISP. Its either carriers throttling or YouTube with load issues.

v35_pilot
Whoops, there goes another AMU
Premium
join:2005-12-12
Fayetteville, NY
Reviews:
·ViaTalk

What the heck, it's only money

A 25/25 customer now, I am going to bite on this promo. Brings my bill up to $74/month.

Let's see what sites/services will actually benefit from this increased speed now. Can't help but think it is like having a Lamborghini in Manhattan traffic.

patt2k

join:2009-01-16
kudos:1

hm ok?

I am lost why was I able to upgrade from 50/25 to 75/35 for 10$ (but actually 5$ because of my discount) so normally I would pay 10$ wasn't the upgrade difference from 15/5 to 50/25 , 5$ anyways?

TechnoGeek

join:2013-01-07
reply to cableties

Have you tried upping the quality you are watching in? When I had those issues (TW, 10/1) sometimes it actually helped to watch in 720p instead of 360p. Makes no sense, but whatever (may have been a firefox issue with saving tabs, which I also fixed recently, or that weird OpenDNS-youtube path issue).

Yeah, it's infuriating to have that much speed and still be unable to watch youtube normally.

tmc8080

join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·ooma
·Optimum Online
·Verizon FiOS

??

This already was in place in their current "RAI$ED" pricing... internet tiers for 15/5, 25/25 and 50/25 were spaced about $10 apart... notice they don't seem to advertise the 15/5 speed except in entry level triple play.. so in actuality, you'd pay $20 more..

I noticed something kind of sad, a FIOS commercial showing 10 megabits (on a seemingly 15 megabit cable connection) boost to 47 egabits on a seemingly 50 megabit connection during comparable speed tests... assuming cablevision & verizon as the carriers in the NY metro market. Nowhere do I see 15 megabit connections work as 10mbit... unless there is a problem. Conversely, 99% of fios 50 megabit connections register MORE than 50 megabits as do optimum boost... so why advertise that both companies have deflated real world speeds when on average they do not? And if they do, YOU the consumer should complain..

Perhaps if the plans all got a price CUT of $10 each this might actually be a story worth commenting on...

loli
Premium
join:2002-08-26
South Richmond Hill, NY

So...

I'm on the 35/35 option. Will 10 bucks give me 50/25 or 75/35. Either way, I mostly enjoy the upload. They should make it 5 bucks!

v35_pilot
Premium
Fayetteville, NY
Reviews:
·ViaTalk
reply to v35_pilot

Re: What the heck, it's only money

Speedtest
Despite the site telling me it would take a day to upgrade, they had the speed upgrade in place about 30 minutes after the order was placed.

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7
reply to v35_pilot

said by v35_pilot:

Let's see what sites/services will actually benefit from this increased speed now. Can't help but think it is like having a Lamborghini in Manhattan traffic.

That's more or less why they can offer 50mbps for not that much more...most people can't/won't utilize the extra speed. As in your case, there isn't much that you legitimately need 50mbps for that 25mbps doesn't provide. Yes you might get you are downloading twice as fast if the sender has the bandwidth. And then what? The connection already sits near idle browsing the web. Streaming 1080p content won't max out 25mbps. Large software downloads complete faster...but how often do you really need that? Even P2P or other file sharing can max out the pipe but it's not really needed...a 2 hour BD can be downloaded almost as fast as it can be watched.

Dr Demento
I Vant Blud

join:2002-01-02
Denville, NJ
reply to cableties

said by cableties See ProfileCall me conspiracy theorist but I wouldn't put it past "carriers" that have "content" to throttle You tube somehow (or so many are watching YouTube that "it" needs serious bump in delivery ...

"Ya broke me pipes!"

I wouldn't call it a conspiracy, more like a case of major incompetence when it comes to the way VZ handles their DNS. It is comically sad when a mobile connection can buffer quicker. Many are starting to agree that for optimal use you have to register for an alternative such as OpenDNS or you can just plug right up to Google's public DNS without an account.

brianiscool

join:2000-08-16
Tampa, FL
kudos:1

15/5

I live alone and if I had two or three people living in my household. I would have at least the 150Mbps package.

v35_pilot
Premium
Fayetteville, NY
Reviews:
·ViaTalk
reply to cdru

said by cdru:

That's more or less why they can offer 50mbps for not that much more...most people can't/won't utilize the extra speed. As in your case, there isn't much that you legitimately need 50mbps for that 25mbps doesn't provide.

Agreed - I do have three very active Internet users (older children) at home so at any given time I don't necessarily have to worry about bandwidth constraints any more, but in general how much of this pipe will go unused? I will take note of that.

ExoticFish

join:2008-08-31
Stuarts Draft, VA
reply to loli

Re: So...

said by loli:

I'm on the 35/35 option. Will 10 bucks give me 50/25 or 75/35. Either way, I mostly enjoy the upload. They should make it 5 bucks!

$10 will give you 50/25 according to this. So you'd be losing upload speed.
--
»www.VAJeeps.com | »www.ChinchillasForum.com

silbaco
Premium
join:2009-08-03
USA
reply to Dr Demento

DNS has nothing to do with how a video buffers.

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to cableties

said by cableties:

Call me conspiracy theorist but I wouldn't put it past "carriers" that have "content" to throttle You tube somehow (or so many are watching YouTube that "it" needs serious bump in delivery ...

"Ya broke me pipes!"

I think the YouTube problem is BECAUSE so many now have access to 25Mbps +++ connections that aggregate total bandwidth can at time overwhelm the CDN's gateway AND servers at times of high demand.
It's not throttling, it's demand exceeding available resources...an exoflood if you like that term

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
kudos:4

Bah.

How about expanding to more areas? :P

bohratom
Jersey Shore is back again.

join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ
reply to praetoralpha

Considering that Youtube's heavily compressed 1080p streams only eat up around 8mbs of bandwidth you will not see any improvement going from 25 to 50mbs.

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7
reply to v35_pilot

said by v35_pilot:

but in general how much of this pipe will go unused?

It depends on what exactly you're doing.

Loading pretty much any non-streaming webpage almost all your bandwidth goes unused. Say you have a ridiculously heavy news article that is 10MB fully downloaded and it takes you 3 minutes to read the article. With a 25mbits connection, it takes approximately 4 seconds to download full speed. 4/180 seconds = .022 or 2.2% utilization during that 3 minutes. Streaming a high quality netflix stream is around 5Mbps. So 5/25 = 20% utilization.

Downloading a large system update or a game is just going to depend on the size of the file and if the sending server can saturate the line. I might be able to get 1-2MBps (that's megabytes) for a large service pack from Microsoft, so if you got similar you'd still have 1/3 your connection unused during that download.

PapaMidnight

Baltimore, MD
reply to silbaco

said by silbaco:

DNS has nothing to do with how a video buffers.

Indeed. Don't get me wrong: I'll plug OpenDNS and Google DNS (or even Level3, though those technically aren't public...) over Comcast's DNS servers all day and night. Still, they have absolutely nothing to do with the situation right now.

PapaMidnight

Baltimore, MD
reply to bohratom

said by bohratom:

Considering that Youtube's heavily compressed 1080p streams only eat up around 8mbs of bandwidth you will not see any improvement going from 25 to 50mbs.

Considering YouTube doesn't stream and instead actually buffers playback by downloading, this is a moot point. Theoretically, they SHOULD see a significant improvement.

BiggA

join:2005-11-23
EARTH
reply to tshirt

Yeah, it's peering and bandwidth. I have the same issue on Comcast.

Tev41

join:2002-12-22
Arlington, VA

Not available to everyone apparently

Just tried to upgrade my bundle. It's not available thru their website or by chatting with the rep. Just said to call their business office. Sure, when I have a few hours to spare...

tmc8080

join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·ooma
·Optimum Online
·Verizon FiOS
reply to ExoticFish

Re: So...

said by ExoticFish:

said by loli:

$10 will give you 50/25 according to this. So you'd be losing upload speed.

True, they renegged on symmetric bandwidth, then jacked rates up.. unless your grandfathered in on one of those plans. BTW, if you want to see what REAL fiber can do... Verizon is not doing right by the consumer.. Google is:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=edhQCmEJjZw

SpeedDemon

@verizon.net
reply to v35_pilot

said by v35_pilot:

Despite the site telling me it would take a day to upgrade, they had the speed upgrade in place about 30 minutes after the order was placed.

Upgrade done in 5 mins. Yeah baby!

SpeedDemon

@verizon.net
reply to cdru

said by cdru:

That's more or less why they can offer 50mbps for not that much more...most people can't/won't utilize the extra speed.

I went from 15/5 to 50/25 so the speed bump was substantial. I have two network connected TVs running Netflix. I just downloaded a 3Gig ISO (MSDN) in about 10 mins whereas it would have taken at least 30 mins previously.

Do I need the bandwidth now? No, but historically, my bandwidth consumption has always increased. I went from dialup to DSL to cable, then fiber. Each time, there was always an application that *required* the extra bandwidth. (think email, web, VOIP, Skype,Netflix, Roku).

Must as well get used to the bigger pipe now.