spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-02-20 08:47:16: T-Mobile this week launched GoSmart Mobile, the company's latest foray into prepaid wireless service. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

morbo
Complete Your Transaction

join:2002-01-22
Reviews:
·Charter

Pricing is nice; no 4g?

The price is identical to compete with Wal-Mart's StraightTalk plan of unlimited everything for $45 a month.

The honesty of telling users they may be prioritized (dropped/throttled) when there is congestion is refreshing. I think the policy is the same for StraightTalk, but users aren't told about it.

Is the service really limited to their 3g network (not their "4g" version)?

anonphoneuse

@comcast.net

is it really congestion based ?

i wonder if this is really congestion based priority in that if there is excess capacity everything goes as fast as the network can handle. at l;east that is what i would consider congestion based throttling/prioritizing.

what i suspect though is that they will be slowing down users based on there usage patterns regardless of current network conditions. if this is the case they should really make the formula they use public so potential customers can make an educated decision on what brand to go with.

i would like them to publicize that so many MB in so much time slows the connection to such a speed since that is how throttling usually works.

anonphoneuse

@comcast.net
reply to morbo

Re: Pricing is nice; no 4g?

straightalk does not have unlimited data included for $35/month. some people are fine with 2G speeds, including many people who have very high end phones, they may do all heavy usage on wifi but what to make sure they get things like email notifications all the time with out having to worry they hit the cap and have no more data until the next month.

m3nphls

join:2012-10-02
Brooklyn, NY
reply to morbo
There is 4G on their $45/month plan, is 5GB of 4G speed and after that will be throttled down to edge. GoSmart is the only one so far to offer that high cap and second MVNO is Solavei with 4GB cap.

rottnpup

join:2000-08-04
Minneapolis, MN
reply to anonphoneuse

Re: is it really congestion based ?

I have been using gosmart for about a month now and I get 1Mb up and 1 Mb down which is just fine for phone good enought for audio and video streaming. The only problem for me is MMS cannot get working and tech support seems useless they just keep closing trouble tickets without fixing the problem. They try to blame on the phone but I have tried three different phones and none seem to work.

FTWalker

join:2011-03-10

Looks interesting

The pricing actually beats the Net10 setup that I have now.
I need to find a (somewhat) definitive list of compatible BYO phones before I start considering it in earnest, though.

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7
reply to m3nphls

ssavoy
Premium
join:2007-08-16
Dallas, PA
reply to rottnpup

Is that on the $35 or $45 plan you achieve 1mbps?

MovieLover76

join:2009-09-11
kudos:1
reply to m3nphls

Wrong, their is 3G on their $45 plan, connections are throttled to around 900kbps, though you'll still be connected to HSPA or HSPA+ if you check the details on the website it clarifies that high-speed is 3G, the $35 plan is only 2G.

In my opinion the plans are worthless, unless you really stream a lot of music, video streaming can be problematic at 3G speeds, Solavei 4 GB for $49 is the best in my opinion, and I'd even take straight talk's ~2GB over these plans, they just aren't compelling.

For a prepaid carrier, they are priced too high, though I understand why, they are opening retail stores, too much overhead for prepaid.
They also don't have the roaming of Solavei, which roams pretty much where normal postpaid t-mobile roams, that's a deal breaker, on t-mobile you really should have roaming.

winsyrstrife
River City Bounce
Premium
join:2002-04-30
Brooklyn, NY

Using $30 Walmart plan

100 minutes, unlimited text, 5GB of 4G data. Over the past 4 months I've been watching my usage, out of curiosity. With Wifi, I'm at about 60MB, if even. For the past 2 months I've been intentionally disabling WiFi, to force all traffic to 4G. I'm averaging about 260 MB, and that's with pushing app updates over 4G. My traffic alone, I might never break 100 MB.

The featured plan sounds nice, since I'd have more voice minutes, but it looks like data takes the hit instead (3G).
--
"Suddenly everything is fainting, falling from a broken ladder's rung. There's a jolt exhilarating from the phone I'm holding...
I hear the words of what I'll become, how eager the hands that reach for love."
- Blind Melon - New Life

rottnpup

join:2000-08-04
Minneapolis, MN
reply to ssavoy

That is on the $45 plan.

buddahbless

join:2005-03-21
Premium
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
reply to FTWalker

Re: Looks interesting

It does look interesting that is if all the taxes and fees are included, Im on the Walmarts family mobile plan ( Gust a name for Tmobiles post paid 3g). There new plan is 1GB of high speed data "3G" ( formally only 250 MB "3G") then throttled to 2G after words for $40 the previous plan was $45. I use my T mobile G2x (unlocked) and it works fine for BYOD on walmart family mobile I assume all tmobile phones will work just fine on gosmart for BYOD.

I must say previously the best I could achieve was 900 kbps down/500 kbps up with there high speed data ( throttled 3G), now on speed tests I hit 6700 kbps down /1900 kbps up. That is a hell of an improvement however 1GB is still lacking compared to 5GB on Gosmart. The only reason I stay is I have corporate pricing so my bill is $32 a month on the $40 plan and that includes all taxes and fees. If I didn't have that option that $40 family mobile plan would be $48 after taxes and fees for 1 line.
At that cost I'd just jump ship to Go smart.

MovieLover76

reply to FTWalker
Any T-mobile phone or galaxy nexus, nexus 4 will work guaranteed.
All the phone needs is to be GSM and have 3G on AWS spectrum (1700/2100)

buddahbless

Premium
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
reply to MovieLover76

Im on the Walmarts family mobile plan ( just a name for Tmobiles post paid 3g). There new plan is 1GB of high speed data "3G" ( formally only 250 MB "3G") then throttled to 2G after words for $40 the previous plan was $45.

I must say previously the best I could achieve was 900 kbps down/500 kbps up with there high speed data ( throttled 3G), now on speed tests I hit 6700 kbps down /1900 kbps up. Im sure Gosmart will be on par to this.

Its true movielover no roaming is a deal breaker one thing that I accept family mobile is allowed to roam where Tmobile has affiliates that definitely is a plus as 20-25% of my time Im in ATT territory which means no data but Im able to talk and txt and that a lot better than no service at all .

MovieLover76

reply to winsyrstrife

Re: Using $30 Walmart plan

sounds like your most surfing and checking email at on 260 mb. 1MB should be sufficient for that, another option is simple mobile which is $40 for unlimited talk/text and 250mb of 4g data and throttled after that, which just by turning wifi on you would be well under.

It really depends on how constrained you feel by only 100 minutes, myself it really wouldn't work. that $30 plan is really designed for people who use much more data, even without wifi, your barely using 1/20th of the bandwidth given on that plan.

anonphoneuse

@comcast.net
reply to rottnpup

you always needs to manually edit APN's to get working MMS on MVNO's. how you do this depends on your phone, but will never be an automatic thing.

you will never have much luck getting this fixed through a CS agent. best option is do your own research(forums are your friend) or find a small shop thats unlocks and flashes phones to get help with proper APN settings.

buddahbless

Premium
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
reply to winsyrstrife

said by winsyrstrife:

For the past 2 months I've been intentionally disabling WiFi, to force all traffic to 4G. I'm averaging about 260 MB, and that's with pushing app updates over 4G. My traffic alone, I might never break 100 MB.
The featured plan sounds nice, since I'd have more voice minutes, but it looks like data takes the hit instead (3G).

If your only using 260 mb of data a month on average I doubt you would notice the difference from 4G to 3G ( unless your streaming/ watching videos). At this venture If I was in your shoes Id be looking at best valve for my $$$. Really at 260 mb you could get away with the $35 plan. I rack up 1GB of data per month after the throttle 2G connection alone ( mostly slacker and pandora).

winsyrstrife
River City Bounce
Premium
Brooklyn, NY
reply to MovieLover76
Yes the 100 minutes can be annoying. I usually add additional funds to cover overages. My friends like to run their mouths...

The Simple Mobile sounds like a good option. I'll take it into consideration. I'm trying to remain loyal to T-Mobile as long as possible. The next plan in T-Mobile prepaid is $50 and 50MB of data. I need an in-between.

Since Simple Mobile is a T-Mobile reseller, I suppose it's the same as being a T-Mobile customer.
--
"Suddenly everything is fainting, falling from a broken ladder's rung. There's a jolt exhilarating from the phone I'm holding...
I hear the words of what I'll become, how eager the hands that reach for love."
- Blind Melon - New Life

MovieLover76

For the most part yes, though roaming varies between mvno's
GoSmart I know does not have roaming, not sure about simple mobile, though my guess would be they don't.

Network Guy
Premium
join:2000-08-25
New York
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Future Nine Corp..
·T-Mobile US
reply to winsyrstrife
I'm on Simple Mobile's $50 4G plan after porting away from Sprint. I've never done T-Mobile before but it seems to use the same network and when you setup the APN on your phone, it points to T-Mobile in one of the parameters.

I might be a happier camper than most since Sprint is an utter piece of shit in NYC, but web access on Simple is very fast. I never miss a call and text messaging just works. And if you use a rooted phone, you can tether or do wifi hotspot to your heart's content for free, even though Simple states on their site that it is not allowed.

djdanska
Rudie32
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-21
San Diego, CA
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to anonphoneuse

said by anonphoneuse :

i wonder if this is really congestion based priority in that if there is excess capacity everything goes as fast as the network can handle. at l;east that is what i would consider congestion based throttling/prioritizing.

The 5 and 10Gb NON-Unlimited plans get priority over the fully unlimited too. But, it's not throttling or anything like they usually use. It's entirely livable and in all honestly, not even noticeable. My wifi hotspot with 10Gb plan can get 20Mb and unlimited nexus 4 may drop to 15Mb down instead.
--
The day the child realizes that all adults are imperfect, he becomes an adolescent; the day he forgives them, he becomes an adult. The day he forgives himself, he becomes wise.
Alden Nowlan

MovieLover76

reply to Network Guy

Sprint's current 3G network is sh*t in a wide array of places, including where I live in suburban NJ. The reason the majority of Sprint users and so excited about sprint is because of the plans to fix their horrible network, not because the current network is good.
Obviously omitting places that already have LTE and network vision.

axus

join:2001-06-18
Washington, DC
reply to winsyrstrife
Does Google Voice go over the data connection without using minutes?

elray

join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·EarthLink
reply to morbo

said by morbo:

The price is identical to compete with Wal-Mart's StraightTalk plan of unlimited everything for $45 a month.

The honesty of telling users they may be prioritized (dropped/throttled) when there is congestion is refreshing. I think the policy is the same for StraightTalk, but users aren't told about it.

It may be identical, but the opportunity to buy it from TMobile, without involving a Walmart or StraightTalk is a huge win.

The ambiguity of ST's usage policy kills their potential.
I take no issue with limits, but they need be spelled out clearly.

jap
Premium
join:2003-08-10
038xx

No roaming = StaySmart by GoingNowhere

This month marks my 1st anniversary with T-Mo on their $30/mo flat cost for 1500mins voice/text (each in or out msg = 1min) + 3MB data + national roaming. Usage is clustered in the 900-1200 mins range with one month of the last eleven at 1390 and three months sub 900. I don't use data and text is disabled at the net level = voice only for me.

Would have liked to switched to GoSmart at $30 but the no roam = stay with what I have.

rrm

@clearwire-wmx.net

check out ultra.me

check out ultra.me... I have been using them for 3 months and they are a TMobile MVNO.

winsyrstrife
River City Bounce
Premium
Brooklyn, NY
reply to axus

From what I've seen in the time I used it, Google Voice uses minutes from your existing service plan.

I did try Groove IP, but the quality was quite poor.

TBBroadband

join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH
reply to m3nphls

GoSmart isn't really an MVNO- it's just T-Mobile using another brand- such as Virgin Mobile USA and Boost- they're no longer MVNOs just prepaid brands.

TBBroadband

join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH
reply to anonphoneuse

I'm on an MVNO and I never had to endit my APNs to get MMS working.

rocketr

join:2003-10-09
Pinckney, MI

Best MVNO

Solavei is best $49 for 4gig of true 4G data. I get usually 10-15mbit. Also Solavei is only MVNO with full data roaming (not just voice roaming). I roamed on AT&T HSPA and actually got 4mbit speed. I don't even think T-Mobile direct post-paid gets that.