spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-02-20 14:27:49: A month or so ago Time Warner Cable proudly proclaimed that the company would be banning some gun ads, specifically "ads showing semi-automatic weapons and guns pointed at people. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · next

ptbarnett

join:2002-09-30
Lewisville, TX

1 recommendation

It's their right.

Comcast and NBC are a private company. They have the right to choose what they broadcast.

However, one should remember their actions when viewing their purported "neutral" coverage of related issues.

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:4

The constitutional right to advertise...

...?
Freedom of speech is to prevent Gov't from masking your viewpoint and only applies in a very limited way to private institutions.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170
kudos:2

1 recommendation

Congress shall make no law...

...Comcrap can do whatever it wants.

shimonmor
Premium
join:2000-12-30
Sedro Woolley, WA

5 recommendations

Hypocrisy

Will they ban programming "showing semi-automatic weapons and guns pointed at people"? If not, they are hypocrites. Among other things.

gatorkram
Need for Speed
Premium
join:2002-07-22
Winterville, NC
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Suddenlink

Perfect idea for an ad.

Someone should put together an ad, featuring someone smoking, drinking hard liquor and pointing an M16 at someone.

I guess it could be a GoDaddy commercial or maybe Nascar.
--
What the heck is a GatorKram? »www.gatorkram.com

tshirt
Premium,MVM
Snohomish, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to ptbarnett

Re: It's their right.

said by ptbarnett:

Comcast and NBC are a private company. They have the right to choose what they broadcast.

And in fact, live under tighter restrictions (FCC, FTC, etc.) on what they may publicly display then any individual, and most other businesses.
They are constantly admonished for failing to be MORE diligent in their restriction in the broadcast of actual events like nipple slips and violent crime scenes and should be at least as strict in ads and dramatic content over which they have full control.

Kearnstd
Elf Wizard
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
kudos:1

Gun stores have ads?

I must admit I have never seen a gun shop or gun company ad on TV. I have seen guns advertised in magazines, but never on TV.

Though I guess Dirty Harry could be seen as one big ad for the .44 magnum. And it did in fact increase sales of the weapon.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
reply to gatorkram

Re: Perfect idea for an ad.

dup

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
reply to gatorkram

Tobacco ads were banned long ago.

TheHelpful1
Premium
join:2002-01-11
Upper Marlboro, MD
reply to gatorkram

said by gatorkram:

Someone should put together an ad, featuring someone smoking, drinking hard liquor and pointing an M16 at someone.

I hope you are being sarcastic otherwise you are showing how woefully ignorant the masses have become by the deluge of the media saying "military style assault weapon".

M16 != AR-15.
--
"My weakness is that I care too much"

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
reply to Bob4

said by Bob4:

Tobacco ads were banned long ago.

by the government.. and i wonder if that ban applies to cable.
--
* seek help if having trouble coping
--Standard disclaimers apply.--

TheHelpful1
Premium
join:2002-01-11
Upper Marlboro, MD
reply to shimonmor

Re: Hypocrisy

ABC is really no different. They asked Adam Lambert not to perform on GMA after he open mouth kissed another dude, but they are also the home of Modern family which features two gay parents. Go figure.
--
"My weakness is that I care too much"

jbob
Reach Out and Touch Someone
Premium
join:2004-04-26
Little Rock, AR

Alcohol Ads?

Alcohol is responsible for more deaths than guns....by a long shot(hmmmm pun). Will they too ban alcohol and liquor ads? Not hardly because Ad revenue from alcohol sales dwarfs gun sale Ad revenue.

Simba7
I Void Warranties

join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT
reply to shimonmor

Haha.. At least they're not CBS. That would mean cancelling (almost) every show on their network.

ISurfTooMuch

join:2007-04-23
Tuscaloosa, AL
reply to AVD

Interesting question, and I'm not sure it's ever been answered.

My guess would be that cable could show them. After all, the government tried to apply indecency laws to cable, but the Supreme Court struck that down.

Many years ago, some states, banned radio and TV stations from airing ads for hard liquor and possibly wine, but that ban was eventually struck down. Can anyone recall if it was because of a First Amendment challenge or because it was a state van and not a federal ban, and states aren't allowed to regulate broadcasting?

ropeguru
Premium
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA
reply to shimonmor

said by shimonmor:

Will they ban programming "showing semi-automatic weapons and guns pointed at people"? If not, they are hypocrites. Among other things.

Completely agree. From here on if they are going to stick to banning gun company ads, then they need to ban all movies, tv shows, etc. that include guns in any way. This should be applied to not only NBC shows but every carrier out there that crosses Comcast's cable network.

Gilitar

join:2012-02-01
Mobile, AL

Their right, my right

It's Comcast's right to not show certain ads. It's my right to withhold my money from Comcast.

Transmaster
Don't Blame Me I Voted For Bill and Opus

join:2001-06-20
Cheyenne, WY
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
reply to jbob

Re: Alcohol Ads?

Oh this is a howler banning something they have never aired directly. FoxNews has ad's for the Henry Repeating Arms Company which are the only such Ad's I see on what I would call a general main stream channel. The Outdoor type channels are full of gun ad's but the people who they are targeting are watching these channels. This is like a fart in a hurricane nobody will even notice it. I suppose the could remove the "outdoor" channels but they are have a large viewer base, if they banned them Dish Network and Direct TV would pick up a bunch of new subscribers.
--
I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's.
- Mark Twain in Eruption

Noman

@comcast.net
reply to AVD

Yes, the FCC banned the broadcasting of advertising for tobacco products some time ago

jap
Premium
join:2003-08-10
038xx
reply to Kearnstd

Re: Gun stores have ads?

Exactly. This is an easy PR stance for Comcast to take. Half of TV content is one big placement promo festival for maintaining gun consumerism culture and that is where the value lays for the industry, including retailers.

Wilsdom

join:2009-08-06
reply to TheHelpful1

Sad how far things have gone when people try to support the 2nd Amendment by accepting that military/police weapons should be forbidden to the people

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5
reply to shimonmor

said by shimonmor:

It is hypocritical.
--
I will be perfectly happy if the budget cuts specified in the Budget Control Act go into effect. 3 cheers for the sequester. Take the money from the drunken federal spenders.

tshirt
Premium,MVM
Snohomish, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Gilitar

Re: Their right, my right

said by Gilitar:

It's Comcast's right to not show certain ads. It's my right to withhold my money from Comcast.

Sure is, call and cancel today.
Don't wait, no more empty threats, just do it!

FFH
Premium
Tavistock NJ
reply to Kearnstd

Re: Gun stores have ads?

said by Kearnstd:

I must admit I have never seen a gun shop or gun company ad on TV. I have seen guns advertised in magazines, but never on TV.

Now that I think about it, I haven't seen any ads on TV for guns or gun stores. But I live in NJ where guns are heavily discouraged by state and local government.
--
I will be perfectly happy if the budget cuts specified in the Budget Control Act go into effect. 3 cheers for the sequester. Take the money from the drunken federal spenders.

newview
Ex .. Ex .. Exactly
Premium
join:2001-10-01
Parsonsburg, MD

Comcast are hypocrites & liars

Comcast is just plain evil.
This is just another example.

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to FFH

said by FFH:

It is hypocritical.

Only between those that can't tell the difference between fiction and the real world, surely?

Adverts exist to sell real products to real people. Fiction is... made up.

Mind you, I suppose the gun-merchants could claim their adverts are fictive, using some appropriate version of "professional driver on closed course; do not attempt" bullshit.

ptbarnett

join:2002-09-30
Lewisville, TX

1 recommendation

reply to tshirt

Re: It's their right.

said by tshirt:

They are constantly admonished for failing to be MORE diligent in their restriction in the broadcast of actual events like nipple slips and violent crime scenes and should be at least as strict in ads and dramatic content over which they have full control.

I not aware of the FTC or FCC asking NBC/Comcast to not broadcast commercials for firearms or sellers of firearms.... at least not yet. This is NBC's decision, and the responsibility is solely theirs.

But, one has to wonder why they aren't applying their standard for advertising to the dramatic content they control -- either directly or indirectly.

[Yes, that's a rhetorical question]

jseymour

join:2009-12-11
Waterford, MI
reply to ptbarnett

said by ptbarnett:

This is entirely true.

Likewise I have the right to chose with whom I'll do business. For my Internet connectivity I have little choice, but, where video content is concerned: I have lots of choice. I have no subscription TV, but, were I to consider it, Comcast has removed themselves utterly and completely from any possible future consideration, with this move.

said by ptbarnett:

However, one should remember their actions when viewing their purported "neutral" coverage of related issues.

NBC is best-known, by some of us, as the media giant that makes stuff up. They did it years ago with the exploding truck fiasco. They did it more recently, but I don't recall the incident atm. (ISTR it involved some "artful" editing of some video footage, resulting in the segment appearing to be something completely other than what it really was.)

Comcast says they're doing this because it was NBC's policy. But it was Comcast acquired NBC, not the other way around. So Comcast's explanation is a bit disingenuous, in my view. Given NBC's past: It looks like they and Comcast will get along swimmingly.

Either way: Yes, both NBC (the initials of which many of us feel stands for Nothing But Crap) and Comcast (to whom many refer as "Comcrap" - coincidence?) have made it clear they are most definitely not to be trusted as fair, balanced or impartial media sources.

In short: Neither has any credibility, in my view.

Jim

FFH
Premium
Tavistock NJ

Comcast could suffer from some amp outages in rural areas

Comcast taking a public stance on this issue could cost themselves some outages in rural areas. Those big line amps hanging from poles along the roadway could become targets for some target shooting by annoyed good old boys(i.e. drunken teens).
--

cableman0327

join:2004-10-10
Westminster, MD

All Product Advertizing Should Be Banned

If Comcast or anyone else thinks Guns Kill & Not the People Behind the Gun, Then all Product Advertizing should be Banned, Specialty All those Vehicle Ad's.
page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · next