dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-02-20 14:27:49: A month or so ago Time Warner Cable proudly proclaimed that the company would be banning some gun ads, specifically "ads showing semi-automatic weapons and guns pointed at people. ..

prev · 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · next

TheHelpful1
Premium Member
join:2002-01-11
Upper Marlboro, MD

TheHelpful1 to Wilsdom

Premium Member

to Wilsdom

Re: Perfect idea for an ad.

said by Wilsdom:

Sad how far things have gone when people try to support the 2nd Amendment by accepting that military/police weapons should be forbidden to the people

They are not forbidden, just more regulated. A person can pay the extra fee and fill out the extra paperwork to acquire an NFA weapon, be it just a silencer or a full auto rifle. It will just take you 6 months or more for the paperwork to come back. Never mind that those weapons retail for more than the price of a small car. As far as the wait time, you are half way there in most places where State police run their own background check before the FFL will release anything to you.

gatorkram
Need for Speed
Premium Member
join:2002-07-22
Winterville, NC

gatorkram to TheHelpful1

Premium Member

to TheHelpful1
said by TheHelpful1:

said by gatorkram:

Someone should put together an ad, featuring someone smoking, drinking hard liquor and pointing an M16 at someone.

I hope you are being sarcastic otherwise you are showing how woefully ignorant the masses have become by the deluge of the media saying "military style assault weapon".

M16 != AR-15.

I didn't call an M16 an AR15, no clue what you are talking about. Are you the director of my commercial?

I've handled and fired many different weapons. I was in the US Army from 1986 till 1989.

With that being said, I find very little difference between an M16 an an AR15. I think it's very fitting to call an AR-15 a military styled weapon. I don't know if I'd include assault in that description.

Oh, I was being sarcastic too. Sounds more like an ad for the next big action movie, than for godaddy or nascar

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN

1 recommendation

cdru to tshirt

MVM

to tshirt

Re: It's their right.

said by tshirt:

And in fact, live under tighter restrictions (FCC, FTC, etc.) on what they may publicly display then any individual, and most other businesses.

But they are also using airwaves granted by the federal government for ultimate use by the people. The FCC already requires licensees to not discriminate in signing advertising content contracts, particularly to prevent requirements such as "no urban" or "no spanish" requirements.

Comcast and NBC are private companies. And I'm generally in favor of government staying out of telling businesses how to operate. However the government (both federal and local) have granted them a defacto monopoly or at least oligopoly both for the cable system as well as NBC. With that might come some responsibility for airing of commercials that they don't agree with, but are for legal and legitimate businesses.

TheHelpful1
Premium Member
join:2002-01-11
Upper Marlboro, MD

1 recommendation

TheHelpful1 to gatorkram

Premium Member

to gatorkram

said by gatorkram:

I didn't call an M16 an AR15, no clue what you are talking about. Are you the director of my commercial?

My mistake. The fact that you listed an M16 and Nascar made me believe you were suggesting they were commonly available to the general public.
said by gatorkram:

I've handled and fired many different weapons. I was in the US Army from 1986 till 1989.

With that being said, I find very little difference between an M16 an an AR15. I think it's very fitting to call an AR-15 a military styled weapon. I don't know if I'd include assault in that description.

True, the AR-15 is styled after the M16. My issue is with the mass media calling semi-rifles in general "assault weapons". Any thing I attack you with is an assault weapon because I'm assaulting you with it as a weapon. Even if I'm The Rock hitting you on the forehead with a Stapler (Get Smart reference)
said by gatorkram:

Oh, I was being sarcastic too. Sounds more like an ad for the next big action movie, than for godaddy or nascar

I'm seeing Arnold....in...The Last Action Hero 2.
mgamer20o0
join:2003-12-01
Norwalk, CA

mgamer20o0 to shimonmor

to shimonmor

Re: Hypocrisy

said by shimonmor:

Will they ban programming "showing semi-automatic weapons and guns pointed at people"? If not, they are hypocrites. Among other things.

my thoughts exactly.

footballdude
Premium Member
join:2002-08-13
Imperial, MO

footballdude to Kearnstd

Premium Member

to Kearnstd

Re: Gun stores have ads?

There's a gun store, gun instruction, and firing range called Top Gun in my neck of the woods that advertises on radio and TV here. The parking lot is always full and it's always crawling with customers. Their ads show guns hanging on a wall and people using them on the range, shooting at targets. I can't imagine a gun shop showing someone pointing a gun at another person. People that are into guns would immediately dismiss an ad like that as being done by idiots.

michieru
Premium Member
join:2009-07-25
Denver, CO

michieru to cdru

Premium Member

to cdru

Don't let the government touch anything else. We can't even trust them to do a task that a couple of 4th graders could do better. As far as advertisement goes they will just lose money and piss off a few customers and lose even more money.

The way they tell people to go screw themselves is by buying the company that allowed such advertisements and because it fits the political agenda it will slide right through.

Then when you decide to cancel your service the company will cry and complain that they will need to lay off a couple of employees due to bad sales and the government hands them a check with money that they pulled from your income for a bailout or to save jobs and it would look good on them and so will the company.

Since companies now are considered as people they can be on welfare too!

gatorkram
Need for Speed
Premium Member
join:2002-07-22
Winterville, NC

gatorkram to Bob4

Premium Member

to Bob4

said by Bob4:

Tobacco ads were banned long ago.

I didn't say the ad was for tobacco. I said the ad would be for godaddy or nascar.

Do people read before they reply?

The point of the ad, would be to put as much stuff in at, that everyone dislikes, or feels shouldn't be advertised on TV.

Sort of like all the movies that have people smoking in them. It's so important to be authentic

jseymour
join:2009-12-11
Waterford, MI

1 edit

2 recommendations

jseymour to dave

to dave

Re: Hypocrisy

said by dave:

said by FFH5:

It is hypocritical.

Only between those that can't tell the difference between fiction and the real world, surely?

Yeah, because everybody knows that showing pictures of firearms and firearm accessories for sale inspires violent behavior and the breaking of laws, whereas violent entertainment content has no adverse effects at all.

Oh, wait... maybe I got that backwards: Switching kids away from violent TV may lower aggression

Yeah, I'm thinking dave nailed it: Hypocritical.

Jim

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru to AVD

MVM

to AVD

No cigarette or little cigar ads are to be advertised on any electronic medium under jurisdiction of the FCC:
quote:
15 USC § 1335 - Unlawful advertisements on medium of electronic communication

After January 1, 1971, it shall be unlawful to advertise cigarettes and little cigars on any medium of electronic communication subject to the jurisdiction of the Federal Communications Commission.

NOYB
St. John 3.16
Premium Member
join:2005-12-15
Forest Grove, OR

NOYB

Premium Member

But Wait ...

Don't the "experts" say violent movies, games and such don't influence people to be violent. Then how can an ad have so much influence?

Guess it must just be the fact that it is an ad that causes it to be so effective.

When will they ban the violent movies? Oh wait that is free speech. Not until violent movies stop being a cash cow will they be band too.

In my opinion; hypocrites
westdc
join:2009-01-25
Amissville, VA

westdc

I Don't

watch or buy anything they advertise anyway - Not a problem for me.

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt to jbob

Premium Member

to jbob

Re: Alcohol Ads?

said by jbob:

Alcohol is responsible for more deaths than guns....by a long shot...

Actually that is not exactly true
CDC says in alcohol kills approx. 75-80,000 per year including vehicle accidents
while homicide by gun is approx. 47k and suicide by gun is 23,500+.
so the totals are very similar, and too many in both cases.
Bob4
Account deleted
join:2012-07-22
New Jersey

Bob4 to gatorkram

to gatorkram

nm
waycoolphil
join:2000-09-22
Cathedral City, CA

waycoolphil to TheHelpful1

to TheHelpful1
said by TheHelpful1 See Profile
True, the AR-15 is styled after the M16. My issue is with the mass media calling semi-rifles in general "assault weapons". Any thing I attack you with is an assault weapon because I'm assaulting you with it as a weapon. Even if I'm The Rock hitting you on the forehead with a Stapler (Get Smart reference)
[/BQUOTE :

I think what most people are referring to when talking about "assault weapons" are those semi-automatic rifles/pistols that were conceived, designed and employed with only one function/purpose in mind--assaulting and killing people.

Bob4
Account deleted
join:2012-07-22
New Jersey

Bob4 to FFH5

to FFH5

Re: Gun stores have ads?

said by FFH5:

said by Kearnstd:

I must admit I have never seen a gun shop or gun company ad on TV. I have seen guns advertised in magazines, but never on TV.

Now that I think about it, I haven't seen any ads on TV for guns or gun stores. But I live in NJ where guns are heavily discouraged by state and local government.

I'm pretty sure I've seen ads for Ray's Sports Shop on TV here.

tshirt
Premium Member
Snohomish, WA

tshirt to ptb42

Premium Member

to ptb42

said by ptb42:

I not aware of the FTC or FCC asking NBC/Comcast to not broadcast commercials for firearms or sellers of firearms...

I did not say that.
I said they are expected to edit/avoid imagery that conflicts with social/religious/morality stances that our leadership claims are important.
(an unnaturally high percentage of religious, and political leaders seem to get caught violating these same issues as compared to the general population)

Gun control happens to be the current hot button issue, hence the broadcasters new standards (something like the emperors new clothes )

IMHO
Any gun advocate who doesn't see a problem with the current lack of EFFECTIVE gun control, or who continues to bluster ahead as the NRA does, is doing responsibly gun owners a disservice which will likely lead to even greater (and possibly less sensible) regulations.
waycoolphil
join:2000-09-22
Cathedral City, CA

waycoolphil to cableman0327

to cableman0327

Re: All Product Advertizing Should Be Banned

And that would help solve our fake bandwidth shortage. Imagine how must faster the Internet would be without ads and tracking. Cable/Sat would have no problem with pixelation because nothing would need to be compressed without all those ads. I say bring it on!

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT

PeteC2

MVM

Advertisements are not "free speech"

Although I have no problem with either gun stores, or advertising their products/services, I see no issue here.

Media outlets such as newspapers, magazines, radio and t.v. stations/networks have long refused selling ad space to certain types of products or services...primarily those that anger or alienate their target audience. Like it or not, these are touchy times to showcase anything to do with firearms...that is just the way it is.

You don't see a whole lot of advertising for Nevada cat houses...even in Nevada vacation ads...go figure! (Hey, who knows, maybe they would get more tourists if they did...).

Whether Comcast's policy turns out to be a good or bad decision solely hinges on whether they tick off more folks who want certain goods/services versus those who are "offended" by seeing them advertised. It is always a balancing act.

A good point made by a couple of people here is that if enough Comcast customers were ticked off by the lack of gun shop ads, and subsequently quit using Comcast, then they would probably re-think that policy.

However, I rather doubt that in today's climate that is likely to occur.
TBBroadband
join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

TBBroadband to michieru

to michieru

You really think Comcast/NBC is going to lose a lot of money over this??? The gov't may have granted NBC use of the airwaves but once it is on a private system, that is different. But also, since Comcast/NBC owns the network broadcasting those ads, they are free to choose who they allow and who they don't.
TBBroadband

TBBroadband to jseymour

to jseymour
Comcast did acquire NBC but for the most part they still are pretty much separate companies.
NoHereNoMo
join:2012-12-06

NoHereNoMo

Well, sure...

because gun commercials drive people "crazy" (unlike non-gun commercials).

tshirt
Premium Member
Snohomish, WA

tshirt to cdru

Premium Member

to cdru

Free speech allows YOU to say "I LIKE GUNS", it does not guarantee that XYZ co. can sat" WE WANT TO SELL GUNS" in all venues.
This is a restriction of a product type regardless of the sellers age, gender, sexual identity, race or other protected class.
It would be a violation to say, only straight white males may advertise guns.

Mellow
Premium Member
join:2001-11-16
Salisbury, MD

Mellow

Premium Member

Advertise elsewhere

Time to brush off those old mail lists, the PO wants/needs the money.

jbob
Reach Out and Touch Someone
Premium Member
join:2004-04-26
Little Rock, AR

jbob to tshirt

Premium Member

to tshirt

Re: Alcohol Ads?

I wonder how many of those gun cases include alcohol? Whoops!

tshirt
Premium Member
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

probably quite a few.
All the more reason for gun laws to hold owners responsible for controlling access to their weapons.
Sandy Hook (one of the events that brought gun control to the attention it no gets) probably would not have happened had the mother recognized her responsibility to restrict her sons access to her weapons.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5 to Mellow

Premium Member

to Mellow

Re: Advertise elsewhere

said by Mellow:

Time to brush off those old mail lists, the PO wants/needs the money.

And given the throngs that have stormed the gun stores to buy weapons and ammunition recently, they really don't need to do much advertising. Word of mouth has them selling out their inventory without ads.

Gilitar
join:2012-02-01
Mobile, AL

Gilitar to tshirt

to tshirt

Re: Their right, my right

said by tshirt:

said by Gilitar:

It's Comcast's right to not show certain ads. It's my right to withhold my money from Comcast.

Sure is, call and cancel today.
Don't wait, no more empty threats, just do it!

Don't have Comcast... smart a$$!
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT

BiggA

Premium Member

Good

For all the bad Comcast does, at least they did something good. Even if it doesn't really affect anything, net-net. The gun crazies will still know where to buy the crazy guns.

Camaro
Question everything
Premium Member
join:2008-04-05
Westfield, MA

Camaro

Premium Member

Beating a dead horse

Said it before say it again, these groups »w2.parentstv.org/Main/ have the FCC on frigin speed dial and this is the result when they can get any negative news and turn it into a campaign for "protecting the children". Anyone who doesn't believe that it starts with these groups is ignant (yes I spelled it wrong on purpose).

The only reason they did this is to avoid being a target (no pun intended) as the gun battle drums on.
prev · 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · next