spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-02-21 08:29:16: Back in January, former FCC boss turned cable's top lobbyist Michael Powell finally acknowledged that caps on fixed-line broadband networks weren't actually about congestion -- after the cable industry spent much of the last decade arguing caps were .. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

shimonmor
Premium
join:2000-12-30
Sedro Woolley, WA

You don't say!

No new news here for those of us who follow BBR and those who actually care (probably about 2% of Americans...number generated unscientifically while sitting at my computer eating Doritos).

The real question is what can we do? Not much. Voting with our wallets isn't a choice for many people who have no choice (don't bring up satellite). Large corporations have large amounts of money and many lobbyists and many loyal congressmen in their pockets who do their bidding. They rest of us just need to bend over.

Sorry, feeling a little bitter...or is it indigestion from too many Doritos?

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

Cable wants MAX profits - what a shock

Cable pricing strategies are designed to maximize profits. That is called capitalism. If they charge too much, competitors WILL find a way to move in.

Rob_
Premium
join:2008-07-16
Mary Esther, FL
kudos:1

DUHHH

Let's not forget telcos and their data crap. Boost Mobile only gives me 2.3 gigs of 4G data per month. Their service is horrible. I might be switching to CSpire which looking by their coverage maps, uses AT&T and TMobile.

-Rob

motoracer

join:2003-09-15
united state

Duhhhh

Better technology decreases the cost for data transmission. Why then do prices keep going up and data caps keep getting lower? $$$$$$$$

jjeffeory

join:2002-12-04
USA
reply to FFH

Re: Cable wants MAX profits - what a shock

How when there are monopolies and duopolies in the entire country? ( Oh you mean Dish or DirecTV).
There's a fine line between market forces and collusion...

newview
Ex .. Ex .. Exactly
Premium
join:2001-10-01
Parsonsburg, MD
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·Comcast

Just another lie ...

... perpetuated by the cable companies in order to screw their subscribers out of their hard-earned cash. The only thing that will solve this continuing problem is government regulation. Government regulation of the cabletv/phone/internet/wireless companies CAN"T be as bad as the screwing subscribers are getting now.

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

said by newview:

Government regulation of the cabletv/phone/internet/wireless companies CAN"T be as bad as the screwing subscribers are getting now.

Wanna bet?
--
I will be perfectly happy if the budget cuts specified in the Budget Control Act go into effect. 3 cheers for the sequester. Take the money from the drunken federal spenders.

SunnyD

join:2009-03-20
Madison, AL

1 recommendation

reply to FFH

Hard to find a way to move in when the incumbents are paying for laws to be passed to prevent any competition from being able to move in and/or quickly "buying out" any potential competition that manages to spring forth.

Premium
join:2012-06-11

LOL!

said by FFH:

Cable pricing strategies are designed to maximize profits. That is called capitalism.

If they charge too much, competitors WILL find a way to move in.

LOL.

Not with the current system they won't.

There are simply not enough different providers to make this a reality in the USA.

As a result the FCC needs to impose more harsh regulations to make the companies behave in a more reasonable manner while still making a decent profit.

shimonmor
Premium
join:2000-12-30
Sedro Woolley, WA

1 recommendation

reply to FFH

Re: Just another lie ...

said by FFH:

said by newview:

Government regulation of the cabletv/phone/internet/wireless companies CAN"T be as bad as the screwing subscribers are getting now.

Wanna bet?

Pick your poison.

TBBroadband

join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH
reply to Rob_

Re: DUHHH

You can thank Sprint for that 2.3gig cap since they're the true owners of Boost Mobile.

TBBroadband

join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·MegaPath
reply to 15444104

Re: LOL!

the FCC? LMAO! Funny! The FCC has a hard enough time managing the rules that they set let alone making any new ones. The FCC needs to keep their hand and business away from the Internet and let private businesses handle it. If there was truly a market for more than one or two companies in an area the market would support that. But in fact, the market shows it can NOT support it and the cost is too high for another company to move in. Have you really seen the numbers from FiOS TV??? They aren't what VZ claimed they would be at first. Have you seen the numbers for U-Verse TV? The same way. Why do you think that over builders such as WOW and RCN aren't expanding much- if at all???? The cost is tooo high and the ROI is just NOT THERE.

openbox9
Premium
join:2004-01-26
Germany
kudos:2
reply to newview

said by newview:

perpetuated by the cable companies in order to screw their subscribers out of their hard-earned cash.

Wow. So you're being forced into giving up your money?

whoyourdaddy

join:2013-02-20
Honey Brook, PA

now they

now they will have to come up with another idea to keep the CAPS in place like for the people the pirate movies and music and things so the caps will stay....

chip89
Premium
join:2012-07-05
Independence, OH
reply to shimonmor

Re: You don't say!

You said it no new news here!

whoyourdaddy

join:2013-02-20
Honey Brook, PA
reply to whoyourdaddy

Re: now they

PAY MORE GET LESS that's how this country works now congress cant do their job gas prices so high food prices going up and company's making record profets

elray

join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·EarthLink
reply to motoracer

Re: Duhhhh

said by motoracer:

Better technology decreases the cost for data transmission. Why then do prices keep going up and data caps keep getting lower? $$$$$$$$

The prices don't "keep going up", and data caps are non-existent or not enforced.

Our rates today are less than half what they were at the turn of the century, for 60x the speed.

NOVA_UAV_Guy
Premium
join:2012-12-14
Purcellville, VA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to newview

said by newview:

I've found that those who believe government control/intervention can't possibly make things worse in a particular situation are usually proven wrong. After all, inefficiency and laziness are hardly choice weapons to use in a battle against ruthlessness and greed.
--
The only difference between Bush and Obama is the group they're wasting our taxpayer money on. It's time to elect responsible legislators.

Ericthorn
It only hurts when I laugh
Premium
join:2001-08-10
Paragould, AR
Reviews:
·Paragould.net
·Paragould.net

Nothing will change...

The behemoth providers will continue to jack up prices and cap usage because it's how they "provide a better customer experience".

Until some federal agency or government mandates competition, it'll be business as usual, no matter what the facts show.
--
Ever try stuffing a melted marshmallow up a wildcat's ass? It can be done, but you have to like your job. - This Is The Way The World Ends by James Morrow - Join a DC club, it can't hurt you!

axus

join:2001-06-18
Washington, DC
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to elray

In 2000, I was on Earthlink DSL for less than I'm paying now, at 25% of the speed. Adjusted for inflation, probably about the same. Meanwhile, their cost to provide the service has gone down much faster.

Before that, I had a symmetrical 10Mbit university connection which cost us about $30 in fees for 6 months. I will be satisfied with the market when I can have that same deal again.

BiggA

join:2005-11-23
EARTH

Depends on the market

This is a HUGE issue in many markets where cable effectively has no competition. However, for others, like in suburban Boston, this isn't an issue, as they have fierce competition from FIOS.

It will be interesting to see what Comcast does. It would look rather hypocritical to give certain markets unlimited, i.e. FIOS markets, while capping others, so maybe they will be forced to keep the caps off? They currently have a theoretical cap, but they even say they aren't enforcing it.

FLATLINE

join:2007-02-27
Buffalo, NY
reply to SunnyD

All of that is reversible. It starts and ends with the consumer. We are in this position because we were ignorant. Were not so ignorant anymore. The facts are there for everyone to see. Now its time to put on the pressure. Pressure you ISPs for better service at a better price. Pressure you local politicians to listen to their communities. Our problem is not the lobbyists. They are irrelevant if we are doing our job as citizens.

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON
reply to elray

said by elray:

The prices don't "keep going up", and data caps are non-existent or not enforced.

Our rates today are less than half what they were at the turn of the century, for 60x the speed.

You're so clueless it is ridiculous.

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

1 edit
reply to TBBroadband

Re: LOL!

More clueless nonsense.

jagged

join:2003-07-01
Boynton Beach, FL
reply to FFH

what capitalism when cable is your only choice in town for many people?

whiteshp

join:2002-03-05
Xenia, OH

1 recommendation

reply to FFH

Monopolies don't get competition. Free market doesn't work when corruption controls the marketplace. That is the WHOLE point. Competitors can't move in because monopolies control the backhauls and can charge ANYTHING their mood feels like to raise rates (per company) on anyone who would dare try and compete with them pricing them into bankruptcy. Their lobbyists create constant legal red tape for monopolies to bankrupt mom and pop startups. Then throw in monopolies sign non competing agreements with other big carriers to gouge their areas for constant unescapeable rate hikes unless you want to live cut off from the world.

This is WHAT has been happening for the last ten+ years and for the same time there is ALWAYS someone saying "The free market will very soon fix the bad things happening right now!" "So everyone stop worrying already!" News flash it's been 10+ years and we still have the same monopolies grinding startups into dust. Nothing is changing.

We DON'T have a free market anymore. All we have for communications in America is monopolies who have vast control in who can be elected and own said elected. Then by proxy they get to staff their own regulatory agencies!
--
--
A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the corporations discover that money can elect representatives to vote themselves a monopoly, buy media to blame 'The Godless' and forced price inflation on the public.

YukonHawk

join:2001-01-07
Patterson, NY

Caps are....

nothing but a big pile of hot, steaming poop!!!

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

1 edit

Protecting revenue

Caps are the industry's answer to net neutrality as they cannot throttle Netflix or charge Netflix (or other Internet video services) for access to their cable plants. Comcast, Time Warner, and other cable companies are TV providers as their core business. Being an ISP and phone company are like a side business to them. It's like a tavern that makes most of its money from drink sales but has a food offering to compliment their drinks. In Biddeford, ME there is a place called Mulligans that is mostly a bar but they have food as well and the reason they sell a whole plate of food for under $5 is they burn you on the drinks like nearly $3 for a soda with no free refills. I compare that to a cable ISP is they offer broadband at reasonable prices but they burn you on the TV so if you don't buy TV they charge more. I see using Internet video on a cable ISP like bringing your own drink to Mulligans where the drinks subsidize the food.

I am pretty sure eventually the cable ISPs will refuse to sell standalone Internet and require a minimum TV purchase although I will remain neutral on that issue. Verizon did the same by requiring a phone line to get DSL.

If you subscribe to basic cable ($5.76 in my area), it puts you on the books as a video subscriber and you get the cheaper Internet prices.

Like I've said before, they have the same infrastructure costs regardless of the products a subscriber subscribes to.

I just don't understand what is behind all the cord cutting. When I was young, many people gladly subscribed to cable. I was excited when I first got cable and I never looked back.

It would be nice if I could watch TV on my iPad, it will be nice when Comcast launches AnyPlay in my area.

--
I've experienced ImOn (when they were McLeod USA), Mediacom, Comcast, and Time Warner. They are much better than broadcast TV.

I have not and will not cut the cord.

jjeffeory

USA
reply to openbox9

IF you want to participate in modern society, uh yea... This is like saying Oh so you're being forced to pay for rent or a mortgage. Good luck with that argument really...

jjeffeory

USA
reply to elray

Then why is the bill two or three times what it was at the turn of the century while most people's pay isn't?