dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-02-22 08:39:17: In addition to new rules requiring that signal booster owners get carrier approval to use those devices, the FCC this week also claimed to have made some rule changes that will tackle what the agency insists is an emergency congestion epidemic facing.. ..

prev · 1 · 2

MovieLover76
join:2009-09-11
Cherry Hill, NJ

MovieLover76 to PapaMidnight

to PapaMidnight

Re: Wi-Fi

That's what I always did when I lived in a rented house that needed two AP's to cover the entire house, Was much easier.
meowmeow
join:2003-07-26
Helena, MT

meowmeow to MovieLover76

to MovieLover76

Re: 5gz

In my opinion they should only provide 1, 5, and 9 as channel options BUT the problem would be legacy 1-6-11 deployments. Channel 13 would be on Euro routers.

Regardless, 2,3,4,7,8,10, and 12 should just be removed. There's NEVER a reason to use those - ever.

tonyram57
join:2001-11-08
Brooklyn, NY

tonyram57 to iansltx

to iansltx

Re: The FCC can't add more 2.4 spectrum...and more 5GHz is good

I have 68 other WiFi networks on 2.4 Ghz. All I did on 2.4 Ghz was print and stream music on my 4th Gen iPod Touch. Even just streaming music was horrible. It will cause buffering. I had to keep switching from channel 6 then back to channel 3 back and forth because of interference.

I then bought a new iPod Touch and a new dual band router and I now have no problems streaming music on the 5 Ghz. My new 5th Gen iPod Touch is the only thing that I have that works on 5 Ghz. Even my Dell XPS laptop from September 2011 only has a crappy 2.4 Ghz wireless so I keep it plugged into Ethernet like anything else that has a Ethernet port is hardwired.
meowmeow
Helena, MT

meowmeow

Re: i would like to see special 'non commercial' spectrum

P.S. just to be clear on some reasons WHY this a horrible idea:

1. There only are 3 non-overlapping channels (1,5,9,13) and 13 is illegal in the US (thus 1, 6, 11 are usually used to get a bit more guard space for legacy 802.11b). If you made even ONE CHANNEL (say from 7-12) non commercial, you'd leave Americans with only TWO CHANNELS to use in large office buildings, schools, etc. That would be HORRIBLE. THREE IS BAD ENOUGH.

2. Since you'd have to prove non-commercial use, there'd probably be a license fee.

3. The law woud be blatantly ignored anyways.

SmokChsr
Who let the magic smoke out?
Premium Member
join:2006-03-17
Saint Augustine, FL

SmokChsr to cork1958

Premium Member

to cork1958

Re: I'm seeing more activity on 5Gig

said by cork1958:

Does the FCC actually do anything? Sarcastic question.

You'd be surprised, they tend to show up when you least expect them (speaking of the EB {Enforcement Bureau}). If you put up a 5 gig on the wrong freq too close to one of the new TDWR radar sites it may not take long for them to show up.

kevver
join:2003-12-11
Palatine, IL

kevver

2.4 crowded

The 2.4 GHz band is very crowded here in my condo complex. I can see about 20 APs, most of them are Uverse gateways that have wifi turned on by default (even if their wifi is never used).
There is only one other user on the 5GHz band.
When this new bandwidth becomes available, manufacturers will have to make new models of routers and adapters. This may take a long time. If you try to find a 802.11n "final" router it is still very difficult; everyone is still selling old 802.11 "draft" models.

maypol18
@meridiantelekoms.com

maypol18 to PapaMidnight

Anon

to PapaMidnight

Re: Wi-Fi

yes u can roam around but still u will need to reconnect since each AP has its own mac...and ull be surprised why ur signal is so low....either way works ^_^
meowmeow
Helena, MT

meowmeow to tonyram57

to tonyram57

Re: The FCC can't add more 2.4 spectrum...and more 5GHz is good

While sure not a fun RF environment (especially if they aren't nicely laid out 1-5-9-13 or 1-6-11), I bet 2.4GHz is workable. Look at something like Ruckus, their AP's will run standalone (controller isn't needed) and will handle a high noise environment far better. Cost is about $600.
prev · 1 · 2