spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-02-22 08:48:29: Cablevision has joined DirecTV and Verizon in charging a new "sports surcharge" that places the costs of offering regional sports networks into a below-the-line fee. The new $2. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

Transmaster
Don't Blame Me I Voted For Bill and Opus

join:2001-06-20
Cheyenne, WY

Finding out something very interesting

My prehistoric TV finally died. So I routed everything through the HD monitor on my computer, wow big improvement but what I found out is how little TV I actually watched. I had the old TV going but I paid little attention to it. Is it time to cut the cord? Pay a surcharge for something I never watch I don't think so.
--
I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's.
- Mark Twain in Eruption

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT
kudos:1
I used to do the same you used to do.. I ended up cord cutting but might get services back but using a HTPC for a dvr.. I still watch very little tv.

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey

1 recommendation

Dear Mr. Feldman

We want to be able to drop sports channels we don't want, instead of having you ream us up the butt with yet another fee.

Twaddle

@sbcglobal.net

Good-bye Pay TV

IF and when ATT imposes a surcharge for watching sports I will exercise my option by eliminating their TV services. I've just about had it with the Surcharges incurred to re-coup govt mandated fees exceeding the mandated fees charge. Their bundle includes channels(sports channels) I don't watch, don't want and can't remove so I'll be damned if I subsidize anymore crap I don't want anyway.

buddahbless

join:2005-03-21
Premium
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
reply to Subaru

Re: Finding out something very interesting

Same here. At MY IL residence I cut the cord yrs ago, between hulu, netflix, and crackle I have more than enough to watch, not to mention my 2TB DLNA NAS thats only partially full that has well over 300 of my favorite movies ( and 50+ disney movies for the kids) at the touch of a button.

winsyrstrife
River City Bounce
Premium
join:2002-04-30
Brooklyn, NY

Dropping TV kicks it down the line

I suppose you could drop TV. If enough customers do, but opt to keep their Internet services, how long will it be before the charges imposed on TV services are passed to Internet services?...

Then the question becomes how many are willing to cut their Internet cord? I can't (I frequently telecommute).
--
"Suddenly everything is fainting, falling from a broken ladder's rung. There's a jolt exhilarating from the phone I'm holding...
I hear the words of what I'll become, how eager the hands that reach for love."
- Blind Melon - New Life

gordoco

join:2004-06-05
Boulder, CO

Dish Package without sports

The Dish Network Latino Dos package does not include ESPN or other sports channels. It includes a bunch of Spanish language channels but also many of the popular English language channels, and for me is less expensive than if I bought the English-only tier that includes the equivalent channels.

Of course, if CenturyLink would ever offer real broadband in my area rather than this 1.5 Mbps crap, I'd cut the cord (or rather, shoot down the satellite).

adkinsjm

join:2004-10-13
Cuyahoga Falls, OH
reply to Bob4

Re: Dear Mr. Feldman

The providers would love to offer packages without ESPN or regional sports networks.

rick0204

join:2009-05-20
North Bergen, NJ

Outrageous!

Charging us an extra fee for channels that we are not able to unsubscribe from. How can any sane person justify this fee? Cablevision has a non-sports package - Economy - for $39.95. I would like to know if the surcharge applies to that package as well.

jtel

join:2005-06-28
Bristol, RI

Court Challenge

I think this opens the flood gate to allow customers who do not watch sports to challenge the fee because it's out in the open as a separate charge. It's itemizing it rather than bundling.

Jon
Premium
join:2001-01-20
Lisle, IL

Meh

Everyone that has cable, IPTV etc.. pays for a lot of crap they never watch. It will always be the case until someone offers an a la carte option

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

Sports fee for non sports channels

In my area, Comcast has included Turner Classic Movies and Fox Movie Channel (that my mother likes to watch) in the sports entertainment package. It's a moot point now as I subscribe to the Xfinity Triple Play Premier package that includes all the channels.

I just wish the cable/satellite providers would bring on the carriage disputes with ESPN as that channel makes up a good chunk of a cable bill with its high per-subscriber fee. Cable providers these days are not reluctant to blackout channels or clusters of channels to get their way with programming provider. I personally think ESPN should be a part of a premium sports package.
--
I've experienced ImOn (when they were McLeod USA), Mediacom, Comcast, and Time Warner. They are much better than broadcast TV.

I have not and will not cut the cord.

whoyourdaddy

join:2013-02-20
Honey Brook, PA

company's still wont learn

keep it up keep it up keep increasing the was cost of cable people will cut the cord and the wonder why. anyway directv and the cable co' are bad on doing this increasing customers bills 2-3 times a year is plan sick.

OdinFaktor

join:2001-02-12
USA
reply to buddahbless

Same thing happened here. Had only a small standard TV, bought a huge flat LED smart TV, realized I wasn't watching much cable -----> so I cut the cord and subscribed to Netflix.

Conclusion, watch more TV with family. Happy to have permanently reduced my monthly bills (by a lot!)

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7
reply to Bob4

Dear Mr. Bob,

You're welcome. Now bend over.

Sincerely,
Mr. Fledman

Transmaster

Cheyenne, WY
reply to OdinFaktor

I am looking at a VPN connection to the UK so I can watch their TV. It is better. BBC-2 just got done with season 4 of Great British Railway Journeys presented by Michael Portillo. The series has 25 1/2 hour episodes in which Michael Protillo uses what is called a "Bradshaw" which is a train schedule and travel quide that was published by John Bradshaw starting in 1840. He travels the UK, and Irish rail system to see how many of the things mentioned in the Bradshaw Guides are still there. I have several editions of these Bradshaws starting with the 1840 edition loaded onto my iPad and I can follow Michael in his travels there is nothing like it on American TV. Most of the good stuff we do see on the Discovery Channel, History Channels, NatGeo first aired in the UK although many of them are edited to the point where they are unrecognizable garbage.
--
I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's.
- Mark Twain in Eruption

OdinFaktor

join:2001-02-12
USA
Got any good solid guides about VPN connections, setup, and implementation?

Probitas

@teksavvy.com

subsidies

If business can't support itself on revenues from opt-in channels, then respectfully, those channels should die. At what point did we become used to paying for things that used to be provided over the air for free? We have to pay to watch commercials, which I find rank. If commercial programming can't support itself, charge more to the marketers, not the customer. I'm totally against paying for television with commercials, it's so bad even the movie channels have commercials.

It's like a lot of things, I think the main reason for these fees is because people are no longer taking it up the rear, cutting cable/sat services and moving to internet services which are of the same quality at far less prices, without all the commercials. And just try to force those companies to increase their costs, the don't even own the lines the service is provided on, and can do little to justify increased costs without some telecom company raising the rates on them to carry the service they stream.

xirian
Premium
join:2003-01-26
Beacon, NY
reply to cdru

PS the extra charge labeled "Lubricant Fee" does not actually include lube.

whoyourdaddy

join:2013-02-20
Honey Brook, PA
reply to Probitas

Re: subsidies

have the commercial programming pay more to be on the channels
don't make the customers pay more

Transmaster

Cheyenne, WY
reply to OdinFaktor

I am looking into to several the best are those used by businesses they are also the most expensive but still they are far cheaper then Cable TV. VPN is built into Windows so you can set it up on your own but I would like something a little easier to set up, like you pay your money get a Key, pick a country, and click enter.
--
- Mark Twain in Eruption

MxxCon

join:1999-11-19
Brooklyn, NY
reply to rick0204

Re: Outrageous!

Economy has "MSG Varsity" channel, so that will be CV's excuse to ratehike that package too.
--
[Sig removed by Administrator: signature can not exceed 20GB]

MxxCon

Brooklyn, NY
reply to jtel

Re: Court Challenge

I very much hope this will happen...

MxxCon

Brooklyn, NY
reply to Probitas

Re: subsidies

said by Probitas :

If business can't support itself on revenues from opt-in channels, then respectfully, those channels should die.

Or lower their running costs.
--
[Sig removed by Administrator: signature can not exceed 20GB]

mikedz4

join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·Verizon Online DSL
·Comcast
reply to Probitas
yeah it stinks that you can't watch hardly any college football bowl games on local tv. MOST of them are on ESPN which is a crying shame. Of course the NCAA won't tell abc/espn to show them on local tv for those that don't want to or can't afford cable tv.

jtel

Bristol, RI
Reviews:
·Full Channel TV ..
reply to Jon

Re: Meh

The cable companies know what they are doing by breaking out the fee. It takes the bundle aspect away and would allow a customer to say I choose not to get the services associated with this fee.

The reason bundles haven't been challenged is that they are bundles.

The cable companies know this opens the door.

jtel

Bristol, RI
reply to MxxCon

Re: Court Challenge

Watch before the end of the year this will be in front of a Federal court.

cchhat01
Dr. Zoidberg

join:2001-05-01
Elmhurst, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to winsyrstrife

Re: Dropping TV kicks it down the line

said by winsyrstrife:

I suppose you could drop TV. If enough customers do, but opt to keep their Internet services, how long will it be before the charges imposed on TV services are passed to Internet services?...

Then the question becomes how many are willing to cut their Internet cord? I can't (I frequently telecommute).

This is the problem. We already know what is going to happen if we cut one cord. Why not eliminate this entire problem by voicing out loud and clear "we want a-la-carte programming" at a reasonable rate. We want the shivers to be sent to the content providers who like bundling things, not to the deliverymen.
If they had an option, the cable/satellite providers would unbundle.
Dish was founded on that principle (I learned that here on DSLR).

I find that most people who come here - myself included sometimes - just whine about Karl's findings. Its a feeding frenzy where everyone feeds off each other's opinions.

WHO ACTUALLY DOES SOMETHING ABOUT THESE THINGS. I DON'T.
I seriously want to but do we really do anything but just express our opinions ? We just go about our business on a day-to-day basis and expect someone else to take care of the crap.

PS. Don't want you to think that I'm venting on you or something (no offense). I just had to say what I felt like saying.

chiggy
--
"Look at me, I'm Dr. Zoidberg, homeowner."

xpbx
220, 221, Whatever It Takes.
Premium
join:2000-11-08

just more of the same

broken promises. i wish they'd stop using that excuse

tmc8080

join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·ooma
·Verizon FiOS

drop in demand

with the rise of online streaming and freely available content the old business model will not survive. higher prices just expedite this process. in 5 years, the triple play bundle will probably die out.. as there is very little demand for video and all the expense it contains.. set-top rental, franchise fees, taxes, etc. you potentially have NONE of that with free streaming. whatever you watch is what your electricity pays for from the cablemodem/router/monitor(tv) and/or computer.

with all the scandals in sports these days their greed for more money astonishes... as if more money will make sports more respectable. imo, most sports have dragged their ratings down to reality tv junk. infact they should be paying you to watch.