dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-02-22 11:02:40: Though the FCC boss hasn't announced plans to go anywhere, there's continued speculation and gossip in DC that Julius Genachowski is on his way out after a contentious five-year stretch at the agency. ..

pandora
Premium Member
join:2001-06-01
Outland

2 recommendations

pandora

Premium Member

Hope and change this ain't

Hope and change this is not. Then again, no candidate who ran against Obama would have done anything different. We get the same result regardless of who wins.

Kramer
Mod
join:2000-08-03
Richmond, VA

Kramer

Mod

The Regulators are the Regulated

nuf said

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5 to pandora

Premium Member

to pandora

Re: Hope and change this ain't

said by pandora:

Hope and change this is not. Then again, no candidate who ran against Obama would have done anything different. We get the same result regardless of who wins.

The 3 candidates mentioned here are all Obama foot soldiers and would do nothing different from foot soldier Genachowski.

DaneJasper
Sonic.Net
Premium Member
join:2001-08-20
Santa Rosa, CA

DaneJasper

Premium Member

Wheeler is a good choice

I believe that Wheeler would be a good selection for the new FCC chief position. His cable industry tenure dates back to a time when cable itself was a disruptive and competitive industry, and his Earthlink board membership has likely given him ample experience with the issues ISPs and carriers have today.

--
Dane Jasper
CEO
Sonic.net

kamm
join:2001-02-14
Brooklyn, NY

kamm

said by DaneJasper:

I believe that Wheeler would be a good selection for the new FCC chief position. His cable industry tenure dates back to a time when cable itself was a disruptive and competitive industry, and his Earthlink board membership has likely given him ample experience with the issues ISPs and carriers have today.

--
Dane Jasper
CEO
Sonic.net

Right except the FCC's role is NOT to serve YOUR BUSINESS interests but to SERVE US, CUSTOMERS.

In other words ISPs can go ***** themselves as far as most of us concerned and I will do everything I can TO BLOCK this lobbyist scumbag to become ANYONE in the government.

myosh
join:2001-05-03
Cupertino, CA

myosh

said by kamm:

Right except the FCC's role is NOT to serve YOUR BUSINESS interests but to SERVE US, CUSTOMERS.

In other words ISPs can go ***** themselves as far as most of us concerned and I will do everything I can TO BLOCK this lobbyist scumbag to become ANYONE in the government.

Ummm, please do a little research about Dane's company before you blast him (which he doesn't deserve IMO). Dane Jasper's Sonic.net is one of the few remaining successful INDEPENDENT ISPs still operating. Sonic is one of the very few ISPs that provide direct competition to AT&T in Northern California by providing uncapped DSL and ADSL2+ service to residential and business customers (remember AT&T's DSL and U-Verse services have caps and overages).

In short, you want companies like Sonic.net around otherwise your only broadband options are with the local Telco or Cable, both of which are huge corporations that could care less what you think as long as the $$$ keep flowing in.
Skippy25
join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

2 recommendations

Skippy25

Call me crazy

But being that regulation of this industry is (well should be) about 95% for the consumers and only 5% for the actual companies in the industry I think the people that are chosen to regulate it should be coming from consumer groups and that have history backing up their desire to protect the consumer. Any industry technical knowledge they need can come from experts they consult with. However, being that they are really there to serve the consumers, they should be consulting them first and foremost.

Regardless I believe that nobody should be allowed to be an industry lobbyist for corporations and enter into regulations of the very field they lobbied for. I also believe that any regulator should be barred from lobbying for the industry on corporations behalf in any capacity for no less then 10 years from the time they leave.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5 to DaneJasper

Premium Member

to DaneJasper

Re: Wheeler is a good choice

said by DaneJasper:

Dane Jasper
CEO
Sonic.net

My bet is on the 1st woman FCC chair. It fits the way Obama thinks. The only positive I see is that she isn't a lawyer. »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ka ··· ducation

»business.time.com/2013/0 ··· ccessor/
quote:
Karen Kornbluh: Currently President Obama’s Ambassador to the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD), Kornbluh is a well-respected official who has been at Obama’s side since his days in the U.S. Senate. Although she has operated largely behind the scenes, her influence on Obama’s policies has been so significant that she has been called Obama’s “brain.” Like Wheeler, Kornbluh has a direct line to President Obama.

In the mid-1990s, Kornbluh served in various roles at the FCC, so she has a telecom policy background. Equally adept at policy and politics, Kornbluh is said to be mounting a serious campaign for the job. “She’s smart,” says one D.C. insider, “and she’s not going to upset the apple cart.” Kornbluh is considered a top candidate due to her close relationship with Obama, as well as her expertise in telecom policy.

DaneJasper
Sonic.Net
Premium Member
join:2001-08-20
Santa Rosa, CA

DaneJasper to myosh

Premium Member

to myosh
Thanks myosh for the support.

Kamm, do give a look to our press clippings, and you may understand why my endorsement is likely to be in alignment with your own agenda too. Here: »www.sonic.net/company/

--
Dane Jasper
CEO (but one of the good guys)
Sonic.net
CXM_Splicer
Looking at the bigger picture
Premium Member
join:2011-08-11
NYC

CXM_Splicer to pandora

Premium Member

to pandora

Re: Hope and change this ain't

Actually, I think Jill Stein would have done something different.
CXM_Splicer

CXM_Splicer to DaneJasper

Premium Member

to DaneJasper

And here I am thinking Sonic is a fast food chain!

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· vvDQidGM
old_wiz_60
join:2005-06-03
Bedford, MA

old_wiz_60

Typical government hypocrisy

The head of the FCC works for the carriers and cable companies, not for the people. Why would anyone think otherwise? The FCC head doesn't get paid enough and needs the side money.

Appointing a former cable lobbyist just shows that the government is there for business, not for people. Why even have an FCC when the head works for the very people they are supposedly regulating? That's like hiring a lion to guard sheep.

xNPC
As Usual, Have Nice Day
Premium Member
join:2000-11-08
Errington, BC

xNPC

Premium Member

meet the new boss

same as the old boss
TBBroadband
join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

TBBroadband to myosh

to myosh

Sonic is only independent as far as the actual first mile of the service. He still depends on the ILEC- AT&T for much of his last mile. That is not what a true independent was suppose to be. The carriers were given only CLEC status and to become a full carrier and to BUILD out their OWN network. Although most of them didn't and some only did it half way. By still piggy backing on the ILECs still they are not fully independent. Also when cherry picking your coverage areas doesn't help you much either and should be shown what cherry picking is. If you want to service an area, you should service the entire area.
TBBroadband

TBBroadband to old_wiz_60

to old_wiz_60

Re: Typical government hypocrisy

The FCC was not formed to help the public. It was formed to help the private businesses- Clear Channel- cut down on pirate radio. There is a whole movie/video about it.