spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-02-22 12:37:16: A highly-touted survey this week suggested that Netflix's foray into original programming with their new series "House of Cards" is paying dividends. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

brianiscool

join:2000-08-16
Tampa, FL
kudos:1

blah

The quality is poor, not a lot of new or old movies to choose from. Most of them I get dvd only no streaming available.

FFH5
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

House of Cards was a good series

When Netflix made House of Cards available, I watched all the episodes within a few days. I actually enjoy watching something that way instead of having it drag out over a period of months.
--
I will be perfectly happy if the budget cuts specified in the Budget Control Act go into effect. 3 cheers for the sequester. Take the money from the drunken federal spenders.

turnerbrewer

join:2011-11-22
Reviews:
·Comcast

I am staying with Netflix

I really enjoyed the Netflix show Lilyhammer. But, House of Cards has raised the bar. My wife and I love being able to watch all of the episodes when we want to. My family also loves that there are no commercials. We just cancelled our Comcast TV package. We are using Netflix, Itunes and an OTA Antenna for our TV watching. The big networks need to realize that in this modern day - people view TV shows just like an "App" on a smart phone.
They do no care what company or "Network" made the App. They just want a good quality App or Show when they want it and where they want it.

shortyd999

join:2008-10-21
Birmingham, AL

Good Show

I was skeptical at first about House of Cards but I really enjoyed it.Only took me 2 days to watch all 12 episodes and love the fact that they release all the episodes at one time. If they release more original shows, I hope they are as good as House of Cards and that will give me more of a reason to "cut the cord" lol.

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
kudos:4
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL

Not done the series but impressed so far

I watched it up to episode 7, it's excellent, I will definitely finish watching it, and if anything I'm going to watch more Netflix productions.

I think when I'm done this, I'll give Lillyhammer a go, which whas Netflix's first production, but didn't make as much of a splash.
--
Support Bacteria -- It's the Only Culture Some People Have

John2Jonnie
I'm An XXy Kinda Girl
Premium
join:2000-08-11
NJ
kudos:3

1 recommendation

Very Good Show

Both my wife and I really enjoyed watching House Of Cards. We spread it out a little watching two episodes every Wednesday night since that was a night that really had nothing on TV to watch.

REALLY looking forward to the next season. Thought this first season ended with a good "cliff hanger."

--
Where it all began: »groups.yahoo.com/group/TsDoItYou···ormones/

Not Another Moment Loss To seizures . . . . .

bionicRod
Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium
join:2009-07-06
united state
kudos:2

1 recommendation

Great entertainment and a great value...

House of Cards is HBO caliber drama for a fraction of the price of a full cable sub + HBO. I'm getting ready to watch episode 8; and everyone's right it's really good. If HBO had a similar streaming service, like HBO Go but subscription based and not require a cable sub, I'd cut the cord in a heartbeat.

clocks11

join:2002-05-06
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

HoC

I'm 4-5 episodes in, and think the show is outstanding. As good as any of the HBO shows. Very high quality. I, like most others, I love being able to watch them at my pace, rather that spread out over 3-4 months.

I thought Lillhammer was decent, but Netflix really up'd the bar with House of Cards.

decifal

join:2007-03-10
Bon Aqua, TN

When

When netflix completely turns their back on the dvd customers, they will tumble hard... We seen what just the simple threat of splitting the services did to their stock alone...

With pathetic caps, lack of coverage.. DVD's are the primary option for many of us.. And video stores have dried up... It would be stupid to abandon the dvd business with the current cap/overage/lack of penetration being done in this country...

c4junk
Premium
join:2004-05-08
Orlando, FL

Netflix

I watch Netfilx most every night while the wife watches American Idol ,Dancing with Stars,The Voice or some other crap and any TV we watch (even hers above) we try to watch from the DVR. Twenty minutes per hour and climbing of ads has killed live TV for us-- Hell I thought "pay" TV was to be ad free, I also thought that having your little home town station go nation wide would be enough, but they saw a nickle and took a dime.

bionicRod
Premium
united state
reply to decifal

Re: When

That is unfortunate, but if I were Netflix I'd have to think about the overhead of keeping what I imagine are the relative few dvd only customers that can't stream vs. releasing content to entice the millions more who can, with no mailing charges. Hopefully you have a Redbox somewhere close. I'm not trying to make light of your plight, it really does suck and I feel for you, but I think streaming is the future for most of us.

battleop

join:2005-09-28
reply to FFH5

Re: House of Cards was a good series

The only thing that sucks about that is you watch everything in a few days and then you have to wait months for the next season.
--
I do not, have not, and will not work for AT&T/Comcast/Verizon/Charter or similar sized company.

bionicRod
Premium
united state
reply to c4junk

Re: Netflix

I bought an episode of American Horror Story: Asylum from Amazon Instant Video last night for $1.99...and they had an unskippable ad for another show on FX before it started playing. Last time I do that.

FFH5
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5
reply to battleop

said by battleop:

The only thing that sucks about that is you watch everything in a few days and then you have to wait months for the next season.

That is true. But that is not worse than regular prime time series that break the year in to 3 seasons(8 episodes/season) and switch the time and day of the shows seemingly at random.
--
I will be perfectly happy if the budget cuts specified in the Budget Control Act go into effect. 3 cheers for the sequester. Take the money from the drunken federal spenders.

aaronwt
Premium
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA

1 edit
reply to decifal

said by decifal:

When netflix completely turns their back on the dvd customers, they will tumble hard... We seen what just the simple threat of splitting the services did to their stock alone...

With pathetic caps, lack of coverage.. DVD's are the primary option for many of us.. And video stores have dried up... It would be stupid to abandon the dvd business with the current cap/overage/lack of penetration being done in this country...

Just the opposite. Less than 30% of their subscribers rent discs now. The vast majority of Netflix subscribers only do streaming.

morbo
Complete Your Transaction

join:2002-01-22
reply to battleop

You can pace yourself or watch everything at once. Do you prefer to have no choice in the decision?

shimonmor
Premium
join:2000-12-30
Sedro Woolley, WA

1 recommendation

OK but not as good as BBC version

I'm about half-way through the series and I think it's "ok" overall. Not nearly as good as the original BBC series. But I applaud Netflix for financing their own programming. The other original Netflix show which was also "ok" was "Lillyhammer". Nothing great, but watchable. HBO definately is the king of original programming. They made some epic series such "The Wire", "Deadwood", "Rome", "Generation Kill", "Band of Brothers" and many others. If Netflix plans to compete with HBO on programming, they have a long, long way to go. Overall, Netflix streaming is a decent deal for me since I don't have any traditional TV or cable.

ISurfTooMuch

join:2007-04-23
Tuscaloosa, AL

Firefly, anyone?

OK, it might be too late for Firefly to return, but you get the idea. If Netflix can swing it, it might do well to make an offer to the producers of established shows that get axed by a network to get them to move over to Netflix.

The day that a show with cult status gets canned by a network and then revived by Netflix will be the day when the big media execs really start to worry. Because, if that show succeeds, every producer out there will realize that another distribution option has arrived.

mrexcelion

join:2008-08-06

Survey

So only 10% of those people had actually watched the show, and 86% of them would be 'less likely to cancel'. Odds are, if a subscriber is bothering to watch Netflix's original content they're probably not thinking about cancelling and feeling like they're getting their money's worth.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
reply to decifal

Don't forget means of delivery. The Post office isn't doing that well, and soon Saturday deliveries will end.

I think that shouldn't be a big impact on the companies that relay on the mail to deliver their games/movie dvds, it could add to the frustration.
I use dish/blockbuster and the turn around on a DVD seems to be about 4 or 5 days. Which is what Gamefly and Netflick's turn around was. Much to long IMO.

I'd rather pay a tad more [up to 15 bucks a month] to have their entire library streamed, and no more DVDs.

But I understand that there are those that like to rip the DVDs for their own copy, and those that have slow speeds to no internet service.
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
reply to ISurfTooMuch

Re: Firefly, anyone?

Netflix is bring back Arrested Development. They've been discussing it for a while now. Not sure when it will hit, maybe later this year, or early 2014.
Arrested Development has a "cult" following, so it may do will [I think I read over 2 million people watch the re-runs when they last aired].
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

amungus
Premium
join:2004-11-26
America

interesting

Interesting show. Not far into it. Curious how the characters develop I suppose.

They'll keep me as a customer if only because it's "nice to have," even if selection has gone south lately.

ISurfTooMuch

join:2007-04-23
Tuscaloosa, AL
reply to Snakeoil

Ah, I forgot about that one.

They might also want to consider bringing back one of the soap operas that were canceled in the last couple of years. Personally, I can't stand soap operas, but they have a following, they're relatively cheap to make, and they open up Netflix to a new demographic.

georgeglass5

join:2010-06-07
New York, NY

1 edit

Wish they had classic films

B&W & westerns, all this hoopla about net-flix just joined 3 days ago and was surprised there isn't such a big selection

nonamesleft

join:2011-11-07
Manitowoc, WI
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Callcentric
reply to brianiscool

Re: blah

said by brianiscool:

The quality is poor, not a lot of new or old movies to choose from. Most of them I get dvd only no streaming available.

Or else its unavailable to stream or some dumb thing like that. I canceled my free trial a few days ago, and haven't logged in since. I will stick with youtube and over the air tv and free to air sat for entertainment.

aaronwt
Premium
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
reply to Snakeoil

said by Snakeoil:

Netflix is bring back Arrested Development. They've been discussing it for a while now. Not sure when it will hit, maybe later this year, or early 2014.
Arrested Development has a "cult" following, so it may do will [I think I read over 2 million people watch the re-runs when they last aired].

Arrested Development is supposed to be released on Netflix in May of this year.
I enjoyed House of Cards. I watched it over two days the first week it was released. I am also looking forward to watching Arrested Development this Spring.

fuziwuzi
Not born yesterday
Premium
join:2005-07-01
Atlanta, GA
reply to brianiscool

Re: blah

said by brianiscool:

Blame the studios for that, not Netflix. Netflix makes available to stream everything the studios will allow, which unfortunately is not much. Yet another reason to fight the RIAA/MPAA creeps.
--
Teabaggers: Destroying America is Priority #1

codyyy

@embarqhsd.net

netflix wasting money

they need to stop wasting money on this stupid tv show and worry about getting stuff we want to watch faster than 2 years

millerja01a

join:2005-10-03
Durham, NC

I'm cutting the cord anyway...

So if a Netflix price hike meant I would get to stream more current movies and TV shows, I'm for it. I love DirectTV, especially how they will lower your bill if you ask them in an effort to retain you. However so may channels are rerunning shows I can't justify the expense anymore.

Cable has lost its value a long time ago.

For now, I see the Netflix streaming only plan reaching $20 within 5 years.

hurfy
Premium
join:2002-08-06
Spokane, WA
reply to aaronwt

Can't see them dismissing DVD too quickly.
That 30% is MILLIONS of people mostly paying more than $10/month

To be fair tho, i can't seem to reconcil their numbers for subscribers and income.

Personally, i find the streaming options lacking and i like to watch a bit of a DVD during meals, etc. and streaming is too awkward/slow to setup for that as i rarely have the computer on before work.

Thus i never even bothered to setup for streaming to my TV.
I do love the huge selection on DVD tho