dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-02-22 12:37:16: A highly-touted survey this week suggested that Netflix's foray into original programming with their new series "House of Cards" is paying dividends. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next
brianiscool
join:2000-08-16
Tampa, FL

brianiscool

blah

The quality is poor, not a lot of new or old movies to choose from. Most of them I get dvd only no streaming available.

nonamesleft
join:2011-11-07
Manitowoc, WI

nonamesleft

Re: blah

said by brianiscool:

The quality is poor, not a lot of new or old movies to choose from. Most of them I get dvd only no streaming available.

Or else its unavailable to stream or some dumb thing like that. I canceled my free trial a few days ago, and haven't logged in since. I will stick with youtube and over the air tv and free to air sat for entertainment.

fuziwuzi
Not born yesterday
Premium Member
join:2005-07-01
Palm Springs, CA
Hitron EN2251
Nest H2D

fuziwuzi to brianiscool

Premium Member

to brianiscool
said by brianiscool:

Blame the studios for that, not Netflix. Netflix makes available to stream everything the studios will allow, which unfortunately is not much. Yet another reason to fight the RIAA/MPAA creeps.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

House of Cards was a good series

When Netflix made House of Cards available, I watched all the episodes within a few days. I actually enjoy watching something that way instead of having it drag out over a period of months.

battleop
join:2005-09-28

battleop

Re: House of Cards was a good series

The only thing that sucks about that is you watch everything in a few days and then you have to wait months for the next season.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

said by battleop:

The only thing that sucks about that is you watch everything in a few days and then you have to wait months for the next season.

That is true. But that is not worse than regular prime time series that break the year in to 3 seasons(8 episodes/season) and switch the time and day of the shows seemingly at random.

morbo
Complete Your Transaction
join:2002-01-22

morbo to battleop

to battleop
You can pace yourself or watch everything at once. Do you prefer to have no choice in the decision?
Tycho2
Premium Member
join:2000-07-23
Grandville, MI

Tycho2

Premium Member

Amen Morbo. I spread out my watching of series for two reasons. I have a life and don't have time to eat them all at once and secondly it makes it nice to look forward to seeing what happens and only having to wait until the next night of viewing.
turnerbrewer
join:2011-11-22

turnerbrewer

I am staying with Netflix

I really enjoyed the Netflix show Lilyhammer. But, House of Cards has raised the bar. My wife and I love being able to watch all of the episodes when we want to. My family also loves that there are no commercials. We just cancelled our Comcast TV package. We are using Netflix, Itunes and an OTA Antenna for our TV watching. The big networks need to realize that in this modern day - people view TV shows just like an "App" on a smart phone.
They do no care what company or "Network" made the App. They just want a good quality App or Show when they want it and where they want it.

shortyd999
join:2008-10-21
Birmingham, AL

shortyd999

Good Show

I was skeptical at first about House of Cards but I really enjoyed it.Only took me 2 days to watch all 12 episodes and love the fact that they release all the episodes at one time. If they release more original shows, I hope they are as good as House of Cards and that will give me more of a reason to "cut the cord" lol.

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

Not done the series but impressed so far

I watched it up to episode 7, it's excellent, I will definitely finish watching it, and if anything I'm going to watch more Netflix productions.

I think when I'm done this, I'll give Lillyhammer a go, which whas Netflix's first production, but didn't make as much of a splash.

John2Jonnie
No Defeat ~ No Surrender
Premium Member
join:2000-08-11
NJ

1 recommendation

John2Jonnie

Premium Member

Very Good Show

Both my wife and I really enjoyed watching House Of Cards. We spread it out a little watching two episodes every Wednesday night since that was a night that really had nothing on TV to watch.

REALLY looking forward to the next season. Thought this first season ended with a good "cliff hanger."

TheBionic
Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium Member
join:2009-07-06
united state

1 recommendation

TheBionic

Premium Member

Great entertainment and a great value...

House of Cards is HBO caliber drama for a fraction of the price of a full cable sub + HBO. I'm getting ready to watch episode 8; and everyone's right it's really good. If HBO had a similar streaming service, like HBO Go but subscription based and not require a cable sub, I'd cut the cord in a heartbeat.
clocks11
join:2002-05-06

1 recommendation

clocks11

HoC

I'm 4-5 episodes in, and think the show is outstanding. As good as any of the HBO shows. Very high quality. I, like most others, I love being able to watch them at my pace, rather that spread out over 3-4 months.

I thought Lillhammer was decent, but Netflix really up'd the bar with House of Cards.
decifal7
join:2007-03-10
Bon Aqua, TN

decifal7

When

When netflix completely turns their back on the dvd customers, they will tumble hard... We seen what just the simple threat of splitting the services did to their stock alone...

With pathetic caps, lack of coverage.. DVD's are the primary option for many of us.. And video stores have dried up... It would be stupid to abandon the dvd business with the current cap/overage/lack of penetration being done in this country...

TheBionic
Premium Member
united state

TheBionic

Premium Member

Re: When

That is unfortunate, but if I were Netflix I'd have to think about the overhead of keeping what I imagine are the relative few dvd only customers that can't stream vs. releasing content to entice the millions more who can, with no mailing charges. Hopefully you have a Redbox somewhere close. I'm not trying to make light of your plight, it really does suck and I feel for you, but I think streaming is the future for most of us.

aaronwt
Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
Asus RT-AX89

1 edit

aaronwt to decifal7

Premium Member

to decifal7
said by decifal7:

When netflix completely turns their back on the dvd customers, they will tumble hard... We seen what just the simple threat of splitting the services did to their stock alone...

With pathetic caps, lack of coverage.. DVD's are the primary option for many of us.. And video stores have dried up... It would be stupid to abandon the dvd business with the current cap/overage/lack of penetration being done in this country...

Just the opposite. Less than 30% of their subscribers rent discs now. The vast majority of Netflix subscribers only do streaming.

hurfy
Premium Member
join:2002-08-06
Spokane, WA

hurfy

Premium Member

Can't see them dismissing DVD too quickly.
That 30% is MILLIONS of people mostly paying more than $10/month

To be fair tho, i can't seem to reconcil their numbers for subscribers and income.

Personally, i find the streaming options lacking and i like to watch a bit of a DVD during meals, etc. and streaming is too awkward/slow to setup for that as i rarely have the computer on before work.

Thus i never even bothered to setup for streaming to my TV.
I do love the huge selection on DVD tho

aaronwt
Premium Member
Woodbridge, VA
Asus RT-AX89

aaronwt

Premium Member

said by hurfy:

Can't see them dismissing DVD too quickly.
That 30% is MILLIONS of people mostly paying more than $10/month

To be fair tho, i can't seem to reconcil their numbers for subscribers and income.

Personally, i find the streaming options lacking and i like to watch a bit of a DVD during meals, etc. and streaming is too awkward/slow to setup for that as i rarely have the computer on before work.

Thus i never even bothered to setup for streaming to my TV.
I do love the huge selection on DVD tho

Supposedly the disc subscribers in the US are down to around 8 million, while streaming subscribers are around 27 million. But the Disc side is still more profitable than the streaming side.

»www.huffingtonpost.com/2 ··· 397.html
decifal7
Bon Aqua, TN

decifal7 to aaronwt

to aaronwt
said by aaronwt:

said by decifal7:

Just the opposite. Less than 30% of their subscribers rent discs now. The vast majority of Netflix subscribers only do streaming.

I doubt that is accurate.. But, let em cutt if off and we shall see I guess people got upset with the threat of a split up simply because? Like many say, the streaming video options are limited and usually outdated stuff.. DVD rentals is not.. Only delayed for a month or so for new release's... I rather have that than the streaming if I had to choose being its soo limited..

TheBionic
Premium Member
united state

1 recommendation

TheBionic

Premium Member

I have been a Netflix member for about 7 years now, started with 3 discs at a time, then went to blu ray. I dropped the DVD portion before the price split and haven't regretted it a single minute.

Streaming costs 8 bucks a month. If you're looking for all the new release movies you can handle for 8 bucks a month from anywhere, I believe you're bound to be disappointed. I personally really like the Netflix library, mostly for the TV, and the cost savings of that vs. buying or renting the hundreds of hours I have watched is just huge. If you want a new release rental service, Netflix streaming just isn't it. I don't know that I'd pay extra for it to be one, either. There are like 10 redbox kiosks within 5 miles that will rent the same movies Netflix has on blu ray for $1.50, and one B&M movie rental place left that has things the day they're released if I REALLY want to see it NOW. I feel like all my bases are covered.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium Member
join:2000-08-05
united state

Snakeoil to decifal7

Premium Member

to decifal7
Don't forget means of delivery. The Post office isn't doing that well, and soon Saturday deliveries will end.

I think that shouldn't be a big impact on the companies that relay on the mail to deliver their games/movie dvds, it could add to the frustration.
I use dish/blockbuster and the turn around on a DVD seems to be about 4 or 5 days. Which is what Gamefly and Netflick's turn around was. Much to long IMO.

I'd rather pay a tad more [up to 15 bucks a month] to have their entire library streamed, and no more DVDs.

But I understand that there are those that like to rip the DVDs for their own copy, and those that have slow speeds to no internet service.
markf
join:2008-01-24
Scarborough, ON

markf to decifal7

to decifal7
said by decifal7:

I don't think Netflix has anything to worry about with their stock right now. People who bought into Netflix in early January are laughing all the way to bank right now if they choose to sell. Look at the charts the week of January 23 or so.

Physical media is on the way out. Streaming is the future while physical media will be a niche product over the next number of years. They may keep DVD's around, but that proportion of their business is shrinking. There is a reason video stores are disappearing very quickly - there's no money in them.
decifal7
Bon Aqua, TN

decifal7

said by markf:

said by decifal7:

I don't think Netflix has anything to worry about with their stock right now. People who bought into Netflix in early January are laughing all the way to bank right now if they choose to sell. Look at the charts the week of January 23 or so.

Physical media is on the way out. Streaming is the future while physical media will be a niche product over the next number of years. They may keep DVD's around, but that proportion of their business is shrinking. There is a reason video stores are disappearing very quickly - there's no money in them.

That would be a fine statement if you considered the fact that fuel cost (driving to the store) for folks has sky rocketed in the past decade, as well as the fact that netflix hands down killed the local video stores on price and selection options. The final nail in the video store coffin was redbox and the at the time $1.00 rentals.. Why in the hell would you pay $3.50 to $6.00 for a video that you kept for 3 days, when all you needed it for was 1 night? Redbox basically took out the remaining pegleg of the video stores...

If you think streaming services are the future while all the cable/telecos are playing cap/rape with the broadband services, i'd say you indeed found some good kool-aid.. Dissolving physical mediums while usable broadband has severely lacked deployment is not a good move until something changes with the delivery market for internet access.. The current teleco/cable buddy buddy system is screwing everyone.. Even those of you with multiple options, though they are practically the same option (read:share plans att/verizon and soon to be others)...
c4junk
Premium Member
join:2004-05-08
Orlando, FL

c4junk

Premium Member

Netflix

I watch Netfilx most every night while the wife watches American Idol ,Dancing with Stars,The Voice or some other crap and any TV we watch (even hers above) we try to watch from the DVR. Twenty minutes per hour and climbing of ads has killed live TV for us-- Hell I thought "pay" TV was to be ad free, I also thought that having your little home town station go nation wide would be enough, but they saw a nickle and took a dime.

TheBionic
Premium Member
united state

TheBionic

Premium Member

Re: Netflix

I bought an episode of American Horror Story: Asylum from Amazon Instant Video last night for $1.99...and they had an unskippable ad for another show on FX before it started playing. Last time I do that.

Jeff
Connoisseur of leisurely things
Premium Member
join:2002-12-24
GMT -5

Jeff to c4junk

Premium Member

to c4junk
I'm with you. I'm a guy that really doesn't watch "TV" anymore. I don't set aside time to watch a show live, I don't give a shit about reality TV anymore, and that includes every single show. My brain allows me to watch one show at a time. I'm often we behind.

When Netflix raised their prices a while back, introducing a brand new tier of DVDs by mail vs Streaming, I did what I said I'd do here: I dropped DVDs by mail. Have not missed it.

Case #1: Breaking Bad. I only started watching it last year, on Netflix. Perfect delivery system. Can watch on Roku in the bedroom or Xbox in the Den. Without either device and Netflix's service, I would not have watched the show. I will not watch a TV show on my computer. No, I don't have a computer close to any TV so the HDMI cable route is useless.

Case #2: The Walking Dead. When I was finished with Breaking Bad's streaming episodes, I started this show. I can't get enough. I'm 2 episodes away from the last Netflix streaming show. I hear Amazon has the first half of Season 3, and my wife has a Prime account, so I hopefully can use that. If not, I will wait to catchup. Not going to buy the shows on Amazon or watch on AMC.com.

When I watch TV these days, I'm in bed, usually early. It's an absolute crime that every show isn't available for easy streaming to media devices that allow it.

aaronwt
Premium Member
Woodbridge, VA
Asus RT-AX89

aaronwt

Premium Member

Re: Netflix

said by Jeff:

I'm with you. I'm a guy that really doesn't watch "TV" anymore. I don't set aside time to watch a show live, I don't give a shit about reality TV anymore, and that includes every single show. My brain allows me to watch one show at a time. I'm often we behind.

When Netflix raised their prices a while back, introducing a brand new tier of DVDs by mail vs Streaming, I did what I said I'd do here: I dropped DVDs by mail. Have not missed it.

Case #1: Breaking Bad. I only started watching it last year, on Netflix. Perfect delivery system. Can watch on Roku in the bedroom or Xbox in the Den. Without either device and Netflix's service, I would not have watched the show. I will not watch a TV show on my computer. No, I don't have a computer close to any TV so the HDMI cable route is useless.

Case #2: The Walking Dead. When I was finished with Breaking Bad's streaming episodes, I started this show. I can't get enough. I'm 2 episodes away from the last Netflix streaming show. I hear Amazon has the first half of Season 3, and my wife has a Prime account, so I hopefully can use that. If not, I will wait to catchup. Not going to buy the shows on Amazon or watch on AMC.com.

When I watch TV these days, I'm in bed, usually early. It's an absolute crime that every show isn't available for easy streaming to media devices that allow it.

None of the Walking Dead Seasons are available with Prime Streaming from Amazon. All the episodes require you to purchase them. But the quality is better than what is seen from the AMC broadcast.
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned) to Jeff

to Jeff
said by Jeff:

Sorry but you can only buy the episodes at Amazon. They do come out the day after air unlike HBO which makes you wait MONTHS for shows like Game Of Thrones. If you want to catch up on season 3 of Walking Dead and you don't want to pay per episode or pay for cable then you'll have to wait until Netflix gets it which probably won't be for 6 months or more. Right before season 4 begins when that may be.

shimonmor
Premium Member
join:2000-12-30
Sedro Woolley, WA

1 recommendation

shimonmor

Premium Member

OK but not as good as BBC version

I'm about half-way through the series and I think it's "ok" overall. Not nearly as good as the original BBC series. But I applaud Netflix for financing their own programming. The other original Netflix show which was also "ok" was "Lillyhammer". Nothing great, but watchable. HBO definately is the king of original programming. They made some epic series such "The Wire", "Deadwood", "Rome", "Generation Kill", "Band of Brothers" and many others. If Netflix plans to compete with HBO on programming, they have a long, long way to go. Overall, Netflix streaming is a decent deal for me since I don't have any traditional TV or cable.
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned)

Re: OK but not as good as BBC version

said by shimonmor:

I'm about half-way through the series and I think it's "ok" overall. Not nearly as good as the original BBC series. But I applaud Netflix for financing their own programming. The other original Netflix show which was also "ok" was "Lillyhammer". Nothing great, but watchable. HBO definately is the king of original programming. They made some epic series such "The Wire", "Deadwood", "Rome", "Generation Kill", "Band of Brothers" and many others. If Netflix plans to compete with HBO on programming, they have a long, long way to go. Overall, Netflix streaming is a decent deal for me since I don't have any traditional TV or cable.

You do realize that HBO and Showtime where in the bidding for House of Cards.
ISurfTooMuch
join:2007-04-23
Tuscaloosa, AL

ISurfTooMuch

Firefly, anyone?

OK, it might be too late for Firefly to return, but you get the idea. If Netflix can swing it, it might do well to make an offer to the producers of established shows that get axed by a network to get them to move over to Netflix.

The day that a show with cult status gets canned by a network and then revived by Netflix will be the day when the big media execs really start to worry. Because, if that show succeeds, every producer out there will realize that another distribution option has arrived.

••••
mrexcelion
join:2008-08-06

mrexcelion

Survey

So only 10% of those people had actually watched the show, and 86% of them would be 'less likely to cancel'. Odds are, if a subscriber is bothering to watch Netflix's original content they're probably not thinking about cancelling and feeling like they're getting their money's worth.
amungus
Premium Member
join:2004-11-26
America

amungus

Premium Member

interesting

Interesting show. Not far into it. Curious how the characters develop I suppose.

They'll keep me as a customer if only because it's "nice to have," even if selection has gone south lately.
georgeglass5
join:2010-06-07
New York, NY

1 edit

georgeglass5

Wish they had classic films

B&W & westerns, all this hoopla about net-flix just joined 3 days ago and was surprised there isn't such a big selection

codyyy
@embarqhsd.net

codyyy

Anon

netflix wasting money

they need to stop wasting money on this stupid tv show and worry about getting stuff we want to watch faster than 2 years
millerja01a
join:2005-10-03
Durham, NC

millerja01a

I'm cutting the cord anyway...

So if a Netflix price hike meant I would get to stream more current movies and TV shows, I'm for it. I love DirectTV, especially how they will lower your bill if you ask them in an effort to retain you. However so may channels are rerunning shows I can't justify the expense anymore.

Cable has lost its value a long time ago.

For now, I see the Netflix streaming only plan reaching $20 within 5 years.

boohhhh
@comcast.net

boohhhh

Anon

Re: I'm cutting the cord anyway...

I have Comcast double play and NetFlix as a supplement and sorry, Netflix just does not cut it. It has very little material, no live channels, no news. It is just not the same as Cable TV. On the other hand, if cable continues to increase their rates, I stop watching TV all together. Unlike Food, I do not need TV Services, it is a discretionary income.
bgraham2
join:2001-03-15
Smithtown, NY

bgraham2

We use Netflix

Netflix sure beats Verizon on demand at whatever the Verizon on demand cost is now, $4.99 or $5.99 for a HD movie. We were adding $20 to $25 a month to our Verizon bill with on demand movies.

We get 1 or 2 Blue Ray discs a week. We dumped the Netflix download option when they started charging for both Blue ray and downloads. The download option never had anything decent anyway.

I still think that Blue Ray HD disks by mail is a good deal versus Verizon on demand. Luckily we have 1 day turnaround as the Netflix distribution center is 15 miles away.

Ytsejamer1
join:2008-01-18
Somersworth, NH

Ytsejamer1

Love this show

Am I the only person here to had watched House of Cards, then was wondering how grand it would be if somehow, Kevin Spacey (Frank Underwood) could have been seated SOMEWHERE in the chamber where President Obama gave his SotU address? That would have been classic...and made for a great commercial for Netflix and the show.

That show is a real bad-arse show and Netflix should be commended for putting out something of that quality. The talent in front of and behind the camera is nothing less than stellar.

Netflix continues to offer me value for my monthly bill. I'm happy at 3 DVDs/Streaming... It's a fair price for a product that is valuable to me. Unlike the 99% of drivel that would cost me five or six times as much to have from a provider.

Dryvlyne
Far Beyond Driven
Premium Member
join:2004-08-30
Newark, OH

Dryvlyne

Premium Member

Cable bill alone isn't that much

It's easy to just throw out numbers and compare Netflix to $100+ cable bills, but don't forget that a significant portion of a cable bill these days is for Internet service which is something Netflix can't offer.

When you think about it further the cost of that Internet service typically goes up when a customer just wants it as a standalone service. For example, I'm with TWC and if I opted to get the standard Internet tier by itself then my bill would still be around $60/mo.
page: 1 · 2 · next