dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-02-25 10:38:15: After several significant delays, the entertainment industry and most of the nation's largest ISPs are set to launch their "six strikes" graduated response anti-piracy efforts starting today. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · next
jc10098
join:2002-04-10

1 recommendation

jc10098

Well now people have a legal out...

They've read the material, spent 35 to protest their innocence (open router, etc), and thus when the MPAA / RIAA try to sue, have a ground to argue they didn't know until informed.

I highly doubt any ISPS are going to cut the cord. They aren't about losing money.
Joe12345678
join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL

1 recommendation

Joe12345678

just file a allegation ageist all IP's

just file a allegation ageist all IP's and do it say 10 times and this will die.

elios
join:2005-11-15
Springfield, MO

elios to jc10098

to jc10098

Re: Well now people have a legal out...

Mediacom already does after 3 DMCA letters not even proof you did any thing JUST the letters
TOTALLY couldnt abuse that get some one kicked off nope not at all...

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

1 recommendation

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

Just legally download your content

I download my music on iTunes and I can buy movies on iTunes as well. I have never gotten a copyright warning because I pay for my content and get it from legitimate sources.
silbaco
Premium Member
join:2009-08-03
USA

silbaco to Joe12345678

Premium Member

to Joe12345678

Re: just file a allegation ageist all IP's

For what reason? Making you angry? It is within the ISPs rights to do what they are doing. Like it or not.
silbaco

1 recommendation

silbaco to jc10098

Premium Member

to jc10098

Saying you have an open router will very possible just result in a loss of $35. They don't care. They are tracking strikes by account, not person.
jc10098
join:2002-04-10

1 recommendation

jc10098

Yes, but you've spent 35 dollars to profess innocence. ISP "exonerates you", and the MPAA / RIAA have now lost grounds to sue I'm guessing. After all, open router, hacked, etc, the ISP buys your excuse for the "fee".

If taken to court, bring said I was found innocent due to X reason. 35 dollars is a lot cheaper than the 1000's a lawyer costs to make the same case.
silbaco
Premium Member
USA

silbaco to elios

Premium Member

to elios
Quite honestly, I know 1 person who got their connection cut under Mediacom's 3 strikes. And they were completely guilty. I don't know of any instances of false strikes and I know of a lot of people with Mediacom. Most people don't even know it exists. That's how transparent it is. It took Torrentfreak years to figure it out.

Offender99
@verizon.net

Offender99

Anon

I'm pretty sure...

I read that after your 5th violation you get a 6 month term at a regional "Reeducation Camp".

elios
join:2005-11-15
Springfield, MO

elios to silbaco

to silbaco

a DMCA letter is not proof of guilt
its not proof of any thing really

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

1 recommendation

skeechan to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy

Re: Just legally download your content

Good job, here's a cookie.
Joe12345678
join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL

Joe12345678 to silbaco

to silbaco

how will you like it if ford sent you a speeding ticket based off gps reading that are not very reliable evidence. and said for $35 you can go to court to clear your name>?

cpsycho
join:2008-06-03
Treadeu Land

cpsycho to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy

Whats your IP address I can get it to come up 6 times easy.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT

1 recommendation

PeteC2 to IowaCowboy

MVM

to IowaCowboy
Iowa Cowboy, unfortunately in this forum, saying that you legally purchase digital content will only get you branded as a sucker...

anonphoneuse
@comcast.net

anonphoneuse

Anon

what about the 7th time ?

i have read that nothing happens after the sixth strike.

i have also read that ISPs will not be turning over information on subscribers.

so does that mean its a good idea to get the six strikes over with to enjoy unrestricted internet from that point on?

perhaps we(the people of the internet) should compile a list of likely false detected downloads allowing people to legally hop through the six strikes without actually pirating anything.
anonphoneuse

anonphoneuse

Anon

will $35 reset my count ?

if i pay $35 and win my case does it reset my count and i go through six new strikes?

if so it sounds much better to me to get the six over with since nothing happens after the sixth strike.

M22
@allstream.net

M22

Anon

Sux Strikes

said by IowaCowboy:

I download my music on iTunes and I can buy movies on iTunes as well. I have never gotten a copyright warning because I pay for my content and get it from legitimate sources.

So when you're given strikes for false positives then what? You can't prove innocence any more than someone who is guilty. Oh but their system must be 100% perfect right?
ke4pym
Premium Member
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC

ke4pym

Premium Member

Queue the class-action lawsuits in

Three
Two
One

cpsycho
join:2008-06-03
Treadeu Land

cpsycho to PeteC2

to PeteC2

I'm not saying he is a sucker. I do believe in buying content. What I am saying is, just because you buy your stuff legally does not mean your safe from this system.
silbaco
Premium Member
USA

silbaco to Joe12345678

Premium Member

to Joe12345678

That's not related. Ford doesn't have any rights to do so. ISPs do.

AnonPerson
join:2000-08-26
Lexington, KY

1 edit

AnonPerson to PeteC2

to PeteC2

said by PeteC2:

Iowa Cowboy, fortunately in this forum, saying that you legally purchase digital content will get you branded as a sucker...

Fixed that for you.
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

1 recommendation

88615298 (banned) to jc10098

to jc10098

said by jc10098:

They've read the material, spent 35 to protest their innocence (open router, etc), and thus when the MPAA / RIAA try to sue, have a ground to argue they didn't know until informed.

I highly doubt any ISPS are going to cut the cord. They aren't about losing money.

If you leave your router open you kind of deserve to get your internet cut off. Anyone spending $35 to protest is an idiot. It's called 6 strikes and then NOTHING happens so why bother spending $35? And I'll be $1,000,000 not one single innocent person gets flagged 6 times in a row. EVER. WILL NOT HAPPEN.
georgeglass5
join:2010-06-07
New York, NY

georgeglass5

Won't using

vpn-make these efforts moot?
Mr Matt
join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL

1 recommendation

Mr Matt

ISP's need not be accurate pull information out of anus.

If the same level of accuracy is used to identify the IP address of subscribers downloading copyrighted material as is used to measure data consumption against CAPS all is lost. I am sure that the ISP's do not care whether or not they are accurate. They will get $35.00 if the subscriber wants to protest a false accusation that they downloaded copyrighted material. Essentially the six strikes plan is copyright trolling. Since we have the most corrupt government money can buy, do not hold out hope that government will act to regulate data meters or insure the accurately of the linking of IP addresses to subscriber accounts.
InfinityDev
join:2005-06-30
USA

InfinityDev to ke4pym

to ke4pym

Re: Cue the class-action lawsuits in

I imagine the agreement to arbitration in everyone's end user license agreement would prevent lawsuits.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

skeechan to PeteC2

Premium Member

to PeteC2

No, you simply don't get special kudos for doing what you are supposed to do.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· _ekSrsEk

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium Member
join:2005-03-19
Mullica Hill, NJ

ArrayList to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy
where the hell can I download game of thrones legally?
ArrayList

ArrayList to georgeglass5

Premium Member

to georgeglass5

Re: Won't using

certainly will.
Mr Matt
join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL

Mr Matt to georgeglass5

to georgeglass5
Not if you never illegally downloaded copyrighted material and you receive a letter because the ISP was sloppy linking the date when you were assigned the IP address, that was previously assigned to another subscriber's account. So they send you a warning letter even though another subscriber previous assigned the IP address did the dirty deed.
silbaco
Premium Member
USA

1 recommendation

silbaco to ArrayList

Premium Member

to ArrayList

Amazon. Both seasons are available.
page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · next