spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-02-25 10:38:15: After several significant delays, the entertainment industry and most of the nation's largest ISPs are set to launch their "six strikes" graduated response anti-piracy efforts starting today. ..

prev page · 1 · 2
DanteX

join:2010-09-09
kudos:1

1 edit

Time to Openup shop I guess

edit
tmc8080

join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·ooma
·Optimum Online
·Verizon FiOS

so?

youtube still getting a "PASS" in this new system?!? last time I checked loads of copyrighted movies & clips up there...

»www.wisegeek.org/what-is-the-dif···ttle.htm

MJB

join:2012-01-29

Re: so?

youtube is charging money. channel will now cost money 1 - 5 Dollars a Channel. MPAA RIAA Forced Google To Do This. Welcome To Viacom Youtube.. THE YOU IN youtube is dead. Big Media. I guess it time to setup another site like youtube.
tmc8080

join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

anybody who pays google a cent for content (outside of advertisers) is a fool. viacom is another whole storm of filth which will have it's day-- to lose it's market.

MJB

join:2012-01-29

youtube will die if this happens... F*** Viacom + Google

moomo

@rr.com

vpn

vpnvpnvpnvpnvpn
Timothy28

join:2006-05-13
Lewisville, TX

six strikes

So let me get this straight, if i get caught 5 or 6 times I'll have my internet dropped to 256k for a few days. Then eventually i'll stop being warned or punished. Yeah this is gonna work just great to stop piracy.
Rekrul

join:2007-04-21
Milford, CT

Re: six strikes

said by Timothy28:

So let me get this straight, if i get caught 5 or 6 times I'll have my internet dropped to 256k for a few days. Then eventually i'll stop being warned or punished. Yeah this is gonna work just great to stop piracy.

No. Eventually, you'll receive a legal summons in the mail informing you that you're being sued for $500,000 because an IP address registered to you has been seen sharing copyrighted material one too many times.
Timothy28

join:2006-05-13
Lewisville, TX

The article clearly states that lawsuits aren't going to happen though.
Rekrul

join:2007-04-21
Milford, CT

said by Timothy28:

The article clearly states that lawsuits aren't going to happen though.

Is that like when my town told everyone that taxes were going to go down and then they raised them?

Lawsuits aren't officially included in the plan because that would cause an overwhelming flood of bad PR. Instead, if you read up on the details, data will continue to be collected on IP addresses even if no more than six alerts are sent. Also, the ISP will share your personal information if and when the copyright holder gets a court order.

Think about it for a minute; The copyright industry has fought every new content technology tooth and nail for the last century. They have argued that fines of over $100,000 per infringement are perfectly acceptable for the average person caught doing non-profit sharing of copyrighted material. They have tried to get laws passed to make copyright infringement a criminal offense. They have suggested that law enforcement should be able to seize the computers of people who commit copyright infringement. They succeeded in getting laws passed which make it a criminal offense (with jail time) to record a movie in a theater.

After all this, do you honestly believe that if the same IP address shows up a couple dozen times sharing copyrighted material such as music or movies, that nothing is going to happen? That an industry that thinks copyright infringers should be given jail time, is just going to give up if a person doesn't stop sharing copyrighted material after six alerts?

That's like saying that Walmart will scold shoplifters six times and after that they're free to shoplift as much as they want and nothing will happen to them.
DanteX

join:2010-09-09

1 edit

WHo wants VPN?

If anyone is interested I got a openvpn server on a dedicated server somewhere anonymous from prying eyes and free from Hollywood and will be willing to issue keys for a small monthly fee.

Contact me if you are interested

moomo

@rr.com

Re: WHo wants VPN?

funny

NOYB
St. John 3.16
Premium
join:2005-12-15
Forest Grove, OR

Poison

Seems like it shouldn't be to difficult to poison such a system and render it useless.

Me myself

@atos.net

Hypothetically speaking...

What about movies and TV shows downloaded via Usenet Newsgroups? No file-sharing, no Torrents, just a good old-fashioned nigh-anonymous download off one of the oldest parts of the InterWeb.

"Usenet: Unlike modern P2P services, the identity of the downloaders is hidden from view. On P2P services a downloader is identifiable to all others by their network address. On Usenet, the downloader connects directly to a server, and only the server knows the address of who is connecting to it. Some Usenet providers do keep usage logs, but not all make this logged information casually available to outside parties such as the Recording Industry Association of America."

smith_tor

@lstn.net

Use OpenVPN!

OpenVPN is the ideal solution for this issue, copyright holders submit DMCA reports based on torrent peering information.

OpenVPN is fairly easy to setup and servers are fairly inexpensive, you can get a Virtual Private Server(VPS) for as low as $15/year.
Within this server you can set all configuration settings, such as: encryption cipher, MTU, protocol, ect.

You can pick your server based on latency and provider(I suggest an anonymous provider that doesn't care about DMCA(usually offshore providers)) or whatever other criteria is important to you.
OpenVPN doesn't log by default and with decent encryption such as blowfish you can torrent with peace of mind.

Anybody who wants to Torrent safely after the 6 strikes would be a fool not to use a VPN.

JoeShmo

@comcast.net

warnings

I got four emails from Comcast informing me that my ip had been logged as having downloaded 4 individual copyrighted works. I have no idea what they are talking about, I download all my stuff at the University! But seriously, I am using VPN from now on =.

fiosboy

@verizon.net

Re: warnings

For any verizon subscribers take action by adding a "plus" to the verizon idea exchange:
»forums.verizon.com/t5/Share-Your···5#M23513