dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-02-27 08:21:49: Despite the faster speeds now being pushed through fiber and DOCSIS 3.0, there's many users who continue to suffer from the inability to quickly and consistently stream YouTube videos. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · next

Exodus
Your Daddy
Premium Member
join:2001-11-26
Earth

1 recommendation

Exodus

Premium Member

It's YT's Problem

I have 75/35 FIOS. I can pull down files at 10.5MB/sec, but I can't stream a lousy Youtube video on normal quality? I can't even get 720 to cooperate half the time and don't even bother with 1080. This happens at work, my house, my old house, on wi-fi, 3G, 4G, it doesn't matter.
m3nphls
join:2012-10-02
Brooklyn, NY

m3nphls

Before google...

All the issue started after google bought them. You'd think google might be able to fix this issue asap but oohh well....
m3nphls

1 recommendation

m3nphls to Exodus

to Exodus

Re: It's YT's Problem

Same here with FiOS 50/25. Issue is fix if I refresh a couple of times but its annoying.

diablo18926
R.I.P. Donald Lee Wise
join:2011-04-21
Friendly, WV

diablo18926

pf

You guys think you can't stream videos from here.. I'm on the friggin hughesnet with Gen4 and streaming videos can be extremely easy (alot of times but not everytime) i usually pull 1.3mb/s

timcuth
Braves Fan
Premium Member
join:2000-09-18
Pelham, AL

timcuth

Premium Member

The address range blocking fixed my problem

As seen in this thread:

»Youtube is slow

No more pauses or halts in all the tests I've performed.

Tim

TamaraB
Question The Current Paradigm
Premium Member
join:2000-11-08
Da Bronx
·Verizon FiOS
Ubiquiti NSM5
Synology RT2600ac
Apple AirPort Extreme (2013)

TamaraB to Exodus

Premium Member

to Exodus

That's interesting. I was disappointed that FIOS was not available in the new neighborhood I moved into. I had to settle for CV. I don't have your speeds:

But I can stream HD on 2 machines simultaneously while doing a large FTP download without a stutter.

I thought FIOS was the creme de la creme!
afro561
join:2002-11-12
Baltimore, MD

afro561 to Exodus

to Exodus
I've also had major issues on Time Warner with 30/5 service. Barely can stream 720p in the evening.
Kamus
join:2011-01-27
El Paso, TX

Kamus

On Telmex

For me youtube becomes worthless on any res besides 320p during most of the day, then it goes back to normal at night. My fix is to turn on my VPN, then it runs fine all day at any resolution.
Snowknight26
join:2011-04-06

1 recommendation

Snowknight26

Water is wet, sky is blue..

It shouldn't be a surprise to anyone that one of the main IP blocks belongs to XO. They're really a pathetic telco.

Exodus
Your Daddy
Premium Member
Earth

Exodus to TamaraB

Premium Member

to TamaraB

I can max out my pipe. The bottleneck exists somewhere external to my own connection.

thecybernerd
Premium Member
join:2007-01-05
New York, NY

thecybernerd

Premium Member

Email the Google NOC

noc@google.com

They can troubleshoot issues with you. More contact info below. as well as peering info.

»www.peeringdb.com/privat ··· p?id=433

dib22
join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO

dib22

youtube issues

by the way: OMG a youtube video on dslreports that will actually go FULL SCREEN!?!?!?!?!?! Am I dreaming?

Recently I have youtube loading problems during peak.... but not always. I am not on a big provider so it might simply be a case of them over saturating their (the ISPs) connection.

Outside of peak times I have had periods where it was a buffer fest, but after reporting them (right click report playback issue) they tend to go back to normal within a day or two.

Having experienced this off and on for many years I always came to the conclusion that googles algorithm was faulty in the youtube flash app.. and it was backing itself off. I am glad to see its getting some attention so we can figure out why we have to wait to see our cute animal videos
slckusr
Premium Member
join:2003-03-17
Greenville, SC

slckusr to timcuth

Premium Member

to timcuth

Re: The address range blocking fixed my problem

said by timcuth:

As seen in this thread:

»Youtube is slow

No more pauses or halts in all the tests I've performed.

Tim

Awesome thanks!!, Worked Great (windows 8/uverse) I havent been able to watch a youtube clip for weeks and now it streams all "p's" smoothly.

AnonPerson
join:2000-08-26
Lexington, KY

1 recommendation

AnonPerson to timcuth

to timcuth
I did a fix similar to this about 6 months ago and my speeds increased instantly.

Though as a fair warning, even the backup servers go slow on some days... so although this fix can give you relief most of the time, it won't work all of the time.

For those of you that don't fully understand what is going on, when you block the range of IP addresses to YouTube's primary servers, you're then redirected to the backup servers...which tend to get far less traffic and run far faster (at least until millions of people start doing this "fix").

Frank
Premium Member
join:2000-11-03
somewhere

Frank to Exodus

Premium Member

to Exodus

not necessarily, could be an isp peering issue

TamaraB
Question The Current Paradigm
Premium Member
join:2000-11-08
Da Bronx
·Verizon FiOS
Ubiquiti NSM5
Synology RT2600ac
Apple AirPort Extreme (2013)

TamaraB to Exodus

Premium Member

to Exodus
said by Exodus:

I can max out my pipe. The bottleneck exists somewhere external to my own connection.

Obviously. What services are impacted? Only streaming video?

brian
Premium Member
join:2002-05-02
Mission Viejo, CA

brian to Exodus

Premium Member

to Exodus
Really? I've had zero problems with streaming Youtube (including 1080p) at work (fat univeristy pipe), home (Cox - 18/2, but recently speed tests at 25/15) or over Verizon LTE. Hell, I was even able to stream some HQ cartoons for the kid over Target's wifi the other day. This story is the first I've heard of the problem.

chip89
Premium Member
join:2012-07-05
Columbia Station, OH

chip89

Premium Member

YouTube

I Don't have any trouble with YouTube vids.

Exodus
Your Daddy
Premium Member
Earth

Exodus to TamaraB

Premium Member

to TamaraB

Just the streaming. I guess the guy above is right, possibly a peering issue.
brianiscool
join:2000-08-16
Tampa, FL

brianiscool

Slowness!

I thought it was just my slow 50Mbps line. They must be reducing bandwidth usage to save money.

swintec
Premium Member
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME

swintec

Premium Member

said by brianiscool:

I thought it was just my slow 50Mbps line. They must be reducing bandwidth usage to save money.

It seems like every post you make about your connection you change the speeds you subscribe too.

»Re: 50/25 Upgrade for $10/month

What package do you have exactly?
brianiscool
Tampa, FL

brianiscool

50/25 Youtube runs quickly at first then slows to a pulp.

swintec
Premium Member
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME

1 recommendation

swintec

Premium Member

said by brianiscool:

50/25 Youtube runs quickly at first then slows to a pulp.

8 days ago you said you had 15/5 while under a 2 year contract though?

I am pretty sure in the Filesharing forum you were talking about Usenet downloading having trouble saturating your 150 MBit connection.
brianiscool
Tampa, FL

brianiscool

I downgrade and upgraded again 50/25. I couldn't pass up on a good deal for $70 a month.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5 to Exodus

Premium Member

to Exodus

Using YouTube HTML5 trial speeds are fine

I joined YouTube's HTML5 trial and speeds are fine for those videos encoded for HTML5. But when it switches to Flash, the speeds can sometimes crawl.

You can join the HTML5 trial at YouTube here:
»www.youtube.com/html5

P.S.>> Most videos supplied by content companies, as opposed to user submitted videos, have ads in them. Most videos with ads will only run in the Flash player.

noc007
join:2002-06-18
Cumming, GA

noc007 to Snowknight26

to Snowknight26

Re: Water is wet, sky is blue..

This. We've got a few trunks with them and they go down at least once a week. The telecom guys are constantly having to change the call routes to deal with their F-Ups. I thought AT&T was bad, but XO truly takes the cake. People in 3rd world countries must be getting more reliable service than XO.

whfsdude
Premium Member
join:2003-04-05
Washington, DC

2 recommendations

whfsdude

Premium Member

Measuring YouTube Performance

There was a great presentation at NANOG 57 about measuring YouTube performance.

It's pretty complex including if the video was played in the middle, what region it's being played in, etc.

»www.nanog.org/meetings/n ··· =nanog57

anon_anon
@comcast.net

anon_anon

Anon

Youtube throttles itself

Nowadays, youtube will give you 30 seconds of buffer at full speed, then throttle down the connection to about 1.5 times the bitrate. If you pause, youtube used to let the flash player buffer the entire clip, but that is no longer the case with some videos. They placed a limit on how much it will buffer when you pause. It's not a comcast related issue, it still does it over my hurricane electric VPN/IPV6 connection.

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium Member
join:2005-03-19
Mullica Hill, NJ

ArrayList to Exodus

Premium Member

to Exodus

probably on verizons network

Robotics
See You On The Dark Side
Premium Member
join:2003-10-23
Louisa, VA

Robotics

Premium Member

If You Are A Money Maker On YouTube It Seems Different

This is my opinion on the subject. And have noticed it for quite some time now.

copied from my earlier post on the subject:

"I could be wrong, but it sure does seem if you watch some of YouTube's big money makers/partners they load fine in 1080 but watch joe blow's video in 1080 and your gonna be buffering a lot.
I've noticed this for quite some time now. And its getting worse it seems".

Try it and see what you think.
page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · next