spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-02-27 08:21:49: Despite the faster speeds now being pushed through fiber and DOCSIS 3.0, there's many users who continue to suffer from the inability to quickly and consistently stream YouTube videos. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · next

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
join:2001-11-26
Earth
kudos:19

1 recommendation

It's YT's Problem

I have 75/35 FIOS. I can pull down files at 10.5MB/sec, but I can't stream a lousy Youtube video on normal quality? I can't even get 720 to cooperate half the time and don't even bother with 1080. This happens at work, my house, my old house, on wi-fi, 3G, 4G, it doesn't matter.
--
A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. -MLK
m3nphls

join:2012-10-02
Brooklyn, NY

1 recommendation

Re: It's YT's Problem

Same here with FiOS 50/25. Issue is fix if I refresh a couple of times but its annoying.

TamaraB
Question The Current Paradigm
Premium
join:2000-11-08
Da Bronx
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Clearwire Wireless
That's interesting. I was disappointed that FIOS was not available in the new neighborhood I moved into. I had to settle for CV. I don't have your speeds:

But I can stream HD on 2 machines simultaneously while doing a large FTP download without a stutter.

I thought FIOS was the creme de la creme!

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
Earth

I can max out my pipe. The bottleneck exists somewhere external to my own connection.

TamaraB
Question The Current Paradigm
Premium
join:2000-11-08
Da Bronx
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Clearwire Wireless

said by Archivis:

I can max out my pipe. The bottleneck exists somewhere external to my own connection.

Obviously. What services are impacted? Only streaming video?

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
Earth

Just the streaming. I guess the guy above is right, possibly a peering issue.
kerya666

join:2002-12-20
Valrico, FL

I noticed these issues since about 12/2012 ... I got Bright House (TimeWarner) + smart phone on AT&T's network and videos are absolutely slower up until now. Some videos constantly buffer and play a second or two and then go back to buffering ...even 240p quality.

Gotta test some of these "tweaks" to see if anything helps.

ChuckcZar

@teksavvy.com

It started about two years earlier in Canada (though few had high enough bandwidth to stream 1080P in Canada) and has finally spread to the rest of the world years later in the future. 100 percent certain the isp's in Canada throttled youtube but finally it appears youtube is throttled at the source now.

voiplover
Premium
join:2004-05-28
Portsmouth, NH

HERE is the FIX!

Taken from another thread
said by Xioden:

This might be of use to anyone having issues with YouTube.

This isn't Time Warner Cable specific despite the link/title text.

said by »dd.reddit.com/r/DotA2/comments/1 ··· ottling/ :

Sorry if this was posted before. I did a quick search and didn't see anything, but anyways...

Turns out that there's some bandwidth throttling that TWC does to cache servers that host video content for web services (YouTube, Netflix, twitch.tv, etc.).

To get around this, you can block the following IP ranges (Windows Firewall, ipfw in Linux):

173.194.55.0/24

206.111.0.0/16

By blocking these addresses, the videos will be served to you directly instead of being throttled by the ISP. You can read more info about it here. It should have some more detailed information and links to some videos and tutorials for Windows, OSX, and Linux.

I just did this in Windows 8, and I went from barely being able to watch Merlini on 360p, to watching him without skipping at 1200p+. Hope it helps!

TheRogueX

join:2003-03-26
Springfield, MO

Re: HERE is the FIX!

This worked for me.

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium
join:2005-03-19
Brighton, MA
probably on verizons network
afro561

join:2002-11-12
Akron, OH
I've also had major issues on Time Warner with 30/5 service. Barely can stream 720p in the evening.

Frank
Premium
join:2000-11-03
somewhere
not necessarily, could be an isp peering issue
iansltx

join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX
kudos:2

It's definitely ISP peering issues. See the post I"m about to make.

brian
Premium
join:2002-05-02
Lake Forest, CA
Really? I've had zero problems with streaming Youtube (including 1080p) at work (fat univeristy pipe), home (Cox - 18/2, but recently speed tests at 25/15) or over Verizon LTE. Hell, I was even able to stream some HQ cartoons for the kid over Target's wifi the other day. This story is the first I've heard of the problem.
--
flickr gallery | photo blog (rarely updated) | play mafia!
ke4pym
Premium
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC
Reviews:
·Northland Cable ..
·Time Warner Cable
·ooma
·VOIPO
·Verizon Broadban..

1 recommendation

said by brian:

Really? I've had zero problems with streaming Youtube (including 1080p) at work (fat univeristy pipe), home (Cox - 18/2, but recently speed tests at 25/15) or over Verizon LTE. Hell, I was even able to stream some HQ cartoons for the kid over Target's wifi the other day. This story is the first I've heard of the problem.

Consider yourself lucky. I have horrible problems with YouTube (and Maps) at home (30/5), work - 4 fat network pipes, on my 3G data card and either of my LTE enabled cell phones, all while sitting under a Verizon tower.

One thing I have noticed is a 480 clip will play fine. A 720p clip will play okay, but a 1080p clip, sucks hairy donkey balls.

FFH5
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5
I joined YouTube's HTML5 trial and speeds are fine for those videos encoded for HTML5. But when it switches to Flash, the speeds can sometimes crawl.

You can join the HTML5 trial at YouTube here:
»www.youtube.com/html5

P.S.>> Most videos supplied by content companies, as opposed to user submitted videos, have ads in them. Most videos with ads will only run in the Flash player.

--
I will be perfectly happy if the budget cuts specified in the Budget Control Act go into effect. 3 cheers for the sequester. Take the money from the drunken federal spenders.
Rekrul

join:2007-04-21
Milford, CT

Re: Using YouTube HTML5 trial speeds are fine

said by FFH5:

P.S.>> Most videos supplied by content companies, as opposed to user submitted videos, have ads in them. Most videos with ads will only run in the Flash player.

I've been using the MVP Hosts file for 2-3 years now and I literally never see any ads on YouTube. No popup ads, no ads playing before the videos, no ads on the site itself. Other than the commercials that people upload as videos, YouTube is 100% ad-free for me.

Tsume
Premium
join:2004-02-23
Johnson City, TN

1 recommendation

Even if you use the hosts file or adblock or whatever, it will still force you to view in flash if the video is supposed to have ads.
--
to whoever anonymously gave me premium membership... thanks!
Rekrul

join:2007-04-21
Milford, CT

1 recommendation

said by Tsume:

Even if you use the hosts file or adblock or whatever, it will still force you to view in flash if the video is supposed to have ads.

Mine is set to use Flash anyway. I forget exactly what it was, but I had some problem with some of the HTML5 videos.

antdude
A Matrix Ant
Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

said by Rekrul:

said by Tsume:

Mine is set to use Flash anyway. I forget exactly what it was, but I had some problem with some of the HTML5 videos.

I can't block HTML5 videos like Flash.
ke4pym
Premium
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC
Reviews:
·Northland Cable ..
·Time Warner Cable
·ooma
·VOIPO
·Verizon Broadban..

1 recommendation

said by Tsume:

I've never seen an ad on Youtube when using a browser with Adblock. Wish I could cram that on my cell phones...

Tsume
Premium
join:2004-02-23
Johnson City, TN

1 recommendation

I'm not saying you see ads, I am saying it forces you to watch the video in flash even if you are in the HTML5 trial. You don't see the ad.
--
to whoever anonymously gave me premium membership... thanks!

Whocares

@mchsi.com
If you are using android and are rooted you can use Ad block + for android.

weaseled386

join:2008-04-13
Port Orange, FL
I just joined, and -- oddly enough -- the same videos I had issues with this morning are streaming fine. Chalk it up to time of day, but not so much as a hiccup.
ArizonaSteve

join:2004-01-31
Apache Junction, AZ
HTML5 player still uses Flash! I can't tell any difference either way.

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK
It's not YouTube's problem. They want the eyeballs. They correct issues on their end.

If you want to find the problem, you have to follow the money. Who DOESN'T want you to easily access YouTube? Who wants more money from YouTube? Who feels that YouTube is in some way competition to their own content or goals?

If you find these answers, you will also find the source of your YT issues.
--
"Fascism should more properly be called corporatism because it is the merger of state and corporate power." -- Benito Mussolini

Premium
join:2009-03-01

3 edits

Riiiiiiiiiight.... even though this thread has may customer complaints across many different ISPS... specifically to YouTube vs other services across similar links....

While... Google Ads, Google search and all other profitable G$$gle services work great...

You are right in one area... follow the money.

[Edit: removed the word "Every" as that would be hard to prove. It is likely that at least Google Fiber has good performance to Youtube.]

KrK
Premium
Tulsa, OK

The thing is, it ISN'T every ISP now is it?

Just certain ones.
Crookshanks

join:2008-02-04
Binghamton, NY
Netflix is far more of a threat to traditional ISPs than Youtube, somehow I don't see Time Warner Cable's CEO up late at night worrying about video clips of sleeping puppies and laser pointer chasing cats.

Interesting how Netflix isn't having issues to this extent on any of these ISPs.

KrK
Premium
Tulsa, OK

I think they are just being cheap on peering, personally.
Crookshanks

join:2008-02-04
Binghamton, NY

I don't think peering is Google's problem....

Never experienced this problem myself, on multiple different ISPs, but if I was to hazard a guess as to what's behind the problems I would point the finger at Flash.
And same here with FIOS 50/25. This issue has been bugging me for quite some time.
Expand your moderator at work
flyryan

join:2013-04-13
Columbia, MD
Out of curiosity, are you in the NoVA/MD area? I suspect this issue is isolated there for FiOS.

•••
m3nphls

join:2012-10-02
Brooklyn, NY

Before google...

All the issue started after google bought them. You'd think google might be able to fix this issue asap but oohh well....

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium
Brighton, MA

Re: Before google...

so you're saying the problem happened sometime in the last 6 years?

diablo1892
R.I.P. Donald Lee Wise

join:2011-04-21
Friendly, WV

pf

You guys think you can't stream videos from here.. I'm on the friggin hughesnet with Gen4 and streaming videos can be extremely easy (alot of times but not everytime) i usually pull 1.3mb/s

timcuth
Braves Fan
Premium
join:2000-09-18
Pelham, AL

The address range blocking fixed my problem

As seen in this thread:

»Youtube is slow

No more pauses or halts in all the tests I've performed.

Tim
slckusr
Premium
join:2003-03-17
Greenville, SC
Reviews:
·Charter

Re: The address range blocking fixed my problem

said by timcuth:

As seen in this thread:

»Youtube is slow

No more pauses or halts in all the tests I've performed.

Tim

Awesome thanks!!, Worked Great (windows 8/uverse) I havent been able to watch a youtube clip for weeks and now it streams all "p's" smoothly.

aciddrink

join:2000-08-26

1 recommendation

I did a fix similar to this about 6 months ago and my speeds increased instantly.

Though as a fair warning, even the backup servers go slow on some days... so although this fix can give you relief most of the time, it won't work all of the time.

For those of you that don't fully understand what is going on, when you block the range of IP addresses to YouTube's primary servers, you're then redirected to the backup servers...which tend to get far less traffic and run far faster (at least until millions of people start doing this "fix").
Kamus

join:2011-01-27
El Paso, TX

On Telmex

For me youtube becomes worthless on any res besides 320p during most of the day, then it goes back to normal at night. My fix is to turn on my VPN, then it runs fine all day at any resolution.
Snowknight26

join:2011-04-06

1 recommendation

Water is wet, sky is blue..

It shouldn't be a surprise to anyone that one of the main IP blocks belongs to XO. They're really a pathetic telco.

noc007

join:2002-06-18
Cumming, GA
Reviews:
·Comcast

Re: Water is wet, sky is blue..

This. We've got a few trunks with them and they go down at least once a week. The telecom guys are constantly having to change the call routes to deal with their F-Ups. I thought AT&T was bad, but XO truly takes the cake. People in 3rd world countries must be getting more reliable service than XO.

Premium
join:2009-03-01
said by Snowknight26:

It shouldn't be a surprise to anyone that one of the main IP blocks belongs to XO. They're really a pathetic telco.

Then why is Google choosing to use a pathetic telco?

thecybernerd
Premium
join:2007-01-05
Great Falls, VA

Email the Google NOC

noc@google.com

They can troubleshoot issues with you. More contact info below. as well as peering info.

»www.peeringdb.com/private/partic ··· p?id=433

•••••••••••

dib22

join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO

youtube issues

by the way: OMG a youtube video on dslreports that will actually go FULL SCREEN!?!?!?!?!?! Am I dreaming?

Recently I have youtube loading problems during peak.... but not always. I am not on a big provider so it might simply be a case of them over saturating their (the ISPs) connection.

Outside of peak times I have had periods where it was a buffer fest, but after reporting them (right click report playback issue) they tend to go back to normal within a day or two.

Having experienced this off and on for many years I always came to the conclusion that googles algorithm was faulty in the youtube flash app.. and it was backing itself off. I am glad to see its getting some attention so we can figure out why we have to wait to see our cute animal videos

chip89
Premium
join:2012-07-05
Independence, OH

YouTube

I Don't have any trouble with YouTube vids.

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium
Brighton, MA

Re: YouTube

neither do I.

David
I start new work on
Premium,VIP
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL
kudos:101

Re: YouTube

I don't after blocking...
brianiscool

join:2000-08-16
Miami, FL

Slowness!

I thought it was just my slow 50Mbps line. They must be reducing bandwidth usage to save money.

••••

whfsdude
Premium
join:2003-04-05
Washington, DC
Reviews:
·Comcast

2 recommendations

Measuring YouTube Performance

There was a great presentation at NANOG 57 about measuring YouTube performance.

It's pretty complex including if the video was played in the middle, what region it's being played in, etc.

»www.nanog.org/meetings/nanog57/a ··· =nanog57

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
kudos:25

Re: Measuring YouTube Performance

I'll have to give that tool a shot. Looks and sounds neat!

anon_anon

@comcast.net

Youtube throttles itself

Nowadays, youtube will give you 30 seconds of buffer at full speed, then throttle down the connection to about 1.5 times the bitrate. If you pause, youtube used to let the flash player buffer the entire clip, but that is no longer the case with some videos. They placed a limit on how much it will buffer when you pause. It's not a comcast related issue, it still does it over my hurricane electric VPN/IPV6 connection.

•••••

Robotics
See You On The Dark Side
Premium
join:2003-10-23
Louisa, VA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Verizon Wireless..

If You Are A Money Maker On YouTube It Seems Different

This is my opinion on the subject. And have noticed it for quite some time now.

copied from my earlier post on the subject:

"I could be wrong, but it sure does seem if you watch some of YouTube's big money makers/partners they load fine in 1080 but watch joe blow's video in 1080 and your gonna be buffering a lot.
I've noticed this for quite some time now. And its getting worse it seems".

Try it and see what you think.
--
Long you live and high you fly, and smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry,
and all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be.
ViRGEdx

join:2002-10-25

Re: If You Are A Money Maker On YouTube It Seems Different

Agreed. It does seem different.

What I think would make an interesting test would be for a user with congestion problems to try to view paid content (e.g. a rental) and see what happens. My expectation is that Google ensures access to the servers hosting paid content is never congested (so far as they can control).
Chubbysumo

join:2009-12-01
Superior, WI
Reviews:
·Charter

1 edit

1 recommendation

For clarifictation as to what is happening

Its not a "peering" issue at all. Its your ISP using their own Google Caching servers, to try and not send stuff outside their network, which means that their caching server needs to load the video(slowly), and then you need to load it from them. If its a popular video, issues usually don't persist. You can skip your ISPs caching server in a few simple steps. First you identify the offending caching server, then block your computer or router from accessing it. It usually results in a small delay, as YT handles the IP rejection, and then reroute your connection to one of their faster servers. Blame your ISP for intentionally throttling your online streaming media experience.
kaila

join:2000-10-11
Lincolnshire, IL

Holy Crap it Works!

Even though the Reddit link poster says he's on TW, it's not US ISP specific. If you have a router or firewall that you can drill into, reject these IP ranges:

206.111.0.0/16
173.194.55.0/24

OSUGoose

join:2007-12-27
Columbus, OH

Re: Holy Crap it Works!

I would I set that up in a Motorola SBG6580

Greg2600

join:2008-05-20
Belleville, NJ
said by kaila:

Even though the Reddit link poster says he's on TW, it's not US ISP specific. If you have a router or firewall that you can drill into, reject these IP ranges:

206.111.0.0/16
173.194.55.0/24

I did all that, and it helped 480p but 720 is still useless.

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp
kudos:8

PepperFlash in Chrome

I found that disabling PepperFlash in Chrome helps also.
iansltx

join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

It's definitely a peering issue

Both Comcast and TWC have had YouTube buffering issues for quite awhile, TWC more so than Comcast. I've had 50M connections on both and haven't come close to that on YouTube.

My solution has been to tunnel (SSH) to a server in Dallas that runs on SoftLayer, switching my IP to that one and using different peering links to get to Google/YouTube. Once I'm logged in, videos stream just fine...I've seen 25 Mbps from YouTube while proxied via my SSH tunnel.

This points to an out-and-out peering issue between TWC and Google, at least as far as YouTube is concerned; there's plenty of capacity between TWC and SoftLayer, plenty of capacity between SoftLayer and Google...and not nearly enough capacity between TWC and Google. Forcing my traffic to route through SL (or blocking IP ranges) shouldn't be necessary to get decent streaming quality, but it does fix the issue.

••••••••••••

jazzy_

join:2004-01-27
Charleston, SC

interesting

I've always wondered what all the complaining was about. I've been using Comcast HSI forever and stream max quality YouTube all the time and never have loading issues.
Synbios

join:2002-05-18
Arlington, VA

Re: interesting

I had pretty bad problems with 30/5 FiOS. Just switched to 50/10 Comcast and can stream anything on YouTube now. I don't think that extra speed helped the streaming, but I think it is a problem with Verizon/FiOS and not Comcast.

doublea

join:2007-06-04
Petaluma, CA

Uverse YT issues.

I had Uverse 29/2 (VDSL, but they allowed me to use the entire capacity of my line since I did not subscribe to tv or phone.)
But it seemed like most of the time that I wanted to watch a YT video, it would flatout refuse to stream in 1080P, I usually had to downgrade the stream to 480P to get playback without buffering.

Since I swapped to Comcast (Trust me i'm not proud to be on Comcast) My YT streams perfectly most of the time.

I understand that It may not have been AT&Ts fault, but in my area, comcast just handles youtube better.

powerspec88
Premium
join:2007-03-11
Mission, KS
Reviews:
·SureWest Internet

I think ISP problem.

With my 50Mbps Surewest connection, streaming from YouTube max's out my line when doing 720/1080p, but on U-Verse, I can't even do 480p at the same time. Could be routing to, but its been this way for years.
--
My Internetz: Surewest 50/5, CenturyLink 10/896, AT&T U-verse 18/1.5
Computer: i7 2600k@4.5GHz, GA-P67a-UD7-B3, 16GB DDR3, GTX 580 and GTX 260, Corsair 750W, Antec 1200

JigglyWiggly

join:2009-07-12
Pleasanton, CA

Re: I think ISP problem.

same problem even on comcast, sometimes.

my youtube speedgraph sometimes shows 50 megabits, then others 5 megabits

it's all over

i have comcast xtreme 105, it's not me. my connection is perfect, just yt.