dslreports logo
spacer
spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-02-27 08:21:49: Despite the faster speeds now being pushed through fiber and DOCSIS 3.0, there's many users who continue to suffer from the inability to quickly and consistently stream YouTube videos. ..

prev · 1 · 2 · 3 · next

Jim Kirk
Premium
join:2005-12-09
Westerville, OH

U-Verse

When I had U-Verse (24/3), I couldn't watch anything better than 480p without it constantly buffering. Switched to WOW (30/3) and haven't had a single issue. I was using OpenDNS with both ISPs.

When I was on U-Verse, I bought Speedbit Video Accelerator to see if it would help. When it was running, I was able to view 1080p videos without any buffering. FWIW

Morac
Cat god

join:2001-08-30
Riverside, NJ
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast

Could be an issue with Google's CDN

For the longest time I had major problems streaming/downloading from Amazon and PSN. Speeds were horrible. I finally tracked it down to an issue between Comcast (in my area) and the local Limelight CDN server. I managed to contact Limelight (as Comcast wasn't very helpful) and they found a return path problem and fixed it and my problems went away.

Most likely the same problem exists with Google. That or some CDN servers are simply overloaded.

An easy test for this is to change your DNS.
--
Get the DSLR Firefox Extension.
The Comcast Disney Avatar has been retired.

NathanO

join:2008-08-21
Moorestown, NJ

TCP Global Sync

There is a possibility this is caused by something called TCP Global Synchronization, during peak times... this is the best explanation i've found:

"TCP global synchronization occurs when a sudden burst of traffic causes simultaneous packet loss across many TCP sessions using a single (congested) link. Each affected TCP session backs off its send rate at the same time, causing link utilization to go way down. When link utilization is down packet loss is low or non-existent and therefore each affected TCP session increases its send rate at the same time, causing link utilization to go way up and causing severe congestion again, and the cycle repeats. The result is a saw tooth shaped bandwidth utilization on the single link causing inefficient use of available bandwidth and inconsistent application throughput."
bradhedlund.com/notes/tcp/)

It would certainly make sense if Google or ISPs are trying to over-utilize links.

RWSI

join:2012-11-27
Albuquerque, NM

Packet loss

There is no doubt packet loss is going on somewhere. I did a test at our noc direct from the fiber. We had a 30% percent loss and choppy video. I put in a ticket to our fiber supplier and they verified it was outside their control. The distribution system somewhere is a problem and little to no one is looking for it.

It is now in the minds at our fiber supplier and will periodically attempt to track it down.

NathanO

join:2008-08-21
Moorestown, NJ

Re: Packet loss

I highly doubt it is a fiber issue, it is likely just stemming from congestion (Unless you mean FTTH like FiOS, not a Lit/Dark fiber supplier like Level(3) or Zayo).
TechnoGeek

join:2013-01-07

Many factors

I've heard it can be a DNS issue as well.

OpenDNS at least used to have an issue with getting the right (i.e. closest) youtube server, and would buffer incessantly.

However, I noticed that I tending to have problems with just about any streaming site.

Issues seem to have mostly disappeared.

Also, firefox itself can trigger periodic buffering, because it keeps trying to save your tabs. There is a way to increase the save interval.

In the end, it's probably a route issue that involves the ISP. Well, they might be throttling (my hunch says no, but then again...), but if they are, they need to be taken to task. Be interesting to have some hard data from different connections.
zefie

join:2007-07-18
Hudson, NY
Reviews:
·DSL EXTREME
·Verizon Wireless..

Kinda glad...

...to see I'm not the only one. I posted about this elsewhere and it felt like I was the only one having trouble with YouTube not even sending at the video bitrate (500kbps video? We'll send you the data at 300kbps)

Hopefully now that its here on DSLReports, something will be done about it.
SyphonBW

join:2004-02-24
Alliance, OH

Re: Kinda glad...

How do you block those ip addresses on a Motorola SBG6580 what tab?
tmc8080

join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·ooma
·Verizon FiOS

possible explanation

I've seen obscure videos not seen or viewed for a while have creepy crawly buffering problems on 50 megabit services, both cable & telco fiber. that means it's not the local isp's fault, it's YOUTUBE/google's fault. At which point, you say to hell with them and find your video fix someplace else. This isn't 2005, there are PLENTY of alternatives to youtube!!
ArizonaSteve

join:2004-01-31
Apache Junction, AZ

Re: possible explanation

What obscure video are you having problems with? Can you name one?
singerie3

join:2008-10-12
Saint-Constant, QC

youtube issue

i also have issue in canada with youtube. At work, i have issue within the Bell network, and i have 50Mbit or more both ways. But on the same connection, when y proxy youtube through OVH network, everything is fine.

I also had issue with electronicbox network with youtube before.
BiggA
Premium
join:2005-11-23
EARTH

Same on Comcast

I've had these issues with Comcast, as well as with most other connections I've used. It's got to be YT. I usually can do 720p, but 1080 is very iffy. The weird part is, it's intermittent, and sometimes it will saturate my connection for the whole video, and other times, it's a buffering mess.
djnrg787

join:2009-06-10
Saint Louis, MO
Reviews:
·Cogent Communica..

Sounds like an ISP issue

I did a test from my tier 4 data center on a 2 hour 720p video. Loaded halfway in about 2 minutes. Tracert shows 14ms hop to YouTube through cogent fiber. It's obvious a data center won't have the same bandwidth saving technologies as an ISP since I have to pay for the bandwidth. It seems like AT&T etc is having a peering issue.
Seeley

join:2009-01-31
Eatontown, NJ

2 edits

1 recommendation

Buffer sizes.

I think Google has reduced the size of their buffering algorithms, to reduce the scalability pace of bandwidth infrastructure and server hardware. All, at the expense of users' overall experience.

OBVIOUSLY Google's buffer algorithms have changed dramatically. For what reason? It's anyone's guess.

Besides, Google's more important than it's users! Who cares about the users.
technocar2

join:2009-05-29
Brampton, ON
kudos:2

1 recommendation

Re: Buffer sizes.

said by Seeley:

I think Google has reduced the size of their buffering algorithms, to reduce the scalability pace of bandwidth infrastructure and server hardware. All, at the expense of users' overall experience.

OBVIOUSLY Google's buffer algorithms have changed dramatically. For what reason? It's anyone's guess.

Besides, Google's more important than it's users are anyways.

They have done just that...just look at their server host names now.

Here is an example
hxxp://r4---sn-nwj7knel.c.youtube.com/videoplayback?algorithm=throttle-factor&burst=40&cp=U0hVRllPU19NUUNONV9RSV

/videoplayback?algorithm=throttle-factor&burst=40&cp????

anon623

@mich.net
That would actually make some sense. Imagine if someone clicked on a video that was 5 minutes long and decided 10 seconds in they didn't want to watch any more. If you let someone download half of the video before they closed the stream it could take a lot of bandwidth. Multiply that by 100,000 users and they could be wasting many TBs of bandwidth.

Also, if you were on a 4G phone you might also not want it to download the entire video for the same reasons. You would certainly eat your bandwidth cap faster if you downloaded all of the clips but only watched a small portion of them.

Dream Killer
Graveyard Shift
Premium
join:2002-08-09
Forest Hills, NY
kudos:1

hmm

I find it a bit ironic that Google offers 1Gbps internet to two whole cities while their YouTube servers can barely serve me at 56k speeds.
djnrg787

join:2009-06-10
Saint Louis, MO
Reviews:
·Cogent Communica..

Sounds like an ISP issue

I did a test from my tier 4 data center on a 2 hour 720p video. Loaded halfway in about 2 minutes. Tracert shows 14ms hop to YouTube through cogent fiber. It's obvious a data center won't have the same bandwidth saving technologies as an ISP since I have to pay for the bandwidth. It seems like AT&T etc is having a peering issue.
Technicholas
Premium
join:2010-11-11
Winterset, IA
Reviews:
·Mediacom
·CenturyLink

1 edit

Slow Speeds with Centurylink

Hello,

YouTube is SLOW on Centurylink I can't even use it sometimes just does not work.

»www.speedtest.net/result/2537197 ··· 7321.png

UPDATE: I just VPN'd in and getting full speeds on 1080p on YouTube. hmm.
ArizonaSteve

join:2004-01-31
Apache Junction, AZ

Re: Slow Speeds with Centurylink

It's fine here in Phoenix.

MxxCon

join:1999-11-19
Brooklyn, NY

Cablevision is slow too.

Click for full size
That firewall trick does not work for me because I'm not connecting to those IPs at any point in my YouTube session. The fact that it works for anybody but people in that guy's geographic region/isp is nothing but snake-oil recipe.

»[OOL] is punishing encrypted YouTube straems at prime time?

Right now I'm trying to load this video. As you can see from the screenshot above, on CV it's ~3mbit, the moment I switch to my work VPN AND STILL DOWNLOAD FROM THE SAME YOUTUBE SERVER I get full 18mbit.

»r18---sn-ab5e6nl7.c.youtube.com/ ··· OMFGcata
--
[Sig removed by Administrator: signature can not exceed 20GB]
chgo_man99

join:2010-01-01
San Jose, CA

1 edit

same problem on uverse with 720 or 1080p videos

no problem with 480p videos though, also sometimes if I reload 720p video several times I get no buffering issue.

Changing DNS on my local machine from ATTIS to google dns had no effect.

David
I start new work on
Premium,VIP
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL
kudos:101
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·AT&T Midwest
·magicjack.com
·Google Voice

Re: same problem on uverse with 720 or 1080p videos

try blocking the IP address ranges mentioned in the top of this topic. It seems to be fixing quite a bit of people.

I did this for mine (Not uverse internet, just dsl) and for the charter cable connection and DSL connection at my house the problem has vanished.

I am not exactly sure how the hotbrick does the blocking (I only did it by url) but I don't think I can specify a range in the hotbrick. Still need to check on it though.
--
If you have a topic in the direct forum please reply to it or a post of mine, I get a notification when you do this.
Koetting Ford, Granite City, illinois... YOU'RE FIRED!!

mig288
Premium
join:2002-07-13
Cherry Hill, NJ

FIOS 150/75 and I have problems

What is the deal here? I'm also having these issues and with 150/75 speed. I couldn't believe that my connection would be the cause.

I hope they fix it soon

David
I start new work on
Premium,VIP
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL
kudos:101
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·AT&T Midwest
·magicjack.com
·Google Voice

Re: FIOS 150/75 and I have problems

said by mig288:

What is the deal here? I'm also having these issues and with 150/75 speed. I couldn't believe that my connection would be the cause.

I hope they fix it soon

I don't think it was anyone's connection just like it wasn't anyone's ISP. There was a canada user that posted here that was having a problem.

The only common thing in all this whole mess.... Youtube!
--
If you have a topic in the direct forum please reply to it or a post of mine, I get a notification when you do this.
Koetting Ford, Granite City, illinois... YOU'RE FIRED!!

Josh44

@sbcglobal.net

Sounds like a Youtube issue

Been having these issues intermittently for the last two weeks. Why is it not all videos? Why does the ad before the video run like it's hooked up to a turbo boosted flux capacitor yet the content I want to watch chokes like youtube replaced all their servers with emachines?

Why? because it's all symptomatic of nothing that is isp related and is all server related. Be it youtube's servers or whatever server they are using to feed you the stream.

I have to say it's intermittent. One day (for the last two weeks) it will be fine then the next it all comes crashing down. It happens on my iphone on 4g, connected to my local wifi, plugged into my uverse router with a cable, at work on their network. Multiple providers, multiple pcs, and only in the last two weeks. I've tried all these supposed fixes and they do nothing.
Josh444

join:2013-02-26
Pflugerville, TX

Seems like youtube issue

ADvertisements work fine, only certain videos don't work. I don't see it has anything to do with the quality. It does seem longer videos have the worst problems.

It happens on multiple isps for me (TW, uverse, the t1 at work which I believe is at&t). It also happens on my 4g connection on my iphone and on my girlfriend's iphone which is verizon. That really doesn't seem to matter and one day it's fine and the next day it's not. Been going on for two weeks now. For years prior I've had no issues at all.

Koil
Premium
join:2002-09-10
Irmo, SC
kudos:2

TWC checking in, and this has been going on for years.

There is so much misinfo in this thread, it's amazing. It's not the size of the pipe, it's not adblock, it's not html5. I don't know wxactly WHAT it is , but I do wish they'd get it ironed out.

I haven't watched a youtube vid without buffering in I don't know how long...and as others have said, I don't recall the ads ever having trouble running in their full glorious resolution.

They need to look into it and make a statement, because it seriously sucks.

And while they're at it. How about making it so that I can pause and buffer again? Why did they even take that away?

Also, how about if I move backward in a video, figure out a way to not lose everything we've already downloaded and just play from the existing data we've already got? It used to do this...why not anymore?
--
I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do.- Edward Everett Hale

My Blog - Raising Connor