dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-03-01 14:19:48: Mirroring comments made this week by Time Warner Cable executives, Verizon CFO Fran Shammo argues that the company would offer 1 Gbps connections -- if any of you actually wanted one. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · next
chgo_man99
join:2010-01-01
Sunnyvale, CA

chgo_man99

what other nations offer 1gb to house right now for cheap?

I know one city in the world that does that, its Hong Kong in SAR of China, PCCW offering speed from 300mb up to 1GB. But the cost of living space is there very high, consumer products cost more there than in states. Gasoline cost more also.

mromero
Premium Member
join:2000-12-07
Fullerton, CA

mromero

Premium Member

will not be the sweet spot very long Sony just said they want to bring 4K streaming movies to the PS4 which will require 100GB or more per movie. granted no one has a 4k set but who knows in 3-5 years.

gatorkram
Need for Speed
Premium Member
join:2002-07-22
Winterville, NC

1 recommendation

gatorkram

Premium Member

LoL

These guys are starting to remind me of my childhood playground experiences. "Sure, I could jump that puddle, but I don't want to"

People drive around in cars every day that can go way over the max speed limits, and we sure don't see car makers saying they are going to make slower cars because no one needs to go as fast as they can go.

I am starting to think, they don't want to offer these higher speeds, because it would affect their whole pricing structure.

cableties
Premium Member
join:2005-01-27

cableties

Premium Member

Yeah, I passed grey-haired vette drivers, and get passed by non-grey haired Prius drivers!

And Verizon, even at 50Mbps, You-tube sucks.

But hey, I'm moving from 25Mbps to 50Mbps for $10 more... I mean, 25Mbps for $10...
tired_runner
Premium Member
join:2000-08-25
CT

tired_runner

Premium Member

No demand today

.. especially in this economy... and the likely asking price for that kind of bandwidth if they did offer it.

But if it has Verizon and Time Warner talking shit about it, there must be some consumer uptake that they're worried about.
dlewis23
join:2005-04-18
Boca Raton, FL

dlewis23

Limited Need

There is a limited need for a 1 gig connection to the home today. But as cloud storage becomes more widely used and accepted a 1 gig connection will be required.

For cloud storage to work the way it's suppose to and the way people would like to use it, a 1 gig connection is really needed. Even 100 Mbps isn't fast enough with the size of files today you still many seconds for high quality images to open.

gatorkram
Need for Speed
Premium Member
join:2002-07-22
Winterville, NC

gatorkram to tired_runner

Premium Member

to tired_runner

Re: No demand today

said by tired_runner:

.. especially in this economy... and the likely asking price for that kind of bandwidth if they did offer it.

But if it has Verizon and Time Warner talking shit about it, there must be some consumer uptake that they're worried about.

The thing is, they don't need to charge higher prices for higher speeds, they just want us to believe that's the way it has to be.

Like I said in my other post, if they did roll out higher speeds, it would really make their current pricing scheme difficult to maintain.
killerbobjr
join:2005-10-20
Santa Monica, CA

killerbobjr

Need for speed (or, driving on unpaved roads)

I recently upgraded from 25/25 to 75/35 and have found that I rarely saturate my pipe. So far, Microsoft downloads and Steam are the only places I can consistently fill the 75mbs download stream. I can understand the business logic behind not offering faster speeds at a lower price if most sites can't deliver those speeds.

If tomorrow VZ offered 1gbs FIOS at $70 to match Google, and also offered their lowest tier of 15/5 at $30, I bet 99% of their customers would select the 15/5 tier at $30. I have even seen a few messages in the FIOS forum indicating that some 70-80% or so of current customers only have 15/5 speeds. All this bitching and moaning about the need for 1gbs speeds seems to come mostly from people who just want the fastest car on the block, even if they can't drive that fast.
tired_runner
Premium Member
join:2000-08-25
CT
·Frontier FiberOp..

tired_runner to gatorkram

Premium Member

to gatorkram

Re: No demand today

There is infrastructure to maintain and expand if need be. There is a bottom line that needs to be met. It's not like they can offer service out of thin air. Wholesale bandwidth costs may be declining, but gear still costs money, and a lot. And considering that FiOS is maybe six years old at most, I'd say Verizon is still paying off that bill to make it happen.

But yea. This is consumerism at it's best. Competition determines demand, and demand determines pricing.
Wilsdom
join:2009-08-06

Wilsdom to gatorkram

to gatorkram

Re: LoL

Not sure how it will play out with Google fiber, but there is also the risk that a "too fast" connection could be shared over wifi by several households. 1 subscription could provide excellent speeds to 10-20 houses

elios
join:2005-11-15
Springfield, MO

1 recommendation

elios to killerbobjr

to killerbobjr

Re: Need for speed (or, driving on unpaved roads)

um who says you have to fill it from one place at a time?
we have 3 people in the house
we could all easily pull 20Mbps at the same time form different sites
malletto
join:2009-01-03
Purcellville, VA

malletto to killerbobjr

to killerbobjr
I have the 75/25 plan also, but will be moving soon and will be dropping to the 50/25 plan. Yes I don't think I've ever fully used what I have now but it is nice to know I have room to grow into it.

But, if they did offer 1gbs plan at $70 I would upgrade, why not, I'm already paying that much now and can afford it so why not. I've had on TWC a much slower plan and absolutely hated it. I don't think I could get by with 15/5.
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

1 recommendation

88615298 (banned)

They're right

Give people a choice between $70 1 Gbps or $40 25 Mbps. Most people will take the 25 Mbps speed. Unless you're wanting to supply your block or apartment building with free internet for everyone 1 Gbps isn't needed as this point.
navyson
join:2011-07-15
Upper Marlboro, MD

navyson

How the hell is it great if

I can't watch youtube. Even 240p can't play on my 50 mbps FIOS connection
Wilsdom
join:2009-08-06

Wilsdom to killerbobjr

to killerbobjr

Because wanting to pay more for less like you is so much more logical.
wkm001
join:2009-12-14

wkm001

More Upload Please

I consider myself a power user, just like everyone else reading this news reel / blog. I'm completely content with my 25 mbps download speed. But I could really use more than 4 mbps upload. It took a month to upload all of my music to Google Music, and my pictures and video to CrashPlan.

elios
Springfield, MO

1 recommendation

elios

if there was a "sweet spot" it would be more like 100/100 then 50Mbps

the thing is once you have the network to support 100/100 then you might as well make it 1Gbps since its trivial at that point

EliteData
EliteData
Premium Member
join:2003-07-06
Philippines

1 recommendation

EliteData

Premium Member

sure

VZ may be in a position to offer 1GB speeds, if you are willing to pay a very steep price for it.
ChrisSF82
join:2010-02-09
Oakland, CA

ChrisSF82 to navyson

to navyson

Re: How the hell is it great if

Before, I was unable to play Youtube vidoes as well until I selected the html5 trial. It really helped me. Now I can play 1010p videos. But not all vidoes work under html5

kontos
xyzzy
join:2001-10-04
West Henrietta, NY

kontos to Wilsdom

to Wilsdom

said by Wilsdom:

Not sure how it will play out with Google fiber, but there is also the risk that a "too fast" connection could be shared over wifi by several households. 1 subscription could provide excellent speeds to 10-20 houses

which is why you would want to offer it at a price point that is low enough to make sharing unnecessary. a 'budget' tier would make sharing even more unnecessary. kinda like how google is doing it.

The real question is if Google can operate a network with those speeds and at least break even at that price-point. I'm skeptical, but Google has said that they want to prove it can be done.

Chris 313
Because It's Geekier
Premium Member
join:2004-07-18
Houma, LA
·AT&T FTTP
·Comcast XFINITY

Chris 313 to elios

Premium Member

to elios

Re: More Upload Please

said by elios:

if there was a "sweet spot" it would be more like 100/100 then 50Mbps

the thing is once you have the network to support 100/100 then you might as well make it 1Gbps since its trivial at that point

Yes, I agree. 100/100 should be the "sweet spot" Though, 50 is nothing to sneeze at, being sucked by multiple users/devices can really suck it up fast and slow things down.

In 2013, 50 should be standard, 100 should be next and 300-1G be the top. I would pay 70-100 for those speeds.

Bring that competition, Google!

AnonMe
@comcastbusiness.net

AnonMe

Anon

It's all about the good old buck

As a work from home-office IT support person, I would happily pay $127/month for 1Gb/1Gb service. Hell, that's what I'm paying right now for my Comcast 27/7 service with 5 IP's.

1Gb/1Gb service between locations 30 miles away (the further the better really), even if it had to be with the same provider would be fabulous and used by me EVERYDAY. It would provide geographically disperse data backups, or even the ability to have a live replicas of servers, etc. Accomplishing something like this is one of the biggest IT challanges for small business today. It's a no glory aspect of the job that nobody wants, and therefore the reason why many small businesses fail after an event such as a fire.

Once Verizon places fiber, upping it from 100 to 300 to 500 to 1 Gb doesn't cost them much in bandwidth costs, especially if the data stays on their network. I do believe all these companies are delaying bandwidth increases in order to milk every penny they can out of their networks. Double the speeds today and tomorrow, you've got nothing to offer the next day. They wouldn't know what to do on the third day when customers where then asking for more. Right now, when they bump the speeds up a couple of Mbps for "free", everyone is jumping for joy. They are the heros of the day.

I understand companies have to make money, but if you have the monopoly or exclusive franchise in the area, then your profits should be kept to a fair and reasonable rate, with excesses returned to customers in rate reductions. And yes, in my opinion, if a cable TV company has an exclusive cable franchise in a city, they have an inherent advantage to being able to offer Internet, their facilities are mostly already built for them.

elios
Springfield, MO

1 recommendation

elios to EliteData

to EliteData

Re: sure

only do lack of people to compete with them
if Google Fiber had moved in to place with FiOS it would of been a real fight

the FiOS network would only minor upgrades to boost speeds to 1Gbps

NOYB
St. John 3.16
Premium Member
join:2005-12-15
Forest Grove, OR

NOYB

Premium Member

Chicken & Egg

Services that need high bandwidth are not deployed because the capacity is not deployed. Capacity is not deployed because there are not services to utilize it.
NoHereNoMo
join:2012-12-06

NoHereNoMo to killerbobjr

to killerbobjr

said by killerbobjr:

...I bet 99% of their customers would select the 15/5 tier at $30.

Because 99% of us are (1) too cheap, (2) too poor, or (3) actually understand how broadband Internet works?

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

1 recommendation

tshirt to navyson

Premium Member

to navyson

Re: How the hell is it great if

That's a poor quality connection (for whatever reason) not too low a speed tier (if it was as advertised)
given the same connection problem, I doubt 1 gig would be better.
swarto112
Premium Member
join:2004-02-17
El Dorado Hills, CA

swarto112

Premium Member

FIOS 50/50 is enough atm

I agree, I had FIOS for that last 4 years before moving out of market. Once I they bumped us to 25/25 it was wonderful and rarely any chokepoints. Then they bumped us to 50/50 it was just spectacular and I was running tons of data and video thru the system. I just wish that TWC and the other markets follow FIOS example. People really dont care if prices go up if the product works like a dream. I know I didnt mind at all.

pfak
Premium Member
join:2002-12-29
Vancouver, BC

pfak to mromero

Premium Member

to mromero

Re: what other nations offer 1gb to house right now for cheap?

In the lab broadcast 4kTVp50 (H.264) uses approximately 16.5~20 Mbit/s, so nowhere near the amounts quoted above. I would suspect delivery of anywhere from between 15~20GB for a 2 hour video.
Crookshanks
join:2008-02-04
Binghamton, NY

Crookshanks to cableties

to cableties

said by cableties:

And Verizon, even at 50Mbps, You-tube sucks.

YouTube sucks because it's based on Flash, not because of bandwidth limitations on the sending or receiving end. Most Netflix streams use far more bandwidth, both total and bitrate, and there aren't nearly as many people having problems with Netflix as YT.
46436203 (banned)
join:2013-01-03

46436203 (banned) to pfak

to pfak

Re: what other nations offer 1gb to house right now for cheap?

In "the lab" they must be making some super shitty video as 16-20 Mbps isn't even a sufficient bitrate for 1080p24 using H.264.

20 Mbps won't even be enough to deliver proper 4K video with H.265.

Why even bother with 4K if you're not going to do it right?
page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · next