dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-03-01 14:19:48: Mirroring comments made this week by Time Warner Cable executives, Verizon CFO Fran Shammo argues that the company would offer 1 Gbps connections -- if any of you actually wanted one. ..

prev · 1 · 2 · 3 · 4

cork1958
Cork
Premium Member
join:2000-02-26

cork1958 to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy

Re: I agree with Verizon

said by IowaCowboy:

50/10 is more than adequate for normal residential use.

Definitely MORE than adequate, and even as one of the people in the article states.

"According to Shammo, a 50 Mbps connection is the "sweet spot" right now for consumers, and though Verizon does offer speeds up to 300 Mbps, anything more than 50 Mbps is overkill for most households"

Anyone who thinks they MUST have more, needs to go outside and kick a ball around, as I've been told before, but NOT because I THINK I need that kind of speed!!

I'm perfectly happy on Charters 30/4 plan (although not at all happy with the current schemes going on at Charter) and hope they bring the 15/3 plan back.
tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080 to NeoandGeo

to NeoandGeo

Re: .

Plenty of 10 year old computers in use still w/ 100mbit ethernet and B/G wireless routers. The point is we should have 1gbit available for residential subscription and not be around $700 some low multiple of Google's $70 would do.. for starters and make the lower speed tiers dirt cheap. I could see tiers such as 50, 100, 150, 300, 1gb becoming popular if the price points were reasonable maybe 1/2 a gbit for $10 less as if you have gigabit equipment most speed tests won't ever exceed 1gigabit, so no fluff for you. You'd need 10 gigabit ethernet which is STILL crazily expensive (PCI-E 3 cards coming in over $200) and 10-gigE routers (smart switches) at nearly double that. That equipment (commercial grade) is RIPE for a price cut-- been too high for far too long!

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

skeechan

Premium Member

Demand will drive faster speeds

People expect ISPs to put the cart WAY before the horse. 4K is a long way off. ISPs will do it when they need to do it to stay competitive. Cox is rolling out faster speeds along with lots of other MSOs. 50Mb definitely is the sweet spot and is overkill...right now. Who could disagree with that given the limited content that is available? In a few years 100Mb will be the sweet spot. In several years 1Gb will be the sweet spot.
skeechan

skeechan to feralfury

Premium Member

to feralfury

Re: History repeats itself.

That would be relevant if Gates ever said it or if Verizon said 50Mb is all anyone would need.

What Gates said was true at the time and what Verizon is saying is true now.
swarto112
Premium Member
join:2004-02-17
El Dorado Hills, CA

swarto112 to 46436203

Premium Member

to 46436203

Re: FIOS 50/50 is enough atm

That makes you one of three things: (1 a braggart trolling for responses 2) a poor network engineer 3) the 1% if users who use a majority of the data in the network that companies use to justify greater limits and price increases.

Usually most people fall into the troll category.
Kamus
join:2011-01-27
El Paso, TX

Kamus to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy

said by IowaCowboy:

50/10 is more than adequate for normal residential use.

i think it's overkill, you should go back to dialup IMO. That's more than enough to read emails.
Kamus

Kamus to skeechan

to skeechan

said by skeechan:

That would be relevant if Gates ever said it or if Verizon said 50Mb is all anyone would need.

What Gates said was true at the time and what Verizon is saying is true now.

That's a fallacious argument.
It doesn't matter if he said it or not. Because it doesn't make the premise any less true.

The bottom line is broadband speed has not kept up with other information technologies. At least not for the "last mile" users of these connections.
There's not a damn thing we can do about it for now, but this will inevitably change.
The progress itself hasn't slowed down one bit, all we have in our hands is what right now appears to be an un-addressable engineering challenge. While this might be the case right now, it won't be the case in just a decade or less. Pretty soon we'll look at cable companies the same way we look at DSL companies right now. (like a sick dog that needs to be put down) The fact is this is already the case; but for now all we can do is wait.
Kamus

Kamus to skeechan

to skeechan

Re: Demand will drive faster speeds

said by skeechan:

4K is a long way off

Really? long way off?
I just want to know what kind of thinking i'm dealing with here...
Do you believe the HDTV standard will last as long as the SDTV one did?
watice
join:2008-11-01
New York, NY

watice to KrK

to KrK

Re: LoL

said by KrK:

And the majority of the blame would be wrong.

Cheapness on peering, Google is not. Google has been very aggressive in peering and placing of local caching servers at ISP's.

Interesting, do you have an insider source @Google for this specific problem with VZ & Youtube? I didn't want to single anyone out, but the peering suggestion came from a veteran VZ employee (Dave). It's all in the thread.
CXM_Splicer
Looking at the bigger picture
Premium Member
join:2011-08-11
NYC

CXM_Splicer to Kamus

Premium Member

to Kamus

You could also argue that the normal residential house doesn't even 'need' Internet. Of course, that would cut into the large chunk of online consumerism & ISP profits so THAT would never happen.

@ all the speed deniers: If 50/10 is more than adequate and 1G is complete overkill then why does Verizon even bother offering 300 Meg Quantum FIOS to residential customers? According to all the flawed logic, there should be no market for such speed.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

2 edits

skeechan to Kamus

Premium Member

to Kamus

It does matter because neither Gates nor Verizon made the claim that the status quo was suitable forever. And as far as Verizon FiOS goes, they have more than kept up with that content is available. Verizon's service, already ahead of the curve is highly scalable. I have 50Mb service and have trouble finding uses that saturate the connection. Soon my tier will be upgraded to 150Mb at which time I'll really have nothing that will saturate the connection.
skeechan

1 edit

skeechan to Kamus

Premium Member

to Kamus

Re: Demand will drive faster speeds

Yeah, long way off. SDTV lasted 50 years, you don't think that HDTV will be around for several?

HDTV took MANY years to see widespread adoption and HD was as big of a revolution as going from B&W to color. 4K is a novelty just like 3D. Remember, 3D was supposed to take everything over. 3D was supposed to drive new TV sales. Where is it? No where. No one cares about 3D.

4K will be just like 3D for a LONG time. No one is going to dump a working HDTV for 4K. They will upgrade only when their HDTV breaks and only if 4K is dirt cheap. And only after everyone has one with anyone bother with broadcast content.

Meanwhile for most people with typical HDTV (smaller than 55") at the viewing distances they watch them from, they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between 1080p and 4K unless they were side by side just as they have trouble telling the difference between 1080i and 720p broadcast HD.
NoHereNoMo
join:2012-12-06

NoHereNoMo to watice

to watice

Re: Need for speed (or, driving on unpaved roads)

The Netflix implementation of "1080p" won't even hit 5mbps avg. I highly doubt 3 people using Netflix all at the same time will hit 12mbps avg. They won't come anywhere near 20mbps avg.

djrobx
Premium Member
join:2000-05-31
Reno, NV

djrobx to Metatron2008

Premium Member

to Metatron2008

Re: what other nations offer 1gb to house right now for cheap?

said by Metatron2008:

You ever tried watching compressed videos at 16-20 mbps vs bluray on a 60" tv or above like I have? If not shutup, they look horrible.

Yes, 16-20mbps is quite high for h.264 1080p. It doesn't start to look crappy until you get below 8 or so. Even then, it's pretty acceptable until you reach 6.

6-8 mbps matches what you get from broadcast providers (U-verse, DirecTV, DISH). Cable usually uses higher bitrate streams but with less efficient MPEG2.

Remember, 1080i/60 video needs more bandwidth than 1080p/24.
Crusty
join:2008-11-11
Sanger, TX

Crusty to Rekrul

to Rekrul

Re: No demand...

^ This is the reason they believe "no one needs it". Offer 1gbps for the same prices as majority of us are already paying and see how many people sign up for it.
Expand your moderator at work

Aozora
join:2008-11-28

Aozora

We don't really need anything they sell...what's the point?

So if we focus on what we need which is food and water, then why buy anything else. If we focus on what we need then they would be out of business since we don't really need fancy phones or a lot of other things like tv service that they offer.

Yeah, we don't need a lot of things, and yet people buy and want a lot of things they don't need. Don't see their point. I don't need 1Gbps connections, but I do want one. I don't need cars, but I want one. I don't need a mechanical keyboard either, and yet I have one. So many things I don't need I have and many others I want. Do people really need 200K+ costing cars? No. Do they buy them? Yes.
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT

BiggA to djrobx

Premium Member

to djrobx

Re: what other nations offer 1gb to house right now for cheap?

Yup, I have. Compression artifacts on cable are a lot worse than the low bitrates visually. iTunes is about 5.5 mbps with 1080p/24 (which looks really odd on TV shows), and it looks pretty good.

rchandra
Stargate Universe fan
Premium Member
join:2000-11-09
14225-2105
ARRIS ONT1000GJ4
EnGenius EAP1250

rchandra

Premium Member

at their price point

Noone wants a Gbps FiOS connection at their current price structure. However we'll likely happily take it at Google Fiber price or some of the ones posted by ConstantineM See Profile. I don't know as if I'd be willing to shell out $140/mo. for that. As it is, a comparatively paltry 15/5 is being offered to me for $70/mo. (supposedly no contract). And there's no video even available.

All I can say is I hope the T-Mobile strategy goes well so that I can have, say, 100/100 for $50-$60/mo. and buy the ONT up front. Why there is such an insistence on jacking up the monthly rates in order to subsidize CPE (or handsets)?
prev · 1 · 2 · 3 · 4