dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-03-01 16:37:05: As I noted last month, AT&T and Windstream have lobbied Georgia lawmakers to pass a bill (HB 282) that would prohibit a town or city from deploying their own broadband if anyone in a single census tract has a 1.5 Mbps connection. ..

cchhat01
Dr. Zoidberg
join:2001-05-01
Elmhurst, NY

cchhat01

Good guy Google...

... politely asks Georgia to STFU with their broadband (regression) plan HB 282.
Jim_in_VA (banned)
join:2004-07-11
Cobbs Creek, VA

Jim_in_VA (banned)

Hate to

see his inbox after this

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

Correction: speed is 3 mbps not 1.5 mbps

The speed referred to in the bill is 3 mbps download and not 1.5 mbps as mentioned in the story here.

»legiscan.com/GA/text/HB2 ··· _Sub.pdf
As used in this chapter, the term:
(1) 'Broadband service' means Internet access service with transmission speeds that are equal to or greater than 3.0 megabits per second in the faster direction.

Camaro
Question everything
Premium Member
join:2008-04-05
Westfield, MA

Camaro

Premium Member

Come on Google

Time to grease those wheels.
Os
join:2011-01-26
US

Os

AT&T Will Write Him Another Check

He'll fight for his real constituents - corporations!

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium Member
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK

KrK to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5

Re: Correction: speed is 3 mbps not 1.5 mbps

They need to rename it slow-band.

The bill is still ridiculous.

marigolds
Gainfully employed, finally
MVM
join:2002-05-13
Saint Louis, MO

marigolds to FFH5

MVM

to FFH5
The bill has since been amended.
»www.legis.ga.gov/Legisla ··· 0256.pdf

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

said by marigolds:

The one I linked above is a later version and totally replaces the one you linked here.

marigolds
Gainfully employed, finally
MVM
join:2002-05-13
Saint Louis, MO

marigolds

MVM

said by FFH5:

said by marigolds:

The one I linked above is a later version and totally replaces the one you linked here.

Ah, okay, I read it the opposite way. Looked that way on the house website.

Metatron2008
You're it
Premium Member
join:2008-09-02
united state

Metatron2008

Premium Member

How is Georgia being a bufoon here?

It's just a corporate bought politician. When are the politicians actually on our side?

It's doubtful 20% of people would want this bill.
08034016 (banned)
Hallo lisa Aus Amerika
join:2001-08-31
Byron, GA

08034016 (banned) to cchhat01

to cchhat01

Re: Good guy Google...

said by cchhat01:

... politely asks Georgia to STFU with their broadband (regression) plan HB 282.

Guys full them inbox's up , or we as Consumers well get screwed!!!!!!!!!!!!

08034016 (banned) to marigolds

to marigolds

said by marigolds:

Excuse me Bills like this need to be Banned i wonder if there's a federal law regarding this mess.

MooJohn
join:2005-12-18
Milledgeville, GA

MooJohn

Why not claim ISDN as "broadband"?

3 meg shouldn't be considered broadband anyway. It was 10 years ago maybe. Even my grandfather who is in his 80s has 12 meg service. He is a radiologist and is able to VPN into the hospital and read films via the Kodak PACS system -- something he could never think of with 3 meg service.

I am limited to 6 meg today (Windstream DSL) and I'm somewhere short of 3 miles from their office. Eventually I will switch to Charter (our only other option) who at least offers 50 and 100 meg plans.
tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080

exodus

until George becomes a state of tumbleweeds they won't get the message... I vote for leaving..
neil0311
join:2005-07-24
Marietta, GA

neil0311

said by tmc8080:

until George becomes a state of tumbleweeds they won't get the message... I vote for leaving..

Um...yeah. That's why New Yorkers (like me) by literally the hundreds of thousands to possibly millions (over about 30 years) have relocated here in Georgia from New York.

Good luck with your high tax, low productivity gov't paradise in NY.
severach
join:2002-09-12
Jackson, MI

severach

So long as one

phone company has a T1 somewhere in the area, no broadband for you. Don't forget, phone companies are people too.
tmc8080
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080 to neil0311

to neil0311

Re: exodus

said by neil0311:

said by tmc8080:

Um...yeah. That's why New Yorkers (like me) by literally the hundreds of thousands to possibly millions (over about 30 years) have relocated here in Georgia from New York.

Good luck with your high tax, low productivity gov't paradise in NY.

Plenty of surrounding & southern states WITH more common sense broadband deployment.. Florida, Virginia, Louisiana, Texas, etc. Maybe in the 90s and early 2000s Georgia was a hotspot (for tourists passing through to Florida).. probably not since (AT&T bought Bell South). How's those anti-consumer policies which have the state on par with Canada working out for you down there? The mass exodus of "Notherners" moving south is all-but ended with the work-to-rule & anti-union policies. Basically much (not all) of the south is where the broke go to retire-- but since the early 2000s the northeasterners will move as far west central as they can stomach. Political polarization since 2000 has vast parts of the south off people's radar for relocation- so we can agree to disagree on that one.

*I actually liked Georgia in the mid 1990s.. the i95 corridor was ok especially Shoney's; nice people too. Since, then the rep's not so good.

TelecomEng
@rr.com

TelecomEng

Anon

said by tmc8080:

Plenty of surrounding & southern states WITH more common sense broadband deployment.. Florida, Virginia, Louisiana, Texas, etc.

While there are pockets of good network policy, specifically Lafayette, most of the other areas in the state leave much to be desired. Couple that with an economy dominated by lower wage service and hospitality jobs, few high tech jobs and an education system being eviscerated by governor who is only interested in furthering his own political career (he spends most of this time out of state at the tax payers' expense), Louisiana is not a replace to relocate to, but rather flee from.
intok (banned)
join:2012-03-15

intok (banned) to 08034016

to 08034016

said by 08034016:

said by marigolds:

Excuse me Bills like this need to be Banned i wonder if there's a federal law regarding this mess.

This from a republican?
IanR
join:2001-03-22
Fort Mill, SC

IanR

Is it Constitutional?

How can it be constitutional for a bill to be requested and possibly made "law" by any municipality which madates a lack of competition in basic utility services like braodband?
dagg
join:2001-03-25
Galt, CA

dagg to intok

to intok

as a former republican, whats being passed off today as the republican party is... well... crap.

a true republican line of thought would be 'if i cant get new services in there, i cant get their money. and i want their money... to hell with being the bringer of services... '

what you are referring to as republicans are actually assclowns who are taking kickbacks and bribes. which are exactly the same regardless of the D or the R in front of their name when they are on the evening news.
Sammer
join:2005-12-22
Canonsburg, PA

Sammer to 08034016

to 08034016
said by 08034016:

It's called the Interstate Commerce Clause and the fact that states are attempting to regulate the internet with such laws clearly seems to violate it.
davidhoffman
Premium Member
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman to IanR

Premium Member

to IanR

Re: Is it Constitutional?

Municipalities? I thought the State Of Georgia was doing this. Where did you get the idea municipalities want this law? There is a growing nervousness among incumbent ISPs in Georgia that electric companies and cooperatives could follow the lead of LUS or EPB and decide to FTTH a city in partnership with a city or cities. The incumbents have decided to prevent municipalities from helping the electric power companies and cooperatives from doing that by getting new restrictive laws passed.
08034016 (banned)
Hallo lisa Aus Amerika
join:2001-08-31
Byron, GA

08034016 (banned) to Sammer

to Sammer

said by Sammer:

said by 08034016:

It's called the Interstate Commerce Clause and the fact that states are attempting to regulate the internet with such laws clearly seems to violate it.

Exactly!! Cox communications that, they have this Area locked down like the DMZ monopoly heaven here price you name it.

I would love for congress to get off their ass and pass this!!!!!

internet freedom and nondiscrimination act of 2008
tmc8080
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080 to TelecomEng

to TelecomEng

Re: exodus

I was referring to parts of these states WITH decent broadband.. before & after Katrina in '05 there have been fiber deployments in parts of the state less affected by the storm.

When the is economy crap, there really isn't a good state to be in.. just degrees of less crappiness. Using this standard, there are parts of the southwest (Co, Az and Nm for example) where you can get 10 - 40 megabits broadband too.
Slipen
join:2010-04-18
Cairo, GA

Slipen

No response

I emailed him and all supporters of this bill two weeks ago when it first appeared on the front page here. I have yet to hear back from any of them. I did hear back from my local rep Darlene Taylor and she said she would vote no on it and try to encourage others to do the same.

I also heard back from Casey Cagle and he said he would make sure that the views expressed by voters would be passed on. I emailed all of Windstreams executives last week and nobody but Mollie Chewning the head of customer relations emailed me back. She said she would look into the problem..not holding my breath.
tmc8080
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080 to IanR

to IanR

Re: Is it Constitutional?

said by IanR:

How can it be constitutional for a bill to be requested and possibly made "law" by any municipality which madates a lack of competition in basic utility services like braodband?

Maybe in 1900 - 1950, but in 2000 - 2050 we need quite the opposite. String a fiber cable anywhere you can!!

LMControl
@sbcglobal.net

LMControl

Anon

Sherman would be proud....

... that the scorched earth maneuver is alive and well in Georgia.