spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-03-04 10:48:48: Techdirt directs our attention to the fact that one of the companies behind tracking copyright violations for the new six strikes anti-piracy initiative has been falsely flagging video game mods as copyrighted content. ..

prev page · 1 · 2

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Chubbysumo

Re: What SHOULD happen...

Thing is getting 10000 innocent people and then get them to go to small claims when they have to get to work and do other stuff. That is what the MAFIAA counts on. Accuse everyone, extort from everyone and you get a certain percentage to get scared and pay them the extortion money.

Kai

@teksavvy.com
reply to aciddrink

Re: Oh boy...

I call that... A "Pyramid Lawsuit"!

1 uploader spreads to several, which spreads to more and more... And then they use it as a means to launch charges or lawsuits of the likes to funnel money to themselves.

dra6o0n

join:2011-08-15
Mississauga, ON
Reviews:
·ITalkBB
reply to RWSI

Re: Disconnect

Nope, how corporate sees it is simply numbers, not a symbol or movement.

When a corporation sees profits go down and sees people not going to the movies, instead of thinking "why people aren't going to the movies" they are going to be discussing "How would we gain the income we 'lost'? Maybe scam or charge them for downloading movies?"...

dra6o0n

join:2011-08-15
Mississauga, ON
Reviews:
·ITalkBB
reply to EmoHobo

Re: Bleeding us dry.

Ya think?

At this point the country won't have much of a chance to change for the better, there are too many 'factors' preventing that from happening.

First - The banks.
This factors in a lot on how these 'bankers' and their group of people operate their money laundering schemes.

Second - The government.
This factor is reliant on the loans they take, and the bribes they gain, and the excuses they make.

Third - The corporations.
This factors in the most, but only because of the first two factors above has power. When greed takes hold of someone with power, greed takes hold of groups who interacts with someone who has power.

Simply revolting won't change the world, nay. This is something extremely complex that won't see change, in fact the only result in the end is the extinction of the country, either from a apocalyptic disaster or something in that level of destruction.

Rome ceased to be the greatest nation after it expanded and grew too big, and broke itself apart.

Why do people, like Americans, have to be prideful of their country? Because they've got nothing much else to take pride in. This factors them being unable to give up the illusions they live in.

Granted, no humans want to see reality as reality... The vision we see in the world is how we want to see it, because that's just natural to us.

mikedz4

join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV
reply to Woody79_00

Re: OTA violations

sad thing is the supreme court ruled vcrs are legal. Whether or not they will classify dvrs as vcrs or the media will challange dvrs next is another question. Also what will happen when people start storing shows "in the cloud"?

JTR

join:2012-05-19
Carbondale, IL
reply to mazhurg

Re: Surprize!

If you are innocent, the $35 is refunded to you. I don't even think the fee goes to the ISP in the first place.

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
kudos:3
reply to serge87

Re: Its a large download...must be pirated content!

Along those lines, how do they verify that what is being downloaded is actually the real thing.

For example, what if I created 300 txt files of popular music songs, had them named artist - song title . mp3, and made them about the right size.

But, in reality, they would not be what the file says they are. As I said, I would start with a text file, make it the right size, and rename it to .mp3.

If I was to do that, and host them, and people started to download them, would I get "flagged" as hosting "copyrighted material", when the files themselves was bogus?

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

megarock

join:2001-06-28
Catawissa, MO

Gee...

Looks like it's class action lawsuit time. Anyone who gets a false claim against them should contact attorney firms. They'll sue anyone.

Kamus

join:2011-01-27
El Paso, TX

Where are the douchebags (and/or trolls) now?

Just a couple of days ago the douche-bags were calming that this would NEVER, EVER, EVER, EVER happen. (false positive)

Not only were they wrong, but it took no time at all for them to be wrong.

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
kudos:1
reply to plencnerb

said by plencnerb:

Along those lines, how do they verify that what is being downloaded is actually the real thing.

For example, what if I created 300 txt files of popular music songs, had them named artist - song title . mp3, and made them about the right size.

But, in reality, they would not be what the file says they are. As I said, I would start with a text file, make it the right size, and rename it to .mp3.

If I was to do that, and host them, and people started to download them, would I get "flagged" as hosting "copyrighted material", when the files themselves was bogus?

--Brian

Possibly yes. if the hash happened to be close enough to the database I bet the automatic system would fire off a DMCA notice to your ISP.

the DMCA has zero human oversight. Which is why false positives happen. NASA had part of a news conference on Livestream cut off once. They showed video of the curiosity landing and that triggered an automatic copyright system(because some news source also had that same video.)
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

Hope Dreyer

@verizon.net
reply to Camelot One

Actually you get the $35 back, if they find you not guilty... Another reason for them to not find you not guilty.

Hope Dreier

@verizon.net
reply to plencnerb

Simply, yes.
Expand your moderator at work

Camelot One
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-21
Greenwood, IN
kudos:2
reply to Hope Dreyer

said by Hope Dreyer :

Actually you get the $35 back, if they find you not guilty...

Please name your source, I have not been able to find anything stating that.

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
kudos:1

Something funny about copyright violations

Hollywood partly exists because film makers wanted to avoid paying licensing fees for the patents that Edison had on the process of making motion pictures.

It is kind of funny they cry about downloaders not paying, yet their industry is rooted in people not wanting to pay a license fee.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK
reply to JTR

Re: Surprize!

Yes, because you should always have to answer false allegations by proving yourself innocent to the anonymous accuser, on your own time and dime.

That is written right into the U.S. Constitution, isn't it?
--
"Fascism should more properly be called corporatism because it is the merger of state and corporate power." -- Benito Mussolini

noc007

join:2002-06-18
Cumming, GA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Kearnstd

I remember a story where an original video was uploaded to YouTube. That video was later played by NBC Nightly News IIRC for some segment. A DMCA takedown was done on the original video and they never got permission to air the video anyways.

Seriously, it's out of control.

Hope Dreier

@verizon.net
reply to Camelot One

"Finally, Lesser explained to Ars that consumers will have to pay $35 to the CAS to initiate a review procedure, which will be refunded if the consumer wins the review."

In »arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2012···cost-35/

As I said the fact that they, like the Spanish Inquisition, get to keep your money if they find you guilty indicates to me that they are unlikely to be finding to many people innocent.