dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-03-05 10:26:03: A reliable source at Comcast has provided me with the March launch schedule for the company's speed increases that have been slowly deploying nationwide. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · next
pfsmith
join:2006-11-16
Lafayette, IN

pfsmith

Huh??

I've had 25/4 speeds with the Performance package for 2+ years now in Indiana. Why is this news?

I would really rather have a price decrease, or at least a decent phone/internet bundle w/o TV instead of *any* kind of speed increase.

But, that won't happen.
simplecs
Premium Member
join:2005-05-11
Merced, CA

simplecs

Premium Member

Re: Huh??

You've been seeing 25/4 with powerboost. These upgrades are for sustained speeds.

Anyways, no news on CA....
pfsmith
Lafayette, IN

pfsmith

No, it's sustained. I've tested it thoroughly. Nothing new here.
Renthal
join:2005-10-16
West Lafayette, IN

Renthal

I have to say I am surprised Lafayette would not still be using powerboost since West Lafayette is still using it.

The company I work for provides IS/IT service for a lot of companies in that area and some use Comcast, although they are all business class connections. Recent throughput tests I have done at these locations still are using powerboost as well.
DruX
join:2010-08-18
South Bend, IN

DruX to pfsmith

to pfsmith
I've also had the "New Performance" since I subscribed in Aug. '12. Speeds are 25/4 sustained, not PowerBoost.
floydb1982
join:2004-08-25
Kent, WA

floydb1982 to pfsmith

to pfsmith
I'm still on the 35Mbps/5Mbps speeds in the Kent Easthill area of Washington State. When will my area be upgraded???

nosuchthing
@comcast.net

nosuchthing

Anon

said by floydb1982:

I'm still on the 35Mbps/5Mbps speeds in the Kent Easthill area of Washington State. When will my area be upgraded???

No such tier. If you're speaking of the old Ultra tier of 25/5 then, no. That's a grandfathered tier that's stuck where it is. In WA currently the tiers are Perf - 15/2, Blast - 25/4, Ext 50 - 50/10 and Ext 105 - 105/20. When the increases roll out in WA this month they'll be Perf - 20/4, Blast - 50/10, Ext 105 - 105/20.

The lower tiers(Internet Essentials, Economy, Economy Plus, Performance Starter) won't change.
mattmac
join:2011-03-27
West Palm Beach, FL

mattmac to pfsmith

to pfsmith
I guess I'll be dumping AT&T uverse here in the Southeast
The most getting is 18/ 1.5After the promo it goes up to $62 a month Right now at 39 a month Till the end of the year.

whamel
Premium Member
join:2002-05-09
Evergreen Park, IL

whamel to pfsmith

Premium Member

to pfsmith
WHAT ABOUT MISSISSIPPI????

cableguy23
@usmc.mil

cableguy23 to pfsmith

Anon

to pfsmith
the reason you have been having 25/4 with performance is because Comcast states the lowest speed possible instead of saying the maximum. Technically the you are guarenteed 12/2 with performance but the max speed is 25/4. Now with the speed upgrade you should be getting 35/6 which is the old blast package. If you want that speed though make sure to get a doc 3.0 modem.

indyuser
@comcast.net

indyuser to pfsmith

Anon

to pfsmith
I have been paying for Blast for a decent amount of time, which was advertised (at least at one point in the past) as "up to" 20 down/x up (don't remember exactly, don't think it was quite 4 though).

I have consistently run around 35/6.. the only times it dropped below that is when there was a major issue, and at that point internet is practically useless anyway, so the speed doesn't really matter.

In any case, I hadn't run a speedtest since late February, so it was a nice surprise to run one just a bit ago and find I had 55/11! I thought there was some sort of mistake, honestly. I'm glad there isn't.. haha.

Anyway, is there no option below Performance? I was just curious, since you mentioned wanting a price decrease instead of a speed increase (which I think would be silly for Comcast to consider in this case, considering how many locations they are "rolling out" higher speeds in). I did, for just a few seconds, consider dropping the $10/month to get the same speeds I've been getting for quite some time now, but really.. it's $10. I'll take my upgraded speeds.. they can have my $10.
pfsmith
Lafayette, IN

pfsmith

duplicate deleted
Tomcat353
join:2002-12-27
Jacksonville, FL

1 recommendation

Tomcat353

300Mbps Tier

I wonder if this will become available in Jacksonville, FL with these new speed upgrades...I'm on 105/20 now for $199.95 and would be very interested in upgrading. Does anyone have any details on this?
MRCUR
join:2007-03-09
Lancaster, PA

1 recommendation

MRCUR

Re: 300Mbps Tier

The 305Mb tier is delivered over fiber, so you need to be close enough to a node that Comcast will run the fiber to your premises. I believe the monthly rate is about $300, and there's a hefty install fee along with a contract.

Here's a thread from the Comcast HSI forum with someone who got it installed in the Washington DC area - »Getting 305/65

whfsdude
Premium Member
join:2003-04-05
Washington, DC

whfsdude to Tomcat353

Premium Member

to Tomcat353
said by Tomcat353:

I wonder if this will become available in Jacksonville, FL with these new speed upgrades...I'm on 105/20 now for $199.95 and would be very interested in upgrading. Does anyone have any details on this?

I see no reason why it would not be available in any market Comcast offers MetroE service. You just have to meet the installation requirements which Comcast seems flexible on. In my case, they had to run fiber underground for a few city blocks.
Tomcat353
join:2002-12-27
Jacksonville, FL

1 recommendation

Tomcat353

Thanks for the information guys. I'm aware of how much it costs and $300/mo isn't too bad for what you get. whfsdude, did you simply call Comcast and ask them about this tier or did you go through ComcastSteve or somebody here to get you setup?

whfsdude
Premium Member
join:2003-04-05
Washington, DC

whfsdude

Premium Member

said by Tomcat353:

Thanks for the information guys. I'm aware of how much it costs and $300/mo isn't too bad for what you get. whfsdude, did you simply call Comcast and ask them about this tier or did you go through ComcastSteve or somebody here to get you setup?

I opened a ticket with ComcastSteve in the direct forum. I didn't have him place the order, just asked for a callback so I could discuss if I qualify and then place the order.

Executive support called me a few days later.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

Already have the upgraded speeds

I'm in the Northeast and I've had the upgraded speeds for some time now.

PapaMidnight
join:2009-01-13
Baltimore, MD

PapaMidnight

Baltimore-Washington Metropolitan Area

Still at 25/4 Here. Anyone else seen upgrades in this area?
Bob61571
join:2008-08-08
Washington, IL

Bob61571

What about Illinois Comcast speeds?

FYI for those not from Illinois....Chicago is not Illinois, and Illinois is not Chicago...at least as far as Comcast's priorities....
wstagner
join:2003-06-23
Yorkville, IL

wstagner

Re: What about Illinois Comcast speeds?

I'm in Yorkville, IL (west of Chicago) and we're @ 25/4.

Randomer
@comcast.net

Randomer

Anon

Speeds

What about California? hmmm

Ultibeam
join:2008-05-27
USA

Ultibeam

Re: Speeds

I'd like to know that too. Does the west coast get this?
atscntsc
join:2013-03-06
Redwood City, CA

atscntsc to Randomer

to Randomer
An Xfinity commercial aired Wednesday morning in the Bay Area announcing speed upgrades. I have posted details in a later post in this thread.

Netbum
join:2002-04-08
Oakley, CA

Netbum to Randomer

to Randomer
You mean the largest state in the Union? Ha,almost always last.
How long has the NE Market been upgraded?
I know,if you're near Fios,you,ll get it.
Some day...
BullyRED
join:2004-04-08
Grayslake, IL

BullyRED

Your source stinks...

I'm in the "Chicago" market and was told by a sales rep and an installer 2 weeks ago that March 14th is the date for the speed increases across Chicago.

I confirmed that I'm not seeing the update...guessing everybody else could confirm this.

mbarys
join:2002-07-08
Channahon, IL

mbarys

Re: Your source stinks...

I rebooted my modem last night and this morning I did a speedtest and got 50/10. I'm on Blast in the Chicagoland area (South).

The reason I rebooted last night was because I saw a commercial stating the speeds were in place. Thought I'd give it a try.
BullyRED
Grayslake, IL

BullyRED

Huh...maybe it's me that stinks! I didn't reboot yet...will try later
dfxmatt
join:2007-08-21
Crystal Lake, IL

dfxmatt to mbarys

to mbarys
I just upgraded to extreme via the promotion, from blast.

end result? they haven't unlocked all 8 channels, so I'm stuck with 4 and now get to have a technician sent out.

proof that comcast support is just as bad as ever.

TonyG
@comcast.net

TonyG to mbarys

Anon

to mbarys
I get 31 download and 10.6 upload so the download has not upgraded yet. In chicago with Blast.

CUBS_FAN
2016 World Series Champs
join:2005-04-28
Chicago, IL

CUBS_FAN to mbarys

to mbarys
So in order to get the new speeds you need to reboot your modem?

koitsu
MVM
join:2002-07-16
Mountain View, CA
Humax BGW320-500

koitsu

MVM

said by CUBS_FAN:

So in order to get the new speeds you need to reboot your modem?

Yes; the change is done via modem configuration files which are fetched by the modem from Comcast only when the modem reboots and if the config file has changed since the last reboot. So if you reboot and you don't see a change in speed then the upgrade hasn't been rolled out to your area.

CUBS_FAN
2016 World Series Champs
join:2005-04-28
Chicago, IL

CUBS_FAN

said by koitsu:

So if you reboot and you don't see a change in speed then the upgrade hasn't been rolled out to your area.

I was told Performance won't see upgrades to 25/5 until later this month or next month

anonil
@comcastbusiness.net

anonil to BullyRED

Anon

to BullyRED
we have 50/10 business class and we are not seeing the upgraded speeds after a modem reboot today

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium Member
join:2005-03-19
Mullica Hill, NJ

ArrayList

Premium Member

probably because business class isn't being upgraded
MRCUR
Lancaster, PA

MRCUR to anonil

to anonil
Biz class != residential.
BullyRED
Grayslake, IL

BullyRED

Ok - I stand corrected...I rebooted and now I'm getting 55/11 (weird) over the 25/4 of yesterday. I feel like I'm still getting a little bit of boost but I'll take it.
mario02423
join:2004-06-09
Berwyn, IL

mario02423 to BullyRED

to BullyRED
My connection goes through the head end 'ecermak.il' and I saw speeds increase on March 4th. My billing zip code is not a Chicago one, and my TV guide is considered Elmhurst.

imanon
@comcast.net

imanon to BullyRED

Anon

to BullyRED
Lake Zurich, IL here (actually closer to Mundelein but I am told we're off the Lake Zurich headend) and even after rebooting modem, still stuck at 25Mbps. Modem did get a new firmware file when compared with earlier in the year...
Old was SB_KOMODO-1.0.6.6-SCM00-NOSH
New is SB_KOMODO-1.0.6.8-SCM01-NOSH
Old was PSPU-Boot(25CLK) 1.0.12.
New is PSPU-Boot(25CLK) 1.0.12.18m3
...not sure which, if any dictates the speed.
breto
join:2013-03-12
Lake Zurich, IL

breto

LZ here too, my modem says...
Firmware Name: SB_KOMODO-1.0.6.10-SCM00-NOSH
Boot Version: PSPU-Boot(25CLK) 1.0.12.18m3
Firmware Build Time: Oct 29 2012 18:07:13
Speed test says 25.13 down 4.28 up

koitsu
MVM
join:2002-07-16
Mountain View, CA
Humax BGW320-500

koitsu to imanon

MVM

to imanon
said by imanon :

Lake Zurich, IL here (actually closer to Mundelein but I am told we're off the Lake Zurich headend) and even after rebooting modem, still stuck at 25Mbps. Modem did get a new firmware file when compared with earlier in the year...
Old was SB_KOMODO-1.0.6.6-SCM00-NOSH
New is SB_KOMODO-1.0.6.8-SCM01-NOSH
Old was PSPU-Boot(25CLK) 1.0.12.
New is PSPU-Boot(25CLK) 1.0.12.18m3
...not sure which, if any dictates the speed.

The firmware update is completely 100% unrelated to the tier speed increase.
SunnyD
join:2009-03-20
Madison, AL

SunnyD

Are they still running caps?

Or are the caps still "suspended"?

•••
danham5
join:2012-07-27
Harwich, MA

danham5

Conflicting info

I got an email from Comcast last week announcing the new speeds and saying that I needed to get rid of my "end of life" SA modem and get a DOCSIS 3 model.

I went to their office here on Cape Cod (always an "interesting" experience) and the gal there said I didn't need a new modem and that the SA was not EOL. I pointed out that their web site, linked from the email notice, says it is EOL. She shrugged and gave me a new Cisco DPC 3008 modem and after activation it appears I am getting roughly 23/5 on "Performance" and no more boost.

-dan

ropeguru
Premium Member
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

ropeguru

Premium Member

And Business users will get...

a real upgrade when?

(Crickets chirping)

Yeah, just as I thought....

And no, going from 22/5 to 27/7 is NOT a real upgrade.

•••

Cheese
Premium Member
join:2003-10-26
Naples, FL

Cheese

Premium Member

So....

Naples would be South Florida?

mustang50
Premium Member
join:2005-05-06
Roseville, MI

mustang50

Premium Member

Insider Gives Us Comcast's March Speed Upgrade Schedule

Good news, thanks Karl.
delltechkid
join:2004-11-09
Hermitage, TN

delltechkid

Nashville?

Any news on when Nashville sees these speed upgrades. We've been hearing the ads for the last 4 weeks or so about the upcoming speed increases.

Kfedka
Premium Member
join:2005-05-06
Spokane, WA

Kfedka

Premium Member

What about business class

I have business class internet at 16/3 on contract. Will this speed stay the same or get upgraded as well.

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium Member
join:2005-03-19
Mullica Hill, NJ

ArrayList

Premium Member

Re: What about business class

I'm in the same boat, I'm guessing it will stay the same.
MRCUR
Lancaster, PA

MRCUR to Kfedka

to Kfedka
Biz class is not being upgraded for most tiers. I have seen some posts that 16/3 bumped up to something in the 20s, but the 50/10 customers are not moving.
Papageno
join:2011-01-26
Portland, OR

Papageno

I don't see Portland OR on the schedule

But when I called, a CSR said that my Performance tier (currently at 16/2) should get a boost by the end of March. We'll see.

•••••
kaila
join:2000-10-11
Lincolnshire, IL

kaila

Chicago area subscriber on the old 'Ultra' 22/5 tier....

No changes. Didn't expect to see a speed increase on this dead tier, but am a little surprised Comcast is letting the package stay in existence.

JigglyWiggly
join:2009-07-12
Pleasanton, CA

JigglyWiggly

Re: Chicago area subscriber on the old 'Ultra' 22/5 tier....

nothing for california? @_@

Darknessfall
Premium Member
join:2012-08-17

1 edit

1 recommendation

Darknessfall

Premium Member

Performance Info

The performance tier is 20/4 but actually 22/4.5 sustained and not 25/4. Also some users such as us in CT have been still getting download PB on our performance tier upgrade even though it barely lasts long enough to notice it.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT

PeteC2

MVM

Re: Performance Info

said by Darknessfall:

The performance tier is 20/4 but actually 22/4.5 sustained and not 25/4. Also some users such as us in CT have been still getting download PB on our performance tier upgrade even though it barely lasts long enough to notice it.

Yep, exactly the same speeds that I am getting in CT. No PB on the upload but still getting PB on the download.

richdelb
Go Hawks Go
Premium Member
join:2003-01-22
Algonquin, IL

richdelb

Premium Member

New speeds

Got a new modem from Comcast today and the new speeds are here in the Northwest burbs (Chicago area) (according to the local Comcast office, they officially launched in my area yesterday)

I have been testing between 45 and 53 down and around 11 up all afternoon.
ExoticFish
join:2008-08-31
Zebulon, NC

1 edit

ExoticFish

Your "Source"

Leaves out 98% of the country.

•••••
page: 1 · 2 · 3 · next