dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-03-07 14:36:50: AT&T has started using push polls and astroturf to convince Kentucky residents losing their DSL lines, paying higher prices, and losing all state consumer protections is going to work out really well for them. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

timcuth
Braves Fan
Premium Member
join:2000-09-18
Pelham, AL
Technicolor ET2251

timcuth

Premium Member

I refuse...

to go to either cable or LTE for my home Internet use. If I have to, I will start doing without the Internet.

Tim

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

skeechan

Premium Member

Confuse locals? No.

Give cover to locals that take telco bribes hand over fist? Yes.
SunnyD
join:2009-03-20
Madison, AL

SunnyD

To be fair...

With the way AT&T doesn't give a rats ass about running their services, upgrading their infrastructure, and customer care all while continually raising rates and under-the-line fees... I personally will be more than happy to flee AT&T as soon as the option presents itself.

I see absolutely no value in pretty much any product AT&T is currently offering, and unfortunately as far as home internet service goes, it's the only real option I have currently.

admin123
@myvzw.com

admin123 to timcuth

Anon

to timcuth

Re: I refuse...

If i had att for my home internet i'd go without internet.
CXM_Splicer
Looking at the bigger picture
Premium Member
join:2011-08-11
NYC

CXM_Splicer

Premium Member

New site name?

When Verizon and AT&T have successfully pushed everyone off of DSL and no longer offer it, what will become of this site? Will they change the name to LTEReports.com??

SimbaSeven
I Void Warranties
join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT

SimbaSeven

Eh.. It'll still be BBR. You also have everyone else that's stuck with CL or Frontier.

MovieLover76
join:2009-09-11
Cherry Hill, NJ
(Software) pfSense
Asus RT-AC68
Asus RT-AC66

MovieLover76 to SunnyD

to SunnyD

Re: To be fair...

But the point is the only other option coming will be more expensive AT&T LTE and even that isn't a given.
Areas not served by cable won't magically get cable, or some other option.

This PR bs doesn't improve infrastructure at all, it degrades it.

Probitas
@teksavvy.com

Probitas

Anon

more evidence

This is just yet more evidence that the Supreme Court ruling granting corporations citizen rights was the DUMBEST move ever in legal history.

MovieLover76
join:2009-09-11
Cherry Hill, NJ

1 recommendation

MovieLover76 to timcuth

to timcuth

Doing without the internet is getting harder and harder.
In my case, I can't be without it, I need to have it at home for my job.
silbaco
Premium Member
join:2009-08-03
USA

1 recommendation

silbaco to timcuth

Premium Member

to timcuth
I'm curious. Why refuse to go to cable? It almost has to be faster than what you have, assuming it is available.
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT
·Frontier FiberOp..
Asus RT-AC68

BiggA

Premium Member

Where is the evidence?

That AT&T is going to shut any DSL off? That fundamentally MAKES NO SENSE. They have a profitable copper plant, they're not going to just turn it off. DSLR keeps posting this same story with different variations, over and over, with no evidence that their theory is at all accurate.
big_e
join:2011-03-05

big_e to MovieLover76

to MovieLover76

One of the arguments against regulating the internet as utility is that nobody "needs" the internet. However many of the same people claim the US Postal Service needs to be disbanded or privatized because nobody uses snail mail anymore.

So what does the future hold? You'll have to fork over big money for LTE or cable internet just for the privilege to pay your bills, or you'll have to pay about the same amount of money on private mail couriers should the USPS go away. Either way big corporations will get their cut from you.

noc007
join:2002-06-18
Cumming, GA

noc007

Upgrayedd

Two Ds for a double dose of pimpin'

Sorry. Couldn't help myself.

hyphenated
@bellsouth.net

hyphenated to silbaco

Anon

to silbaco

I tried our local 6Meg Cable and its 1-2 at best with latency about the same as your average 3G or dial up connection.

I would ask to show me a decent and reliable wireless service before trying to force it. Give them a trial, launch large scale and give them the first 3 months free. If you think it will work great and all that, then that wouldn't be a problem would it? Wireless is great for providers I bet, but it really sucks for end users, when you get down to it. Although I think it would be great for extremely rural areas (isnt this is what sat is for?) but please don't be mistaken and think wireless is a great solution for everyone. Mobile yes, its ideal/convenient, people are spoiled. Even at home. Aren't we starting see this smart home thing? How are smart homes going to work well in the future, not. I can't even get a decent 3G connection on the ipad/safari in most areas. With that wireless you'll be blasting so much rad at folks they'll all be choking and spitting and sputting in no time! Haven't we already paid for the wireline/POTS/DSL times over, give it to the government, maybe they can keep it around and help these folks out.

Disclaimer: this is just my rambling, thanks for hearing my rant/opinion.
hyphenated

hyphenated to BiggA

Anon

to BiggA

Re: Where is the evidence?

LOL
ISurfTooMuch
join:2007-04-23
Tuscaloosa, AL

ISurfTooMuch to noc007

to noc007

Re: Upgrayedd

Is he Dutch?

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5 to timcuth

Premium Member

to timcuth

said by timcuth:

to go to either cable or LTE for my home Internet use. If I have to, I will start doing without the Internet.

Tim

No you won't. People say that and never follow through on their threats.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

1 recommendation

Kearnstd to silbaco

Premium Member

to silbaco
said by silbaco:

I'm curious. Why refuse to go to cable? It almost has to be faster than what you have, assuming it is available.

Some people still think cable is bad because it is "shared". I personally have never had any issues with cable in the two states I have lived in. In fact I have found that cable is less picky about line quality than DSL.

shortyd999
join:2008-10-21
Birmingham, AL

shortyd999 to noc007

to noc007

Re: Upgrayedd

I just watch that over the weekend. "Welcome to AOL-TimeWarner-TacoBell Long Distance!" Lol

timcuth
Braves Fan
Premium Member
Pelham, AL
Technicolor ET2251

timcuth to silbaco

Premium Member

to silbaco

said by silbaco:

Charter. Enough said.

Tim

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
·Metronet

1 recommendation

CylonRed to Kearnstd

MVM

to Kearnstd
said by Kearnstd:

said by silbaco:

Some people still think cable is bad because it is "shared". I personally have never had any issues with cable in the two states I have lived in. In fact I have found that cable is less picky about line quality than DSL.

How good cable is largely depends on how good the design of the build out was and who lives around you. More older folks - potential for less problems with an ok design. The more young folks - the better the design needs to be - in general.

I hate TW with an absolute passion and will do almost anything not to go to them...

CaptainRR
Premium Member
join:2006-04-21
Blue Rock, OH

CaptainRR to admin123

Premium Member

to admin123
I have at&t for home phone and can't or will never be able to get internet from them!
elray
join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA

elray

LTE is an upgrade

Given the complaints we read here about service levels, going from 1.5M DSL or no DSL to 6M or more via LTE would absolutely be an upgrade.

Its also more competitive. Its a lot easier for another carrier to enter the fray.
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned) to timcuth

to timcuth

said by timcuth:

said by silbaco:

Charter. Enough said.

Tim

Charter > than At&t dsl or U-verse. Nuff said.

Tel
join:2001-10-12
Mauldin, SC

1 recommendation

Tel to timcuth

to timcuth
said by timcuth:

said by silbaco:

Charter. Enough said.

Tim

Amen
me1212
join:2008-11-20
Lees Summit, MO

me1212 to timcuth

to timcuth
Why? I mean I can understand with the caps on LTE, but if they didn't have them and other than just not being wired was all the same as cable. Why would you not get one of them?
Cobra11M
join:2010-12-23
Mineral Wells, TX

Cobra11M to elray

to elray

Re: LTE is an upgrade

said by elray:

Given the complaints we read here about service levels, going from 1.5M DSL or no DSL to 6M or more via LTE would absolutely be an upgrade.

Its also more competitive. Its a lot easier for another carrier to enter the fray.

and yet theirs the problem, AT&T and Verizon wont compete to give the rural areas the right amount of data they need for the right price.. look if you think 10 gigs is what a rural family should have at the price of 300 or more then maybe you should pay that and see how it works out.. People need way more than that..roughly 50 gigs min 100 is generous 250 is perfect.. sure im not talkin about Netflix or anything like that just being able to use a fast wireless connection for school or whatever.. 10 gigs can be blown threw fast, heck maybe someone might come in and get a contract with AT&T to provide data service to rural areas.. but I doubt it
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT

BiggA to hyphenated

Premium Member

to hyphenated

Re: Where is the evidence?

LOL what? That DSLR keeps posting these same, unfounded claims?

hyphenated
@mycingular.net

hyphenated to Kearnstd

Anon

to Kearnstd

Yeh this head end or something is a little wishy washy but it works I guess :/ (most of the time, from what ive seen) $80 for "7/1" - didn't even try it. Even if Comcast bought them out and offered me 50/10 I would still keep my DSL 6/.5, at least a dual wan. Our DSL has slways been great around here. I'd really rather have some vdsl or fiber than cable co, any day.

Yeh cable still has issues half of the time, I've see a 50/10 running around 2 or 3 down at times and recently folks with trouble when it rains, imagine that. Cable is affected by these sort of things also.

Someone just get me s solid 10/10 with low latency that i can afford already

Good grief

timcuth
Braves Fan
Premium Member
Pelham, AL
Technicolor ET2251

timcuth to me1212

Premium Member

to me1212
said by me1212:

Why? I mean I can understand with the caps on LTE, but if they didn't have them and other than just not being wired was all the same as cable. Why would you not get one of them?

LTE would be fine if it weren't so expensive to actually use it. The phones in my household that currently have LTE have 3 GB per month caps. That is a total of $90 per month for three lines, already. Offhand, I don't know what the overages cost, but I don't really even want to think about them.

Sure, if they offered LTE with enough data for home use at a reasonable price, that would be fine. But ... they don't.

Tim
page: 1 · 2 · next