dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-03-07 14:36:50: AT&T has started using push polls and astroturf to convince Kentucky residents losing their DSL lines, paying higher prices, and losing all state consumer protections is going to work out really well for them. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
·Metronet

1 recommendation

CylonRed to Kearnstd

MVM

to Kearnstd

Re: I refuse...

said by Kearnstd:

said by silbaco:

I'm curious. Why refuse to go to cable? It almost has to be faster than what you have, assuming it is available.

Some people still think cable is bad because it is "shared". I personally have never had any issues with cable in the two states I have lived in. In fact I have found that cable is less picky about line quality than DSL.

How good cable is largely depends on how good the design of the build out was and who lives around you. More older folks - potential for less problems with an ok design. The more young folks - the better the design needs to be - in general.

I hate TW with an absolute passion and will do almost anything not to go to them...

CaptainRR
Premium Member
join:2006-04-21
Blue Rock, OH

CaptainRR to admin123

Premium Member

to admin123
I have at&t for home phone and can't or will never be able to get internet from them!
elray
join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA

elray

LTE is an upgrade

Given the complaints we read here about service levels, going from 1.5M DSL or no DSL to 6M or more via LTE would absolutely be an upgrade.

Its also more competitive. Its a lot easier for another carrier to enter the fray.
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned) to timcuth

to timcuth

said by timcuth:

said by silbaco:

I'm curious. Why refuse to go to cable? It almost has to be faster than what you have, assuming it is available.

Charter. Enough said.

Tim

Charter > than At&t dsl or U-verse. Nuff said.

Tel
join:2001-10-12
Mauldin, SC

1 recommendation

Tel to timcuth

to timcuth
said by timcuth:

said by silbaco:

Charter. Enough said.

Tim

Amen
me1212
join:2008-11-20
Lees Summit, MO

me1212 to timcuth

to timcuth
Why? I mean I can understand with the caps on LTE, but if they didn't have them and other than just not being wired was all the same as cable. Why would you not get one of them?
Cobra11M
join:2010-12-23
Mineral Wells, TX

Cobra11M to elray

to elray

Re: LTE is an upgrade

said by elray:

Given the complaints we read here about service levels, going from 1.5M DSL or no DSL to 6M or more via LTE would absolutely be an upgrade.

Its also more competitive. Its a lot easier for another carrier to enter the fray.

and yet theirs the problem, AT&T and Verizon wont compete to give the rural areas the right amount of data they need for the right price.. look if you think 10 gigs is what a rural family should have at the price of 300 or more then maybe you should pay that and see how it works out.. People need way more than that..roughly 50 gigs min 100 is generous 250 is perfect.. sure im not talkin about Netflix or anything like that just being able to use a fast wireless connection for school or whatever.. 10 gigs can be blown threw fast, heck maybe someone might come in and get a contract with AT&T to provide data service to rural areas.. but I doubt it
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT

BiggA to hyphenated

Premium Member

to hyphenated

Re: Where is the evidence?

LOL what? That DSLR keeps posting these same, unfounded claims?

hyphenated
@mycingular.net

hyphenated to Kearnstd

Anon

to Kearnstd

Yeh this head end or something is a little wishy washy but it works I guess :/ (most of the time, from what ive seen) $80 for "7/1" - didn't even try it. Even if Comcast bought them out and offered me 50/10 I would still keep my DSL 6/.5, at least a dual wan. Our DSL has slways been great around here. I'd really rather have some vdsl or fiber than cable co, any day.

Yeh cable still has issues half of the time, I've see a 50/10 running around 2 or 3 down at times and recently folks with trouble when it rains, imagine that. Cable is affected by these sort of things also.

Someone just get me s solid 10/10 with low latency that i can afford already

Good grief

timcuth
Braves Fan
Premium Member
join:2000-09-18
Pelham, AL
Technicolor ET2251

timcuth to me1212

Premium Member

to me1212
said by me1212:

Why? I mean I can understand with the caps on LTE, but if they didn't have them and other than just not being wired was all the same as cable. Why would you not get one of them?

LTE would be fine if it weren't so expensive to actually use it. The phones in my household that currently have LTE have 3 GB per month caps. That is a total of $90 per month for three lines, already. Offhand, I don't know what the overages cost, but I don't really even want to think about them.

Sure, if they offered LTE with enough data for home use at a reasonable price, that would be fine. But ... they don't.

Tim

tigerpaw509
join:2011-01-19

tigerpaw509

I'm Happy

Comcast just doubled my speeds from 25/6 to 50/10 for free.
Why would someone pay $15 per Gig on a 2 gig cap Lte ???
Did I mention free ???

chip89
Premium Member
join:2012-07-05
Columbia Station, OH

chip89 to CXM_Splicer

Premium Member

to CXM_Splicer

Re: New site name?

If the sites name is going to be changed it will be cablereports.com!

kevinds
Premium Member
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB

kevinds to BiggA

Premium Member

to BiggA

Still make even more money using the cellular service.

Ongoing maintainance will be much cheaper too, upgrade the wireless, cut the copper, return I suspect will be less than a year.
BiggA
Premium Member
Central CT
·Frontier FiberOp..
Asus RT-AC68

BiggA

Premium Member

The thing is, cellular doesn't really compete with DSL. In most places, they will lose subs to cable, as in-town places that can get DSL usually have cable, in a few other places, a wide open market would entice cable, and in the remaining ones, satellite is probably the next logical choice, and then if they wanted wireless, there are competitors they can go with. Those scenarios don't work well for AT&T when they already have a copper plant. This whole thing doesn't make sense. What states should do, however, is give AT&T the right to cut ANYONE off of copper provided that they provide a GPON fiber connection to them. That would promote deployment of FTTH. FTTH is a direct replacement for telephone and internet, and adds triple play to the mix.

Xioden
Premium Member
join:2008-06-10
Monticello, NY

Xioden to BiggA

Premium Member

to BiggA
It's not whether it is profitable or not, but rather HOW profitable. Shareholders want to see large returns, and these days 5-10% profit margins are no longer acceptable.

deathstar
@insightbb.com

deathstar to BiggA

Anon

to BiggA
att are pushing rural areas off dsl and pots. att doesnt want to invest in copper plant that they have neglected over the years. att only cares about the cell phone side. they are on purpose running off pots and dsl customers.
elray
join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA

elray to Cobra11M

to Cobra11M

Sorry, but you'll never convince me that we need to subsidize broadband so rural folks can watch streaming video - and besides, that's an issue for Netflix to attack, not the government.

Homework doesn't have to require broadband, and any seasoned educator knows that; but I will stipulate that the potential of the virtual classroom is the "killer app" that would convince most conservatives to support communal broadband expansion - in exchange for school choice.

The initial offerings for LTE aren't as generous as I'd like them to be, but that's what will entice a second player to the market, and rates will come down over time.
raybrett
join:2001-02-20
Saint Louis, MO

raybrett

Obselete logo

Never have heard a good -or actually any- reason an obselete logo is used to head the stories regarding AT&T.

hyphenated
@bellsouth.net

hyphenated to elray

Anon

to elray

So they can't keep Dsl around in an lte target area because it may be a threat, i assume. Yet they want to pull it. That will be the end. I want ever use that crap. Isn't this over there near the google fiber thing.

Lte is a cheap alternative, maybe an upgrade from a 3G network.
BiggA
Premium Member
Central CT
·Frontier FiberOp..
Asus RT-AC68

BiggA to Xioden

Premium Member

to Xioden

That thinking is illogical, even for Wall Street. If you make $10 off of DSL, and $100,000 off of wireless, you make $110,000. If you get rid of DSL, you only make $100,000. Even AT&T's own stupid ads would make the choice simple: more is better. Thus, this whole thing makes no sense. I could see it becoming unprofitable in some areas that are 100% built out with cable, since everyone would switch to cable, and the service density would be low, but if there is no cable option, everyone would have DSL, be trapped with slow, crappy service, and AT&T isn't investing in new technology, so it would be a cash cow. Heck, they could raise the rates, the if the customers have no option, then they would have to pay them.

Granted, AT&T's entire model makes no sense, as they are basically giving up in markets with cable, as U-Verse is already at the end of it's life, as cable cranked up the heat on bandwidth, but given AT&T's current model of keeping copper around, the markets without a cable competitor would be the BEST markets for AT&T, as their strategy doesn't work when they have a cable company that actually has bandwidth to compete against, but it works great when they are the only game in town.

I wonder how long it will take for AT&T either to split off it's wireline division or FINALLY realize that GPON FTTH is the future?

Xioden
Premium Member
join:2008-06-10
Monticello, NY

Xioden

Premium Member

Except they want profit *now*. Long term profits are a thing of the past for the majority of corporations.

Why bother wiring up and giving service and support to hundreds of homes in an area when you can wire up a couple towers that will service those same houses. Oh and don't forget that with these towers we can provide worse service, with more limitations, for the same or higher prices! It's a win-win-win for the shareholders right now who won't be around when it backfires down the road.
BiggA
Premium Member
Central CT
·Frontier FiberOp..
Asus RT-AC68

BiggA

Premium Member

For fiber, yes, that's the problem, it's because their attention span is about that of a 2-year-old, and their cognitive ability is less, but for existing DSL system, they ALREADY have them. There is no reason to get rid of them.

The short term thinking on fiber is also a management issue, as they need to tell the shareholders why it is so important, because they are obviously stupid. AT&T should have started 5 years ago building GPON in their more populous markets, and then started overbuilding in places they aren't an incumbent, with plans to, within 10-15 years, cover 100% of their customers with GPON.

goodbyeatt
@reliablehosting.com

goodbyeatt

Anon

no more att for me

my number port from att is complete so that is a $40/mo. savings and i switched from dsl to cable last year. done with att now and moving on.

PasteLips
@64.56.89.x

PasteLips to raybrett

Anon

to raybrett

Re: Obselete logo

Relevant and/or Authentic?
(Sentence fragments may not be completely inscribing your quandary, eg. obsolete.)
dra6o0n
join:2011-08-15
Mississauga, ON

dra6o0n to SunnyD

to SunnyD

Re: To be fair...

So what if some other company comes along when they are cutting wires and ripping up lines, and starts placing their own lines instead?

The Incumbents can't really remove something that aren't theirs...
doechsli
join:2003-11-26
Louisville, KY

doechsli

AT&T in Kentucky......what a joke....

I live inside the city limits of the LARGEST city in Kentucky and I had to drop AT&T data because the copper was so pathetic it would not support U-Verse. It would BARELY support 1.5 DSL. The requirements of my job require a reasonably fast and reliable connection so I had no choice but to go to cable and Time-Warner who just bought out Insight Communications. My phone tech who did some troubleshooting told me I was on the LAST wire pair on the line and if it failed or tested poorly I was out of luck for any sort of DSL and it was quite clear the copper would never be replaced. I have contacted my state representatives to kill this AT&T deregulation but I think they get lost in the techno-babble and take AT&T at their word.
47717768 (banned)
join:2003-12-08
Birmingham, AL

47717768 (banned)

What is DSL

The question is what is DSL?
Cable is much better than crappy DSL.
page: 1 · 2 · next