spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-03-08 14:41:55: A Berkeley city councilman has proposed a tax on e-mail and each bit as a possible way to help shore up the United States Postal Service's dwindling funds. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · next

N3OGH
Yo Soy Col. "Bat" Guano
Premium
join:2003-11-11
Philly burbs
kudos:2

6 recommendations

Tax man....

If you send email, he'll tax the bits,
If download tunes, he'll tax the hits.
If you stream online, he'll tax Netflix,
If you watch Pr0n, he'll tax those pix.

'Cause he's the TAX MAN!
--
Petty people are disproportionally corrupted by petty power

brianiscool

join:2000-08-16
Miami, FL
kudos:1

1 recommendation

Taxing the internet will just damage the economy. In no way will this save the post office. People can just host their own e-mail services or do it outside the country. I find this idea flawed and will not work at all.

rradina

join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO

1 cent per gigabyte tax

Wouldn't that raise the wholesale cost per gigabyte by 1000%?

djnrg787

join:2009-06-10
Saint Louis, MO

1 recommendation

LOL

Go back to bed old man nobody wants to hear your tax talk, its more complicated then that how do you tax international traffic, across state lines traffic someone stuff a sock in this guys mouth.

Anon002

@cox.net

Or why not....

Try making a government run email service as part of the Postal Service, and then charge yearly fees for that. Run spam protection on it (by simply disallowing outside email sources to deliver to it). Internal virus protection, kiosks in the postal centers to check it, etc etc.

I mean if we the Taxpayer are supposedly funding it, then let it do more than it does now and stop leaving it mired in ancient technology.

SMTP STILL SUCKS, and the moment someone does something better this "bill" would become superfluous..fuck its already superfluous in the face of Facebook, Skype and the other ways to "electronically communicate" while offline or online.

morbo
Complete Your Transaction

join:2002-01-22

7 day a week package delivery

If we want to save the USPS, the way to do it is to put a higher emphasis on package delivery. Instead of cutting service from 6 days to 5, have daily package delivery (holidays too) at an appropriate price.

FFH5
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

2 recommendations

UN has proposed this a few times

This idiotic idea is not new. The UN has suggested something be done on an international scale a few times. It is nothing but grasping politicians trying to find just one more way to fleece the people out of their money. And it would start VERY low price to start, but year by year the rates would go up.
--
Senate - get off your butts and actually create a budget that has spending cuts 3x the amount of tax increases like you promised.

zed260
Premium
join:2011-11-11
Cleveland, TN

stupid

taxing email wont save the post office get red of there healthcare mandate for starters

TelecomEng

@cisco.com

Here's a better way to fix the Post Office...

Repeal the Postal Accountability and Enhancement Act of 2006 that forces the USPS to fund 75 years of pension costs in the span of nine, you read that right, years.

antonio010

join:2002-11-24
reply to morbo

Re: 7 day a week package delivery

USPS already offers this service. You can have an Express Mail package delivered on Sundays and holiday's for an additional fee.

SlowFITL

join:2012-02-01
Mobile, AL

Gotta be a

Democrat

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

1 recommendation

The post office should cut costs

The post office could cut costs by delivering weekdays in urban areas and twice or three times a week to rural areas.

They could also charge higher postage for delivery to rural areas or require rural residents pay a monthly fee to receive mail but could get a PO Box free of charge.

I have a PO Box because there are certain individuals/companies I don't want them to have my home address.

A PO Box is the old fashioned way of hiding behind a screen name.

--
I've experienced ImOn (when they were McLeod USA), Mediacom, Comcast, and Time Warner. They are much better than broadcast TV.

I have not and will not cut the cord.

footballdude
Premium
join:2002-08-13
Imperial, MO
reply to SlowFITL

Re: Gotta be a

said by SlowFITL:

Democrat

The article did say Berkeley.
--
Concentrated power has always been the enemy of liberty - Ronald Reagan

seamore
Premium
join:2009-11-02
reply to SlowFITL
said by SlowFITL:

Democrat

They're all the same.

CXM_Splicer
Looking at the bigger picture
Premium
join:2011-08-11
NYC
kudos:2

2 recommendations

reply to TelecomEng

Re: Here's a better way to fix the Post Office...

^^^^ THIS ^^^^

Is 100% correct. The current Postal Service problems are caused by a stupid decision that needs to be repealed. No where else does such a requirement exist. It is nothing but the deliberate destruction of the Post Office by congress-critters who will most likely profit directly from its demise.

Where is the bill to require UPS & FedEx to fund their pensions for the next 75 years?

»www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/2···211.html

SlowFITL

join:2012-02-01
Mobile, AL
Reviews:
·AT&T Southeast
reply to seamore

said by seamore:

said by SlowFITL:

Democrat

They're all the same.

They're are some good politicians out there. They are just few and far between.

Mike
Premium,Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA

Help the Post Office?

Tax email?

Let them raise the cost of a stamp to 50 cents.

Done.

ISurfTooMuch

join:2007-04-23
Tuscaloosa, AL

1 recommendation

reply to IowaCowboy

Re: The post office should cut costs

I'm not in favor of penalizing people and businesses in rural areas. Those areas have enough hardships. No reason to add more.

What the USPS needs to do is find a way to beat UPS and FedEx at their own game. There should be a simple way for individuals and businesses to mail packages without having to go to a post office. Plus, residential packages should be delivered at times that are convenient for people. In other words, it's a pain to have to deal with figuring out when a package is coming and trying to have someone there to sign for it, or, if the delivery comes at a time when no one is there, having to then go to the package center, which, more often than not, is located in a well-hidden building in a far corner of town.

That, and find a way to cut down on the lines at post offices. I hate the idea of having to spend most of my lunch hour standing in line for something that can be done at a kiosk, or, if I need to speak with a human, standing in line behind people whose business could be better handled at a kiosk.

AnonMe

@comcastbusiness.net

US Postal Service needs to redefine its purpose

The post office was originally mandated because there was no other way to conduct business, and the US saw it as a necessity for the country to run. That is no longer the case, there are plenty of alternatives. Maybe the post office needs to redefine its role in the USA, or maybe it is a concept that has outlived its usefulness.

Or maybe the Post Office needs to up its rates to something more realistic, and be a self-sustaining organization. How else can you get an original piece of paper from the east coast to the west coast in a couple of days for less than the price of a cup of coffee?

I love the post office: they are cheap for the service they provide, but maybe it should no longer be a government subsided organization!

ekster
Hi there
Premium
join:2010-07-16
Lachine, QC
kudos:3
Reviews:
·FreePhoneLine

A new Tax

The world needs a new tax. Every time a politician, a councilman, a senator, or anyone else in any office opens their mouth with another dumb idea, they get taxed.

The economy, national debts, world hunger, etc. There will be money to fix everything in no time!

NotHereNow

@verizon.net

Wow... Great idea!!!

Not only do we NOT get to pay for all of the junk mail we get, but now... we WILL have to pay for service that the USPS doesn't even provide!!! Woo-hoo!!! (Put this guy in a think-tank!!!)

FTWalker

join:2011-03-10

For this to work...

Then they (our ISPs) would have to give us accurate meters!

cramer
Premium
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
kudos:9

1 recommendation

reply to IowaCowboy

Good luck explaining to your insurance company why the bill was paid a week late... "Mail is only delivered and picked up on Monday's out here."

Different rates based on population density will never sit well with people. Enough people already avoid the USPS and their ever expanding fees, they don't need MORE reasons to avoid them.

Post offices don't have nearly enough space to offer a box to every rural customer. In fact, they've shut down a good number of facilities already. Having a tiny box several miles away from you that needs to be checked at least weekly -- mother****ing junk mail!!! -- is absolutely annoying.

(Used to be, eons ago, one could opt-out of junk mail ["bulk mail"], but the USPS today are such whores for every penny, they won't do that. Oct/Nov/Dec every year, my "PO Box" (pedestal) will overflow in a week -- or faster -- with useless damned sales and fliers. Otherwise, I get a half dozen 1st class, non-bulk, intentionally-sent-to-me things PER MONTH; and none of it needs my attention.)

rradina

Chesterfield, MO

1 recommendation

reply to FFH5

Re: UN has proposed this a few times

I just love the word "fleece". So eloquently stated!

tphillips
Premium
join:2009-02-04
Apopka, FL
reply to FTWalker

Re: For this to work...

Forget $.50 make it a $1.00 and call it a day.
Raise the junk mail rate.
Only deliver mail every other day.
Make the majority of mail carriers part time.
I've been in the post office maybe 10 times in the past 2 years and dont get much mail, only junk.

rradina

Chesterfield, MO
reply to CXM_Splicer

Re: Here's a better way to fix the Post Office...

You mean FedEx and UPS might have bought lobbied Congress? No! Say it isn't so!

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness
reply to SlowFITL

said by SlowFITL:

Democrat

yes because republicans are always full of good ideas.

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

1 recommendation

reply to rradina

Re: 1 cent per gigabyte tax

said by rradina:

Wouldn't that raise the wholesale cost per gigabyte by 1000%?

he said 1 cent per gigabit which would be 8 cents per GB. Which means if one uses their entire 250 GB cap that would be $20 a month tax.

rradina

Chesterfield, MO
reply to IowaCowboy

Now wait a minute. Aren't a lot of folks (not just rural folks) making noise about getting more government subsidies to lay fiber in corn fields -- otherwise poor farmers won't have high-speed Internet? If we're open to charging a fee for them to get postal service, why would we entertain subsidizing fiber for them?

Austinloop

join:2001-08-19
Austin, TX

1 recommendation

reply to N3OGH

Re: Tax man....

Ah, yes, California, the land of fruits and nuts!!!