spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-03-08 14:41:55: A Berkeley city councilman has proposed a tax on e-mail and each bit as a possible way to help shore up the United States Postal Service's dwindling funds. ..

prev page · 1 · 2 · 3 · 4

TelecomEng

@rr.com
reply to skeechan

Re: Here's a better way to fix the Post Office...

said by skeechan:

There is always need for a dying business to pre-fund a bloated and unsustainable pension system particularly when its failure would ultimately end up being made whole by the taxpayers.

The letter carrying side of the business is in decline, but the package side is quite healthy and in recent years has seen a growth trend, so the USPS isn't a "dying business".

The USPS can't be trusted to be responsible.

Based on what facts? Since their pension fund already exceeds projected immediately and medium to long term future needs, you'll have to prove this statement.

nonamesleft

join:2011-11-07
Manitowoc, WI

Tax stupid ideas that come from crapafornia..

Maybe taxing all that stupidity coming out of crapafornia, will cut down on stupidity from there.

VerizonCynic

join:2006-10-25
Lakewood, CA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

tax away

however for those that dont want to pay the tax you just agree not to use the US mail. I can live with that. Do now. Sorry junk mailers you cant reach me any longer. lol All your crap sent to me will be returned to sender. At your cost.

Also I agree raise the fees. First class 1 oz letter should be 2.00. wooohoo. What are all the old people going to do now. I guess use UPS or fed ex
--
Lakewood Accountability Action Group | »www.LAAG.us | Demanding action and accountability from local government

VerizonCynic

join:2006-10-25
Lakewood, CA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to HotRodFoto

Re: Postal service

said by HotRodFoto:

The problem is not the internet or unions, it's politicians who have their hands in the till of the USPS. The undisputed fact is that without Congress’s prefunding requirement, the USPS would have zero debt, billions in spare cash, and a $15 billion line of credit. But when your goal is to shut down post offices, get rid of unions, and slash wages and benefits, you need a better story.

That is exactly what is happening.

Oh and as for the pension funding issue who do you think is going to back stop all those pensions with a business model like the PO? Once the PO ceases in 10 yrs all those 40 year old postal "workers" will be looking for that sweet fat pension for another 40 years with cost of living and free healthcare (no contribution). Ahhh govt unions. Bless their little hearts. So yes I think Congress was smart to get the PO to beef up the contibutions given where the entire PO is headed
--
Lakewood Accountability Action Group | »www.LAAG.us | Demanding action and accountability from local government

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS
reply to TelecomEng

Based on the fact that they can't fund their promises while facing a diminishing business. No one believes that if they don't fully fund now, in 10 years when their business has all but evaporated that they would be able to do a pay-go.

I wouldn't care if taxpayers weren't the ones that will have to bailout the union when they go belly up just as they did the UAW.

The USPS can't be trusted just like GM couldn't be trusted, except taxpayers weren't supposed to be on the hook for billions with GM...billions GM still owes while paying out fat bonuses to the very workers that were the beneficiaries of the bailout. I'm not interested in a repeat with the USPS.

old_wiz_60

join:2005-06-03
Bedford, MA

hmm...

If they could find a way to tax the cretins who mail millions of spam e-mails each day I wouldn't be too upset.

CXM_Splicer
Looking at the bigger picture
Premium
join:2011-08-11
NYC
reply to skeechan

All but evaporated?!? So I presume UPS and FedEx are also going out of business?

There is no one to bail out, they have already pre-funded the benefits of the people they currently have working there. 'Fund their promises'?? I am not sure you understand how the post office works, it is not suppose be a mega-business generating billions in profits every year to go to someone's pocket (although many think it should be). If it were, the cost of a 1st class stamp would be double what it is. They are mandated to be revenue neutral and the price of postage reflects that. The current crisis is suppose to be fixed by Congress raising the rates to bring them back to neutral. So why isn't that happening? The rates are being raised minimally, not enough to correct the problem. That is pretty ironic since once the post office has been destroyed and mail fully privatized, 'first class' postage will be well over a dollar.

Just out of curiosity... when they go 'belly up', what happens to all the money in the pre-funded retirement fund of the people that never got hired (or never reached retirement)? That is going to be in the $10's of billions. Maybe we should just give it to FedEx to compensate them for all the trouble they will have to go through picking up the pieces of our failed government system? I am sure that's what Wall St. would say.

arthur154

@bell.ca

bit tax is about more that the postoffice

for those who want to know more about the rationale for a bit tax please go the website below

»www.arraydev.com/commerce/jibc/9702-05.htm

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-21

Cent now

cent now

more later

tkdslr

join:2004-04-24
Pompano Beach, FL
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Speakeasy
reply to chip89

Re: The post office should cut costs

If you read the article.. It's prefunding of retiree health benefits that's responsible for most of the loss.. to the tune of $11.1 billion..

To me.. it's just another Neocon scam.. to build up another fund, just so they can borrow and spend it..

IanR

join:2001-03-22
Fort Mill, SC

What a fool

..because a Gvt dept can't make money taxes sould pay for it's lack of success. Never mind a serious effort to turn the business around.
Why are so many politicians fools?

dnoyeB
Ferrous Phallus

join:2000-10-09
Southfield, MI
kudos:1
reply to brianiscool

Re: Tax man....

Congress is destroying the post office, not the post office itself. If you give it more money, they will just take more away.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS
reply to HotRodFoto

Re: Postal service

Zero monetary debt today, massive taxpayer bailout tomorrow. No thanks. An unfunded liability is still a liability...better it be on the USPS than the taxpayers.

Raise the stamp price and cut back to MWF delivery if they can't fund their liabilities. USPS letter delivery is inelastic.

zefie

join:2007-07-18
Hudson, NY

Okay..

Let's tax stupidity too.

When that passes we'll re-consider this, though you will find you will have more money than you know what to do with.

elray

join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA

Wrong premise

The USPS doesn't have a revenue problem.

tc1uscg

join:2005-03-09
Saint Clair Shores, MI

Double standard

Don't they do drug tests in congress anymore? How did this guy slip through?

Dru2u

join:2013-03-06
united state
reply to Anon002

Re: Or why not....

I already get enough authorized junk mail from the USPS. I'd like to save my digital life from that if possible.

As soon as you give a party exclusive control over something, you can say bye-bye to your freedom. I'd rather choose who can protect me from spam and malware on my own tyvm.

Probitas

@teksavvy.com
reply to VerizonCynic

Re: tax away

I know some people who take junk mailers, insert other mailers into the return envelopes, then send that back, forcing the junk mailer to pay for returned junk mail. It's a win-win for the consumer there.

zoom314

join:2005-11-21
Yermo, CA
Reviews:
·DSL EXTREME
·Time Warner Cable
reply to zed260

Re: stupid

said by zed260:

taxing email wont save the post office get red of there healthcare mandate for starters

Agreed, then the USPS will be in the BLACK and not in the RED... But of course Repubs would not like that, cause then they couldn't Privatize the USPS and drive rates up through the roof many times over while increasing profits while screwing good postal workers, but then low paid workers like at Walmart equals high employee turnover and a Stupid thoughtless employer...

cork1958
Cork
Premium
join:2000-02-26

Gordon Wozniak

Hasn't that dipstick been trying to come up with other real whacked out ideas before? I know I've heard that name.

There must be a shortage of low quality drugs around, as most of these people are nuttier than a fruit cake!!
--
The Firefox alternative.
»www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/

leews

@attens.net

tax

does this guy even know what a gigabit is?

ill pay a tax on email..... when you can make it so i never recieve one spam email.and if i do recieve a spam email i get 100 dollars for each i recieve.

NOVA_UAV_Guy
Premium
join:2012-12-14
Purcellville, VA
Reviews:
·Comcast

Here's a better idea.

Let the postal service die, along with the rest of the unnecessary dinosaurs.

FedEx can do a better job, and get packages to more places more reliably. So can UPS - although I try not to use them anymore because they contract some deliveries out to the postal service and cannot guarantee me that the USPS won't put their grubby paws on my packages.
--
The only difference between Bush and Obama is the group they're wasting our taxpayer money on. It's time to elect responsible legislators.

NOVA_UAV_Guy
Premium
Purcellville, VA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to MURICA

Re: Reagan was right

Someone here must like to waste money and subsidize useless idiots. The entire postal service should be classified as workfare. (Actually, I've probably seen workfare recipients move faster than some postal employees.)
--
The only difference between Bush and Obama is the group they're wasting our taxpayer money on. It's time to elect responsible legislators.

NOVA_UAV_Guy
Premium
Purcellville, VA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to coldmoon

Re: US Postal Service needs to redefine its purpose

said by coldmoon:

2. The postal service is mandated in the Constitution

Well, the right to bear arms is mandated as part of the Constitution (technically its second amendment), but we certainly don't see the Senate or President respecting that lately.

And freedom of assembly is granted to us by the first amendment, but apparently you don't have such a freedom if the government thinks you might be eating in a restaurant associated with terrorists abroad. Then it's apparently acceptable to use deadly force against you... for your own protection, nonetheless. Were it not for Senator Paul, you might also be a recipient of this "protective action" while dining at your favorite pizza pub here at home. (It does make one wonder who the real terrorists are.)

Given the above, it would be no surprise to me if the current administration or Congress decided to ignore Constitutional provisions about the postal service.
--

NOVA_UAV_Guy
Premium
Purcellville, VA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to ISurfTooMuch

Re: The post office should cut costs

said by ISurfTooMuch:

As for UPS and FedEx not delivering at convenient times, no, they don't. That's something that, if the USPS did it, would be better than these services.

One major difference between FedEx/UPS and the USPS here... When leaving packages when inclement weather is expected, FedEx and UPS will put your packages in a plastic bag to ensure they're not soaking wet by the time you get them.

The USPS can't be "bothered" to do "fancy" things like this (i.e. the postal carrier is too lazy) - hence a number of times I've returned home from work at the end of the day to have packages ruined. One time I had the package shipped via UPS, and they handed off to USPS which treated the package like garbage - I was shocked. When asked, UPS told me they couldn't guarantee that the USPS wouldn't handle my packages shipped through them - hence why I will not use UPS anymore either.
--

coldmoon
Premium
join:2002-02-04
Broadway, NC
Reviews:
·Windstream
reply to NOVA_UAV_Guy

Re: US Postal Service needs to redefine its purpose

quote:
...Well, the right to bear arms is mandated as part of the Constitution (technically its second amendment), but we certainly don't see the Senate or President respecting that lately. ...
Really? You may want to brush up on recent SCOTUS decisions and then think about that a bit more...

quote:
...And freedom of assembly is granted to us by the first amendment, but apparently you don't have such a freedom if the government thinks you might be eating in a restaurant associated with terrorists abroad. ...
Not that the abuse of the powers the Congress gave up to the Executive are not an issue that needs to be discussed and fixed ASAP; what does that have to do with the Post Office?

quote:
...Were it not for Senator Paul, you might also be a recipient of this "protective action" while dining at your favorite pizza pub here at home. (It does make one wonder who the real terrorists are.)...
Sen. Paul got kudos from both sides of the isle and for good reason and he deserves that praise. It still however has nothing to do with the Post Office...

quote:
...Given the above, it would be no surprise to me if the current administration or Congress decided to ignore Constitutional provisions about the postal service.
And give up the opportunity to pass "bipartisan" post office naming bills? You give Congress as a whole too much credit for intelligent thought...

JMHO
--
Returnil - 21st Century body armor for your PC

The Antihero

join:2002-04-09
Enola, PA
reply to djnrg787

Re: LOL

Gotta love it when one of these 12 o'clock flashers tries to get involved with techical stuff.

Alltel

@charter.com

What else I think is messed up

They call the the land of the free, but there is not one thing in america thats free. And if there was the government would find away to tax it just so it was'nt free