dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-03-08 14:41:55: A Berkeley city councilman has proposed a tax on e-mail and each bit as a possible way to help shore up the United States Postal Service's dwindling funds. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · next

N3OGH
Yo Soy Col. "Bat" Guano
Premium Member
join:2003-11-11
Philly burbs

6 recommendations

N3OGH

Premium Member

Tax man....

If you send email, he'll tax the bits,
If download tunes, he'll tax the hits.
If you stream online, he'll tax Netflix,
If you watch Pr0n, he'll tax those pix.

'Cause he's the TAX MAN!
brianiscool
join:2000-08-16
Tampa, FL

1 recommendation

brianiscool

Re: Tax man....

Taxing the internet will just damage the economy. In no way will this save the post office. People can just host their own e-mail services or do it outside the country. I find this idea flawed and will not work at all.

dnoyeB
Ferrous Phallus
join:2000-10-09
Southfield, MI

dnoyeB

Congress is destroying the post office, not the post office itself. If you give it more money, they will just take more away.
Austinloop
join:2001-08-19
Austin, TX

1 recommendation

Austinloop to N3OGH

to N3OGH
Ah, yes, California, the land of fruits and nuts!!!

workablob
join:2004-06-09
Houston, TX

2 recommendations

workablob to N3OGH

to N3OGH
said by N3OGH:

'Cause he's the TAX MAN!

If you watch Pr0n, he'll tax those TITS.

There, I fixed it for you.

Dave

N3OGH
Yo Soy Col. "Bat" Guano
Premium Member
join:2003-11-11
Philly burbs

N3OGH

Premium Member

LOL, AWESOME!

I love it...

impressed
@rr.com

impressed to N3OGH

Anon

to N3OGH
That is CLEVER!!! Love it!!

Tower
@cox.net

Tower to N3OGH

Anon

to N3OGH
said by N3OGH:

'Cause he's the TAX MAN!

i agree with this tax !!!!
rradina
join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO

rradina

1 cent per gigabyte tax

Wouldn't that raise the wholesale cost per gigabyte by 1000%?
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

1 recommendation

88615298 (banned)

Re: 1 cent per gigabyte tax

said by rradina:

Wouldn't that raise the wholesale cost per gigabyte by 1000%?

he said 1 cent per gigabit which would be 8 cents per GB. Which means if one uses their entire 250 GB cap that would be $20 a month tax.
rradina
Chesterfield, MO

rradina

Re: 1 cent per gigabyte tax

Ah...missed that it was bit not byte. That's crazy.
djnrg787
join:2009-06-10
Saint Louis, MO

1 recommendation

djnrg787

LOL

Go back to bed old man nobody wants to hear your tax talk, its more complicated then that how do you tax international traffic, across state lines traffic someone stuff a sock in this guys mouth.
The Antihero
join:2002-04-09
Enola, PA

The Antihero

Re: LOL

Gotta love it when one of these 12 o'clock flashers tries to get involved with techical stuff.

Anon002
@cox.net

Anon002

Anon

Or why not....

Try making a government run email service as part of the Postal Service, and then charge yearly fees for that. Run spam protection on it (by simply disallowing outside email sources to deliver to it). Internal virus protection, kiosks in the postal centers to check it, etc etc.

I mean if we the Taxpayer are supposedly funding it, then let it do more than it does now and stop leaving it mired in ancient technology.

SMTP STILL SUCKS, and the moment someone does something better this "bill" would become superfluous..fuck its already superfluous in the face of Facebook, Skype and the other ways to "electronically communicate" while offline or online.
Dru2u
join:2013-03-06
united state

Dru2u

Re: Or why not....

I already get enough authorized junk mail from the USPS. I'd like to save my digital life from that if possible.

As soon as you give a party exclusive control over something, you can say bye-bye to your freedom. I'd rather choose who can protect me from spam and malware on my own tyvm.

morbo
Complete Your Transaction
join:2002-01-22

morbo

7 day a week package delivery

If we want to save the USPS, the way to do it is to put a higher emphasis on package delivery. Instead of cutting service from 6 days to 5, have daily package delivery (holidays too) at an appropriate price.

antonio010
join:2002-11-24

antonio010

Re: 7 day a week package delivery

USPS already offers this service. You can have an Express Mail package delivered on Sundays and holiday's for an additional fee.

coldmoon
Premium Member
join:2002-02-04
Fulton, NY

1 recommendation

coldmoon to morbo

Premium Member

to morbo
said by morbo:

If we want to save the USPS, the way to do it is to put a higher emphasis on package delivery. Instead of cutting service from 6 days to 5, have daily package delivery (holidays too) at an appropriate price.

The way to save the USPS is to allow it to compete and stop the BS of having to pre-fund their retirement accounts for 75 years. There is no company that has to do this and there is no reason the USPS should either.

The next step after that is to put into place law that would not allow the Congress to steal money from the USPS coffers that has nothing to do with taxes...

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

1 recommendation

skeechan to morbo

Premium Member

to morbo
The problem with USPS delivery is no one is interested in "It'll get there when it gets there" service or their horrible lack of reliable tracking. In my small business I tried to use the flat rate box service and it took 10 weeks to deliver a 30LB box from SoCal to Texas. How do you lose a 30LB priority mail box? Despite tracking and signature required, it never showed up on tracking and I never got proof of delivery. I only knew it got there when my customer finally let me know.

That was the last time I will ever consider the USPS for any shipping needs.

coldmoon
Premium Member
join:2002-02-04
Fulton, NY

coldmoon

Premium Member

said by skeechan:

The problem with USPS delivery is no one is interested in "It'll get there when it gets there" service or their horrible lack of reliable tracking. In my small business I tried to use the flat rate box service and it took 10 weeks to deliver a 30LB box from SoCal to Texas. How do you lose a 30LB priority mail box? Despite tracking and signature required, it never showed up on tracking and I never got proof of delivery. I only knew it got there when my customer finally let me know.

That was the last time I will ever consider the USPS for any shipping needs.

You do realize that UPS and FedEx use the USPS for package deliveries in undeserved/remote areas because it is too expensive for them to do that themselves?

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
AA169|170

skeechan

Premium Member

Services like UPS Mail Innovations are for bulk shippers that don't care when their stuff gets to where it is supposed to get to and UPS/Fedex do all the work of sorting and transport until the last mile. In exchange they get a cheaper rate. It has nothing to do with remote areas. UPS would still deliver there, just not with the UPS Mail Innovations level of "It'll get there whenever" service. I have received stuff shipped via Mail Innovations and I'm certainly not in a remote area.

Those partnerships aren't about UPS or Fedex not delivering to every zip code, but a slower and cheaper service than UPS or Fedex Ground...a service for bulk shippers like those of catalogs.

Even then it is completely irrelevant. I was shipping a priority mail parcel to Waco, TX and it took 10 weeks. I don't care what planet yer on, that is insane. The USPS can't be trusted with time critical anything.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

2 recommendations

FFH5

Premium Member

UN has proposed this a few times

This idiotic idea is not new. The UN has suggested something be done on an international scale a few times. It is nothing but grasping politicians trying to find just one more way to fleece the people out of their money. And it would start VERY low price to start, but year by year the rates would go up.
rradina
Chesterfield, MO

1 recommendation

rradina

Re: UN has proposed this a few times

I just love the word "fleece". So eloquently stated!
zed260
Premium Member
join:2011-11-11
Cleveland, TN

zed260

Premium Member

stupid

taxing email wont save the post office get red of there healthcare mandate for starters

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
AA169|170

skeechan

Premium Member

Re: stupid

Get rid of the postal workers union for starters. Then deliver MTTh only with part time labor.

zoom314
join:2005-11-21
Yermo, CA

zoom314 to zed260

to zed260
said by zed260:

taxing email wont save the post office get red of there healthcare mandate for starters

Agreed, then the USPS will be in the BLACK and not in the RED... But of course Repubs would not like that, cause then they couldn't Privatize the USPS and drive rates up through the roof many times over while increasing profits while screwing good postal workers, but then low paid workers like at Walmart equals high employee turnover and a Stupid thoughtless employer...

TelecomEng
@cisco.com

TelecomEng

Anon

Here's a better way to fix the Post Office...

Repeal the Postal Accountability and Enhancement Act of 2006 that forces the USPS to fund 75 years of pension costs in the span of nine, you read that right, years.
CXM_Splicer
Looking at the bigger picture
Premium Member
join:2011-08-11
NYC

2 recommendations

CXM_Splicer

Premium Member

Re: Here's a better way to fix the Post Office...

^^^^ THIS ^^^^

Is 100% correct. The current Postal Service problems are caused by a stupid decision that needs to be repealed. No where else does such a requirement exist. It is nothing but the deliberate destruction of the Post Office by congress-critters who will most likely profit directly from its demise.

Where is the bill to require UPS & FedEx to fund their pensions for the next 75 years?

»www.huffingtonpost.com/2 ··· 211.html
rradina
Chesterfield, MO

rradina

You mean FedEx and UPS might have bought lobbied Congress? No! Say it isn't so!

David
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL

David

Premium Member

said by rradina:

You mean FedEx and UPS might have bought lobbied Congress? No! Say it isn't so!

Actually supposedly it was. They couldn't compete on postal price so they lobbied and got that. Essentially from what I read, it was set to bleed the postal system dry, thus everyone would have to use fedex, ups or another carrier for postal mail. Then they could just compete to death, winner takes all!

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
AA169|170

skeechan to TelecomEng

Premium Member

to TelecomEng
No way because then they won't be saving the money they owe and they'll accumulate MASSIVE unfunded liabilities which the taxpayers will end up bailing out...just like the rest of the bankrupt government does, now close to $80 trillion in unfunded liabilities.

If they can't pre-fund their promises they shouldn't be promising.

••••••
andre2
join:2005-08-24
Brookline, MA

andre2 to TelecomEng

to TelecomEng
There is no such requirement. The correct number is 50 years. (But that doesn't work as well with the "forced to fund workers who haven't even been born yet" catchphrase.)

»washingtonexaminer.com/u ··· /2521473

Also, regarding the notion that the PAEA is an evil Republican plot shoved down the USPS's throat, note the following page

»www.nalc.org/postal/refo ··· 006.html

from the NALC, one of the major postal unions, showing that everyone involved (both major parties, postal management, AND postal unions) were enthusiastic about PAEA at the time. It was only after the recession struck and mail volume started plummeting that the "evil plot" meme started circulating. Unless the recession itself was part of the plot, but considering it was on Bush's watch, and helped Obama win the 2008 election, that's farfetched.

•••

Gilitar
join:2012-02-01
Mobile, AL

Gilitar

Gotta be a

Democrat

••••

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
·Comcast XFINITY

1 recommendation

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

The post office should cut costs

The post office could cut costs by delivering weekdays in urban areas and twice or three times a week to rural areas.

They could also charge higher postage for delivery to rural areas or require rural residents pay a monthly fee to receive mail but could get a PO Box free of charge.

I have a PO Box because there are certain individuals/companies I don't want them to have my home address.

A PO Box is the old fashioned way of hiding behind a screen name.

•••••••••••••••••

Mike
Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA

Mike

Mod

Help the Post Office?

Tax email?

Let them raise the cost of a stamp to 50 cents.

Done.

AnonMe
@comcastbusiness.net

AnonMe

Anon

US Postal Service needs to redefine its purpose

The post office was originally mandated because there was no other way to conduct business, and the US saw it as a necessity for the country to run. That is no longer the case, there are plenty of alternatives. Maybe the post office needs to redefine its role in the USA, or maybe it is a concept that has outlived its usefulness.

Or maybe the Post Office needs to up its rates to something more realistic, and be a self-sustaining organization. How else can you get an original piece of paper from the east coast to the west coast in a couple of days for less than the price of a cup of coffee?

I love the post office: they are cheap for the service they provide, but maybe it should no longer be a government subsided organization!

•••

ekster
Hi there
Premium Member
join:2010-07-16
Sainte-Anne-De-Bellevue, QC

ekster

Premium Member

A new Tax

The world needs a new tax. Every time a politician, a councilman, a senator, or anyone else in any office opens their mouth with another dumb idea, they get taxed.

The economy, national debts, world hunger, etc. There will be money to fix everything in no time!

NotHereNow
@verizon.net

NotHereNow

Anon

Wow... Great idea!!!

Not only do we NOT get to pay for all of the junk mail we get, but now... we WILL have to pay for service that the USPS doesn't even provide!!! Woo-hoo!!! (Put this guy in a think-tank!!!)
FTWalker
join:2011-03-10

FTWalker

For this to work...

Then they (our ISPs) would have to give us accurate meters!

tphillips
Premium Member
join:2009-02-04
Apopka, FL

tphillips

Premium Member

Re: For this to work...

Forget $.50 make it a $1.00 and call it a day.
Raise the junk mail rate.
Only deliver mail every other day.
Make the majority of mail carriers part time.
I've been in the post office maybe 10 times in the past 2 years and dont get much mail, only junk.
funny_one
Previously known as 'Deadpool'
join:2010-11-01

funny_one

It's illegal anyway...

So it's all a moot point...

»www.webpronews.com/senat ··· -2013-01
elefante72
join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY

1 recommendation

elefante72

Do what regular companies do

Go out of business. Your business model, fails, you go away. Goodnight. That will solve the pension issue.

I don't understand why the government needs to prop up failing businesses, even if at one time they were relevant and created by them.

I guarantee you that it would cost less to send a package if USPS went away. It would also free up my post box from 90% of the spam mail I get today. People would find innovative ways to get rid of physical mail delivery, and it would actually make things better not worse, and for those tree huggers and leftists, less polluting.
hrz
join:2007-12-01
Utica, MI

hrz

We have it too good.

Canada Post, 2013 Rates.
"Domestic 1st Class"

0-30g $0.63
30-50g $1.10
50-100g $1.34

An oz is approx. 28 1/3 grams.
CAD and USD are at near-parity.
Canada is a larger land mass;
Canada is approx 34.5 million folks.

USPS rates are far too LOW.
Any questions ?
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned)

Re: We have it too good.

Canada is slightly larger than the US but the fact is most of the people in Canada live in the bottom 3rd. I do agree the postal rates in the US are too low. If you raise the price of first class stamp from 46 cents to 60 cents you eliminate most of the problem.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
AA169|170

1 recommendation

skeechan

Premium Member

Reagan was right

“Government’s view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases:

If it moves, tax it. --email
If it keeps moving, regulate it.
And if it stops moving, subsidize it.” --USPS

-Ronald Reagan

•••

humanfilth
join:2013-02-14
river styx

humanfilth

ah the postal service

One quick way to save money is to 100% drop Saturday deliveries.
the current plan is to drop only letters, but not packages, which will still result in potentially 100% of the delivery force coming in to deliver 1 package per route on Saturday. Minimum hours to pay those workers are for 4 hours, regardless if only one hour worked.

cost saving to only deliver packages? $2 billion. billion$ more would be saved by cutting all saturday delivery.

The teabag approved NSA can just count all the emails flowing through its snooping center, for the taxation numbers.

JigglyWiggly
join:2009-07-12
Pleasanton, CA

JigglyWiggly

Re: ah the postal service

why is usps doing poorly? I buy like 50 packages per day from amazon
page: 1 · 2 · 3 · next