dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-03-12 08:51:56: Back in April of 2010, Google was busted using their Google Street View cars to collect Wi-Fi data from areas they passed through. ..

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium Member
join:2005-03-19
Mullica Hill, NJ

ArrayList

Premium Member

sad

it's sad that something this silly can generate a lawsuit.

StuartMW
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06

StuartMW

Premium Member

The gummint is a bigger problem

I'm from the gummint and I'm here to help collect your data. One can choose to use Google services or not (and use the Google Sharing add-on with their search engine). No such luck with the NSA/FBI/CIA/DHS/etc.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5 to ArrayList

Premium Member

to ArrayList

Re: sad

said by ArrayList:

it's sad that something this silly can generate a lawsuit.

And that the 30 states involved more than likely wasted more than $7 million of taxpayer money over this idiotic lawsuit.

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium Member
Mullica Hill, NJ

ArrayList to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW

Re: The gummint is a bigger problem

you can use TOR for all of your traffic. The gummit won't get your information near as easily then.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to ArrayList

Premium Member

to ArrayList

what is really scary too is that the government wanted to see the data. Rather than simply telling Google to delete it and provide proof to a court officer.

It is pretty clear they wanted data for their storehouse that will open in Utah.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium Member
join:2000-08-05
united state

Snakeoil

Premium Member

Google gets spanked and the NSA keeps snooping.

A shame Google got smacked. I wish all those people involved in going after Google for 7 million, would go after the NSA instead. What the NSA is doing is a real invasion of our privacy, but no one seems to be bothered about it.

Cthen
Premium Member
join:2004-08-01
Detroit, MI

Cthen

Premium Member

Next time

Next time you make a mistake, keep your mouth shut. The ol' saying "Honesty pays" does not mean squat anymore.

ArbyArb
@sbcglobal.net

ArbyArb to Snakeoil

Anon

to Snakeoil

Re: Google gets spanked and the NSA keeps snooping.

said by Snakeoil:

A shame Google got smacked. I wish all those people involved in going after Google for 7 million, would go after the NSA instead. What the NSA is doing is a real invasion of our privacy, but no one seems to be bothered about it.

Google is the NSA

»www.wired.com/threatleve ··· -upheld/

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

AVD to Cthen

Premium Member

to Cthen

Re: Next time

7 million is chump change for google.

MooJohn
join:2005-12-18
Milledgeville, GA

MooJohn

Ridiculous in the first place

I thought it was a long-established precedent that anything broadcast over public airwaves is fair game for anyone else to listen in as they wish. If Google was cracking their encryption that would be one thing but just to catalog the names of networks in range and grab some of the packets is hardly "hacking" or "snooping."

It's like accusing someone of recording what you say over a CB radio. If you put something over public (unlicensed) radio frequencies you can't get mad when someone else hears it.
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT
·Frontier FiberOp..
Asus RT-AC68

BiggA to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5

Yeah. And that's it's even illegal to passively collect something that someone else broadcast with no encryption. It's a severe violation of common sense that there's a darn thing illegal about this. Maybe creepy, but it shouldn't be illegal. If you want to protect your stuff, encrypt it. If you don't encrypt it, you have forfeited your right to care who sees it unless you have an AP several hundred yards from any edge of your property.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to Snakeoil

Premium Member

to Snakeoil

Re: Google gets spanked and the NSA keeps snooping.

I get the Feeling that Google really had no choice. If the NSA says play ball and you say no they can start making things very hard. Such as getting audited by the IRS every year instead of random chance audits.
Kearnstd

Kearnstd to MooJohn

Premium Member

to MooJohn

Re: Ridiculous in the first place

Even over licensed frequencies, if it is not encrypted you cannot consider it protected from being recorded. Many websites for example retransmit airport tower chatter over the internet.

SimbaSeven
I Void Warranties
join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT

SimbaSeven to ArrayList

to ArrayList

Re: The gummint is a bigger problem

..unless they can gain access to the exit nodes.

meeeeeeeeee
join:2003-07-13
Newburgh, NY

meeeeeeeeee to ArrayList

to ArrayList
said by ArrayList:

you can use TOR for all of your traffic. The gummit won't get your information near as easily then.

And who financed the vast majority of TOR? Are you SURE there aren't any backdoors?

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium Member
Mullica Hill, NJ

ArrayList

Premium Member

the code is open sourced. go have a look

meeeeeeeeee
join:2003-07-13
Newburgh, NY

meeeeeeeeee

said by ArrayList:

the code is open sourced. go have a look

As soon as I get a few extra years of spare time.