spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-03-14 12:34:08: Video on demand at this point only accounts for just 1% of all video viewing, and even in that slice, phone companies are doing better at selling VOD than cable. Hoping to reverse this trend, Comcast is going to try something a little bit different. ..

RWSI

join:2012-11-27
Albuquerque, NM

Apples and oranges

Who cares? I do VOD and so called watchathon with the massive DVD collection I have.

DaSneaky1D
what's up
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-29
The Lou

Translation...

"We need to justify the cost of providing this service. Heavily promote the use of VOD and see if the service takes off!"

moonpuppy

join:2000-08-21
Glen Burnie, MD

At $3.99 to $4.99 a movie, I'll stick with RedBox and the wait.

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Comcast

Well while it's free it's going to get a lot of use, but at those prices, unless you had just missed an episode or two OR were under house arrest I can't see any regular usage for TV series and GOOD movies seem to be 3-4 times that price so a rental or a month of Netflix per movie or amazon or iTunes or just buying the disk make more sense.
Pay per view COULD work at a much, much lower price point

barn25

join:2005-11-17
Springfield, IL

Please....

A watchathon? With the way they put ads in pretty much EVERY VOD stream i dont use it. It is a lot easier to download it using my sprint LTE and then watch it from my Blu-ray player.

moonpuppy

join:2000-08-21
Glen Burnie, MD
reply to tshirt

Re: Translation...

Free means that everyone is going to look at it and most will stop when they see how much it really costs.

You are right. At a MUCH lower price point, it might be worth it but we know how that song plays.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviews:
·ooma
·Comcast
·Callcentric
·Site5.com
reply to moonpuppy

said by moonpuppy:

Just for clarification, part of the VOD service is if you subscribe to the channel, you get the VOD service. So, for instance, if you have at least the starter package, you can stream all the VOD off of NBC, ABC, and so on. If you subscribe to Showtime, you can stream all the showtime channels.

By offering this for free, its really a benefit to those who have Comcast cable and who don't subscribe to the premium channels already.
--
My domain - Nightfall.net

aaronwt
Premium
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA

said by Nightfall:

said by moonpuppy:

Just for clarification, part of the VOD service is if you subscribe to the channel, you get the VOD service. So, for instance, if you have at least the starter package, you can stream all the VOD off of NBC, ABC, and so on. If you subscribe to Showtime, you can stream all the showtime channels.

By offering this for free, its really a benefit to those who have Comcast cable and who don't subscribe to the premium channels already.

But is all that content in 5.1 audio like the original broadcast? I know it didn't used to be.

tpkatl

join:2009-11-16
Dacula, GA

1 recommendation

Can VOD be recorded and played back in the Comcast DVR?

If not, this is worthless to me.

Morac
Cat god

join:2001-08-30
Riverside, NJ
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to aaronwt

said by aaronwt:

But is all that content in 5.1 audio like the original broadcast? I know it didn't used to be.

From what I've seen yes it is. Maybe not all, but the shows I've played were.

It's kind of odd though as the program is usually in 5.1, but the ads or "pre-program" stuff is in stereo.
--
Get the DSLR Firefox Extension.
The Comcast Disney Avatar has been retired.

bobjohnson
Premium
join:2007-02-03
Orlando, FL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·T-Mobile US
·Sprint Mobile Br..
reply to tpkatl

Re: Can VOD be recorded and played back in the Comcast DVR?

said by tpkatl:

Why would you need to record it? Record the original show and you don't need VOD. Its good for those of us who are too cheap to pay for a DVR.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviews:
·ooma
·Comcast
·Callcentric
·Site5.com
reply to aaronwt

said by aaronwt:

said by Nightfall:

said by moonpuppy:

My parents have this service and yes it is.
--
My domain - Nightfall.net

badtrip
I heart the East Bay
Premium
join:2004-03-20
Albany, CA
reply to RWSI

Re: Apples and oranges

Me too, Netflix, PBS.org and astraweb...

flwpwr

@comcast.net
reply to tpkatl

said by tpkatl:

Why would you need RECORD an ONDEMAND product? It's not like you need to watch it at a different time....

Scatcatpdx
Fur It Up

join:2007-06-22
Portland, OR

He comcast fdo the math.

I pay $7.00 a month for Netflix streaming but Comcast wants me to pay $29.00 to 69.00 extra for cable so I can get VOD. Sorry think again Comcast.

gar187er
I do this for a living

join:2006-06-24
Dover, DE
reply to barn25

Re: Please....

blame the networks. they control the content, comcast just delivers it.
--
I'm better than you!

gar187er
I do this for a living

Dover, DE
reply to tpkatl

this post is worthless, do you understand how this works?
--
I'm better than you!

gar187er
I do this for a living

Dover, DE
reply to aaronwt

some is, some isnt. it seems to depend on the network that is offering it. i know game of thrones last year wasnt 5.1 ondemand, so i had to DVR it.
--
I'm better than you!

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
kudos:3

Good idea, but navigation needs improvement

It's a good idea to give people a taste of all the premium shows. It could result at least in up-selling of HBO, Showtime, Cinemax or Starz.

However the cable guides are so last decade, back when VOD wasn't available. Its hard to navigate a spaghetti mess of bland menus to find anything. Who knows whats out there because its presented in such a boring, poor and cluttered manor.

I know when DirecTV released their HDUI, at an investor day presentation they stated PPV/VOD sales went UP because of the poster art and high resolution graphics.

Make it look pretty and make content identifiable by its poster art. You go to a redbox or a bookstore or whatever, you browse books or movies by looking at the cover. Something looks interesting you start reading the description on it and may find what you like. A lot of marketing goes into cover art for books and movies. Makes sense to update the UI on these providers as well as providing fast google like search capabilities. You should be able to search by actor, genre, keywords or titles. It should be smart enough to recognize the type of search. Like if you type "Kevin Bacon", a list of his movies should show up.

Also maybe offer a streaming package like Netflix. Say for an additional $x a month, you can watch up to 10 new movies per month. If you don't get to all 10, the MSO makes out. If you watch all 10, then you saved over the $4.99 or whatever per movie you would of paid individually.

Also don't charge more for HD VOD. I've already seen some new movies cost $3.99 for SD but $5.99 for the HD version (Blue Ridge Cable). It should automatically just play the HD version at the same cost if its running on an HD box. And HD boxes can downconvert to SD anyway if needed. At least you get a less compressed, better picture and sound off the HD stream.

tpkatl

Dacula, GA
reply to gar187er

VOD is not forever. Choices tend to go away after a while.

tpkatl

Dacula, GA
reply to gar187er

VOD is not forever. Choices tend to go away after a while.

Topevoli

@comcastbusiness.net
reply to gar187er

Re: Please....

Well its a good thing Comcast doesn't own any Network conglomerates then right?

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

Too bad it wasn't this week

I could use all the entertainment right now as I have been spending most of the time sick in bed. I have a TV right next to the head of my bed and I've been watching a combination of Weather Channel, Fox News, and listening to Music Choice.

I currently am taking antibiotics for an ear infection and I hear news reports about overuse of antibiotics.

Morac
Cat god

join:2001-08-30
Riverside, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to gar187er

said by gar187er:

some is, some isnt. it seems to depend on the network that is offering it. i know game of thrones last year wasnt 5.1 ondemand, so i had to DVR it.

It was in 5.1 for me.

When starting playback with the "previews" it starts in 2.0, but once the title screen for GOT came up and the opening music started it switched to 5.1.
--
Get the DSLR Firefox Extension.
The Comcast Disney Avatar has been retired.

chip89
Premium
join:2012-07-05
Independence, OH
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to cypherstream

Re: Good idea, but navigation needs improvement

Even my kindle fire Hd has the covers for the moves, tv shows, books and apps that are on it or that is in the kindle store. The old kindles had everything in a boring set of menus and lists like the cable guides. The kindle fire is like the dirctv Guide. The kindle fire also looks a lot better than the old kindles because of the new GUI.