spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-03-14 14:07:40: Red Box and Verizon today announced that their creatively-titled streaming service Redbox Instant by Verizon has exited beta and is now available to all users. ..

page: 1 · 2
jcondon

join:2000-05-27
Fishkill, NY

no XBox360 app still.

Still no XBox360 app? Great launch.

I was picked to be a beta tester (not a big deal you just email them). But there was no app for any device I have connected to a TV so I never bothered.

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

Re: no XBox360 app still.

said by jcondon:

Still no XBox360 app? Great launch.

I was picked to be a beta tester (not a big deal you just email them). But there was no app for any device I have connected to a TV so I never bothered.

The web site says they support Xbox 360.
»redboxinstant.custhelp.com/app/a···a_id/582
--
Senate - get off your butts and actually create a budget that has spending cuts 3x the amount of tax increases like you promised.
Chuck_IV

join:2003-11-18
Connecticut
There is an XBox app. It just may not have been put in the app section yet. You can side load it using a USB drive. Google it, it's out there.

I have been using it with my beta account. The app works fine, the service, not so much. Their lack of content is gonna bite them really fast. Plus I had some issues with their streams at times.

The 4 free redbox rentals is nice tho.

FFH
Premium
Tavistock NJ

1 edit

They have a free 1 month trial

If you want to try it out, they have a free 1 month trial. There is an iOS app. The question is will you be able to use the Airplay option to show on your TV?
Reviews on iTunes App Store says AirPlay only does voice, no video. But one review says Mirroring will work - which if true and you have an iDevice and Apple TV at latest hardware and firmware levels that support mirroring, means you could send to TV.

--
Senate - get off your butts and actually create a budget that has spending cuts 3x the amount of tax increases like you promised.

FFH
Premium
Tavistock NJ

Windows PC need Silverlight installed

The Verizon service needs Silverlight installed on Windows PCs to work.

beck
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-29
On The Road
kudos:1

might be worth it

since you get 4 rentals included with the price.
Would have to see if they have what I want to watch. Been a couple years since I had netflix now, so don't know how they compare really.

IllIlIlllIll
EliteData
Premium
join:2003-07-06
Hampton Bays, NY
kudos:7

streaming

the content available for streaming (subscription) isnt that great right now.
hopefully it gets better in time.
i do like the app for the xbox though it would be nice to see one developed for the ps3.
one really nice feature with the xbox app is the ability to change the display option as native, fullscreen, stretch or zoom.
this is a plus in my book for 4:3 letterboxed movies, where i can fit the letterbox to the screen (zoom).
--
Suffolk County NY Police Feed - »www.scpdny.com
PS3 Gaming Feed - »www.livestream.com/elitedata

Eddy120876

join:2009-02-16
Bronx, NY

Re: streaming

That is the issue. Netflix could be a 100 better had the content provider stop with the insane time blockers the put on new releases. I do understand that you wish to sell the DVD and blue Rays but come on 2 to 4 years after the DVD and BD why aren't those movies on Netflix jeez. I do hope that Red Box don't run into this issue if not it would be the same issues i just pointed out with Netflix

aaronwt
Premium
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA

said by Eddy120876:

That is the issue. Netflix could be a 100 better had the content provider stop with the insane time blockers the put on new releases. I do understand that you wish to sell the DVD and blue Rays but come on 2 to 4 years after the DVD and BD why aren't those movies on Netflix jeez. I do hope that Red Box don't run into this issue if not it would be the same issues i just pointed out with Netflix

RedBox has the same 28 day delays from certain studios just like Netflix.

Eddy120876

Bronx, NY

that the issue I have with the steaming service great movie but 28 days is not bad. Some movies take for years or are not available for streaming

cableties
Premium
join:2005-01-27

Simple: it is all about contracts, studios and lawyers (representing talent, other).
--
Splat

Eddy120876

Bronx, NY

and you are right bud. The bad thing is that they never learn. you want fans to keep your customer happy then sell the deal give then a window of time and then move on to streaming where you earn money compare to pirated content.

tc1uscg

join:2005-03-09
Saint Clair Shores, MI
Agree. I signed up for the Beta but between Amazon Prime, Hulu Plus and Netflix and Dish Anywhere not to mention crackle, why bother with Redbox. You can find codes to get a 2 or 3 free rentals but having a roku and all the above (except Redbox) gives me all the movies I could want. Not to mention Vudu and Google Play.
stanleycr1

join:2008-12-02
Ivor, VA

what about Verizon LTE?

Will this count against the LTE CAPS?
Expand your moderator at work
CXM_Splicer
Looking at the bigger picture
Premium
join:2011-08-11
NYC
kudos:2

Re: what about Verizon LTE?

That was my question too. Is this even available via wireless or is it only streamed to PCs? They certainly haven't been telling the employees about it.
dagg

join:2001-03-25
Galt, CA

their FAQ says its available over 3g/4g so... yes it should be available over wireless?

FFH
Premium
Tavistock NJ

said by dagg:

their FAQ says its available over 3g/4g so... yes it should be available over wireless?

They have iPhone and Android apps, so I assume it would work over the cellphone networks. The issue would be you would burn thru the caps in no time at all.
--
CXM_Splicer
Premium
NYC

Yes but if they offer Redbox uncapped while holding Netflix users to caps I could see that causing some resentment. Not that watching TV on a phone is a great experience to begin with, but on a tablet it is do-able.

tim_k
Buttons, Bows, Beamer, Shadow, Kasey
Premium,VIP
join:2002-02-02
Stewartstown, PA
kudos:37

said by CXM_Splicer:

Yes but if they offer Redbox uncapped while holding Netflix users to caps I could see that causing some resentment. Not that watching TV on a phone is a great experience to begin with, but on a tablet it is do-able.

That might also get them sued for anticompetition or get things rolling with net neutrality.
--
RIP my babies Buttons 1/15/94-2/9/07, Beamer 7/24/08, & Bows 12/17/94-10/11/09

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness
said by stanleycr1:

Will this count against the LTE CAPS?

of course.
nfotiu

join:2009-01-25

I tried it out as beta

Lame. Interface is clunky compared to Netflix, uses Silverlight, so no dice on Chromebooks, Selection is a subset of Netflix. I'd be tempted if they offered things that Netflix doesn't have to augment a Netflix subscription. But a crappier version of Netflix at the same price, what's the point?

newview
Ex .. Ex .. Exactly
Premium
join:2001-10-01
Parsonsburg, MD
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·Comcast

The fine print ...

quote:
* One month free trial offer for new subscribers only. You can cancel any time during the 1-month trial to avoid charges. If you like our service and don't cancel during the trial period, your subscription will continue automatically at the then-current monthly subscription rate.
Uh ... no thanks ... I've been burned by this before with other "free trials" through absolutely no fault of my own, cancelling well in advance of the end of the 30 days and for one reason or another I was charged a monthly fee. Getting a refund is damn near impossible.
Chuck_IV

Connecticut

Re: The fine print ...

Simply dispute the charge with your bank.

unknvoip
RIP goose
Premium
join:2006-07-25
Rochester, NY
Reviews:
·ViaTalk

Almost unwatchable

I signed up for the 30day trial over the weekend. It buffers so much that movies are almost unwatchable. This is not just a peak times, so I am not sure what the problem is - my internet speed is 15/1 and seems fine. This is watching with the Redbox Instant app on my Samsung TV with freshly updated firmware.

That coupled with the meager streaming selection means that day 28 will be when I log in and cancel unless something changes fast.

IllIlIlllIll
EliteData
Premium
Hampton Bays, NY

Re: Almost unwatchable

said by unknvoip:

I signed up for the 30day trial over the weekend. It buffers so much that movies are almost unwatchable. This is not just a peak times, so I am not sure what the problem is - my internet speed is 15/1 and seems fine. This is watching with the Redbox Instant app on my Samsung TV with freshly updated firmware.

That coupled with the meager streaming selection means that day 28 will be when I log in and cancel unless something changes fast.

the app doesnt work too well on samsung smart tv's.
i have the app on mine and experience similar issues as you do.
i prefer the xbox app, this works much better without issues and is much more easier to navigate.
--

unknvoip
RIP goose
Premium
join:2006-07-25
Rochester, NY

Maybe now they are coming out of beta, they will release an app for the SONY Blu-ray players. If it is my TV at fault, I could watching using another device. I certainly am not going to invest any cash on a new box of any sort to view the service.

IllIlIlllIll
EliteData
Premium
Hampton Bays, NY

said by unknvoip:

Maybe now they are coming out of beta, they will release an app for the SONY Blu-ray players. If it is my TV at fault, I could watching using another device. I certainly am not going to invest any cash on a new box of any sort to view the service.

the app is not designed too well to operate on the samsung smart tv.
--

xbox360fios

@scansafe.net

Xbox360 app

I am a beta tester and I've had the xbox 360 app for a few weeks now. Its under video apps on the xbox app menu. It works basically like the netflix one. I also had the Netflix app back before the changes.
jcondon

Fishkill, NY

Re: Xbox360 app

said by xbox360fios :

I am a beta tester and I've had the xbox 360 app for a few weeks now. Its under video apps on the xbox app menu. It works basically like the netflix one. I also had the Netflix app back before the changes.

I looked in the market place and didn't see it. I will take a look again later. Thanks.
jcondon

Fishkill, NY
said by xbox360fios :

I still don't see it. I have 40 video apps and this ain't one of them. Great roll out. From everyone's comments it seems I am not missing much anyway.

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:4

No sony TV's?

I guess I'll wait, but they do have a device support request page with email notification.
ISurfTooMuch

join:2007-04-23
Tuscaloosa, AL

No Roku app

No Roku app. No thanks.

And, although they have apps for some Samsung Blu-ray players, mine isn't on the list. Again, no thanks.

I might be interested in the free trial, but not when I can't even use the service on my TV.
JBT

join:2002-12-06
Tucson, AZ

Re: No Roku app

No ps3 support and it ran like crap on my computer as well.
clocks11

join:2002-05-06
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by ISurfTooMuch:

No Roku app. No thanks.

Exactly. I got a beta code weeks ago, but when I saw I couldn't use it on my Roku, I never signed up.
b10010011
Whats a Posting tag?

join:2004-09-07
Bellingham, WA

No streaming only option?

I don't care about disks, just the streaming.

••••
Hanko

join:2001-12-28
Eatonville, WA

I had the beta and cancelled it.

I used the beta for almost 2 weeks before I went to Germany for business. I wanted a streaming service I could use while traveling.

It worked ok while I was at home or in the US, but as soon as I tried to connect from outside the US the system would just say there was a problem and to try again later. It never worked for the entire month I was in Munich on business. I did not try using a VPN service to make it appear as if I were back in the states.

As soon as I got back I again had no issues with the service other than the lack of interesting titles.

I cancelled the service since the reason I wanted it was to be able to watch movies/tv shows in English. Even though they had charged me for the month they took away the 4 rental credits I had not yet used and should have been good for another 3 weeks.

If they were to make it available for use outside the US I might try again. Until then.....
ISurfTooMuch

Tuscaloosa, AL

Re: I had the beta and cancelled it.

Somehow I think that your problems were by design. There's no way the studios will allow international streaming without additional money from Redbox.
markbot

join:2012-11-21
New York, NY

not on verizon website?!?!?!

I did the beta and felt the surface was a waste of money.

I'm surprised they aren't making a big splash on the verizon website. this is pathetic.
CXM_Splicer
Premium
NYC

Re: not on verizon website?!?!?!

Perhaps this is just an attempt to justify a 'there is no market for streaming video' position. The fact that Netflix is doing it is of no consequence... like gigabit ethernet and Google
ISurfTooMuch

Tuscaloosa, AL

Re: not on verizon website?!?!?!

said by CXM_Splicer:

Perhaps this is just an attempt to justify a 'there is no market for streaming video' position. The fact that Netflix is doing it is of no consequence... like gigabit ethernet and Google

If it was just Verizon doing it, I'd agree with you. With Redbox involved, I'm not so sure. If this is designed to fail, Verizon had better be paying them lots of money to compensate them for flushing a viable market down the toilet.
ISurfTooMuch

Tuscaloosa, AL

How about this business model?

OK, I have a business model for them. Pitch this service heavily to travelers, especially frequent travelers. Here's how it'd work. Redbox would install wi-fi in hotels, airports, train stations, etc. that actually has decent bandwidth and is dedicated exclusively to this streaming service. That way, travelers can actually use the service, unlike the current situation where many of these locations have slow, unreliable wi-fi that is worthless for streaming video. Throw in a channel that runs nothing but information about flight/train status and delays, a channel with very brief news updates, and a channel with rolling sports scores.

Now the service isn't quite as worthless.

Premium
West Tenness

Not worth $6

Basically is just EPIX content which my cable company provides for free.
Chuck_IV

Connecticut

Re: Not worth $6

At least Epix has an occasional exclusive movie once in a while, which does give it slight value.

The only thing that give the redbox service value is the 4 freebies at the kiosks, because their streaming content is severely lacking at this point. I guess that's how they cover up their lack of content.

Premium
West Tenness

Re: Not worth $6

That's not even a value. Since I already get EPIX content for free I'd be basically paying $8 for 4 rentals went I could get 4 rentals for $4.80 normally.

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
kudos:3

Is this on the fios box too?

With the intimate ties with Verizon, is this an app on the Fios set top box?
decifal

join:2007-03-10
Bon Aqua, TN

hmm

I remember when company called netflix used to do both streaming and data for a reasonable rate... Streaming didn't really benefit me unless I was at a hotel or somewhere with real internets, but it was nice having the option...

tileguy
Premium
join:2007-08-09
Derry, NH

RedBox Instant

Could be just me but I had the worse streaming ever. Tried to watch Every which way but loose. Was severely buffered and choppy and pixelated. Been that way since the Beta.