spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-03-15 09:13:01: Samsung last night took the wraps off of the new Galaxy S4, though most details of the new device had already leaked ahead of the company's launch. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · next

Riusaki

join:2000-09-14
Space

Ugly ass TouchWiz...

Looks nice but TouchWiz is completely the same. I already have my Nexus 4 anyway. If I were in the market for this phone I would root it and flash Cyanogenmod day one.

Pure android is where its at. TouchWiz and Sense are Microsoft Bob Android Edition.

gigahurtz
Premium
join:2001-10-20
Palm Coast, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House

said by Riusaki:

Looks nice but TouchWiz is completely the same. I already have my Nexus 4 anyway. If I were in the market for this phone I would root it and flash Cyanogenmod day one.

Pure android is where its at. TouchWiz and Sense are Microsoft Bob Android Edition.

How do you like the Nexus 4? I tried it a few weeks back and was very disappointed. I ended up returning it.

Battery life was atrocious, call quality/earpiece volume was very low, phone was very unstable.

Karl Bode
News Guy
join:2000-03-02
kudos:38

I still don't think they've made the right phone for me yet. Currently have the S3 running CM10, but I want something like the Nexus 4, but with a less plasticky design, a better removable battery, and very CM10 friendly. A bigger S4 is not what I'm looking for, personally.

gigahurtz
Premium
Palm Coast, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House

If this were Apple, there would be 90 comments by now

It's funny to see the difference in hatred between Android fan boys and Apple fan boys. If this were the day after the new iPhone was announced it was as underwhelming as what the S4 was, all of the Android fan boys would be coming out to talk about how great Android is.

Overall, the phone wasn't all that impressive to me. I was looking forward to this launch but was very unimpressed. The larger screen size is nice, but I wonder how that will make the phone to carry. It's in the range of a Galaxy Note now. The double picture feature is probably one of the stupidest features I've seen on a phone.

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5
reply to Karl Bode

Re: Ugly ass TouchWiz...

said by Karl Bode:

I still don't think they've made the right phone for me yet. Currently have the S3 running CM10, but I want something like the Nexus 4, but with a less plasticky design, a better removable battery, and very CM10 friendly. A bigger S4 is not what I'm looking for, personally.

How good wil the voice part be? You have the S3. Is the voice part any good?

Motorola phones haven't been the best smartphones around, but their voice capabilities and ability to maintain a voice call under low signal levels have always been outstanding.

Does the Samsung S3 keep a voice call going under weak signal conditions?

kerya666

join:2002-12-20
Valrico, FL
reply to Riusaki

The old TouchWiz I really hated but it seems they improved it overall quiet a lot with each update. (I started with Original Galaxy S).

The usual benefit of Galaxies is that all of them are very easy to root, have open bootloaders, so easy to put custom roms with whatever customization you want.

So you can always get rid of TouchWiz if you really want. I even remember some people migrating HTC's version of UI onto Galaxies back in the day (although with minor issues).

Overall I am quiet happy with specs of the phone. It really is a monster on paper, except maybe for pentile-matrix screen, lets see how it will do.

It seems like they starting to follow with same type of design for majority of their high-end phones. I don't know if I like that or not. In a way they establishing the "face" of Samsung high-tier phones but in the way it is the same lazy approach as Apple and their look alike phones every year.

kram1984j

join:2009-12-06
reply to Karl Bode

said by Karl Bode:

A bigger S4 is not what I'm looking for, personally.

Isn't it actually a smaller S4? The screen is slightly larger but the bezel is smaller and the overall device is supposed to be thinner, shorter, narrower, and lighter.

»www.phonearena.com/phones/compar···597,7114

Riusaki

join:2000-09-14
Space
reply to gigahurtz

Not sure what issues you had with yours. The earpiece volume is very loud on mine. Battery life is good for me and call quality is awesome. I'm running CM 10.1 (4.2.2) with a modified kernel. I rooted it within 30 minutes of taking it out of the box. The previous phone I had was the Tmobile G2. I buy a new phone every 18-24 months. I wait till phones are leaps and bounds better than my current one. Buying a new phone every 6 months is just spending money for an incremental upgrade.
--

Make the homies say HO and the girlies wanna SCREAM!

kram1984j

reply to kerya666

Yes I tried loading CM on my note 2..... reverted back to TW very quickly. It was not worth giving up multiview and some of the S Pen functionality.

Tomek
Premium
join:2002-01-30
Valley Stream, NY
reply to gigahurtz

Re: If this were Apple, there would be 90 comments by now

Not sure what are you talking about, so far I haven't seen "positive" response from "android fanboys"
--
Semper Fi

kram1984j

reply to gigahurtz

said by gigahurtz:

It's funny to see the difference in hatred between Android fan boys and Apple fan boys. If this were the day after the new iPhone was announced it was as underwhelming as what the S4 was, all of the Android fan boys would be coming out to talk about how great Android is.

Balancing that, you'd also have the Apple fanboys saying how these new "underwhelming" features were each amazing innovations warranting a nobel prize for each and that apple should sue android mfrs for copying them two years earlier (panoramic photos?).

said by gigahurtz:

The larger screen size is nice, but I wonder how that will make the phone to carry. It's in the range of a Galaxy Note now.

I'm not sure where you get this idea from... the S4 is thinner, narrower, shorter, lighter than the S3... Yes, only marginally smaller on the dimensions, but it's a larger screen with smaller overall dimensions.

Beans

join:2005-07-16
united state
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to Tomek

I dont know either, the apple folks were saying the same thing last year about the iphone not being big enough and bla, bla, bla, and even i agree that the iphone does need a plus to help compete with the note. That note is a phone i would have bought, but since i didnt do enough research on it, my fault. I do love the big screen on, soo much easier on the eyes.

Thaler
Premium
join:2004-02-02
Los Angeles, CA
kudos:3
reply to Karl Bode

Out of curiosity, what does CM10 add to the S3 for you? The hardware in it is overkill for my needs and seems to help the stock software brute force it through any possible hang up. Just looking through the CM forums on the S3, seems to be a slew of glitch complaints, but no explanations as to why a root vs. stock.

wkm001

join:2009-12-14
reply to Riusaki

I agree that TouchWiz is nothing special. Which is why I run the Apex launcher. CM is much more than stock Android. While they are similar on the surface, CM has a lot more settings. Many I would like to see in stock Android.

I have an S3 and tried CM and AOKP. But then I lost all the cool features like Smart Stay and Direct Dial. Now that smart phones are pretty much all the same (slate style), software is where the innovation has to occur.

BullyRED

join:2004-04-08
Grayslake, IL
reply to kram1984j

Don't go with non-stock roms in my opinion. I have a Note 2 - despise TouchWiz. I went with NovaLauncher and it pretty much takes it back to stock android with some better features...and it leaves the S-Pen functionality intact. Check it out...it's worth a few bucks to get rid of that TouchWiz.

kram1984j

reply to Thaler

said by Thaler:

but no explanations as to why a root vs. stock.

remove bloatware applications, customize UI, Titanium Backup and similar apps, wifi tether, multiview for all apps.... but these apply to root (and root with touchwiz if including the multiview mods), not specific to installing AOSP/CM.

gigahurtz
Premium
Palm Coast, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
reply to kram1984j

My point is that in the time the phone was announced and this article was posted, if it was an Apple product you'd have a ton of comments of people talking about how underwhelming the phone is. Android fans love to jump all over Apple products. I don't see that with the S4, even though it was very underwhelming.

kerya666

join:2002-12-20
Valrico, FL
reply to gigahurtz

I don't know what exactly you mean by underwhelming, and what is your criteria for grading phones but I mainly look for hardware spec and then software/aesthetics - for me the phone has best hardware on the market as of now. I mean what did you expect for it to have? ICBMs and world annihilating lasers?

But yeah that double camera thing was weird, as well as picture with sound. But at least they are thinking out of the box...like I said earlier you can always get rid of them or not use it.

I don't know about all that fanboy-ism... maybe you should visit GSMArena... both sides are crazy.

In-fact I have a friend that was a right down Apple defending extremist... until he switched sides and now it is the other way around. Makes me wonder how many there are in Android camp just like him...heh

For the most part Apple gets flak for over-hyping everything and "inventing" things that existed for sometime before they even thought about it. And then suing competition into oblivion even if they used it before Apple and never applied for a patent.

I personally had numerous phones from both companies and overall Android system seems to fit me much better because of thorough customization. But that is personal opinion...

ARGONAUT
Have a nice day.
Premium
join:2006-01-24
New Albany, IN
kudos:1

Sticking with my S3 for now.

The S4 looks great but I'm in no rush. My S3 GT-i9300 is doing just fine.

Rom: Sotmax JB Ultimate Stock with HD voice.
Kernel: Yank555.lu 3.3a
--

Well, he acts like he has genuine emotions. Uhm, of course, he's programmed that way to make it easier for us to talk to him.

wkm001

1 recommendation

reply to FFH

I agree that Motorola has been putting very good radios and antennas in their phones for quite some time. They should, they were a radio company first.

I have a Verizon S3 and the ability to hold onto a voice call is nothing short of amazing. Even in very weak signal areas. A friend at work has a US Cellular S3 and she is experiencing the same great signals.

wkm001

reply to Thaler

I have been running CleanROM on my Verizon S3. The battery life on my S3 is fantastic now. I have no issues making it through the day on a charge. If Samsung had shipped a similar ROM from the get go the S3 would be an even bigger hit.

Running Apex as my launcher I get a more traditional Android experience while holding onto features like Smart Stay and Direct Dial.

Karl Bode
News Guy
reply to FFH

I've been happy with the voice quality. Most of the voice issues I run into are due to Verizon's iffy coverage here north of NYC.

Karl Bode
News Guy
reply to kram1984j

I meant larger screen. I personally don't need or want to get into 5" territory.

IowaCowboy
Want to go back to Iowa
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast
reply to gigahurtz

Hatred of Apple fans is nothing new, I took heat in the '90s for liking Apple Computers. I got my first computer in 1999 and it was an iMac 333 MHz. Every computer I've owned since then was an Apple.

I like Apple products and I always will. Nobody is going to take that iPhone from my cold dead hands. All while I am writing this from my iPad Mini. And iTunes is my record store. My router is an Apple AirPort Extreme.
--
I've experienced ImOn (when they were McLeod USA), Mediacom, Comcast, and Time Warner. They are much better than broadcast TV.

I have not and will not cut the cord.

Karl Bode
News Guy
reply to Thaler

said by Thaler:

Out of curiosity, what does CM10 add to the S3 for you? The hardware in it is overkill for my needs and seems to help the stock software brute force it through any possible hang up. Just looking through the CM forums on the S3, seems to be a slew of glitch complaints, but no explanations as to why a root vs. stock.

I like the fact I can essentially gut the interface from the top down, purge all Verizon bloatware, and customize the hell out of it. Some of the stock Google functionality (typing) feels better to me as well.

My main problem is there's still a few bugs with Cyanogen Mod 10 on the S3 they haven't fixed yet, like the home button becoming borked (single press brings you to open apps instead of home, fixed by a reboot) and the occasional inability to properly click on a link without getting the alt menu options (also fixed with a reboot).

My wife's tethering also doesn't work with CM10 on the S3, so I'm thinking of sending her back to stock, and may in time nudge her back to the iPhone.

bobjohnson
Premium
join:2007-02-03
Orlando, FL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·T-Mobile US
·Sprint Mobile Br..
reply to FFH

said by FFH:

said by Karl Bode:

How good wil the voice part be? You have the S3. Is the voice part any good?

Motorola phones haven't been the best smartphones around, but their voice capabilities and ability to maintain a voice call under low signal levels have always been outstanding.

Does the Samsung S3 keep a voice call going under weak signal conditions?

Middle of the road. Speakerphone is horrible if there's any background noise.
Compared to Motorola, no. Compared to other Samsung phones, yes.
--

Karl Bode
News Guy

1 recommendation

Yeah I think there's lots of room for improvement. I am told by others that I'm worlds clearer on the S3 than I was on the iPhone 4, fwiw.

I really look forward to the day of VoLTE, as I've not really ever been impressed with voice on any of the smartphones I've used...

gigahurtz
Premium
Palm Coast, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
reply to kerya666

My point is this: the same comments were made about the iPhone 5 when it was released. They weren't "innovative enough". The phone was the same as the 4S, but with a bigger screen. It's the same on both sides.

I personally don't care. I purchase a phone that fits my needs, and I've owned both Android and Apple phones. They're both great and fit their niche in the market.

bobjohnson
Premium
join:2007-02-03
Orlando, FL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·T-Mobile US
·Sprint Mobile Br..
reply to Karl Bode

said by Karl Bode:

Yeah I think there's lots of room for improvement. I am told by others that I'm worlds clearer on the S3 than I was on the iPhone 4, fwiw.

I really look forward to the day of VoLTE, as I've not really ever been impressed with voice on any of the smartphones I've used...

I have a Nokia Lumia 810 with T-Mobile and the S3 on Sprint and the Lumia is hands down the winner on voice quality but the S3 is better at everything else so I'm not sure which one is better
I am eagerly awaiting VoLTE as well.
--

Thaler
Premium
join:2004-02-02
Los Angeles, CA
kudos:3
reply to kram1984j

said by kram1984j:

said by Thaler:

but no explanations as to why a root vs. stock.

remove bloatware applications, customize UI, Titanium Backup and similar apps, wifi tether, multiview for all apps.... but these apply to root (and root with touchwiz if including the multiview mods), not specific to installing AOSP/CM.

I understand the removal of bloatware, but the hardware itself is beyond overkill for any hangups that might occur. Other than occupying some of the 16 GB of internal memory, is there a problem with the stock software, even if it is bloat?