dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-03-28 08:19:34: Comcast's new X1 set top box will soon arrive in its eighth market: Washington DC, and Comcast says the box will arrive in "every major city" in 2013. ..

YukonHawk
join:2001-01-07
Patterson, NY

YukonHawk

What other functionality.....

does this box employ? How does it differ from a regular STB other than IP functionality? Thanks.
Expand your moderator at work

bbeesley
join:2003-08-07
Richardson, TX

bbeesley to YukonHawk

to YukonHawk

Re: What other functionality.....

said by YukonHawk:

How does it differ from a regular STB other than IP functionality?

voice commands, pandora, twitter, FB aps, just to name a few

»xfinity.comcast.net/x1/faq/
TBBroadband
join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

TBBroadband to YukonHawk

to YukonHawk
With being IP, would could assume that they could take these STBs and use them on a full IP network if they wished to move to such.

YukonHawk
Patterson, NY

2 edits

YukonHawk

Thank you! Wow...this is light years ahead of what my current STB can do. I really like the GUI. Thanks again for the info.

Ultibeam
join:2008-05-27
USA

Ultibeam

said by YukonHawk:

Thank you! Wow...this is light years ahead of what what my current STB can do. I really like the GUI. Thanks again for the info.

Yes, it's a massive improvement appearance and feature wise but it's still known to be very buggy and less tolerable for marginal cable signals.

Other than that, it's nice to know Comcast finally addressing the sorry nature of their current stb fleet.

»[X1] Xfinity X1 now available to New Customers

djrobx
Premium Member
join:2000-05-31
Reno, NV

djrobx

Premium Member

said by Ultibeam:

said by YukonHawk:

Thank you! Wow...this is light years ahead of what what my current STB can do. I really like the GUI. Thanks again for the info.

Other than that, it's nice to know Comcast finally addressing the sorry nature of their current stb fleet.

At least Comcast is trying. Set top apathy seems to be a general problem with cable companies. TWC took over Comcast's systems here 7 years ago, but we still have Comcast's iGuide, with some tweaks to add StartOver and LookBack.

I've also noticed that brand new customers still sometimes get DCT6416s. 160GB of MPEG-2 HD is laughable.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536 to YukonHawk

Premium Member

to YukonHawk
said by YukonHawk:

does this box employ? How does it differ from a regular STB other than IP functionality? Thanks.

slowing down of your internet when you have the TV on[just like uverse]

YukonHawk
Patterson, NY

YukonHawk

said by dvd536:

said by YukonHawk:

That would stink if it slows things down. Do you have one? If you do, do you like the features?
JPL
Premium Member
join:2007-04-04
Downingtown, PA

JPL to dvd536

Premium Member

to dvd536
said by dvd536:

said by YukonHawk:

Sorry, this makes no sense. Comcast is NOT replicating U-verse's architecture with this. U-verse is full IP TV, so everything comes in via the internet connection. And what's worse, U-verse is limited by the pipe they have going to your house. Twisted pair isn't exactly a big pipe. Comcast will still be using QAM for all their feeds to your house. TV viewing will in no way slow down internet service with this set up. It's no different than what they have today. All that will happen is that if you decide to use some of the IP features of the STB, you're going to share the internet bandwidth for that. But there's a HUGE difference between updating your facebook status via your TV and getting all your programming in via an IP feed. If anything, this takes Comcast a step closer to the same architecture that Verizon uses for FiOS (which is the service I have). And trust me, I see no degredation in internet speed just because someone is watching TV.
mob (banned)
On the next level..
join:2000-10-07
San Jose, CA

mob (banned) to YukonHawk

to YukonHawk
One stop data collection...

baineschile
2600 ways to live
Premium Member
join:2008-05-10
Sterling Heights, MI

baineschile

Premium Member

Anyone in the area?

Is anyone in the DC area that is going to get this?

If so, I (and I am assuming a few others) would like to see real screen, and everything in action.

cypherstream
MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

cypherstream

MVM

Re: Anyone in the area?

There are a few good video reviews on youtube already.

Here's one of many:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· q_S90S5U

I'm just impressed how apple like and smooth it looks. The operation looks slicker than Dish Network and DirecTV's HD guides.
kmand
join:2002-05-06
Decatur, GA

kmand

Only Two Simultaneous Recordings

The bad news is that from everything I've heard it still will only allow two simultaneous recordings despite having six tuners (although you can watch an additional live channel).

At least on this its not competitive with modern Tivo or satellite offerings.

x1user
@comcast.net

x1user

Anon

Re: Only Two Simultaneous Recordings

The lack of more than 2 tuners is only temporary. In Boston, they'll be opening up 5 tuners probably in the May-July timeframe. The box is capable, but there's more work involved before that gets released.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

DirecTV is better

I just switched from Comcast to DirecTV and there is a 1000 percent improvement in the picture quality. I was hoping to get an X1 box but I find it unethical to give preferential treatment to new customers. And my phone (soon to be switched to Verizon landline for better reliability) and Internet just went out tonight.
Happydude32
Premium Member
join:2005-07-16

2 recommendations

Happydude32

Premium Member

Re: DirecTV is better

So then it would be unethical for DirecTV to give you (as a new subscriber) a free HR34, when existing customers have to pay $300? It would be unethical for DirecTV to give a you a free C31 when existing subscribers have to pay $100 for that, right? And it would be unethical for DirecTV to provide you with a free year of NFL Sunday Ticket Max when existing subs pay $300 for that, right?

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

What I am saying is companies should reward loyalty by not jacking the price up 200 percent after a promotion expires.

I have a trick towards getting new customer promotions by flip-flopping between providers. Hard to do with Internet as it is cable or DSL but switching between DirecTV and Comcast for TV works for me and my bank account. When my DirecTV promotion expires completely at the end of my contract, I'll have some leverage.
Happydude32
Premium Member
join:2005-07-16

1 recommendation

Happydude32

Premium Member

quote:
What I am saying is companies should reward loyalty by not jacking the price up 200 percent after a promotion expires.
You mean like what's going to happen to your DirecTV bill in 12 months from now? You’re calling Comcast unethical, for the samething thing your new found love, DirecTV is doing. So who exactly is being unethical here and why is it unethical to provide an incentive for people to switch from the competition?

Would you rather not have promos and be charged the MSRP from day 1? When I first got satellite TV, there were no special intro rates, and there were no deals. The cost of a two room Dish Network system with the most basic receiver you could get was about $800, and that included the $100 installation free, as those had to be paid back them as well
quote:
I have a trick towards getting new customer promotions by flip-flopping between providers.
Don’t give yourself too much credit. You didn’t invent that. You’re not the only one that does that, many do.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536 to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy
said by IowaCowboy:

I have a trick towards getting new customer promotions by flip-flopping between providers.

Hardly a trick when your promo dies after a year but you're contract locked into 2 years with steep ETF!

CableGuy6322
@rogers.com

CableGuy6322

Anon

Already obsolete at the get-go. I don't see any mention of Wi-Fi capable. How about Network DVR capable. Multiple tuners is way outdated. The only device that should have a tuner is your Docsis 3 modem with 8-16-24 bonded channels to deliver bandwidth for the set top box. The service should be entirely delivered over IP with HTML5 GUI that can be changed/updated on the fly.
TBBroadband
Fremont, OH

TBBroadband

DirecTV does whole house DVR/network DVR. But it requires HSI in order for it to work. But they also run over coax and nothing else.

Also the DTV system uses HSI to even update, etc.

gar187er
I DID this for a living
join:2006-06-24
Seattle, WA

gar187er to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy
its logistics.

Lone Wolf
Retired
Premium Member
join:2001-12-30
USA

Lone Wolf to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy
said by IowaCowboy:

I find it unethical to give preferential treatment to new customers.

I've been a Comcast customer for many years. When I called for service a few weeks ago I requested an X1 box and they said "No problem. You'll get a new and faster modem too at no additional charge".

I'm in Philadelphia and heard only new customers would get the box but that was not true.
TBBroadband
Fremont, OH

TBBroadband to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy
Surprised you didn't go to VZ to order DirecTV/Dishnetwork and get a bundled deal as much as you praise them and love them.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

said by TBBroadband:

Surprised you didn't go to VZ to order DirecTV/Dishnetwork and get a bundled deal as much as you praise them and love them.

I actually went to VZ for a DirecTV and home phone bundle. I'm keeping Comcast for Internet. Getting basic cable ($5.02/mo in my area) through cc lowers the Internet bill as well.

battleop
join:2005-09-28

battleop

It's Chattanooga, TN not Tenn

We stopped using Tenn in 1963 when the postal system introduced the zip code.
indy0365
join:2001-08-25
Franklin, IN

indy0365

Re: It's Chattanooga, TN not Tenn

should be GA boder not correct

Davy49
join:2007-04-10
Brandon, MS

Davy49

X1 Deployment Schedule

Hi All,
I'm currently a comcast subscriber in Jacksonville,fl, and have been for year's now. Upon reading this post, it sounds 'interesting'.... as is mentioned, comcast states " it will be deployed in every major city by the end of 2013 ". The way that statement reads... it sounds as if the comcast subscriber's like myself are going to be out of luck for deployment in 2013. I'm so ready for a 'major' change here of some kind. I truly enjoy trying out new technology, actually I tend to 'thrive' on it...come on comcast, please get with it, hopefully you care enough about your subscribers to do so.

jmn1207
Premium Member
join:2000-07-19
Sterling, VA

jmn1207

Premium Member

Will This Ever Save Me Money?

I just want to know if going this direction would ever be able to save me money. Currently, the biggest issue I have with the pricing scheme is the $17.95 for each additional HD DVR that I am renting from Comcast.

If this new box will eventually allow me to record at least 3 shows simultaneously while being able to watch a live or recorded show on any other TV, that is all I need.

What is cheaper, 4 separate HD DVRs, or an X1 on one TV and associated equipment for the other 3 TVs?