dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-03-28 08:30:59: UK's marketing regulator, the Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) – has censured Virgin Media for claiming that their broadband is unlimited. ..

Eagles1221
join:2009-04-29
Vincentown, NJ

Eagles1221

POST OFFICE

Article mentions 100GB per month in one sentence then 100GB per week in the next sentence.

One could argue even 100GB a week is still pretty good though.

Spelling cop
@start.ca

Spelling cop

Anon

Busted!

Censured, not censored.
ConstantineM
join:2011-09-02
San Jose, CA

ConstantineM

links?

Missing links and broken links, nice story and copyediting!

And, BTW, I still have no clue what's the issue here. What are ASA rules? Why does EE get away, but Virgin Media does not?

I used to live in the UK, and I do remember how Orange and the rest of the gang all had lots of unlimited plans with lots of pretty clear small print that their plans are not actually unlimited at all. So, is that not allowed anymore, or what?
pawpaw
join:2004-05-05
Asheville, NC

pawpaw

It is what I Mean...

Would that the American Association of Advertising Agencies, the US BBB or the FTC find similar ethics.
firedrakes
join:2009-01-29
Arcadia, FL

firedrakes

yeah if you look at t mobile and virgin moblie ads on tv. in super small print and you have to pause the ad it stats not unlimited
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned) to Eagles1221

to Eagles1221

Re: POST OFFICE

said by Eagles1221:

One could argue even 100GB a week is still pretty good though.

It isn't when the service claims to be unlimited.
WhatNow
Premium Member
join:2009-05-06
Charlotte, NC

WhatNow

Premium Member

Unlimited

If the Ad says Unlimited in big print or the main point in Audio then it should be unrestricted or they should have to give equal weight to the restrictions. Not some low voice speaking 90 miles/hr like they use to do in car sales or drug ads. I love the new drug ads when they say this drug may kill you or a 100 other negative side effects.