dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-03-28 12:20:48: Researchers at the University of Southampton in England say they've developed a new type of optical fiber that smashes all previously held bandwidth transmission records. ..

iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

1 recommendation

iansltx

It's not the speed...

...it's the latency. You can hit that speed with traditional glas-core fiber. You just can't get 99.7% of the speed of light in that fiber (it's closer to 65%). I mentioned this in a couple comments on Engadget.
dra6o0n
join:2011-08-15
Mississauga, ON

dra6o0n

Re: It's not the speed...

Basically renders DDoS useless for a while because botnets' 300gb ammo can't destroy a 73700gb structure?
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned)

Re: It's not the speed...

Your comment is so clueless it is ridiculous.
coma9
join:2013-02-05
United State

coma9

CyberBunker

would want a couple of these wired up to their little bunker.
CXM_Splicer
Looking at the bigger picture
Premium Member
join:2011-08-11
NYC

1 recommendation

CXM_Splicer

Premium Member

Verizon CEO says:

There is no market for speeds like that!This stuff is useless.

gdj50
join:2001-02-01
Spokane, WA

gdj50

Re: Verizon CEO says:

There was no market for the transistor:)
InvalidError
join:2008-02-03

InvalidError to CXM_Splicer

to CXM_Splicer
It isn't useless.

I'm sure transcontinental fiber runs would benefit quite a bit from the ~30% lower latency from hollow fiber. But for this to happen, they would need to get the attenuation down to the conventional glass fiber 0.2-0.3dB/km range.

The only real news in this article is a new speed record for hollow fiber... but as someone said above, similarly high speeds have already been achieved on conventional fibers over long-haul fibers (the stuff that really matters) so the speed claim itself is not particularly impressive.

I'm sure the ultimate goal is to produce long-haul hollow fiber but at 3.5dB/km, they most likely still have a long way to go to get there.

motoracer
join:2003-09-15
united state

motoracer

said by InvalidError:

It isn't useless.

I'm sure transcontinental fiber runs would benefit quite a bit from the ~30% lower latency from hollow fiber. But for this to happen, they would need to get the attenuation down to the conventional glass fiber 0.2-0.3dB/km range.

The only real news in this article is a new speed record for hollow fiber... but as someone said above, similarly high speeds have already been achieved on conventional fibers over long-haul fibers (the stuff that really matters) so the speed claim itself is not particularly impressive.

I'm sure the ultimate goal is to produce long-haul hollow fiber but at 3.5dB/km, they most likely still have a long way to go to get there.

His post was making fun of the Verizon CEO.
CXM_Splicer
Premium Member
NYC

1 recommendation

CXM_Splicer

Premium Member

said by motoracer:

His post was making fun of the Verizon CEO.

At least somebody got it! Thank you Motoracer. I was simply pointing out the irony of the VZ CEO (and others) claiming there is no market for Gigabit Internet while technology continues to increase the boundary of fiber's usable speed.
dra6o0n
Mississauga, ON

dra6o0n

In security and ISP hosting, there is. Especially when botnet and DDoS incidents starts to rise.

Higher latency threshold means less likely to take a huge hit from gigabit ddosing right?
34764170 (banned)
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned)

said by dra6o0n:

In security and ISP hosting, there is. Especially when botnet and DDoS incidents starts to rise.

Higher latency threshold means less likely to take a huge hit from gigabit ddosing right?

fiber is already capable of transmitting terabits per second. This won't make any difference there.

34764170 (banned) to InvalidError

to InvalidError
said by InvalidError:

It isn't useless.

Your sarcasm detector needs some major tweaking.
xenophon
join:2007-09-17

xenophon to CXM_Splicer

to CXM_Splicer
This could be good for data centers between systems and for network based storage, but likely not for consumers.
34764170 (banned)
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned)

said by xenophon:

This could be good for data centers between systems and for network based storage, but likely not for consumers.

There is more to the world than consumer Internet connections and current fibre technology is not a limiting factor for anything that would be delivered for a consumer Internet connection.

Packeteers
Premium Member
join:2005-06-18
Forest Hills, NY

Packeteers to CXM_Splicer

Premium Member

to CXM_Splicer
that's pretty naive statement. i'm sure people at cern, nsa and nasdaq (just to name a few), are drooling over this news.

baineschile
2600 ways to live
Premium Member
join:2008-05-10
Sterling Heights, MI

1 recommendation

baineschile

Premium Member

In defense, I am sure this post was referring to standard household consumers. Oviously there are large business enteties and other organizations that will be interested.
Atekido
join:2002-08-25
York, NE

Atekido to CXM_Splicer

to CXM_Splicer
You just won the award for dumbest poster for 2013 so far.

C_Chipperson
Monster Rain
Premium Member
join:2009-01-17

C_Chipperson

Premium Member

said by Atekido:

You just won the award for dumbest poster for 2013 so far.

Did nobody notice he prefaced his sarcastic comment with "Re: Verizon CEO says:"

You may have the dumbest post...

Jim Kirk
Premium Member
join:2005-12-09

1 recommendation

Jim Kirk to CXM_Splicer

Premium Member

to CXM_Splicer
said by CXM_Splicer:

There is no market for speeds like that!This stuff is useless.

It's really sad that only 1 out of 7 people caught the sarcasm.
CXM_Splicer
Premium Member
NYC

CXM_Splicer

Premium Member

Just out of curiosity, what did you think the subject preface 'Verizon CEO says:' meant??

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium Member
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK

KrK to CXM_Splicer

Premium Member

to CXM_Splicer
LOL.

antennaguy
@myvzw.com

antennaguy

Anon

latency

In RF this principal is referred to as waveguide.
ame101
join:2002-05-02
Torrington, CT

ame101

High Frequency Trading: Time is Money

»spectrum.ieee.org/comput ··· of-light

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium Member
join:2005-03-19
Mullica Hill, NJ

ArrayList

Premium Member

Re: High Frequency Trading: Time is Money

that crap should be illegal.
HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet
join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON

HeadSpinning

said by ArrayList:

Next the traders will be using fibre that has the signal arrive before it is sent.
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

said by HeadSpinning:

said by ArrayList:

Next the traders will be using fibre that has the signal arrive before it is sent.

Some already do - it's called insider trading.

jap
Premium Member
join:2003-08-10
038xx

1 edit

1 recommendation

jap to ame101

Premium Member

to ame101
That was my first thought when considering who would adopt this now. Short runs, they care about nano-seconds, early-adopter cost = non-issue.

Emotionally driven opportunistic social commentary: I'd just as soon like to see practitioners of high frequency trading buried alive with their new fiber.
brianiscool
join:2000-08-16
Tampa, FL

brianiscool

I need that!

If I had that kind of bandwidth. I would have an online cloud that would make daily full backups of all of my computers. Also I would use it for video streaming HD 1080P and 4K when it comes out.

tubbynet
reminds me of the danse russe
MVM
join:2008-01-16
Gilbert, AZ

tubbynet

MVM

makes perfect sense...

from my ee classes (that i thought i had drunk away) -- n of glass is ~1.5.
remove the glass -- n~1.
you remove a lot of barriers around permittivity.

now if it can be mass produced...

q.

koitsu
MVM
join:2002-07-16
Mountain View, CA
Humax BGW320-500

koitsu

MVM

Sounds like a great replacement...

...for existing multimode fibre, which tend to be intended for short-distance runs (up to ~6 miles / ~10 kilometres), and already have a 2.5-3.5dB loss per kilometre. Reference:

»www.fiberoptics4sale.com ··· timates/

Hooray for new technologies.
Rekrul
join:2007-04-21
Milford, CT

Rekrul

"ISPs are said to be eager to offer this new speed tier to their customers. It's expected to be introduced for only $20,000.00 per month!"

weaseled386
join:2008-04-13
Edgewater, FL

weaseled386

Re: ...

said by Rekrul:

"ISPs are said to be eager to offer this new speed tier to their customers. It's expected to be introduced for only $20,000.00 per month!"

You forgot to mention the 250GB cap!!
dra6o0n
Mississauga, ON

dra6o0n

Re: ...

Except a single 4K video would easily kill it within an hour!

rebus9
join:2002-03-26
Tampa Bay

rebus9

What am I missing?

quote:
To achieve the transmission rate of 73.7 terabits per second, the researchers used wave division multiplexing (WDM) to transmit 37 40-gigabit signals down the hollow fiber.
40 Gbps * 37 = 1,480 Gbps
40 Gbps * 37 != (does not equal) 73,700 Gbps

Their math (or the quoted numbers) is off by a factor of 50.

•••••
tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080

what's practical?

the majority of residential subscribers can't get or can't afford speeds of over 100 megabits to say nothing of gigabit & beyond. the networking equipment beyond 1 gigabit is prohibitively expensive for regular Joe Schmo.

it will be a decade or perhaps never that residential broadband hits speeds of 1 gigabit symmetric given the companies who OWN the last mile through monopoly, duopoly and consumer apathy.

what's also interesting, you don't hear many FTTP companies ready to even talk about 10 Gigabit ONTs as the cable industry is in R&D/pre-construction phase over re-organizing spectrum to get 24mhz channels on their last mile docsis 3.1 deployment.

How about a fiber optic cable that has none of these signal loss issues & is cheaper to make than current FO cable? That would be impressive... this? Not so much.

•••

Fibres
@optonline.net

Fibres

Anon

Look at the loss

The loss makes it completely impractical for any major applications. Just useful for intrafacility transmissions really.

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium Member
join:2002-03-27
Syracuse, NY

kingdome74

Premium Member

Huh?

What's the cap?

anonuser101

Anon

Re: Huh?

MASSIVE OVERAGES!!!
decifal7
join:2007-03-10
Bon Aqua, TN

decifal7

pointless

No real point.. The deployment will be a joke and to people with 5 options already, and then they will just cap the crap out of it.. Just put all research to sleep till companies decide to let the consumer have fun with the internet again and god freakin forbid build it out more with the USF funds rather than horde it claiming its for maintenance for POTS that hardly noone use's any more..

•••
34764170 (banned)
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned)

The usual clueless

As usual anything posted about fibre and the clueless come out. OMG I won't receive a ridiculously fast Internet connection at home so there is no point at all. Completely clueless. Because there is nothing else to the Internet but your home connection.

elios
join:2005-11-15
Springfield, MO

elios

Re: The usual clueless

this
to get that 'ridiculously fast Internet connection' you need a ludicrous speed back haul