spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-03-29 10:05:35: Antennas manufacturer Antennas Direct is angry at Charter Communications because it claims Charter has banned the company from advertising to Charter's customers. According to the company, Charter refused to run a sixty second ad in the St. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · next

AMDUSER
Premium
join:2003-05-28
Earth,
kudos:1

Why doesn't Antennas Direct contact a local station..

Most areas have local ABC, CBS, even FOX affiliates, many of them would have no problems taking the money. [The irony is, that those same ads Charter refused to allow, would end up on Charter- by way of that station being on the cable line-up. ]

Packeteers
Premium
join:2005-06-18
Forest Hills, NY
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

4 edits

2 recommendations

benefit of the doubt

this makes a good story - too good. my guess is Antennas Direct is creating a controversy to drum up free advertising for those people sympathetic to rising cableTV rates who may already be on the verge of buying an OTA solution.

the fact is OTA station ratings keep dropping while cableTV only based station ratings continue to rise. compare any award show now to a decade ago, and you find far more cableTV shows are winning industry recognition than OTA stuff.

bigger budgets are also going to cableTV shows - consider high quality and authenticity "Game of Thrones" or "Boardwalk Empire" would have not been able to thrive into 3 season runs under today's typical OTA budget constraints.

Disclaimer: i do not have cableTV, i get my entertainment from OTA + Torrent(pirating), and would only pay for cableTV when it finally becomes a'la'carte - fully payperview - as i feel paying for content you will never watch is insane.

tmc8080

join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·ooma
·Optimum Online
·Verizon FiOS

quit your moanin cableco

I thought youtube was the place to lmao

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXLxM0u1aJw

bobjohnson
Premium
join:2007-02-03
Orlando, FL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·T-Mobile US
·Sprint Mobile Br..
reply to Packeteers

Re: benefit of the doubt

said by Packeteers:

this makes a good story - too good. my guess is Antennas Direct is creating a controversy to drum up free advertising for those people sympathetic to rising cableTV rates who may already be on the verge of buying an OTA solution.

Yep, they can't pay for advertising but now a lot of people will know about them for free. Way to stick it to em Charter.
--

buzz_4_20

join:2003-09-20
Limestone, ME
Reviews:
·ObiVoice
·Pioneer Wireless

7 recommendations

I'll Just Leave This Here

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ilMx7k7mso

LightS
Premium
join:2005-12-17
Greenville, TX

That video was fantastic.

viperpa33s
Why Me?
Premium
join:2002-12-20
Bradenton, FL

Use to be the other way around

Years ago it was cable that was a direct threat to the antenna. Always had to move the antenna around to get good reception, and you would be out of luck if a storm came through. Now that technology has advanced the antenna, the cable companies are now fearing it.

turnerbrewer

join:2011-11-22
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit

Cable Co's are starting to take notice....

I reside in Comcast territory. I ditched my cable TV several months ago for OTA (attic) Antenna + Streaming(Netflix, iTunes). I am 50 miles from the broadcast towers.
Comcast recently closed the local retail store in my town. The nearest store is over 40 miles away.
Over the last several months I have seen more and more Antenna's installed on rooftops as I drive thru town. There have been at least a dozen antennas installed in my neighborhood alone. And I live in a somewhat upper middle class neighborhood. I believe that people are cutting cable because there are better alternatives for the money. Cord cutting is not purely due to financial hardship. I would go back to cable or satellite if the value was there. I would gladly pay $15 to $20 a month for the 7 channels that my family watched on cable. I can purchase all of our shows on ITunes for $300 a year. I was paying Comcast $1200 dollars a year for just TV.
I can watch what I want when I want to. The cable co's better get with the times...Yeah, Pay TV ratings are up, but how many of those viewers purchased the shows thru Amazon, iTunes, or VUDU?

jseymour

join:2009-12-11
Waterford, MI

Yeah, Like That'll Work

What century is Charter living in? For most of the rest of us it's the 21st century. A century where we have things like the Internet.

People are already abandoning broadcast media in droves, especially for "news" sources, because that industry can't wrap its collective head around the idea that the horse-draw buggy days are coming to an end. The smart thing for companies like Charter would be to find a way to compete, rather than engage in a futile effort to stifle.

Jim

Killersaurus

join:2012-09-17

Antenna Convert

Starting in 2008 I kept paring back our cable subscription until we had the most basic package. Once I realized we were paying for the channels we could get for free we went antenna-only in 2010 and haven't looked back. One antenna in the attic feeds three TV's in my house and we still have more shows than we can watch.

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7

1 recommendation

reply to turnerbrewer

Re: Cable Co's are starting to take notice....

said by turnerbrewer:

I sometimes take different routes thru town just to see if I can spot any new rooftop antennas.

Someone needs to find a different hobby. Quick.

nonamesleft

join:2011-11-07
Manitowoc, WI
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Callcentric

OTA seen as a threat...

This is good, at least I know it won't be going away anytime soon then. When I move back to charter terrriotory, I will still be using a tv antenna, and my FTA SAT system too.
Charter has beaten comcast as worst cable company out there, can any others beat charter in that?

me1212

join:2008-11-20
Pleasant Hill, MO
reply to Packeteers

said by Packeteers:

the fact is OTA station ratings keep dropping while cableTV only based station ratings continue to rise. compare any award show now to a decade ago, and you find far more cableTV shows are winning industry recognition than OTA stuff.

OTA has crap like the big bang theory and 2 1/2 men, cable has the walking dead. yeah yeah cable has 16 years old knocked up but theres more choices on cable where has most ota "primetime" is sitcoms or "dramas" that have been done to death. OTA just doesn't have as much good tv.

bbeesley
VIP
join:2003-08-07
Richardson, TX
kudos:5

not surprising

that Charter would elect not to carry ads that disparage their own products. They run a business and they can decide not to take someone's money if they feel doing so is not in their best interest. I am pretty sure they don't allow ads for satellite either.

Rekrul

join:2007-04-21
Milford, CT
reply to viperpa33s

Re: Use to be the other way around

said by viperpa33s:

Years ago it was cable that was a direct threat to the antenna. Always had to move the antenna around to get good reception, and you would be out of luck if a storm came through. Now that technology has advanced the antenna, the cable companies are now fearing it.

Antenna reception is still extremely flaky. My friend dumped cable a few years ago and put up an antenna. He's always having problems with it. In bad weather, he sometimes loses channels. He's always replacing the connectors because they get wet and start affecting the image quality. Where the old analog system would just give you a poor picture if there were reception problems, digital becomes completely unwatchable.

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

OTA is useless

I get better content with pay TV. I watch old episodes of Home Improvement on TV Land that I have a series recording set on my DirecTV Genie. There is a lot of good content on pay TV.

As for competing providers, I see ads for Comcast (mainly on local channels) on my shiny new DirecTV system. I might also see an ad for Dish Network on DirecTV once in a while. At least I don't have to see the annoying ads that Comcast played endlessly for Taylor Swift and her new album red being played over the national feeds. And I have seen ads for both Dish and DirecTV when I had Comcast.
--
I've experienced ImOn (when they were McLeod USA), Mediacom, Comcast, and Time Warner and I currently have DirecTV. They are much better than broadcast TV.

I have not and will not cut the cord.

dishrich

join:2006-05-12
Springfield, IL
reply to AMDUSER

Re: Why doesn't Antennas Direct contact a local station..

said by AMDUSER:

Most areas have local ABC, CBS, even FOX affiliates, many of them would have no problems taking the money. [The irony is, that those same ads Charter refused to allow, would end up on Charter- by way of that station being on the cable line-up. ]

The main reason why companies like Antennas Direct want to advertise on Charter cable (channels) is because it costs a lot less to advertise on cable channels thru the local cable co, vs (full-power) OTA stations...while still reaching a large portion of the local TV watchers...

LightS
Premium
join:2005-12-17
Greenville, TX
reply to me1212

"Good TV" is subjective. I personally can't stand The Walking Dead. If I could, I'd love HBO only so I can watch Game Of Thrones lol.

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5
reply to bobjohnson

said by bobjohnson:

Yep, they can't pay for advertising but now a lot of people will know about them for free. Way to stick it to em Charter.

Actually MOST people won't know about the ad blocking by Charter. And MOST people won't care. Anyway, Charter has the right to refuse ads that would be bad for their business.

camper
Premium
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT
Reviews:
·Comcast

Another reason for more OTA is...

... the proliferation of sub-channels now that the TV broadcast world has gone digital. For example, WPIX in New York City now broadcasts, in addition to the WPIX main channel, AntennaTV and ThisTV on sub-channels.

Another local station carries the 24-hour news channel from Japan in English (NHK Newsline) on a sub-channel.

Broadcast television has changed since the conversion to digital broadcasting, and that change has allowed a far wider range of content to be broadcast.

I know two people who ditched their cable and put up an antenna once they discovered the number of different channels they can now receive OTA.

battleop

join:2005-09-28
reply to cdru

Some new form of war driving?

bobjohnson
Premium
join:2007-02-03
Orlando, FL
reply to FFH

Way to speak for MOST people. That's a big assumption.

Simba7
I Void Warranties

join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT
reply to Rekrul

said by Rekrul:

Antenna reception is still extremely flaky. My friend dumped cable a few years ago and put up an antenna. He's always having problems with it. In bad weather, he sometimes loses channels. He's always replacing the connectors because they get wet and start affecting the image quality. Where the old analog system would just give you a poor picture if there were reception problems, digital becomes completely unwatchable.

Looks like someone doesn't know how to set up an antenna or how to properly connect Coax cable.
--
Bresnan 30M/5M | CenturyLink 5M/896K
MyWS[PnmIIX3@3.2G,8G RAM,500G+1.5T+2T HDDs,Win7]
MyLaptop[Asus G53SX,32GB RAM,2x750GB HDD,Win7]
WifeWS[A64@2G,2G RAM,120G HDD,Win7]
Router[PE1750,4G RAM,3x36G HDD,2xIntel Pro/1000+GT Quad Port,Gentoo]

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7
reply to battleop

said by battleop:

Some new form of war driving?

War driving at least can have a little reward, internet service. Driving around and finding that "1234 Main Street has an OTA antenna" just ain't that exciting.

aaronwt
Premium
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA

2 edits
reply to Rekrul

said by Rekrul:

said by viperpa33s:

Someone didn't have their system installed properly. I installed my two antennas nine years ago outside my condo, with a pre-amp mounted on one. I've never had any issues with connectors going bad or channels going out from bad weather.

Even in the early seventies, we never had any issues when bad weather came through at my parents house. The OTA signal was fine. My dad still has a rooftop antenna that has been up for decades. It still works prefectly fine bringing in all of the digital stations.

Brian_M

join:2004-06-19
Manchester, GA

1 recommendation

reply to bobjohnson

You must still be young enough to believe that people are smarter and more informed than they Really are. I remember being that way back in my early-mid 20's. Oh, how things have changed with another 15~20 years of life experience.

Skippy25

join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO
reply to me1212

It's funny you say that being that of the 9 series I have set to record only 1 of them is on a non-OTA channel (White Collar).

Skippy25

Hazelwood, MO
reply to buzz_4_20

Re: I'll Just Leave This Here

Thanks! That gave me a good belly laugh.

Skippy25

Hazelwood, MO
reply to IowaCowboy

Re: OTA is useless

Lets be clear here....

OTA is useless FOR YOU.

Packeteers
Premium
join:2005-06-18
Forest Hills, NY
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Skippy25

skip, beside personal tastes (some lady the other day told me she's so fed up with all forms of content that she keeps the food channel on all day and night), i thought about your point regarding my own torrent habits (torrent is the great equalizer as it makes no distinction from what source is came), and what i noticed is i'm now ignoring more ota show and discovering more cable shows to like. so many ota shows have become so formulaic and repetitive that even with new season content on, i just assume ignore them.

many like me have only known ota, so it takes a while for our ota content familiarity to migrate over to cable show content exploration. for example, i recently discovered "boardwalk empire" - and now i can't get enough of it. probably the best litmus test on how for me cable content has surpassed ota content is; if i was forced to limit my viewing time to only one hour per day, most of those hours each week would be spent on cable content - think about it