spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-04-02 08:22:05: Back in May of 2011 we were the first to exclusively report that AT&T would be imposing usage caps on the company's DSL and U-Verse users. ..

prev page · 1 · 2 · 3

WHT

join:2010-03-26
Rosston, TX
kudos:5
reply to rolande

Re: AT&T DSL Rebranded as uVerse

I'm referring to the semantics.

AT&T claimed DSL was a dead end product.
»AT&T CEO Calls DSL 'Obsolete'
said by karl Bode :
Speaking at the National Association of Regulatory Utility Commissioners summer meeting in Los Angeles, AT&T CEO Randall Stephenson made a rather interesting statement for the CEO of a company that sells DSL service: he called the technology "obsolete. ... Stephenson effectively argued that his own company is obsolete. "
It would be problematic for AT&T to continue selling "DSL" as an admitted obsolete product. So they rebranded single copper pair DSL as uVerse.

A subtle semantic shift, but with uVerse being described to the public as a high-speed nirvana, consumers will think they really are getting something new that is faster, when they aren't.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to FifthE1ement

Re: Comcast is looking pretty good standing next to ATT, lol!

said by FifthE1ement:

It's really hard to bash Comcast when I'm getting 55MB/down and 11MB/up for only $70 a month!

In San Jose, California the price is:

Comcast

Double Play Internet+Voice is:

Comcast

Triple is:

Comcast

For the money the fastest you can get it DSL 6.0 from ATT (old Bellsouth area). Comcast blows that away!

$75+ is a tad pricey for me. For the price of "Performance" (at the end of the promotion):

Comcast

I get ADSL2+ 15.0 from Sonic.net, LLC:
                                  RECEIPT

Sonic.net, Inc.
     2260 Apollo Way
     Santa Rosa, CA 95407
     support@sonic.net

Due Date: 2013-03-20
                                       Service from 2013-03-20 to 2013-04-20
     For:
     NormanS <********@sonic.net>
     Retired
     <Address redacted>
     Email account *********2                             0.00          0.00  
     Invoice to email ********@sonic.net                  0.00          0.00  
>>>> DNS [%My_Domain%]                                    1.95          1.95  
     Fusion Broadband - Single Line -                    39.95         39.95  
       STI-00nnnnn-0
     Fusion Broadband Information - STI-00nnnnn-0         0.00          0.00  
       Data $19.97 Voice $19.98
     Voice Federal Subscriber Line Charge Fee             6.50          6.50  
     Voice Federal Universal Service Fund Fee             2.25          2.25  
     Voice California Lifeline Telephone Service          0.15          0.15  
       Surcharge
     Voice California Deaf and Disabled Telecom           0.03          0.03  
       Program Surcharge
     Voice California High Cost Fund-A Surcharge          0.05          0.05  
     Voice California High Cost Fund-B Surcharge          0.04          0.04  
     Voice California Teleconnect Fund Surcharge          0.08          0.08  
     Voice California Advanced Services Fund              0.02          0.02  
       Surcharge
     Voice California 911 Emergency Surcharge             0.07          0.07  
     Voice San Jose Utility Users Tax                     1.23          1.23  
>>>> Fusion IP address space 173.228.nnn.nnn/32 -         0.00          0.00  
       STI-0067369-0
     Fusion Phone Service - <# Redacted>                  0.00          0.00  
     Voice California Public Utility Commission           0.02          0.02  
       User Fee
     Voice FCC Interstate Telecom Service                 0.05          0.05  
       Provider Fee
     Property Tax Allotment Surcharge                     0.26          0.26  
     Voice Regulatory Recovery Surcharge                  0.52          0.52  
<<<< Modem Equipment Rental Fee                           6.50          6.50  
     Credit Prorate 2013-03-20 to 2013-03-09 for          0.04cr        0.04cr
       Property Tax Allotment Surcharge
     Credit Prorate 2013-03-20 to 2013-03-09 for          0.79cr        0.79cr
       Voice Federal Universal Service Fund Fee
     Credit Prorate 2013-03-20 to 2013-03-09 for          0.13cr        0.13cr
       Voice Regulatory Recovery Surcharge
     Credit Prorate 2013-03-20 to 2013-03-09 for          0.43cr        0.43cr
       Voice San Jose Utility Users Tax
     Charge Prorate 2013-03-09 to 2013-03-20 for          0.09          0.09  
       Property Tax Allotment Surcharge
     Charge Prorate 2013-03-09 to 2013-03-20 for          0.80          0.80  
       Voice Federal Universal Service Fund Fee
     Charge Prorate 2013-03-09 to 2013-03-20 for          0.18          0.18  
       Voice Regulatory Recovery Surcharge
     Charge Prorate 2013-03-09 to 2013-03-20 for          0.44          0.44  
       Voice San Jose Utility Users Tax

Total:    59.79

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

>>>> Features not available with Comcast residential service.
<<<< I am exploring an apparent policy change which would allow me to return their RG in exchange to drop the fee.

On the one hand, 50 Mbps can probably be said to "blow away" even Sonic.net "Fusion" 15 Mbps.

On the other hand, unlike naked Comcast Blast, I get local and LD calling, value added call features, DNS for my domain, a static IP address, and control of the rDNS.

And an extra $15 a month for anime and manga.

For the money, I can live with "slow", when "slow" is fast enough for my use of the Internet.

(If Comcast were to offer "Double Play Performance" (Internet+Voice) with all the features of Sonic.net "Fusion", I might reconsider.)

--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to WHT

said by WHT:

It would be problematic for AT&T to continue selling "DSL" as an admitted obsolete product. So they rebranded single copper pair DSL as uVerse.

They did not. If you have "single pair" legacy ADSL (ATM+PPPoE), you do not have U-verse.

If you have "single pair" U-verse-only service, you have IPDSL (ADSL2+/PTM/802.1x auth) service (in some rare cases, could be VDSL service), which is very different from legacy ADSL.
--
Norman

DWN2DV8

@sbcglobal.net

Just got U-Verse Internet, have had DSL for three years

8:50PM, 04APR2013, Orlando FL
While on the phone to disconnect my DSL (was going to switch to BrightHouse), the guy sold me on 12dn/1.5up for $51/mo no contract. I bit. I literally just set up the new modem and came here to speed test.
But while on phone with ATT guy, he mentioned that they are trying to phase out the older DSL because it cannot accomplish speeds that the newer equipment can.
On U-Verse I just now got 7.6down, 1.3 up. Faster than brighthouse. And on par with pricing. Using single pair, no bonding. They offer it though.

DWN2DV8

@bhn.net

AT&T jacking up prices?? Not in Orlando.

I have not seen any of that happening. In fact, I just went to cancel them in favor of BrightHouse (they offer 10dn/1up for around 52/mo with phone). My HOA provides basic cable and I dont want any hassle. I also recently got in to video editing/uploading for some clients so upload speed became a thing, which is why I was ditching DSL (5dn/468k up). On the U-Verse (just internet, no TV for $51/mo), I literally JUST hooked up the new modem - which took all of about 5 minutes including initialization and account setup - got 7.6m down, 1.3m up!
Happy? Yeah.

ecn27
Premium
join:2003-09-27
Belleville, IL

Uverse capping

We just had our DSL changed to Uverse due to "problems" as defined by AT&T. As part of the online registration process, we noted that AT&T will cap the 6 Mbps service at 250 Gb per month. We will be paying $51/month (up from $43).

davidhoffman
Premium
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA
kudos:3
reply to BiggA

Re: dsl users have a choice on what dsl provider they use.

Wow! Am I understanding your statement correctly? All of CT residences are capable of an easy connection to hybrid fiber coaxial cable HSI with just a regular service call, as long as they are connected to the regular electricity grid. Even if they are also required to be in a regular POTS service area that would be amazing. I must be missing something.

BiggA

join:2005-11-23
EARTH
AFAIK, everyone in CT is provided cable to the edge of their property, so the only time they would have to build out is if they have a ridiculous driveway, and every case I've ever heard puts that being done at the MSO's expense, I'm not sure how much the cost is. I'm sure there are exceptions, like islands, but in general, that's the case. The franchises were done by town, and to do that town meant that town, not some parts of it. There might be some requirement like X houses per cable mile, but in CT, that would effectively be the same as EVERYWHERE, as we have a high density overall. HFC is just a given here. TVC, a local overbuilder is also 100% overbuilt, I don't know how that works for MDU's, but at least in the complex I'm in, we can get either, and AFAIK, it is DPUC mandated to offer the tenants either. That, and every system has PEG channels, DPUC mandated that the cable provider charge and pay for, and allocate access at the same level as other channels.

WHT

join:2010-03-26
Rosston, TX
kudos:5
reply to NormanS

said by NormanS:

said by WHT:

They did not. If you have "single pair" legacy ADSL (ATM+PPPoE), you do not have U-verse.

Again...In Oklahoma you can no longer order the DSL product by name. AT&T only offers the uVerse product, even if it is single pair copper. It was a name rebranding of their single pair DSL.

/edit to add
Buddy of mine had the DSL product for sometime and was listed as DSL on the monthly billing. Around first of the year, the word DSL was replaced with uVerse. He still has the same DSL modem he's had for three years.

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
said by WHT:

Again...In Oklahoma you can no longer order the DSL product by name. AT&T only offers the uVerse product, even if it is single pair copper. It was a name rebranding of their single pair DSL.

/edit to add
Buddy of mine had the DSL product for sometime and was listed as DSL on the monthly billing. Around first of the year, the word DSL was replaced with uVerse. He still has the same DSL modem he's had for three years.

So just what modem does your body have? In the legacy SBC region ADSL2/2+ was never offered. Furthermore, last I checked a former residence, AT&T offered both legacy ADSL and U-verse HSI.

Here is the official FAQ:

»IP-DSLAM FAQ

U-verse HSI is ADSL2+ over a PTM network with 802.1x authentication.

AT&T High Speed DSL is ADSL over an ATM network with PPPoE authentication.

The modems are not interchangeable. The services are as different as a Ford Escalade and a Ford Thunderbird.

Again ... AT&T U-verse HSI is not AT&T High Speed DSL "re-branded"!
--
Norman