spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-04-01 14:39:45: Consumer Reports has released their annual rankings of the best providers when it comes to triple play services. ..

silbaco
Premium
join:2009-08-03
USA

Mediacom

Well not much of a surprise. Mediacom has been a joke in their service areas around here for years, although less recently (thanks to Centurylink).

Did ViaSat get a 57 or 47? I am confused as to why they were listed twice. Either way, it has to be higher than HughesNet got or would have gotten if they were not listed.

baineschile
2600 ways to live
Premium
join:2008-05-10
Sterling Heights, MI

1 recommendation

Full

Anyone have the full rankings? Wanted to see everything, but one has to subscribe to them

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

3 recommendations

said by baineschile:

Anyone have the full rankings? Wanted to see everything, but one has to subscribe to them

Each of the ratings, but to see those at the bottom, you have to scroll on iPad; capture another pic; and that was too much work for me. But you can see the leaders in every category.

PaulGo

join:2005-01-29
Gaithersburg, MD
reply to baineschile
Also a way many consumers can save money is not to get triple play but just get a bundle of TV and Internet. Ooma was rated the top telephone VOiP provider by Consumer Reports and in many instances was as good as or better than Cable providers. I found a considerable savings by switching to Ooma since just the taxes and fees that Cable providers charge is far in excess of what Ooma charges. In my area I pay less than $4.00 per month in taxes and fees while for my cable provider it was closer to $10 per month plus even in a bundle the cost of telephone service is at least $20 per month after the promotional period expires.

tmc8080

join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·ooma
·Optimum Online
·Verizon FiOS
said by PaulGo:

Also a way many consumers can save money is not to get triple play but just get a bundle of TV and Internet. Ooma was rated the top telephone VOiP provider by Consumer Reports and in many instances was as good as or better than Cable providers. I found a considerable savings by switching to Ooma since just the taxes and fees that Cable providers charge is far in excess of what Ooma charges. In my area I pay less than $4.00 per month in taxes and fees while for my cable provider it was closer to $10 per month plus even in a bundle the cost of telephone service is at least $20 per month after the promotional period expires.

Don't forget the possible number portability co$t to switch service providers in many cases are surcharged in the amount of $40. With Ooma, you just plug in w/ your new ISP and it's done. Provided you have reliable cell for 911, that's the way to go.

The bigger problem is if you want stand-alone internet, not even cable companies want to offer you a discount for switching anymore for just one service. Plus the price & offerings have been getting anti-competitive in the last 2 years in particular despite the way off in the distance glimmer of Google fiber passing a few hunreds thousand homes. The attidue of the ISP is to gouge everybody if the cheapskates refuse to buy phone & video from them in a bundle and use their internet to get those services free or cheap.

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

DirecTV is better than Comast

I had DirecTV from 2006 to 2010. I made the mistake of switching the TV back to Comcast as they offered what seemed to be a better deal but I like the DirecTV better so I switched back with a VZ/DirecTV offer for phone and TV. I'm keeping Comcast for Internet.

One of the reasons I won't cut the cord is my desire for news programming like Fox News and The Weather Channel.

XAgent99X

join:2009-11-24
Blue Island, IL

This is an actual speed test I just ran on at&t DSL

yet they insist there is nothing wrong with my internet every time I call to complain
»www.speedtest.net/result/2615682825.png

silbaco
Premium
USA
reply to tmc8080

Re: Full

Google Fiber has taken years to roll out in Kansas City, and that was the city with the least red tape and cheapest build out. At this rate they won't be in a second city for years, let alone a serious build.

aerith
Premium
join:2008-12-31
Milpitas, CA

One BAH, in terms of the Internet Rankings

I dispute Earthlink (for Comcrap Connections) being 3rd, because even though I can get Comcrap, it's not available in "Silicon Valley"(aka Silicon Wasteland, in terms of internet options). Earthlink (for Comcrap Connections) have a 250gb cap, and it's only available for NE USA (aka New Jersey, Massachusetts).

"Also, our ratings...show that most people have at least one decent choice in telecom." so says Paul Reynolds, NOT in "Silicon Valley" (aka Silicon Wasteland, in terms of internet options,) do you see AT&T or Comcrap in the top ten, NOPE!!!

Due to possible copyright issues, I can't release the rankings for what "Silicon Valley" (aka Silicon Wasteland, in terms of internet options,) ISP options, in terms where they are ranked in this study, but we all know they are NOT in the top 10, so [censored] you Paul Reynolds.

If you want to know where your ISP is, search the following:

consumer reports library

There's one more word you'll have to enter, but it could result in piracy.

YukonHawk

join:2001-01-07
Patterson, NY
reply to FFH

Just wish Comcast numbers weren't so sucky!

BiggA

join:2005-11-23
EARTH

As usual, CR is worthless

They have U-Verse rated over Comcast? Seriously?

Not everyone is stuck on these crappy options. Everyone here in CT who is subscribing to DSL could have cable. Here in Groton, everyone has two cable companies, and some also have DSL and/or U-Verse.

Switched

@sigecom.net
reply to tmc8080

Standalone Internet here with WOW. We pay $40/mo., which is the price for the first year for 15/2 service. Switched from Insight/Time Warner because they kept upping the price- 11% increase first year and then 8% the second year. Switching every year or two takes care of this inflation somewhat. It seems they (cable companies) won't do business for less than this price floor because they also offer 2/1 for $40/month. We would switch to a standalone 5-7/1 plan if they offered it for $20-$30/mo.

As far as quality, WOW had a line problem in our neighborhood and it took them a week to fix it. But fix it they did, and they also credited our account for the week of sporadic disruptions. All is good now on WOW and I believe their Internet service is slightly better than TW with lower pings on the speed tests.

silbaco
Premium
USA
reply to BiggA

Re: As usual, CR is worthless

Consumer Reports is biased garbage and often times technically incompetent. Always has been.

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

This is the compiled OPINION of....

...84,000 CR users who choose to answer the annual questionnaire, a minute sample of the hundreds of millions of telecom users nationwide.
It is impossible for it to be a truly representative sample.

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
said by tshirt:

...84,000 CR users who choose to answer the annual questionnaire, a minute sample of the hundreds of millions of telecom users nationwide.

Wrong.
The sample size is statistically significant with a low error %.

ilikeme
I live in a van down by the river.
Premium
join:2002-08-27
Sugar Land, TX
Reviews:
·Vonage
reply to IowaCowboy

Re: DirecTV is better than Comast

said by IowaCowboy:

I had DirecTV from 2006 to 2010. I made the mistake of switching the TV back to Comcast as they offered what seemed to be a better deal but I like the DirecTV better so I switched back with a VZ/DirecTV offer for phone and TV. I'm keeping Comcast for Internet.

Agreed. My parents have DirecTV and have had Comcast, Dish, and U-Verse in the past. DirecTV beats all of them. Comcast was overpriced and went out frequently. U-Verse was constantly cutting in and out, and Dish was OK, but DirecTV has better PQ and customer service. They still use U-Verse for internet and home phone as Comcast is way overpriced and tends to go out more.

At my place I have Verizon FIOS and it beats all of them.
--

Fiber Optics is the future of high-speed internet access. Stop by the BBR Fiber Optic Forum

SJTech

join:2013-01-28
reply to aerith

Re: One BAH, in terms of the Internet Rankings

really dude, you speeds just doubled on your "Comcrap Connections". Thing only thing crappy is your BS attitude

en103

join:2011-05-02
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to FFH

Re: This is the compiled OPINION of....

The point is, that it is a sample, and may represent many users, but like just about any service in this country, it varies a LOT by location.

Eg. My AT&T DSL service would suck if I still had it (capped at 3Mbps ), yet a few blocks away they would have excellent service with an RT.

The opposite might be said for Uverse, as I am about 12 houses from the VRAD, while others may be too far away.

84,000 out of 300 million may be a decent statistic, IF service was consistent for every user.

jkauff

@verizon.net
Comcast keeps sending me mail telling me how much my FIOS sucks and what a great deal they'll give me to switch ("After promotional period, standard overpriced rates will apply"). I don't even open them, just laugh as I toss them in the recycle bin.

Bob61571

join:2008-08-08
Washington, IL
Reviews:
·MTCO Communicati..
·DIRECTV
·Frontier Communi..

Correction: HughesNet is worst ISP at 47, NOT ViaSat

From above story: "AT&T DSL (62), Fairpoint DSL (61), ViaSat satellite service (57), Mediacom (57), and ViaSat (47) were the survey's five worst-performing providers. "

Per Consumer Reports, May 2013, page 25, HughesNet is worst Internet provider at Reader Score of 47....

Packeteers
Premium
join:2005-06-18
Forest Hills, NY

2 edits
reply to FFH

Earthlink LOL

Earthlink only resells other last mile ISP's like TWCable, so there must be a lot of unjustified TWCable haters out there to give them a lower Internet Service rating.

aerith
Premium
Milpitas, CA
reply to SJTech

Re: One BAH, in terms of the Internet Rankings

Who cares IF Comcrap doubled my speeds??? IF Comcrap DECIDE to implement one of the two usage plans (or a hybrid of both):

»customer.comcast.com/help-and-su···aunching

Then Verizon FIOS (something the Silicon Wasteland SHOULD have had already, the Fiber Optic part at least, but not from Verizon) would be a better deal.

Remember, YOU live in the Silicon Wasteland, and we all know the Chattanooga can now tease us, on how fast their internet connection is, and how much it's worth it (Sources: CBS This Morning Feb 28, 2013, »stopthecap.com/2012/03/28/americ···ga-tenn/ )

Bear in mind that Service Satisfaction for Verizon FIOS is higher than Comcrap. One comment just recently here is throwing away all the Comcrap junk mail that person receives, because that person has Verizon FIOS.

UPDATE, well one website has decided to "spill the beans" over the internet rankings:

»stopthecap.com/2013/04/01/consum···e-sucks/

However, I do find it intriguing that AT&T U-Hearse (someone coined that term here) is much higher than Comcrap, yet their non-promotional pricing is similar, and U-Hearse now has much slower speeds than Comcrap.

Sadly, now Comcrap has a "MONOPOLY" (in terms of internet service, why in quotes, because if one wants speeds higher than 24 mbps, then there you go) in Northern California, than in Long Beach, CA, (which after visiting the city, is a MUCH BETTER city, than ANY Northern California city, in terms of infrastructure) where Verizon FIOS and Charter are somewhat competitive.

Now yes, even though Comcrap's non-promotional pricing can compete with Verizon FIOS non-promotional pricing, in terms of download speed, there are some people here at DSLReports that want faster upload.

aerith
Premium
Milpitas, CA
reply to IowaCowboy

Re: DirecTV is better than Comast

Well, if you like news programming, Dish Network seems to be a better choice for now, because I don't know if The Blaze will be on Directv.

As well, Dish Network has Russia Today, but one talk show host who has appeared on Russia Today before, said he's not been invited back on, because of the network's tilt.

I do not like Directv, too expensive for the wallet.

There is a secret about Dish Network though, but I can't tell what it is, but I really can't give any hints this time.

ilikeme
I live in a van down by the river.
Premium
join:2002-08-27
Sugar Land, TX
Reviews:
·Vonage
reply to jkauff

Re: This is the compiled OPINION of....

said by jkauff :

Comcast keeps sending me mail telling me how much my FIOS sucks and what a great deal they'll give me to switch ("After promotional period, standard overpriced rates will apply"). I don't even open them, just laugh as I toss them in the recycle bin.

Charter does the same thing here. They sometimes even downplay it as DSL or use the basic FIOS option and then brag about how their speed is 30Mbps! Sorry Charter, the average FIOS speed around here is 50Mbps and mine is 75. Try again once you increase your speeds without increasing your prices and fix your crappy system around here.
--

Fiber Optics is the future of high-speed internet access. Stop by the BBR Fiber Optic Forum

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to FFH
said by FFH:

said by tshirt:

Wrong.
The sample size is statistically significant with a low error %.

....CR users who choose to answer...
Self selection rarely give a true picture.

BiggA

join:2005-11-23
EARTH
reply to silbaco

Re: As usual, CR is worthless

Yup.