dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-04-06 14:53:05: Open thread for the masses!. ..

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

Final Four this weekend

Go Louisville

»www.sbnation.com/2013/4/ ··· -preview

hey hey hey
@charter.com

hey hey hey

Anon

Re: Final Four this weekend

Once Florida lost in the Elite 8( for the 3rd straight time )I'm no longer interested.

FFH5
Premium Member
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

Louisville dug themselves out of a deep hole to beat Cinderella team Wichita State late in 2nd half. Wichita State was cruising along until Louisville defensive pressure caused a bunch of WS turnovers. Well that Louisville win keeps me in a couple BB pools - and I might even win if Louisville loses in the final.

mustang50
Premium Member
join:2005-05-06
Roseville, MI

mustang50 to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5
GO BLUE !
bugabuga
join:2004-06-10
Austin, TX

bugabuga

Austin is getting Google Fiber :)

Local news KVUE confirmed with city sources that Austin is getting Google Fiber Wonder when/what areas. Hope Time Warner Cable is panicking (but will be glad my 2010 wish came true)

KVUE report: »www.kvue.com/news/Google ··· 291.html

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium Member
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK
Netgear WNDR3700v2
Zoom 5341J

KrK

Premium Member

Re: Austin is getting Google Fiber :)

Oh that is some epic good news. Not only for Austin, obviously but because it means Google believes that Google Fiber is a viable profitable venture going forward AND WILL NOW BE EXPANDING TO OTHER CITIES.

I can't tell you how GREAT this news is. Even if you are not a fan of Google Fiber, their mere presence means other Internet providers will upgrade, lower prices, and provide better service as well as stop doing things you hate and start doing things you like. It's call competition, *REAL* competition, and this is VERY GOOD NEWS.
bugabuga
join:2004-06-10
Austin, TX

bugabuga

Yep. It also explains that letter TWC sent me with "Oh your promotion is extended for 3 more months! And we're bumping up speeds!"

KrK
Premium Member
Tulsa, OK

KrK

Premium Member

Wow, what a co-incidence! Just out of the goodness of their hearts, eh?

MeInDallas
join:2001-08-17
Dallas, TX

MeInDallas to bugabuga

to bugabuga
said by bugabuga:

Yep. It also explains that letter TWC sent me with "Oh your promotion is extended for 3 more months! And we're bumping up speeds!"

I got the same one the other day lol

workablob
join:2004-06-09
Houston, TX

workablob to bugabuga

to bugabuga
said by bugabuga:

Why did I leave Austin? I can't seem to remember now.

Dave

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
·Comcast XFINITY

IowaCowboy to KrK

Premium Member

to KrK
Maybe Google will be the Bell System of Fiber and expand it nationwide. Then they'll snuff out their competitors and get broken up 83 years later (the time that it took to break up AT&T/Bell System). It would be kind of nice to see Comcast broken up as they are behaving like Ma Bell.

KrK
Premium Member
Tulsa, OK

KrK

Premium Member

More ideally, they'll force competitors to upgrade, and we end up like Korea, and finally take back the Internet future.

Ok, crazy talk, I know... but I can hope.
silbaco
Premium Member
join:2009-08-03
USA

silbaco to KrK

Premium Member

to KrK
Their expansion doesn't mean it will necessarily be profitable. If they expected it to be profitable, they would be rolling it out in many more markets and much more quickly.

My guess is that it is just another trial market and perhaps another attempt to push the incumbents. The uptake is what will determine the profitability of the service and it is still too soon to know how that will work out.

KrK
Premium Member
Tulsa, OK

KrK

Premium Member

Perhaps.... but if things were looking bleak in KC I don't think they would be willing to jump into it again. KC must be shaping up in a way they like.
Ostracus
join:2011-09-05
Henderson, KY

Ostracus to silbaco

to silbaco
Well it benefits Google when it comes to the Net Neutrality issue, and pushes the incumbents closer towards "dumb pipes".
me1212
join:2008-11-20
Lees Summit, MO
·Google Fiber

me1212 to KrK

to KrK
said by KrK:

AND WILL NOW BE EXPANDING TO OTHER CITIES.

This is the best part, hopefully all of the kc merto are gets it, along with all of the austin area and it just keeps growing from there. Sure the two markets may not be that big over all but its a good start. Its also nice to see a company giving the middle of the country some love instead of the coasts.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy to bugabuga

Premium Member

to bugabuga
Bring it to Springfield (MA).

Verizon refuses to deploy FiOS here. And the Boston Metro area does not have FiOS, its in the Boston Suburbs.
Happydude32
Premium Member
join:2005-07-16

Happydude32

Premium Member

said by IowaCowboy:

Bring it to Springfield (MA).

Verizon refuses to deploy FiOS here. And the Boston Metro area does not have FiOS, its in the Boston Suburbs.

Why would you even want Google Fiber or Verizon Fios for that matter? Wasn't it just yesterday when you yourself said that 1 Gbps is overkill for residential use and that no one needs anything faster than a 50 x 10 connection? I mean since youre never going to want or need anything faster as long as you live and youll never have more than 50 GB of file transfer a month, since no residential account should exceed that, than you should be happy with your current Comcast cable modem service for the rest of your life.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
Springfield, MA
·Comcast XFINITY

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

It's not speed that matters to me as much as service quality. 50/10 is fine speed wise but when it cuts out is when I wish Comcast had real competition.

Even a cable TV overbuilder coming to town would be nice. I lived in an area with an overbuilder in town and cable TV is at least $20 per month cheaper in overbuilder towns (I know this firsthand).

My Internet is good when it works but getting them to fix things is as fun as getting teeth pulled. The techs are useless.

If they had competition, things would be better.
Expand your moderator at work

KrK
Premium Member
Tulsa, OK

KrK to bugabuga

Premium Member

to bugabuga
What a let down it would be if the reports are wrong and the press conference is to announce a new Google Campus or something in Austin.

atxneighbor
@reliablehosting.com

atxneighbor to bugabuga

Anon

to bugabuga
i live just across the street from the edge of austin (1000 ft.), so im not sure if it will include us or not.

i would be happy to pay the $300 install fee for regular speed for 7 years - works out to be about $3.57 a month.

this will definitely drive down twc prices!

as for att they might get left in the dust with their so-called pair bonding for 75mbps.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
Springfield, MA
·Comcast XFINITY

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

Hopefully this medication is not counterfeit

Click for full size
I went to CVS and picked up a prescription that I've been taking for years except the nurse practitioner changed the dose. The medication usually comes in a manufacturer's bottle as they are packaged in bottles of thirty and I take one a day in the morning. It is the medication I use to control the symptoms of Autism.

When I went to pick it up at the usual CVS and I noticed the bag did not feel right so I checked to make sure I had the right medication (because pharmacists/pharmacy techs sometimes make mistakes, many that are deadly) and I noticed they gave me the correct medication except it was packaged in a blister pack and dispensed in a Baggie.

Hopefully this is the legitimate medication and not counterfeit because it costs my insurance company over $600 (almost $900 when I was on the higher dose) for a thirty day supply.

FFH5
Premium Member
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

Re: Hopefully this medication is not counterfeit

said by IowaCowboy:

I went to CVS and picked up a prescription that I've been taking for years except the nurse practitioner changed the dose. The medication usually comes in a manufacturer's bottle as they are packaged in bottles of thirty and I take one a day in the morning. It is the medication I use to control the symptoms of Autism.

When I went to pick it up at the usual CVS and I noticed the bag did not feel right so I checked to make sure I had the right medication (because pharmacists/pharmacy techs sometimes make mistakes, many that are deadly) and I noticed they gave me the correct medication except it was packaged in a blister pack and dispensed in a Baggie.

Hopefully this is the legitimate medication and not counterfeit because it costs my insurance company over $600 (almost $900 when I was on the higher dose) for a thirty day supply.

Is the pill the same color? And is the code embossed on the pill the same? If it is, it may just be different packaging. Even generic versions of a drug have different codes embossed on them. You can go here to check the code on the pill to see if it is the same drug and the same dosage level you were prescribed:
»www.rxlist.com/pill-iden ··· icle.htm
»pharmasecure.com/blog/20 ··· -online/

Getting it from CVS tremendously increases odds it is NOT counterfeit. Online pharmacies are more likely to sell counterfeits.

DeathK
Premium Member
join:2002-06-16
Cincinnati, OH

DeathK to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy
Blister packs for prescription meds usually wind up being samples that the drug companies give out to doctors/pharmacies/etc. It's probably all they had so that's what they gave you. My mom used to get a bunch of samples of the medication she was on from her doctor. They were blister packs.
FTWalker
join:2011-03-10

FTWalker to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy
Another possibility is that it came from a "stock" or "bulk" pack, as opposed to a "dose" pack.
Where I'm at, we usually have both (stock & dose) packs. We send out the dose packs for the common scripts (1/day x 30 days, for ex.), and draw from the stock packs for the others.
As someone else said, as long as the description and imprints are the same, it -should- be fine.

FFH5
Premium Member
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

Ex News Corp exec bids $500m for Hulu

»www.reuters.com/article/ ··· 20130405

Former News Corp president Peter Chernin has bid around $500 million for Hulu...

Chernin, a former Hulu board member who now runs a media holding company, is among those interested, the sources said on condition of anonymity because the bidding is not public. It is not known if other bidders have come forward.

Chernin left News Corp in 2009 to assemble The Chernin Group, whose holdings span film and TV production and owns stakes in high-tech companies, including online radio service Pandora Media Inc.

Hulu's owners have for years pondered the direction of a service that now has more than 3 million subscribers for its premium offering and generated revenue of about $700 million last year.

A third owner, NBC parent Comcast Corp, gave up corporate control as a condition of buying NBC Universal.

I just find in humorous that 3 million people are paying for Hulu service.

hey hey hey
@charter.com

hey hey hey

Anon

Re: Ex News Corp exec bids $500m for Hulu

said by FFH5:

I just find in humorous that 3 million people are paying for Hulu service.

Is paying $8a month for Hulu plus any more laughable than people that pay over $60 a month for cable TV when basically there is nothing but crap and commercials on?

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
Springfield, MA
·Comcast XFINITY

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

Got the phone portion of my DirecTV/VZ bundle installed.

Click for full size
Phone box
Click for full size
DirecTV Splitter
Tech took out some splice boxes and consolidated everything into a new NID so our phone and the neighbor's phone (if the new neighbor is going to get a landline) comes in through this box in my basement.

The DirecTV gear is in the basement as well (power inserter and splitter). The ground block is outside. I would have liked him to put the ground block next to the cable ground in the basement next to the electrical panel but he said it must be grounded outside and the cable line is a code violation.
cpalindc
Premium Member
join:2011-06-05
Washington, DC

cpalindc

Premium Member

Earthlink/Mindspring problem?

I can't connect to Earthlink/Mindspring mail servers via pop or web. Even the dns lookup for pop.mindspring.com, or mindspring.com alone fails to return anything. This is happening both on Comcast in Washington, DC and Suddenlink in Arkansas, so I don't think it's an ISP routing problem...Anybody else seeing (or not seeing) this?
cpalindc

cpalindc

Premium Member

Re: Earthlink/Mindspring problem?

I guess they had a major outage; @EarthLink twitter feed started posting about it an hour ago with many area codes DSL service down. However, everything just came back up a few minutes ago, so all is well....for NOW...

Jeff
Connoisseur of leisurely things
Premium Member
join:2002-12-24
GMT -5

Jeff

Premium Member

Silicondust + Fios

I'm very close to pulling the trigger on a $150 Silicondust unit (the 3 tuner one needing a cablecard) and use it with my Fios service.

Reason: Verizon's iPad app sucks, and with my on my laptop all over the house and outside, I'd like to watch TV where I please without buying a new TV and renting a box.

Overall, how do you all like the Silicondust units? I see mostly good reviews.
gaforces (banned)
United We Stand, Divided We Fall
join:2002-04-07
Santa Cruz, CA

gaforces (banned)

Re: Silicondust + Fios

I've had the prime for over a year now. I'm using it with wireless so its a little flaky but it usually works. Wireless network interference from other equipment is a problem. It would probably be better with the giga lan, as that's whats recommended by sd.
The software is funky mostly because of Windows Media Center BS DRM. If I lose the signal for a short period of time I have to reload the sd software.
The other choice is the ceton, haven't tried that one.
mgamer20o0
join:2003-12-01
Norwalk, CA

mgamer20o0 to Jeff

to Jeff
said by Jeff:

I'm very close to pulling the trigger on a $150 Silicondust unit (the 3 tuner one needing a cablecard) and use it with my Fios service.

Reason: Verizon's iPad app sucks, and with my on my laptop all over the house and outside, I'd like to watch TV where I please without buying a new TV and renting a box.

Overall, how do you all like the Silicondust units? I see mostly good reviews.

»www.engadget.com/2013/01 ··· with-tr/
i am holding off for the new one. it might cost more but looks like a better option.

Bach
Premium Member
join:2002-02-16
Flint, MI

Bach

Premium Member

Oh, the irony...

Memory 4... less?

Duramax08
To The Moon
Premium Member
join:2008-08-03
San Antonio, TX

Duramax08

Premium Member

Re: Oh, the irony...

Yeah, the ram prices are insane. Then I think about it, 3 years ago I bought a 2x2GB set for $99. So it isnt too bad.

Damn smartphones taking all the resources......

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

2 edits

skeechan

Premium Member

Thoughts?

Jealous of the other markets with 150Mb Ultimate already rolled out. Come on Cox, where B my upgrade?!?

Great weather but have to work on Saturday...sucks.

String cheese is good and reduced fat Pringles are crunchier than the regular ones. Same for Cheez-its.

New Perfume single is coming out in a couple of months, must preorder.

Oh wait...it said BEST thoughts.

amenite
The Soylent - It's People
Premium Member
join:2002-11-21
Ridgewood, NJ

amenite

Premium Member

Kindle Fire HD - Keep an eye out for refurbs

Bought a 32 GB large size model for GF for birthday (no 4G). First one doesn't charge. Amazon ships a replacement (and free charger brick - good on you Amazon) that charges OK but has flaky power switch. Third unit to arrive tomorrow and hopefully third time is the charm.

There's a reason they recommend their charger. It puts out 1.85 amps and to get a full charge in 4 hours you need all that juice. If you're a buyer jump on the 1/2 price charger at checkout - you'll be glad you did.

chip89
Premium Member
join:2012-07-05
Columbia Station, OH

chip89

Premium Member

Re: Kindle Fire HD - Keep an eye out for refurbs

I have kindle fire hd I went out to the store this week to pick up a kindle powerfast because without it takes forever to charge with a regular usb charger the kindle powerfast is much better.

FFH5
Premium Member
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

Planning for retirement? Healthcare $ could be overlooked

»news.morningstar.com/art ··· d=589929

A recent survey found more than half of retirees and those still saving for retirement greatly underestimate the out-of-pocket tab.

Estimating how much one needs to have saved up in order to retire can be difficult. But among the most important--and most overlooked--aspects of retirement planning is health-care costs, which can have a dramatic impact on a retiree's financial picture.

Past research has also shown that people don't understand the Medicare program and think it will cover more than the 60% of health-care costs than it does. Many of our respondents underestimated the costs of premiums for Medicare Parts B and D and for supplemental coverage. It also seems most people don't fully grasp how much health-care costs, including the portion they will have to pay out-of-pocket, are increasing.

women respondents projected 50% lower lifetime expenditures ($30,000 median estimate of lifetime retiree spending) than their male counterparts ($60,000 median estimates) despite experts' estimates that the typical woman will spend 50% more over her retirement on health-care costs than the typical man.

Perhaps even more importantly, we think that retirees need to be careful when selecting supplemental health coverage--a policy that fills in the Medicare gaps, which 90% of retirees have--that it protects them against catastrophic spending, even if they need to spend a bit more upfront.

Saving for retirement? Then better plan on higher Healtcare costs than you think you will need. Medicare, Obamacare, etc isn't going to cover all your costs.

KrK
Premium Member
Tulsa, OK

KrK

Premium Member

Re: Planning for retirement? Healthcare $ could be overlooked

Medical costs are the single biggest cause of bankruptcy and wealth destruction of the formerly middle-class.
KrK

1 recommendation

KrK

Premium Member

The True Science of Parallel Universes....

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· 2Lz5zmYg

Enjoy

cabana
Department of Adjustments
Mod
join:2000-07-07
New York, NY

cabana

Mod

Re: The True Science of Parallel Universes....

IthinkIamdizzynow
ndwbr
join:2003-07-10
Atlanta, GA

ndwbr to KrK

to KrK
whaaa?
ow, my brain!!

YukonHawk
join:2001-01-07
Patterson, NY

YukonHawk

YO!

It's Saturday...time to relax!

scott2020
join:2008-07-20
MO

scott2020

Cord Cutters aren't real

»cable.tmcnet.com/topics/ ··· wont.htm

Many people say they will, but they don't. I honestly can't see paying $200 a month for cable, but in 2020 dollars that may be a low estimate. I also agree that paying stupid prices like $5.99 for a 24 hour HD rental on Vudu or similar doesn't make sense. They would sell like hot cakes if the price was $2 or less.

••••••••

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
Springfield, MA
·Comcast XFINITY

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

We need bigger buses

It would be nice if the Pioneer Valley Transit Authority (Western Massachusetts) would add some 60' articulated buses to their fleet like the transit authorities have in NYC and Boston. The bus to Holyoke Mall is always standing room only and my days of standing on buses are over after a major ankle injury in Dec 2011.

The largest buses they have in their fleet are 40'. I was up at UMASS the other day and some of the 40' buses they have up there have all the seats facing the aisle so they can cram in more standees.

These buses could be featured in a music video for Weird Al Yankovic's song "Another One Rides The Bus".

FFH5
Premium Member
Tavistock NJ

1 recommendation

FFH5

Premium Member

Re: We need bigger buses

said by IowaCowboy:

my days of standing on buses are over after a major ankle injury in Dec 2011.

Ever consider changing your name to Charlie Brown? You appear to have more ailments than anyone else posting here at Dslreports.

chip89
Premium Member
join:2012-07-05
Columbia Station, OH

chip89

Premium Member

Stop the Canadians!

This is old but it's funny so I fought you guys would want to see You have to go to youtube to see it ( embedding is disabled)

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· 1IiCOJvw

workablob
Houston, TX

workablob

Re: Stop the Canadians!

ROFLMAO!

Thanks,

Dave

miataman
I've attained a PHD in DVR.
Premium Member
join:2010-10-27
Chelmsford, MA

miataman to chip89

Premium Member

to chip89
They're already in Firearms training for the invasion.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· yydrnBWI

workablob
Houston, TX

workablob

The Internet is Back

After dealing with degrading service for the past month + my modem finally decided to stop being sick and died.

This made it easy to troubleshoot.

I took it back to Comcast and after only a 15 minute wait I had a Cisco DPC3008 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem.

My old modem was a 2.0 Thomsen DCM425C.

Solid Connection now.

Woot!

Dave
workablob

workablob

Re: The Internet is Back

It gets better. I removed my SonicWall Soho3 (over 10 years old) as my Internet Router and made my Linksys E1200 the router.

I went from 20Mbps down to 30Mbps.

Upload is unchanged at >5Mbps. I pay for 3Mbps.

Double Woot!

Dave

FFH5
Premium Member
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

HTC One gets glowing review

»www.anandtech.com/show/6 ··· e-review

The HTC One is an incredibly ambitious phone. I can't think of the last time I've been excited not just because I'm reviewing a triple-A handset, but rather because there are innovative new features inside and ambitious risks taken by the OEM. In the case of the One, there are a number of them — front facing stereo speakers, an all metal unibody construction with unique antenna design, display just short of 5.0-inches, and of course the 4.0 megapixel camera with OIS and comparatively huge 2.0 micron pixels. The result is a phone that's not just exciting because it's something new to review, but because it's different and uniquely better for the right reasons.

On the software side, Sense 5 is a much needed remaining of the Sense experience with flatter UI and classier contemporary iconography and typography choices throughout. I think HTC has nailed the industrial design and delivered one of the classiest UI skins I've seen in a long time.

For the HTC One I'm giving our Editors Choice Gold award, which is our second highest award. The One is an incredibly awesome device.

I'm a big fan of the HTC One and can see myself using it for quite a while, even without seeing necessarily everything of its main upcoming contenders. It's a device which amazingly is built to the kind of specifications I'd want from a device — huge emphasis on camera, all metal construction with actively tuned antennas, and a powerful SoC inside.

There is about 17 pages in this review. The above is just a tiny example. Read the whole review.

•••