dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-04-19 08:47:56: Comcast continues to lead the telecom industry push toward IPv6 while many broadband providers nap. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

Mine is still ipv4

Mine is still ipv4.

PapaMidnight
join:2009-01-13
Baltimore, MD

1 recommendation

PapaMidnight

IPv6 Router Comptability

The problem is many consumer routers do not support IPv6. Even those who pfSense, like myself, don't have IPv6 compatibility out the box.

To that point, many devices which support third-party firmware such as DD-WRT and Tomato lack the necessary ROM space to support IPv6.
weaver
join:2001-12-13
New Alexandria, PA

weaver to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy

Re: Mine is still ipv4

I'm one of the 3%. I have a Motorola SB6121, which I own. It went IPV6 when it got a firmware update, maybe a month ago. One of the reasons I bought it was IPV6 compatibility.
axiomatic
join:2006-08-23
Tomball, TX

1 recommendation

axiomatic

IPV6

I am using IPV6 with pfsense in my house. PLEX can use it and so can all my devices that use PLEX but alas Comcast Houston has not deployed it yet. I really have no reason to use it at this point though, more just to learn it.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy to weaver

Premium Member

to weaver

I have a 6120 and an Apple AirPort Extreme router.
doofoo
join:2002-01-21
Upper Marlboro, MD

doofoo

Business Class Static IP Customer

Still IPv4 only.. Way to go Comcast!

AnonMe
@comcastbusiness.net

AnonMe

Anon

Who are the 3%?

Given the lack of CPE support, does that roughly 3% of Comcast's customers have their computers plugged directly into their cable modems with no router or device in between?
40757180 (banned)
join:2009-11-01

40757180 (banned)

IPv6 is not needed

There is currently no need for IPv6 and it will be years if not longer before there is any need. This is being pushed by company's that make computer hardware such as routers.
Happydude32
Premium Member
join:2005-07-16

1 recommendation

Happydude32 to AnonMe

Premium Member

to AnonMe

Re: Who are the 3%?

Every single current model from Linksys is IPv6 Enabled. From their barebones basic $40 router to their $200 AC router, all 7 models are compatible.

XANAVirus
Premium Member
join:2012-03-03
Lavalette, WV

1 recommendation

XANAVirus to 40757180

Premium Member

to 40757180

Re: IPv6 is not needed

So why not just start now anyway?
Why does IPv6 have to be pushed back even further than it should have been implemented?

I say IPv6 is 'needed' but not required right now.

Support for it is important, otherwise we'll never get away from IPv4 as the mainstream protocol (IPv4 will likely always be around in some capacity).

An effort should be made to educate the mainstream consumer about the new IPv6 protocol. Right now, I highly doubt anyone who is computer non-technical knows anything about IPv6 or IPv4.
coreyography
Premium Member
join:2010-01-15
Houston, TX

coreyography

Premium Member

Why not? Security, or potential lack thereof.

IPv6 is a protocol whose security weaknesses really haven't been tested on a widespread basis. I think I'll wait awhile to switch (as in, when I'm forced by my ISP, maybe in 5 or 10 years) and let the first few hundred million pioneers take the arrows in the back.

That, and the fact I have to run dual-stack or one of the other hack transition mechanisms to get to the entire Internet. Not worth my time and worry.
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

1 recommendation

34764170 (banned) to PapaMidnight

to PapaMidnight

Re: IPv6 Router Comptability

said by PapaMidnight:

The problem is many consumer routers do not support IPv6. Even those who pfSense, like myself, don't have IPv6 compatibility out the box.

To that point, many devices which support third-party firmware such as DD-WRT and Tomato lack the necessary ROM space to support IPv6.

More or less every router from the major brands out of the box supports IPv6 now and a lot of the older stuff has firmware upgrades to add support too. pfSense has IPv6 support with their 2.1 release.

Hardware that does not have the ROM space is already at the end of its lifespan or has already passed it. Hardware will be replaced over time with refreshes.

The idea is to roll it out on the network side and have more and more users become v6 enabled as time goes on and that will happen.

34764170 (banned) to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy

said by IowaCowboy:

Mine is still ipv4.

You're in an area being serviced by Cisco CMTS'. That will be v6 enabled later in the year once Comcast rolls out newer firmware for their CMTS'.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

said by 34764170:

said by IowaCowboy:

Mine is still ipv4.

You're in an area being serviced by Cisco CMTS'. That will be v6 enabled later in the year once Comcast rolls out newer firmware for their CMTS'.

Our area is a Motorola area in terms of set-tops.
34764170 (banned)
Etobicoke, ON

1 recommendation

34764170 (banned) to AnonMe

to AnonMe

said by AnonMe :

Given the lack of CPE support, does that roughly 3% of Comcast's customers have their computers plugged directly into their cable modems with no router or device in between?

There is not a lack of CPE support. Almost every router from the major brands has v6 support out of the box now and most of the routers sold over the last 2-3 years has newer firmware with v6 support. ISPs will be rolling out firmware upgrades for their own provided CPE as Comcat has/will be doing.

1 recommendation

34764170 (banned) to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy

said by IowaCowboy:

Our area is a Motorola area in terms of set-tops.

The set-tops in use are not what matters. A lot of MSOs use multiple set-top vendors just as they use multiple modem / gateway vendors. The CMTS vendor is what matters.

1 recommendation

34764170 (banned) to 40757180

to 40757180

said by 40757180:

There is currently no need for IPv6 and it will be years if not longer before there is any need. This is being pushed by company's that make computer hardware such as routers.

Nonsense. 2 of the 4 RIRs have already run out of IPv4 address space and the remaining 2 will be out fairly soon. You don't just flip a switch and expect 100% of the Internet to be enabled over night.

PapaMidnight
Baltimore, MD

1 recommendation

PapaMidnight to 34764170

to 34764170

2.1 is not presently stable; and while it is possible that those devices have reached their EoL, many a consumer likely recently (within the past two years) purchased a Wireless-N consumer router with no IPv6 support.

I also doubt that the average consumer knows what IPv6 (or v4 for that matter) even is. To them, they have perfectly functional devices with no incentive to upgrade.

Since these have ben EoL'd, there is no further development of firmware either by the first party (and these routers, more often than not, do not support an IPv6 capable version of dd-wrt or tomato); and I'm certainly not going to try to tell the average internet user how to switch over to DD-WRT, or convince them they need to spend money preliminarily with a new wifi spec on the horizon and their device is still operational.

Therefore, while it indeed may be the case that newer routers are available with IPv6, the sheer proliferation of IPv4 devices that lack IPv6 support (many of which are still stocked, priced low, and more likely for a consumer to buy at $49.99 than a new model at $89.99) makes deployment en mass difficult without direct ISP intervention or a concerted effort from device manufacturers to deploy firmware updates to older devices (Especially Linksys whose older firmware is riddled with known security holes that remain unpatched).
34764170 (banned)
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned)

You just ignored most of what I said and kept blabbering on.

PapaMidnight
Baltimore, MD

PapaMidnight

Actually, I addressed every single point. I also provided real-world rationale for why your reasoning is not effective.

You chose to see it as a tl;dr and consider it "blabbering" - but to each their own.
PapaMidnight

1 recommendation

PapaMidnight to 40757180

to 40757180

said by 40757180:

There is currently no need for IPv6 and it will be years if not longer before there is any need.

This could not be further from the truth.

As brad has mentioned, APNIC is reassigning /8 level addresses to mitigate the fact that all other blocks have been exhausted, RIPE ran out of available address to allocate in September last year, and ARIN is taking steps for mitigation at this moment.
dwk789
join:2009-01-21
Murfreesboro, TN

dwk789

So perhaps someone can answer a question I have always had about the IPv4/IPv6 transition. Can you not route between the two? How does that work? My thought is if the internet goes all IPv6 can't I still run a private IPv4 network on my side of my internet connection? Won't it continue to just work fine? That being the case do I really ever need IPv6 on my network or replace or upgrade my current equipment? I just ask this as I don't know these answers to these questions and maybe someone can explain how the routing between the two works?

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

skeechan to 34764170

Premium Member

to 34764170
And how many of those blocks are actually being used rather than hoarded?

aefstoggaflm
Open Source Fan
Premium Member
join:2002-03-04
Bethlehem, PA
Linksys E4200
ARRIS SB6141

aefstoggaflm

Premium Member

said by skeechan:

Even if they were returned/sold, how long would that last?

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
AA169|170

skeechan

Premium Member

A long time. It is certainly taking long enough for this supposed end of the Internet world that has been going on for years now.

jjmb
join:2009-12-01
USA

jjmb to PapaMidnight

to PapaMidnight

I worked with pfSense a while ago, they should have a version that supports IPv6 and has been informally tested on the Comcast network.

John

aefstoggaflm
Open Source Fan
Premium Member
join:2002-03-04
Bethlehem, PA
Linksys E4200
ARRIS SB6141

aefstoggaflm to skeechan

Premium Member

to skeechan

said by skeechan:

A long time. It is certainly taking long enough for this supposed end of the Internet world that has been going on for years now.

How long is that long time?

Thanks

jjmb
join:2009-12-01
USA

1 recommendation

jjmb to AnonMe

to AnonMe

The 3% is a pretty even split between standalone computers and routers that support IPv6. There is a shift we are seeing however, meaning more routers appearing compared to standalone computers.

John

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
AA169|170

skeechan to aefstoggaflm

Premium Member

to aefstoggaflm

Years.

anon ipv6
@rcn.com

anon ipv6 to skeechan

Anon

to skeechan
said by skeechan:

And how many are being used internally?

For example, at my work place.
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Users\user-name>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : host-name
   Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . : phi.org
   Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
   IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
   WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
   DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : phi.org
                                       appdev.dom
                                       cltest.dom
                                       ctxdc.dom
                                       messaging.dom
                                       prelude.dom
                                       test.dom
                                       host.dom

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : phi.org
   Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) 82567V-4 Gigabit Network Connect
ion
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 2C-27-D7-**-**-**
   DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
   Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.10.6.74(Preferred)
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
   Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, April 20, 2013 7:03:26 AM
   Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Friday, April 26, 2013 7:03:26 AM
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.10.6.1
   DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.10.6.1
   DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.17.254.11
   NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

C:\Users\user-name>

192.10.6.1 is not NAT and yet it is used internally...
page: 1 · 2 · next