spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-04-23 12:27:15: As noted last week, there is a renewed pressure on broadcasters to either finally offer a la carte channels, or at least channel bundles that are a little more consumer friendly and economical. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · next

inteller
Sociopaths always win.

join:2003-12-08
Tulsa, OK

ESPN is already headed down this road

With WatchESPN they are putting more and more content behind that paywall. ESPN3 was GREAT UNTIL they startedmaking people subscribe to cable and put all the content on WatchESPN.
--
"WHEN THE LAUGH TRACK STARTS THEN THE FUN STARTS!"

Camaro
Question everything
Premium
join:2008-04-05
Westfield, MA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon Wireless..
·Comcast
reply to IowaCowboy

Re: I'm ready to go...

said by IowaCowboy:

Al-a-carte would be a logistical nightmare if we got to choose individual channels as cable companies would have to program each converter for the channels a customer wants.

If this happened by some freak chance I want a complete breakdown of every penny I spend to said channel then we can make informed decisions. For the logistics, the amount of money I get charged they should be bending over backward and forward's for me.

buzz_4_20

join:2003-09-20
Limestone, ME

Does This Mean

I could save $20 by dropping that channel?

NPGMBR

join:2001-03-28
Arlington, VA
reply to tshirt

And while they're at it, why don't they get rid of those useless music channels too. I wonder how much more we'd save if we didn't have to pay the RIAA tax.

Skippy25

join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

1 recommendation

reply to IowaCowboy
I'm pretty sure in this day and age we as consumers could hit a website, place an order and have it show up on our boxes in about 3 minutes without a single person doing a thing on their end. If not, they need better programmers and a smarter system.

Antenna_

@rr.com
reply to buzz_4_20

Re: Does This Mean

If cable doesn't embrace ala carte, they will go the way of the railroads. Kids don't want sports or news.

axus

join:2001-06-18
Washington, DC
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to NotHereNow

Re: So, what he's saying is...

That's how I see it, too. I learned about how much the content providers are gouging the Cable companies on this website, so I have some sympathy for the high prices they charge.

The worry is that a bunch of people dumping ESPN does not make it any cheaper for the cable co. to provide it to the 40% of people who do want it.

Let's say CableTown is spending 100million dollars for ESPN, for 10 million subscribers, and charging those 10 million $10 each. Now, they offer a la carte, and charge $20 for ESPN. Only 4 million subscribers sign up. If they are still paying 100million dollars for ESPN, they're losing $20 million dollars and have to raise the price to $25.

I think it's fine, 6 million people are saving $10/month, so what if 4 million are paying an extra $15/month. But I can see how they are hesitant to do it, CableTown doesn't make more money and the billing becomes more complicated.

westdc

join:2009-01-25
Amissville, VA

Let it go

It's another channel I can do without!

sparks

join:2001-07-08
Little Rock, AR

get rid of bundling

well I remember years ago the head of comcast saying if people had to pay for sports they couldn't afford them...with a big laugh

its crazy that a mom has to pay a sports fee for nick at night for her kids.

Let them figure out another way to pay those jocks 50 million a year, do they have to bleed everyone

djrobx
Premium
join:2000-05-31
Valencia, CA
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VOIPO
reply to tshirt

said by tshirt:

...espn free.
Let the sports junkies buy their own crack.

Right. If $20 is too much, people won't buy it, and they'll be forced to lower the price. Let the free market decide its fate.
--
AT&T U-Hearse - RIP Unlimited Internet 1995-2011
Rethink Billable.

djrobx
Premium
join:2000-05-31
Valencia, CA
reply to NPGMBR
I want the music channels, but I'm happy to buy them as a low cost add-on.

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast
reply to Skippy25
Or they could raise the change of service fee from $1.99 to 5.99 for changing the channels in a package.

Or make it so you can order on the computer or website but have to call customer service to remove channels.

Anyways, the cable/satellite provider's hands are pretty much tied by the programming providers.
--
I've experienced ImOn (when they were McLeod USA), Mediacom, Comcast, and Time Warner and I currently have DirecTV. They are much better than broadcast TV.

I have not and will not cut the cord.

PaulHikeS2

join:2003-03-06
Fitchburg, MA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to IowaCowboy
said by IowaCowboy:

...and allow customers to choose genre based bundles instead of the current model of having to buy crappy shopping/infomercial channels to get the good channels.

I agree in general, except for this. You don't pay for these channels. The shopping/infomercial channels pay to be on the cable system and contribute (I'm sure very slightly) to REDUCING your monthly bill.
--
Jay: What the @#$% is the internet???

ISurfTooMuch

join:2007-04-23
Tuscaloosa, AL
reply to axus

It just means that ESPN is overpriced and needs to lower what it charges cable operators.

tshirt
Premium
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Skippy25

Undoubtably, they could do that.
But, most people, are more likely, to agree with a human that they don't JUST want that single channel, and If they want they can have that channel PLUS these other channels for "just $3 more a month for the next 3 months" hoping you enjoy and grow accustomed to having at least one of them.
Never missing the chance of an upsell.

Face it they will continue to bundle or not whatever it takes to earn MORE money, never less.

kevinds
Premium
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB
kudos:3

Don't offer it alone

Don't offer it alone, rather, bundle it with the other sports channels, only.
--
Yes, I am not employed and looking for IT work. Have passport, will travel.

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State

Only ESPN?

What about TNT, TWC, etc. for Lakers games?

newview
Ex .. Ex .. Exactly
Premium
join:2001-10-01
Parsonsburg, MD
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·Comcast
reply to Skippy25

said by Skippy25:

I'm pretty sure in this day and age we as consumers could hit a website, place an order and have it show up on our boxes in about 3 minutes without a single person doing a thing on their end. If not, they need better programmers and a smarter system.

Yeah ... this is pretty much how it happens on DirecTV with the Starz, HBO, Cinemax premium services, you go on their website, choose a premium service to add and it's up and running by the time you tune to it in your TV ... if they can do it for them, they can do it for ALL channels.

I'm fed up with subsidizing all the sports jocks and paying for channels I NEVER watch.

Fuck ESPN ... and Disney too.

iansltx

join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX
reply to ptbarnett
...and that really wouldn't take much effort to build, either.

ISurfTooMuch

join:2007-04-23
Tuscaloosa, AL

I'm ready for the sports pyramid to collapse

Bring it on! If only the people who want ESPN are forced to pay for it, then it will become apparent how overpriced the service is. But why is it so overpriced? Because they have to pay those insane fees to the sports leagues, which then pay the teams, which pay the millionaire athletes and billionaire owners.

And once the sports fans are forced to shoulder the full cost of what they're watching, the whole damn pyramid will collapse. ESPN will be caught in a death spiral of having to increase fees to make up for a shrinking pool of subscribers. The more they raise rates, the fewer people will subscribe. At that point, their only option will be to renegotiate their contracts with the various leagues, which will then have to cut payments to teams, which will then have to cut salaries to athletes and profits to owners. It will be utter financial carnage, and I look forward to seeing it happen.

Don't get me wrong, I harbor no ill will toward sports fans. It's just that I think they're being ripped off, and I resent having to be ripped off along with them.

tshirt
Premium
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to ISurfTooMuch

said by ISurfTooMuch:

It just means that ESPN is overpriced and needs to lower what it charges cable operators.

And so they ESPN must pay less to the teams and leagues, and the teams must pay less to the athletes, and the athletes are worth less to advertisers so Nike sells less shoes.
All good ideas but it will take quite a while to echo through the system other then a total collapse of the SPORTS INC. system, with an awful lot of people/money opposing it.

CATV fees are a small part of the big picture.

averagedude

join:2002-01-30
San Diego, CA

What's missing

What's missing in this discussion is why ESPN is so expensive in the first place? Where is all this money going?

ESPN_Without

@bhn.net

Cost= Waste of money and could do without

When was the last time ESPN had games on it like it used to.

Why pay to hear some commentators give you their opinion when you get get scores and games on other channels or get the sports package, even check the web to get the latest stats and game progress.

ESPN= Overpriced and could do without on my bill.-Period!

Papageno

join:2011-01-26
Portland, OR

Yeah, F the sports channels

The ESPN channels, and the Food Network, and Home and Garden, and Bravo, and MTV and VH1, since they don't show music videos anymore for the last 20 years. I literally NEVER watch any of that crap, but I HAVE to have it to get my Comedy Central, my FX, my AMC etc., AKA channels that are actually worth watching. Sure would be nice to save some coin.

ESPN

join:2003-02-22
Allentown, PA

Fees

ESPN is a cash machine. They make over $5.00 per subscriber.
With FOX Sports launching their own network soon, guess who is footin the bill?

elefante72

join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY
reply to IowaCowboy

Yeah it's called SelectHD from Verizon. He's probably right.
I would have done just broadcast, but believe it or not the 2-play was 10 less for SelectHD, so I got it.

My bill went from $105 to $79 (inc CC) when I went from Extreme to SelectHD and that INCLUDES 50/25 unlimited. And no regional sports fee. So savings over $35 each month. If they were smart they would have PPV sports like boxing, etc. But they are happy with the status quo today.

Cost to provision is not a problem the problem is that we still have channels. If you go a la carte, go a la carte. You pay for what you consume. Think of how the cell guys charge. Base fee + you pay for consumption. Works well there. Yes some people will pay more, some will pay less but the point is it's a personal decision, and if content providers (which should want it all out there) want to condition us to ration, then they will lose.

My take is that these guys need to stop signing billion dollar contracts otherwise yes, ESPN will cost $20.

firedrakes

join:2009-01-29
Arcadia, FL
reply to averagedude

Re: What's missing

its Disney owned. what you expect

PaulHikeS2

join:2003-03-06
Fitchburg, MA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to elefante72

said by elefante72:

Cost to provision is not a problem the problem is that we still have channels. If you go a la carte, go a la carte. You pay for what you consume. Think of how the cell guys charge. Base fee + you pay for consumption. Works well there. Yes some people will pay more, some will pay less but the point is it's a personal decision, and if content providers (which should want it all out there) want to condition us to ration, then they will lose.

Sounds silly. Would i have to turn off the TV to use the bathroom? If I turn off the TV during a commercial will my bill increase?
--
Jay: What the @#$% is the internet???

SysOp

join:2001-04-18
Douglasville, GA

no one is making you pay

Calm down internet. You have the option of not paying for any tv.

TransitJohn

join:2009-05-08
Littleton, CO
reply to averagedude

Re: What's missing

Have you seen the size of media rights contracts college athletics conferences and professional leagues are getting?