dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-04-23 12:27:15: As noted last week, there is a renewed pressure on broadcasters to either finally offer a la carte channels, or at least channel bundles that are a little more consumer friendly and economical. ..

prev · 1 · 2 · 3 · next

Antenna_
@rr.com

Antenna_ to buzz_4_20

Anon

to buzz_4_20

Re: Does This Mean

If cable doesn't embrace ala carte, they will go the way of the railroads. Kids don't want sports or news.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
·Comcast XFINITY

IowaCowboy to Skippy25

Premium Member

to Skippy25

Re: I'm ready to go...

Or they could raise the change of service fee from $1.99 to 5.99 for changing the channels in a package.

Or make it so you can order on the computer or website but have to call customer service to remove channels.

Anyways, the cable/satellite provider's hands are pretty much tied by the programming providers.

PaulHikeS2
join:2003-03-06
Fitchburg, MA

PaulHikeS2 to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy
said by IowaCowboy:

...and allow customers to choose genre based bundles instead of the current model of having to buy crappy shopping/infomercial channels to get the good channels.

I agree in general, except for this. You don't pay for these channels. The shopping/infomercial channels pay to be on the cable system and contribute (I'm sure very slightly) to REDUCING your monthly bill.
ISurfTooMuch
join:2007-04-23
Tuscaloosa, AL

ISurfTooMuch to axus

to axus

Re: So, what he's saying is...

It just means that ESPN is overpriced and needs to lower what it charges cable operators.

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt to Skippy25

Premium Member

to Skippy25

Undoubtably, they could do that.
But, most people, are more likely, to agree with a human that they don't JUST want that single channel, and If they want they can have that channel PLUS these other channels for "just $3 more a month for the next 3 months" hoping you enjoy and grow accustomed to having at least one of them.
Never missing the chance of an upsell.

Face it they will continue to bundle or not whatever it takes to earn MORE money, never less.

kevinds
Premium Member
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

Don't offer it alone

Don't offer it alone, rather, bundle it with the other sports channels, only.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

antdude

Premium Member

Only ESPN?

What about TNT, TWC, etc. for Lakers games?

newview
Ex .. Ex .. Exactly
Premium Member
join:2001-10-01
Parsonsburg, MD

newview to Skippy25

Premium Member

to Skippy25

said by Skippy25:

I'm pretty sure in this day and age we as consumers could hit a website, place an order and have it show up on our boxes in about 3 minutes without a single person doing a thing on their end. If not, they need better programmers and a smarter system.

Yeah ... this is pretty much how it happens on DirecTV with the Starz, HBO, Cinemax premium services, you go on their website, choose a premium service to add and it's up and running by the time you tune to it in your TV ... if they can do it for them, they can do it for ALL channels.

I'm fed up with subsidizing all the sports jocks and paying for channels I NEVER watch.

Fuck ESPN ... and Disney too.
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx to ptb42

to ptb42
...and that really wouldn't take much effort to build, either.
ISurfTooMuch
join:2007-04-23
Tuscaloosa, AL

ISurfTooMuch

I'm ready for the sports pyramid to collapse

Bring it on! If only the people who want ESPN are forced to pay for it, then it will become apparent how overpriced the service is. But why is it so overpriced? Because they have to pay those insane fees to the sports leagues, which then pay the teams, which pay the millionaire athletes and billionaire owners.

And once the sports fans are forced to shoulder the full cost of what they're watching, the whole damn pyramid will collapse. ESPN will be caught in a death spiral of having to increase fees to make up for a shrinking pool of subscribers. The more they raise rates, the fewer people will subscribe. At that point, their only option will be to renegotiate their contracts with the various leagues, which will then have to cut payments to teams, which will then have to cut salaries to athletes and profits to owners. It will be utter financial carnage, and I look forward to seeing it happen.

Don't get me wrong, I harbor no ill will toward sports fans. It's just that I think they're being ripped off, and I resent having to be ripped off along with them.

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt to ISurfTooMuch

Premium Member

to ISurfTooMuch

Re: So, what he's saying is...

said by ISurfTooMuch:

It just means that ESPN is overpriced and needs to lower what it charges cable operators.

And so they ESPN must pay less to the teams and leagues, and the teams must pay less to the athletes, and the athletes are worth less to advertisers so Nike sells less shoes.
All good ideas but it will take quite a while to echo through the system other then a total collapse of the SPORTS INC. system, with an awful lot of people/money opposing it.

CATV fees are a small part of the big picture.
averagedude
join:2002-01-30
San Diego, CA

averagedude

What's missing

What's missing in this discussion is why ESPN is so expensive in the first place? Where is all this money going?

ESPN_Without
@bhn.net

ESPN_Without

Anon

Cost= Waste of money and could do without

When was the last time ESPN had games on it like it used to.

Why pay to hear some commentators give you their opinion when you get get scores and games on other channels or get the sports package, even check the web to get the latest stats and game progress.

ESPN= Overpriced and could do without on my bill.-Period!
Papageno
join:2011-01-26
Portland, OR

Papageno

Yeah, F the sports channels

The ESPN channels, and the Food Network, and Home and Garden, and Bravo, and MTV and VH1, since they don't show music videos anymore for the last 20 years. I literally NEVER watch any of that crap, but I HAVE to have it to get my Comedy Central, my FX, my AMC etc., AKA channels that are actually worth watching. Sure would be nice to save some coin.
ESPN
join:2003-02-22
Denton, TX

ESPN

Fees

ESPN is a cash machine. They make over $5.00 per subscriber.
With FOX Sports launching their own network soon, guess who is footin the bill?
elefante72
join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY

elefante72 to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy

Yeah it's called SelectHD from Verizon. He's probably right.
I would have done just broadcast, but believe it or not the 2-play was 10 less for SelectHD, so I got it.

My bill went from $105 to $79 (inc CC) when I went from Extreme to SelectHD and that INCLUDES 50/25 unlimited. And no regional sports fee. So savings over $35 each month. If they were smart they would have PPV sports like boxing, etc. But they are happy with the status quo today.

Cost to provision is not a problem the problem is that we still have channels. If you go a la carte, go a la carte. You pay for what you consume. Think of how the cell guys charge. Base fee + you pay for consumption. Works well there. Yes some people will pay more, some will pay less but the point is it's a personal decision, and if content providers (which should want it all out there) want to condition us to ration, then they will lose.

My take is that these guys need to stop signing billion dollar contracts otherwise yes, ESPN will cost $20.
firedrakes
join:2009-01-29
Arcadia, FL

firedrakes to averagedude

to averagedude

Re: What's missing

its Disney owned. what you expect

PaulHikeS2
Fitchburg, MA

PaulHikeS2 to elefante72

to elefante72

said by elefante72:

Cost to provision is not a problem the problem is that we still have channels. If you go a la carte, go a la carte. You pay for what you consume. Think of how the cell guys charge. Base fee + you pay for consumption. Works well there. Yes some people will pay more, some will pay less but the point is it's a personal decision, and if content providers (which should want it all out there) want to condition us to ration, then they will lose.

Sounds silly. Would i have to turn off the TV to use the bathroom? If I turn off the TV during a commercial will my bill increase?

SysOp
join:2001-04-18
Atlanta, GA

SysOp

no one is making you pay

Calm down internet. You have the option of not paying for any tv.
TransitJohn
join:2009-05-08
Denver, CO

TransitJohn to averagedude

to averagedude

Re: What's missing

Have you seen the size of media rights contracts college athletics conferences and professional leagues are getting?
jagged
join:2003-07-01
Boynton Beach, FL

jagged to tpkatl

to tpkatl

Re: What is more likely to happen

true they all try to increase the ARPU. However given that we watch 5-7 channel I doubt i'd be paying $137 per month.

I see them offering channels in tiers, ie Sports package, Family package, Movie package etc
uberjon
join:2010-02-10
Kane, PA

uberjon to tshirt

to tshirt

said by tshirt:

...espn free.
Let the sports junkies buy their own crack.

EXACTLY why should we make it cheaper for the jocks when we don't want it.
beavercable
Premium Member
join:2008-05-11
Beaverton, OR

beavercable

Premium Member

Dont just blame the networks, as the sports leagues as well.

How much do you think the NFL, NBA, NCAA, MLB, NHL, and the rest of the sports associations charge networks for broadcasting rights?

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy to elefante72

Premium Member

to elefante72

Or make sportscasts Pay Per View only so I'm not paying for sports I don't watch. The big sports leagues charge a lot of money for broadcast rights and if they go PPV only, then our pay TV bills would be a lot lower.

PaulHikeS2
Fitchburg, MA

PaulHikeS2 to buzz_4_20

to buzz_4_20

said by buzz_4_20:

I could save $20 by dropping that channel?

No. Economics of scale. Currently it's $4-$5 per subscriber for ESPN. If only 25% of current subscribers choose ESPN as a subscription, then theoretically the price would be $16-$20/month for ESPN to get the same revenue.
antennaman19
join:2010-01-18
Painesville, OH

antennaman19 to SysOp

to SysOp

Re: no one is making you pay

On that note, we're done talking here!
m33crob
join:2013-02-06
Phoenix, AZ

m33crob

The Fall of Paid TV

Products are only worth what people are willing to pay for them. If a la cart plans push the price up to $20/month, people WILL start thinking about the cost and decide whether it is worth it or not. It's possible even that this mode would knock the Disney Corp off of their pedestal and bring prices into an acceptable range.
wkm001
join:2009-12-14

wkm001

I have bad news for ESPN...

There wouldn't be many people willing to pay that much for all of the ESPN channels.

I'm curious how this would trickle down to player's salaries. How much of a team's revenue comes from TV contracts? Players get paid WAY too much anyway.

buzz_4_20
join:2003-09-20
Dover, NH

buzz_4_20 to PaulHikeS2

to PaulHikeS2

True.
But they better slap a flat cost on that.
How pissed would people be if you only save $5 to drop it but it costs $20 to add it.

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium Member
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK

KrK

Premium Member

OR they could get cheaper....

because ESPN won't be able to just offer $xxxx million dollars for exclusive rights and then raise rates.
prev · 1 · 2 · 3 · next