dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-04-24 14:21:21: Amazon is about to bring their Kindle brand to the set top box market. Sources tell Bloomberg that Amazon's Kindle set top box should launch sometime this fall. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next
coma9
join:2013-02-05
United State

coma9

Competition

I like when companies enter other companies safe zone... give everyone a little nudge.

juilinsandar
Texas Gooner
Premium Member
join:2000-07-17
San Benito, TX

juilinsandar

Premium Member

More choices. Better prices.

But, will they include Netflix and Hulu in their set-top box?

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

skeechan

Premium Member

Games games games

Now that Nintendo has gone upscale in price with the Wii U there is a gaping hole in the cheap console cheap games market. I had been hoping Apple would roll out an Apple TV and controller for playing iOS games but they seem to be sitting on their ass expecting money to just keep coming in forever. It would be nice if Amazon picked up the slack...Android titles on TV with a decent controller would be cool.
axus
join:2001-06-18
Washington, DC

axus

Amazon already sells TV shows through other devices

Parents were showing me their Roku box. You know something is mainstream if your parents are into it. Anyways, there were a few different providers for shows and music, and Amazon was one of them. I think Amazon Prime ties into this.

The point is, Amazon are no stranger to this space!
Here's a link:
»www.amazon.com/gp/featur ··· 00776221
itguy05
join:2005-06-17
Carlisle, PA

itguy05 to juilinsandar

to juilinsandar

Re: Competition

said by juilinsandar:

Really? How much cheaper can these things be sold than $80-99? Personally the Apple TV is the device to beat in this space. It connects to Netflix, iTunes, Hulu, YouTube, your music and movies and if you're in the iOS space your phone and tablet. We love ours.

Amazon would be better served getting Apple to put them in A-TV. I don't see them putting their competitors services on their box. They are using this to suck you into Prime.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5 to axus

Premium Member

to axus

Re: Amazon already sells TV shows through other devices

said by axus:

Parents were showing me their Roku box. You know something is mainstream if your parents are into it. Anyways, there were a few different providers for shows and music, and Amazon was one of them. I think Amazon Prime ties into this.

The point is, Amazon are no stranger to this space!
Here's a link:
»www.amazon.com/gp/featur ··· 00776221

I get Amazon Video, including all the free Amazon Prime videos on my Vizio HDTV. Don't need a separate box.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
·Comcast XFINITY

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

Set top boxes

My set top box is a DirecTV Genie on one TV and a C31 Genie Client on the other. I have never gotten excessive Internet usage warnings from Comcast.

I plan on adding a TV to the kitchen and I'm going to add another Genie Client to that set as well.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium Member
join:2000-08-05
united state

Snakeoil

Premium Member

The more, the better

Hopefully this becomes a case of the more, the better for the consumer.

scavio
Premium Member
join:2001-07-14
Melmac

scavio to itguy05

Premium Member

to itguy05

Roku has them both beat (minus the Airplay, which most people don't care about). The Apple TV just doesn't have enough apps to compete at the moment.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5 to coma9

Premium Member

to coma9
Amazon is also getting in to the "create own content" business as well. They just released a bunch of TV Pilots, some of which will become regular series:

Pilot Season on Amazon Instant Video
»www.amazon.com/gp/featur ··· 58778011

jmn1207
Premium Member
join:2000-07-19
Sterling, VA

jmn1207 to scavio

Premium Member

to scavio
Roku is great, unfortunately the largest cable TV provider is blocking HBO Go for existing Comcast HBO subscribers. Hopefully this new Kindle device is Comcast proof. Anything that can replace the outrageously priced cable boxes is seen as a danger to Comcast. Equipment rental fees make up the lion's share of my cable bill.
amungus
Premium Member
join:2004-11-26
America

amungus

Premium Member

meh

Not that interested in an Amazon box, though if MS can deliver one that is basically an extender (as it seems that NOBODY makes them anymore??), and include Netflix etc. for free, it'd be a massive win.

I'd definitely want an MS one if it did Media Center, and Netflix. It'd be just about the perfect solution for my needs.

Even though I'll be moving to a house that already has Dish in the near future, I plan on keeping my media center in use, either with the clear-QAM that Cox internet lets through, or with an antenna attached to the tuner card. ...point being, I'd rather have that and an extender than pay for an additional HD Dish box. The current box does have a secondary (SD) TV output, but I find it not only very SD, but very clunky, and don't want to have to run coax any more than is already there.

Just don't have a current use for another box that won't be an extender - additional apps, ability to stream local files, etc., is a plus, but streaming straight off of a real media center, with full control over recordings etc. is pretty useful.

Interested in this new lower power pseudo-xbox-thing

CosmicDebri
Still looking for intelligent life
join:2001-09-01
Lake City, FL

1 recommendation

CosmicDebri

Jeez....

You people sure watch a lot of tv.........

I don't know how you can find anything halfway decent to watch all the time.... there is literally a handful of shows that I watch.... and since the damn commercials are longer than the actual show these days, I usually end up streaming them from the network sites, or downloading and watching totally commercial free....

Where I currently live, the landlord provides Comcrap with all premium everything.... and the few times I try to find something to watch, I spend more time searching thru 500 channels of crap than I do watching anything. And then I usually settle for a Duck Dynasty or something on Comedy Central if I haven't already seen it...

It's too hard to even try and follow a series if it's good, like Walking Dead, True Blood or whatever....when its 5 episodes, then a month or 2 off, then back with 3-4 more episodes, and call it a season and we'll be back in 6 months.... wtf is that?? Anyone remember when a tv season was 23 episodes??? Probably not many....

So a Amazon/Kindle set top?? Gee, now they will want us to read a book on our bigscreens with the whole family??? Good luck with that....lol....

aaronwt
Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
Asus RT-AX89

aaronwt to itguy05

Premium Member

to itguy05

said by itguy05:

said by juilinsandar:

Really? How much cheaper can these things be sold than $80-99? Personally the Apple TV is the device to beat in this space. It connects to Netflix, iTunes, Hulu, YouTube, your music and movies and if you're in the iOS space your phone and tablet. We love ours.

Amazon would be better served getting Apple to put them in A-TV. I don't see them putting their competitors services on their box. They are using this to suck you into Prime.

The cheapest Roku box is $50.
Although it is limited to 720P output.

djrobx
Premium Member
join:2000-05-31
Reno, NV

djrobx to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy

Re: Set top boxes

said by IowaCowboy:

My set top box is a DirecTV Genie on one TV and a C31 Genie Client on the other. I have never gotten excessive Internet usage warnings from Comcast.

I plan on adding a TV to the kitchen and I'm going to add another Genie Client to that set as well.

Why would you get an excessive use warning from Comcast unless you were doing a ton of VOD? The Genie uses DECA (network over coax, modified form of MoCA) to talk to the C31.
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT

BiggA to scavio

Premium Member

to scavio

I have both, Roku is the best overall, but AirPlay is REALLY AWESOME.

It's going to be tough for Amazon with the market so crowded, and their services already on pretty much everything. I have at least 3 devices that can do Amazon already.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
Springfield, MA
·Comcast XFINITY

IowaCowboy to djrobx

Premium Member

to djrobx

said by djrobx:

said by IowaCowboy:

Why would you get an excessive use warning from Comcast unless you were doing a ton of VOD? The Genie uses DECA (network over coax, modified form of MoCA) to talk to the C31.

What I am talking about is people who use streaming services like Netflix getting excessive use warnings. Their caps are currently suspended but I have a gut feeling that they are going to start charging overages. A good workaround for caps is to subscribe to a pay TV service (does not necessarily have to be your ISP's offering like I have DirecTV for video and Comcast for Internet) as streaming services consume a lot of bandwidth.

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium Member
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK

KrK to itguy05

Premium Member

to itguy05

I don't know. I use my Panasonic Blu-Ray player. It does all that and more, as well as of course playing discs and videos on the LAN.

There's some good competition in this space, which is a good thing.

Go Amazon.

NoTVAnon
@173.227.18.x

NoTVAnon to CosmicDebri

Anon

to CosmicDebri

Re: Jeez....

said by CosmicDebri:

It's too hard to even try and follow a series if it's good, like Walking Dead, True Blood or whatever....when its 5 episodes, then a month or 2 off, then back with 3-4 more episodes, and call it a season and we'll be back in 6 months.... wtf is that?? Anyone remember when a tv season was 23 episodes??? Probably not many....

It's because of the recent (recently past) strike by the Writers Guild of America. I think they asked for shorter seasons overall. I know it sucks

KrK
Premium Member
Tulsa, OK
Netgear WNDR3700v2
Zoom 5341J

KrK to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy

That's exactly why they created Caps.

YOU.SHALL.NOT.PASS

Thou shall not get video from other sources!
Thou shall not use the Internet to watch Video on demand!
Thou shall not avoid advertisements or watch shows when you want!

Thou *SHALL* be force to pay for OUR PayTV subscriptions!
Thou *SHALL* pay what we demand and comply!

History is such an interesting thing. Hundreds of years ago it was common for a "Robber Baron" to build a Castle or a Fortress along a key trade route, such as a Harbor entrance, a River, or a Mountain Valley pass. Then, they would use their guns and troops to extract "Tolls" on ships and traffic attempting to pass between cities, states, nations, with few or zero alternative routes to go around. In other words, just steal money from them. As much as they wanted.

It seems our esteemed Broadband providers are big fans of this business model, brought forward into the Internet age.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

At least there are options for video that does not rely on ISP infrastructure such as DirecTV and Dish Network. All you need is a view of the southern sky and a place to mount the dish.
elray
join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA

elray

Another meaningless product

We don't need another Netflix.

We want the video equivalent of iTunes, with 99% of content available at a somewhat-reasonable price point - perhaps with tiers for age, popularity, bit density and screen size.

Amazon should be focusing on collaborating for content and delivery, not worrying about trying to sell us their tiny library.
elefante72
join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY

elefante72 to itguy05

to itguy05

amazon is the wonder twin to apple except its a media company. It will be interesting to see if they have cloud features in here, other than just slamming amazon content down your throat.

with the kindle, you get kindle renting which I think is crap because why do you need a kindle to rent a book. With that I sold my Kindle and have Amazon prime (for shopping) but since that day I refuse to buy books or rent content off of Amazon.

I like ubiuity and Apple and Amazon are not, so I don't use itunes or amazon anymore. I get all of my content from third party sources, or in the case of media I like hard copy. I can sell it when I am done, unlike the digital version.

Anyways, the only thing I dont use my Roku 3 for is DVR functionality through W7MC so I need xbox too. Sucks.

I love Plex for my home media, so if MSFT came out with an extender that doesn't require 80W and a plex app, game over. Already has FIOS app.

So you see ATV, Roku, XB360, etc are all fail because none of them integrate:

1. DVR
2. Netflix/Amazon
3. Home Media (Plex)

Now I know you can use DLNA but it sucks compared to the ipad app or HTML5.

We are close... Amazon is a bust here.

KrK
Premium Member
Tulsa, OK

KrK to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy

There are options for PayTV anyway.

NotHereNow
@verizon.net

NotHereNow

Anon

More is better

If it comes with an improved interface (for Amazon video), then it might be worth it. Plus, the newer Roku devices definitely have a problem with streaming--HD especially--from Amazon (and only Amazon, which is Amazon's fault--it's their channel).

xirian
Premium Member
join:2003-01-26
Beacon, NY

xirian to amungus

Premium Member

to amungus

Re: meh

Ceton makes a media center extender that works with windows 7: »cetoncorp.com/products/echo/
rick0204
join:2009-05-20
North Bergen, NJ

rick0204 to NotHereNow

to NotHereNow

Re: More is better

You are right about the Amazon HD streams on the Roku 2. I bought 2 HD movies from Amazon and neither one of them streamed in HD and constantly buffered. I called Amazon and was issued a refund. I don't see the need for a Kindle set top box. The morning news implied that Amazon was going to try and replace the cable company's video packages. It appears that this is not true and this Kindle box will just be a better version of the Amazon App already in use.
Expand your moderator at work

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium Member
join:2000-08-05
united state

Snakeoil to elray

Premium Member

to elray

Re: Another meaningless product

UGH! No itunes please. 20 bucks per season is a tad over priced, IMO. 10 bucks a season, maybe.

Now maybe if Itunes had a flat rate, all you can eat price [like Netflix], then maybe I'd be interested.
elray
join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA

elray

said by Snakeoil:

UGH! No itunes please. 20 bucks per season is a tad over priced, IMO. 10 bucks a season, maybe.

Now maybe if Itunes had a flat rate, all you can eat price [like Netflix], then maybe I'd be interested.

Agreed that iTunes has an iPrice that is unreasonable to many, but for musical content, they have made 99% of all popular content available for a fairly uniform price.

If the same can be done for video, over time, competition will push down the price, but only if _all_ content is easily found in one place, as compared to today's game of whack-a-mole, with incomplete, expiring and disappearing titles.
page: 1 · 2 · next