dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-04-25 12:47:09: Speaking on the company earnings call this week, Time Warner Cable CEO Glenn Britt stated that Time Warner Cable is seeing "de minimis" impact on their business from Google Fiber so far. ..

xenophon
join:2007-09-17

xenophon

TWC has quite a bit of WiFi in KC too...

...but is not free to public. Have to have existing TWC account. Will Austin be free to anyone or only for those who already have TWC account?
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx

I'm sure that, like your northeastern CableWiFi installations, it'll be customer-only. Otherwise you just get GFiber's free tier and then use WiFi elsewhere.

Though, to be fair, my bet (and Jason Calacanis's) is that Google will have a Fon-like hotspot network made up of every single GFiber Austin customer, running at 5 Mbps down, 1 Mbps up, made available for free to anyone, not just GFiber customers.
xenophon

xenophon

According to...
»www.twcableuntangled.com ··· ee-wifi/

It's free to existing TWC users with a free trial to non-TWC users but $3/hr after trial. Not a bad offer but this is nothing new or specific to Austin, is available in a few other TWC cities.
xenophon

xenophon to iansltx

to iansltx
said by iansltx:

Though, to be fair, my bet (and Jason Calacanis's) is that Google will have a Fon-like hotspot network made up of every single GFiber Austin customer, running at 5 Mbps down, 1 Mbps up, made available for free to anyone, not just GFiber customers.

This says Google's WiFi in KC will be (optionally) free to anyone...
quote:
Google will install, at their expense, WiFi antennas at over 400 locations in Kansas City. While the WiFi can be set up to be free for the public to use, Google's spokesperson said, "It’s really up to the discretion of the public building managers."
»www.neowin.net/news/goog ··· sas-city

Downtown KCMO is installing hundreds of new streetlights that are designed to host multiple WiFi ISPs.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

TWC has 2 yrs to get ready and lock in users

TWC will push to get new customers on their footprint thru triple play deals and other incentives. And then will offer retention inducements as Google starts to roll out. They will lose some customers, but most people will be too lazy to switch.
sticks435
join:2004-05-25
Kansas City, MO

sticks435

said by FFH5:

TWC will push to get new customers on their footprint thru triple play deals and other incentives. And then will offer retention inducements as Google starts to roll out. They will lose some customers, but most people will be too lazy to switch.

Yea, I got an email saying my intro/promation was about to expire. If I can get them to give me a 1 year contract, I'll take that because by that time GFiber should be in my area of KC.
Spiral JP
John Paul
Premium Member
join:2011-10-28
Nevada City, CA

Spiral JP

Premium Member

Minor deployment so far

It could also be that, as Milo Medin announced at the recent Broadband Communities Summit in Dallas, Google has only connected about 4,000 homes in Kansas City KS thus far.
xenophon

xenophon

Yeah I dont see TWC and others making a move until GFiber is more broadly rolled out.

BTW, there are some interesting Google conditions for condo highrises. Apparently 70% of a building must signup (for actual service, not preregistration) or the condo association has to pay for cabling the building...

»forum.kcrag.com/viewtopi ··· art=1340
sticks435
join:2004-05-25
Kansas City, MO

sticks435 to Spiral JP

to Spiral JP
That's only half the city though. Right now Downtown Kansas City MO is also a part of it and there are ALOT more people there than in Kansas City KS, but it's also the poorer part of the city, so I'm guessing once it gets rolled out to the suburbs, you'll see alot more people signing up.
xenophon

xenophon

The downtown income and Plaza, Ward Parkway to Brookside in MO is higher than most burbs, but E Side is low. KC, KS income is the lowest in metro. Is curious Google selected some of lowest income areas of KC metro first, though many parts are high income.
TBBroadband
join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

TBBroadband

cause when nobody in the lower income areas can pay for install to get even the free services or pass a credit check- Google can say we'll we offered it but nobody wanted it.

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium Member
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK

KrK

Premium Member

I doubt that's the reason, but it could very well be that they are seeing what kind of demand they might expect in a so called "low" income area.

I think most people would be surprised.
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx to TBBroadband

to TBBroadband
Um, you sound like you're talking about an attempted trial by AT&T, not Google. Google actually WANTS people to use their next-gen infrastructure.
dfxmatt
join:2007-08-21
Crystal Lake, IL

dfxmatt to sticks435

to sticks435

Re: TWC has 2 yrs to get ready and lock in users

it's as clear as day an "oh shit, we have competition" that offers magically start showing up now.

LarryVillano
@lawrencefreenet.org

LarryVillano

Anon

Wicked Broadband Fiber

There are certainly some changes happening here in Lawrence, Kansas. Wicked Broadband just launched the first non-Google pre-registration based on Google's model. Wicked Fiber!

»wickedfiber.com