dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-05-06 09:08:34: Mark down Tullahoma, Tennessee as the latest member of the 1 Gbps club. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

battleop
join:2005-09-28

1 recommendation

battleop

It won't change the fact...

That Tullahoma is a very small town and there isn't much of anything to do there. People won't move in masses to the boonies just because you have 1GB.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

said by battleop:

That Tullahoma is a very small town and there isn't much of anything to do there. People won't move in masses to the boonies just because you have 1GB.

especially at $300/mo
sparc
join:2006-05-06

sparc

it looks like they may have other options though that are reasonable enough. Not everyone has the scale of Google.

12Mbps up / 3Mbps down $37.95
50Mbps up / 25Mbps down $59.95
100Mbps up / 50Mbps down $149.95
300M bps up / 150Mbps down $299.95

»dev.tub.net/files/docs/r ··· 2012.pdf

mig288
Premium Member
join:2002-07-13
Cherry Hill, NJ

mig288 to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5
Think more in line with businesses paying that small amount compared to the traditional T-1, T-3, etc.. That $300 price tag is a very good deal in my opinion.
devnuller
join:2006-06-10
Cambridge, MA

1 recommendation

devnuller

From their T&C's

»www.tub.net/files/docs/t ··· ions.pdf

In addition, LightTUBe reserves the right to monitor for excessive use of the internet by residential customers and any customer determined to have excessive usage may be required to pay for a rate that appropriately reflects their usage.

What's "excessive" use of a 1G link?

buzz_4_20
join:2003-09-20
Dover, NH

buzz_4_20

Very Good Question.

I think a complete offsite backup of a 4tb array is acceptable, feasible even.

battleop

2 recommendations

battleop to mig288

to mig288

Re: It won't change the fact...

If you are a business that looking to locate somewhere based on GigE connectivity that means your business must have GigE to operate. If that's the case and your business really depends on GigE then you are making an extremely poor business decision to locate some in some middle of no where town where your are going to depend on a single provider's consumer / soho network.

Why would you pick Tullahoma when EPB is in a much larger city with more resources that's not even 80 miles away?
dfxmatt
join:2007-08-21
Crystal Lake, IL

dfxmatt to mig288

to mig288
why would a business accept a consumer SLA? I could see this working as a backup line/load balancer but I can't imagine a business that wants to remain a business would use a consumer service.

PapaMidnight
join:2009-01-13
Baltimore, MD

1 recommendation

PapaMidnight to sparc

to sparc
I feel inclined to point out that, with the exception of additional uplink bandwidth, those prices don't seem to far off from Comcast (and are downright comparable to Verizon FiOS).
biochemistry
Premium Member
join:2003-05-09

biochemistry to battleop

Premium Member

to battleop
The traffic! Oh the traffic on I-24 in Chattanooga is unbearable and there's no way around it!

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536 to battleop

Premium Member

to battleop
said by battleop:

yet another area with only a handful of people that can get. * y a w n *
dra6o0n
join:2011-08-15
Mississauga, ON

dra6o0n to battleop

to battleop
Will google buy their fiber for $1?
decifal7
join:2007-03-10
Bon Aqua, TN

decifal7 to battleop

to battleop
said by battleop:

Usually people say people need to move from the boonies for broadband.. personally, I doubt many will want or care for the 1 gbps, but how bout the slower speeds? It will definitely put that little area on the map for some that are wanting a quieter area with real internet access...

David
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL

David to dfxmatt

Premium Member

to dfxmatt
said by dfxmatt:

why would a business accept a consumer SLA? I could see this working as a backup line/load balancer but I can't imagine a business that wants to remain a business would use a consumer service.

happens all the time in the DSL world as well as the Uverse world. You should see how many million dollar businesses I have talked to via email. You would think most of these would have some sort of back up plan but in reality a lot of them don't

Makes me want to ask a rather important questions about their backup plans, but out of the many I asked a quick question about. Many either dodge the question or claim they didn't hear it.
WA_Resident
join:2009-12-12

WA_Resident to battleop

to battleop
said by battleop:

So, are you saying that rural folks don't deserve fiber internet?
Or that having 1 gig connections was put in just to try to attract "masses" of people?

I live in a smaller....Uhm, not even a town and guess what?....I have fiber available. Some of these very rural areas have had fiber since 2001.

And it's not just residents that use fiber connections, schools and hospitals get a good use out of them.

So yea, around here even the horses, cows and sheep have fiber strung to their farms.

battleop

battleop

"So, are you saying that rural folks don't deserve fiber internet?"

Where did I say that?

"Some of these very rural areas have had fiber since 2001."

Guess what. They are still very rural.

"And it's not just residents that use fiber connections, schools and hospitals get a good use out of them"

Oh yea, it's for the children....

All that aside people are not going to move in masses to podunk no where just because you have $300/mo GB internet. If your business really depends on high speed internet you would be a fool to do so. Instead a wise business will go where you can get multiple, reliable (not consumer grade) connections.

mackey
Premium Member
join:2007-08-20

mackey to dfxmatt

Premium Member

to dfxmatt
said by dfxmatt:

Not all businesses need a 5 9's connection. Where I work the most immediate impact of our internet connection going down is all the other employees get pissy because they can't check their Facebook during break. That and the credit card machines switching to dial-up makes things take a bit longer. Beyond that, things like ordering supplies might need to be put off a day or 2 until the connection comes back up.

That being said, we actually do have a backup connection but it requires manually switching over to it.

/M
TBBroadband
join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

TBBroadband to battleop

to battleop
Why would I pick either when I could locate my business to a burb of Cleveland and connect directly to one of the first GigE providers in the Country; OneCommunity?? Covers thousands of miles in the NE area, and across Ohio and now into Michigan and going farther. They're also part of the GigE non-profit along with their founding parent; Case Western Reserve University.

rebus9
join:2002-03-26
Tampa Bay

rebus9 to battleop

to battleop
said by battleop:

Not "masses" but I guarantee if I was looking to relocate and connectivity choices were last-generation DSL/cable vs. gigabit fiber, there is no question I would follow the bandwidth.

Gigabit fiber availability will have a positive impact on real estate trends. You may not notice it today because 1 Gbps fiber is a nascent market, but look back 5-10 years from now and there WILL be a clearly visible pattern.

Early settlers followed water and farmable land. Now we'll follow the bandwidth. It's already happening. I know folks who've chosen apartments based on FIOS availability.
tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080

out of reach

most people can't afford a car payment or 1/3 to 1/4th the rent money per month on broadband

If your going to offer it at all make it affordable, or don't bother.
Nobody's moving in droves to the handful of other gigabit sites either just to get gigabit. Consumers want it where THEY live..

cablecos & telcos are just too stingy not to offer the upgrades and grew fat on anti-competitiveness paved by the criminality and greediness of banks, wall street plus oil companies.
WA_Resident

WA_Resident to battleop

to battleop

Re: It won't change the fact...

said by battleop:

"So, are you saying that rural folks don't deserve fiber internet?"

Where did I say that?

"Some of these very rural areas have had fiber since 2001."

Guess what. They are still very rural.

"And it's not just residents that use fiber connections, schools and hospitals get a good use out of them"

Oh yea, it's for the children....

All that aside people are not going to move in masses to podunk no where just because you have $300/mo GB internet. If your business really depends on high speed internet you would be a fool to do so. Instead a wise business will go where you can get multiple, reliable (not consumer grade) connections.

You didn't say it but you were obviously implying it.

And, so what if they are "very rural"?.....what about it?.....good for the people that live in such areas where fiber optics are available.

Oh no, it's not just for the children but also for the chickens, cows and horses that live on the farms.

Again, your talking about businesses when you seem to imply that such rural areas don't matter when they have fiber optics available.

Yea, lets see, 100mb connection for $45 is way overpriced over here in these areas.

I guess you can also call the fiber optics around here "consumer grade" when companies such as Yahoo, Microsoft and Intuit built data centers in a "very rural" town of less than 7000 people.
crk2h
join:2003-03-19
Murfreesboro, TN

crk2h to battleop

to battleop
Yes we are a small town but we are within an hour driving distance of Huntsville, AL, Chattanooga, TN and Nashville, TN and most importantly within 15 minutes of Jack Daniel's and George Dickel's Distilleries (not really that important but true!) We are also known for our engineering and aerospace thanks to »www.arnold.af.mil/ and companies like »www.microcraft.aero/ and hey guess what we have fiber internet/tv/phone in our small town
kerya666
join:2002-12-20
Valrico, FL

kerya666 to PapaMidnight

to PapaMidnight
I would get 50Mbps up / 25Mbps down $59.95...cheaper than FIOS

battleop

battleop to TBBroadband

to TBBroadband
Exactly my point. No one is going to come to your tiny town only because you have GigE connectivity.
battleop

battleop to rebus9

to rebus9
"Gigabit fiber availability will have a positive impact on real estate trends"

It will not. I've had 1GB available at my home for quite some time and my property value has not budged a dime because of it's availability.
battleop

battleop to WA_Resident

to WA_Resident
Do Microsoft and Yahoo build their data centers and then buy $45/mo 100Mb circuits to feed them? No, they build their own fiber so the local muni's fiber project doesn't mean shit to them. They look for things like cheap land, cheap power, cheap water, no property taxes, etc. The very last thing on their list is if the local muni has it's own GB network because they simply do not care about that. They bring their own connectivity.
battleop

battleop to crk2h

to crk2h
Being located near the Jack Daniel's Distillery is a good thing.
WA_Resident

WA_Resident to battleop

to battleop
said by battleop:

Do Microsoft and Yahoo build their data centers and then buy $45/mo 100Mb circuits to feed them? No, they build their own fiber so the local muni's fiber project doesn't mean shit to them. They look for things like cheap land, cheap power, cheap water, no property taxes, etc. The very last thing on their list is if the local muni has it's own GB network because they simply do not care about that. They bring their own connectivity.

Ok, so when the local provider can lease out Dark Fiber, you can still call it "consumer grade" connections.

battleop

battleop

They will spend millions of dollars to build out their networks that span thousands of miles and then rely on a muni network to carry them the last couple miles @ $45 per 100Mb?
WA_Resident

WA_Resident

Well, yes they did, lol!

Where did i actually say that Microsoft and Yahoo got 100mb for $45 for their data centers?

In fact, Yahoo did lease a a building supplied with fiber optics for one of their smaller data centers.

You've gone from rural areas don't matter, to people aren't going to move in "masses" to these "very rural" areas to trying to be a clown based on data centers.

Let's just say that we've had 1 gig connections available since 2001!
Not even the big cities have had that and many still don't!
page: 1 · 2 · next