dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-05-16 10:06:35: ISPs which in the past had historically improved in Netflix performance because of faster speeds, are now finding themselves falling in Netflix's new monthly streaming ISP rankings because they're not signing up for Netflix's CDN network. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · next

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

I'm not a fan of Netflix

I had it for a couple of months, never used it.

I'll stick with DirecTV. You can't get news programming like Fox News or the Weather Channel on Netflix.

ITALIAN926
join:2003-08-16

1 recommendation

ITALIAN926

MMMMMMMM Kay

How long before Netflix charts Verizon DSL ahead of FiOS? They are hysterical ! lol I wonder where Cablevision would rank if THEY had partnered with Redbox instead of Verizon.
xenophon
join:2007-09-17

xenophon

TWC slipping lately for me

I used to get Netflix HD streams on TWC anytime in past but rarely can get them now during prime time hours.

Have tested a large legit torrent file when having Netflix problems and got consistently good performance (well above Netflix max HD stream), so wonder if TWC is restricting video as sometimes cant Youtube HD either. Could be on server end thing but I suspect TWC is shaping video traffic given that downloads perform well.
Expand your moderator at work
mob (banned)
On the next level..
join:2000-10-07
San Jose, CA

2 recommendations

mob (banned)

Re: I'm not a fan of Netflix

Studies have proven that it is people that want to be less informed than people that do not watch any news.

So a huge, huge part of America.
TBBroadband
join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

1 recommendation

TBBroadband to xenophon

to xenophon

Re: TWC slipping lately for me

It's not TWC. This has been mentioned on several other ISPs and its been proven to be the links between the two. That is the whole point of the Netflix Delivery network. And YouTube is just YouTube. You can't ask something to work 100% when its free and a hobby.

anon33
@la.us

anon33

Anon

Don't know why they listed Cox as not signed up...

Cox in Baton Rouge has been using the CDN for a while now. I've had SuperHD since March I think. If you look at the Cox forums, you'll see other markets have it too.

Just trying to keep the article acurate.
axus
join:2001-06-18
Washington, DC

axus

Not a useful ranking for me

I currently don't use Netflix, so a ranking about how good the Netflix experience is doesn't matter to me. BBR is a much better source

Omega
Premium Member
join:2002-07-30
Golden, CO

Omega to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy

You were never able to get news programs and weather through Netflix. This is made very clear before you even sign up...what exactly did you expect?

michieru
Premium Member
join:2009-07-25
Denver, CO

michieru

Premium Member

!

It seems to me that this only benefits poor performing carriers because they can centralize traffic internally. However I wonder if it's the ISPs responsibility for maintaining and purchasing the server or if Netflix is simply giving it away as long as you meet the criteria.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

2 recommendations

skeechan

Premium Member

The top group is within a few hundred kbps of each other

The difference between 2nd and 11th is about 400kbps. That is not a huge difference.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536 to xenophon

Premium Member

to xenophon

said by xenophon:

I used to get Netflix HD streams on TWC anytime in past but rarely can get them now during prime time hours.

Have tested a large legit torrent file when having Netflix problems and got consistently good performance (well above Netflix max HD stream), so wonder if TWC is restricting video as sometimes cant Youtube HD either. Could be on server end thing but I suspect TWC is shaping video traffic given that downloads perform well.

Thats not your provider, thats netflix throttling you to lower quality because they don't have enough bandwidth.
patt2k
join:2009-01-16

patt2k

hm?

how is fios so low? they have faster packages then pretty much most cable companies. Just wondering
xenophon
join:2007-09-17

xenophon to dvd536

to dvd536

Netflix apparently has enough bandwidth for Google Fiber, not using CDN.
FactChecker
Premium Member
join:2008-06-03

1 recommendation

FactChecker

Premium Member

Is it me or is this fixed?

Click for full size
Help me understand why a 30Mbps FiOS connection which has been proven with independent speedtests, proven that they are delivering ABOVE their advertised speeds via the FCC, and has average customer speed improve every month, can't stream at 4+Mbps and declines on the Netflix "rankings" every month.

I think Netflix needs to open up what they are doing to manipulate these "ISP Rankings" or start giving discounts to customers that they are blocking because some ISPs are not agreeing to their extortion.
BlueC
join:2009-11-26
Minneapolis, MN

1 recommendation

BlueC to FactChecker

to FactChecker

Re: Is it me or is this fixed?

Because speeds to one destination can be different than another, considering they may very well take different paths (potentially through different networks that become the middle man).

Some ISPs host their own Speedtest.net server, so the traffic never leaves their network (giving best case performance).
silbaco
Premium Member
join:2009-08-03
USA

silbaco to FactChecker

Premium Member

to FactChecker
It has been fixed ever since they put Google Fiber in the rankings. They still have hardly any subscribers.
silbaco

silbaco

Premium Member

Netflix

My ISP has more subscribers than Google Fiber, but of course they are not Google so they don't make the cut. Interestingly, they are also connected to CDN it appears.
silbaco

silbaco to michieru

Premium Member

to michieru

Re: !

They do give it to you. But the criteria is steep and you are supposed to peer with CDN regardless.
FactChecker
Premium Member
join:2008-06-03

FactChecker to BlueC

Premium Member

to BlueC

said by BlueC:

Because speeds to one destination can be different than another, considering they may very well take different paths (potentially through different networks that become the middle man).

Some ISPs host their own Speedtest.net server, so the traffic never leaves their network (giving best case performance).

It doesn't jive with any other credible, non-bias data sources. Check the FCC data, SamKnows, DSLReports, Akamai and all other measurement sites.
prairiesky
join:2008-12-08
canada

prairiesky to BlueC

to BlueC
it actually shows that the customer is getting what they are paying for.... As you mentioned, outside network performance is unpredictable. What the customer is paying for is a rate on the ISP's network. Having a server on their own network shows they are delivering what was signed up for. if the customer knows what they asked for is a different story all together
jjeffeory
jjeffeory
join:2002-12-04
Bloomington, IN

jjeffeory to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy

Conversely, you can't watch Lillyhammer, House of Cards, Hemlock Grove, or Comedy like Craig Ferguson: I'm Here To Help, Fat Man Little Boy, et cetera on DirecTV.... I don't mind DirecTV as long as they don't still bit starve their HD channels like they have in the past, but you're comparing apples to oranges. Looks like you want "news" programming while Netflix offers movies and series...
UnnDunn
Premium Member
join:2005-12-21
Brooklyn, NY

UnnDunn

Premium Member

The reason Verizon doesn't operate Netflix CDN servers

Verizon is a tier-1 internet provider, meaning it operates one of the internet's backbone networks. So it gets paid whenever Netflix streams to Verizon customers.

Verizon wants Netflix to keep using its bandwidth, so it can keep getting paid. There's no way Verizon is going to operate any Netflix CDN servers any time soon.

clarknova
join:2010-02-23
Grande Prairie, AB

clarknova

Canada

It's a shame there's no data there for Canada. My ISP is on the CDN, even.
InvalidError
join:2008-02-03

InvalidError to FactChecker

to FactChecker

For a Speedtest to be relevant with Netflix, you would need to use a Speedtest server hosted on the Netflix server you are getting served your Netflix from.

Your speedtest to third-party Speedtest servers likely do not use the critical path between Verizon and your target Netflix server where the bottleneck may exist... the bottleneck may very well be at/near Netflix's end: limited peering capacity beyond their CDN partners so if your ISP is not on Netflix's CDN, you get lumped with everyone else who isn't on whatever spare bandwidth Netflix has for those.

This would easily explain why joining Netflix's CDN mysteriously makes an ISP jump ahead regardless of how good the non-member ISPs' networks might be.
BosstonesOwn
join:2002-12-15
Wakefield, MA

BosstonesOwn to FactChecker

to FactChecker
Ahmm yes it does. Your not reading and comprehending.

Those "data sources" are not right to every point on the internet. What Netflix shows is more accurate then say akamai. Netflix is the final destination, Where as akamai is not the final destination for every stream.

Akamai is accurate for various types of streams and acceleration or dns and web services as well. Netflix is specifically for Netflix content.
BosstonesOwn

BosstonesOwn to UnnDunn

to UnnDunn

Re: The reason Verizon doesn't operate Netflix CDN servers

2 separate divisions and they should treat the business as such, if they don't then I believe that is getting into the business of acting monopolistic.
page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · next