spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-05-16 10:06:35: ISPs which in the past had historically improved in Netflix performance because of faster speeds, are now finding themselves falling in Netflix's new monthly streaming ISP rankings because they're not signing up for Netflix's CDN network. ..

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
kudos:1

I'm not a fan of Netflix

I had it for a couple of months, never used it.

I'll stick with DirecTV. You can't get news programming like Fox News or the Weather Channel on Netflix.

mob
On the next level..
Premium
join:2000-10-07

2 recommendations

Re: I'm not a fan of Netflix

Studies have proven that it is people that want to be less informed than people that do not watch any news.

So a huge, huge part of America.
Expand your moderator at work

Omega
Displaced Ohioan
Premium
join:2002-07-30
Denver, CO

You were never able to get news programs and weather through Netflix. This is made very clear before you even sign up...what exactly did you expect?
--
What smells like blue?

Nightmare

@corpmailsvcs.com

Agreed. I have a OTA antenna and a HDhomerun box from silicon dust + netflix. I get my local channels from free and pay $7.99 (+charter internet for $54.99) for netflix and can watch live tv on any of my home Pc's and yes i have a home theater pc. All my media needs are met. Still paying a ton less then having charter TV.
Night_68131

join:2009-06-05
Omaha, NE

Same here, but we use Xboxes to extend media center to the other rooms in the house.
jjeffeory

join:2002-12-04
USA
Conversely, you can't watch Lillyhammer, House of Cards, Hemlock Grove, or Comedy like Craig Ferguson: I'm Here To Help, Fat Man Little Boy, et cetera on DirecTV.... I don't mind DirecTV as long as they don't still bit starve their HD channels like they have in the past, but you're comparing apples to oranges. Looks like you want "news" programming while Netflix offers movies and series...

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

Netflix a service for those with no life except to sit and watch movies that have no value.

A shame that so many are so devoid of life they resort to this to exist.

Eddy120876

join:2009-02-16
Bronx, NY

1 recommendation

I have Netflix and work 50 hours a week. So i guess I have no life just to sit and watch movie....... SMH

tmh

@verizon.net
said by Jack_in_VA:

Netflix a service for those with no life except to sit and watch movies that have no value.

A shame that so many are so devoid of life they resort to this to exist.

Multitask.

You mean you actually sit and do nothing while watching movies?

Logan Five

join:2001-09-06
Ohio
And how much of a life does someone have who comes here to complain about people who use Netflix? I would say a lot less.

Logan

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK
I think that's more true of those sitting and watching the above listed "News" channels.
john262

join:2003-09-26
Elko, NV

Personally I don't care who does or doesn't watch either Netflix or the cable news channels. I'm just concerned with what I watch.
SINCLAIRac

join:2013-06-29
Marshfield, WI
Yet, here you are trolling the blogosphere...inserting useless and completely non-topical OPINIONS! I, in fact, do have a life. I, like most, am here for [useful] information, not inane banter! Seems like someone needs to re-evaluate their exsistence....
Binderdondat

join:2012-04-04
Johnstown, PA
This entire discussion has conflated into a can of worms.

The first respondent has the best handle by way of critical thinking.

Example: When you need a hammer to get the job done, why waste your time and money by purchasing a screwdriver?

Netflix is a contemporary "hula hoop." It won't be around any longer than it takes a critical mass of reasonably intelligent people to realize that it only delivers marginal value, replacing superior methods of achieving the same results.

aaronwt
Premium
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA

1 recommendation

said by Binderdondat:

This entire discussion has conflated into a can of worms.

The first respondent has the best handle by way of critical thinking.

Example: When you need a hammer to get the job done, why waste your time and money by purchasing a screwdriver?

Netflix is a contemporary "hula hoop." It won't be around any longer than it takes a critical mass of reasonably intelligent people to realize that it only delivers marginal value, replacing superior methods of achieving the same results.

But the problem with that is that Netflix is an excellent value. I've been using them for over fourteen years. And with streaming, for only $8 a month, I don't know any other service that gives me access to so much for so little. There is so much available for me to watch that I will not come anywhere close to watching everything I would like to watch. For the $8 a month Netflix streaming costs it is a superb deal.
Binderdondat

Johnstown, PA

In reality, there's no free lunch. While Netflix subscribers may enjoy the short term benefits that you've described, others are being deprived of bandwidth - paying for the "Netflix lunch"

Eventually, others will come to realize that this isn't working for the public good and change will be affected to balance the scale.

Here's is an unrelated but analogous monologue:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLirNeu- ··· rNeu-A8I

LightS
Premium
join:2005-12-17
Greenville, TX

What... so are you saying that because a person is using bandwidth (duh) that they're taking away other peoples bandwidth?

so.. what exactly is the point of your post? netflix, etc. data is data
Binderdondat

Johnstown, PA

// are you saying that because a person is using bandwidth (duh) that they're taking away other peoples bandwidth? //

That's precisely my point! Available bandwidth is determined by numerous factors. Most of these factors are out of our control. (e.g. your ISP's internal policy on their subscriber' bandwidth max/day or month, their ratio for determining adequate oversubscription,
[ »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oversellin ··· rselling ], their interconnect agreements/reliance on upstream ISP's, etc.)

At any point in time, there exists a finite supply of bandwidth that should be used effectively and efficiently. However, dubious innovation and its overzealous marketers often lead us down roads that result in the tragedy of the commons. Please view the video located on my previous response.

Some may find these concepts difficult to accept, but they have plagued mankind throughout the centuries.

LightS
Premium
join:2005-12-17
Greenville, TX

I'm quite aware of overselling & the general limitations of the internet.

That being said... the same thing could be said about any IP services that exist, regardless of it being Netflix or not. If ISPs implement localized CDN's in their datacenter, it can decrease bandwidth utilization that travels off of their network significantly since it is all localized.

KrK
Premium
Tulsa, OK

1 recommendation

Yeah, I mean, it's so annoying when people actually use services they pay for. Better to sell them service, have them pay, and not have to provide. WAYYYY more profitable that way.

Oh well, I'm sure if they actually start to use bandwidth, we can cap them low, meter them, and overcharge them high. "To protect the network". (Not our Payola TV revenue, no, not that...)
--
"Fascism should more properly be called corporatism because it is the merger of state and corporate power." -- Benito Mussolini

Draomin

@comcast.net
Oh dear…oh no: look at me I am using the road more than you yet I am not paying more. I have six kids going to public schools and you are retired yet we both pay the same local school tax. Yikes! That's it!!!! That's why America is running out of all it's good stuff; it's due to all the idiots on NetFlix. Sorry, Dude but that's pathetic. To start with - it is spam (research it) that takes up more than any other spent Backhaul and cost. Yet spam is illegal in most cases. Wow I guess you missed your big shot when you ignored that one. As far as possible billing for the Internet commensurate with use don't worry about it. It's coming because all the major players are lobbying Washington to close off all but the paying customers and then you'll be happy…right?
Remember all the copper and before that there was the public airwaves. That's all gone now because we advanced faster technologically than we did culturally and corporations look ahead. They studied us, profiled us and categorized the public and it's ability (or lack of) to do anything. The future will see many alarming things in media but the worst will be looking back at some of these certified idiots who have such wrong perceptions about who "owns" and who "runs" the Internet. Plus of course people will be pissed to learn that Google is as much a part of our government as the IRS. Come on now…you think Google would have recorded all that illegal crap in their mapping cars without a nod from the government? Go fish.
rradina

join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO

I thought Netflix video was the down stream consumer. Wasn't there a recent article posted at this very site that showed Netflix is the biggest consumer?

Not that I have a problem with that but I don't think SPAM is the biggest user of bandwidth.
Bengie25

join:2010-04-22
Wisconsin Rapids, WI
Reviews:
·Solarus

1 recommendation

said by Binderdondat:

In reality, there's no free lunch. While Netflix subscribers may enjoy the short term benefits that you've described, others are being deprived of bandwidth - paying for the "Netflix lunch"

Deprived of bandwidth? What? Netflix pays their fair-share of the bandwidth, the customer pays for the bandwidth, the only people complaining are the crappy ISPs that don't want to give customers what they're paying for.

Go read up how the Internet works.
Os

join:2011-01-26
US
The Weather Channel mostly shows documentaries now that no one cares about.

If you want news, go online.

Sports are the only thing keeping the pay TV model alive.

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

There are a lot of shows that I watch on DirecTV. I also watch the evening news on WWLP-TV along with Fox News. I also like watching the Weather Channel when Severe Weather is hitting parts of the country, even if I'm not in the affected areas as it is pure excitement and I have an interest in Severe Weather.

And May 15 is not a good day for Iowa as they had two tornado outbreaks thirty years apart. The first one was in 1968 and the second one hit on the 30th anniversary in 1998 although they hit different towns.

Weather and electronics are my two favorite interests with politics being a distant third. It would be nice to have a cable channel dedicated to electronics (maybe CNET could start a cable channel).
--
I've experienced ImOn (when they were McLeod USA), Mediacom, Comcast, and Time Warner and I currently have DirecTV. They are much better than broadcast TV.

I have not and will not cut the cord.

JMHO42

@verizon.net
I've had Netflix for more than a year, and I'm at the point now where I watch something every day (for several hours typically). Right now, there are a half-dozen shows I'm watching that I've never seen before and, obviously, like enough that I want to keep watching--good shows get canceled, too. And while Netflix does the occasionally stupid thing that makes me question my desire to continue with the subscription (such as having killed off the New Watch Instantly RSS feed... talk about bone-headed), it's still a bargain. Weather I can get from multiple sources; same with news (if I were of a mind to do so, which I'm not--certainly not Fox News regardless). There were things about DirecTV that I liked when I had it, but I'd never go back--"cable" TV (even if it's via satellite) is dead to me.
c4junk
Premium
join:2004-05-08
Orlando, FL

1 recommendation

I AM a NetFlix fan! I watch Netflix most every evening and when the wife or the wife and I watch TV it will likely be something we have DVR'd because 20 min per hour of ads has driven us away.
I watch movies and TV series (many with sub titles) from all over the world on Netflix which is something you can't get from the networks.
I am using my Roku to watch Netflix and many other channels.
Bengie25

join:2010-04-22
Wisconsin Rapids, WI
Reviews:
·Solarus

1 recommendation

said by IowaCowboy:

I'll stick with DirecTV. You can't get news programming like Fox News or the Weather Channel on Netflix.

Weather channel has been replaced with Weather.com and Fox news is crap.

$8/m for Netflix or $60/m for commercials.

Veloslave
Geek For God
Premium
join:2003-07-11
Martinez, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·PHONE POWER
said by IowaCowboy:

Netflix over the media center computer to the TV... while reading the news* on my laptop sitting to the side of my couch seat, simultaneously of course.

DUH

(*email, DSLR, remote tech support, etc)

Haven't had over the air or cable for around 22 years... haven't missed a thing and always get to say no when someone says;

"Have you seen the commercial where..."
--
Mom was right.... I NEED fiber!

ITALIAN926

join:2003-08-16
kudos:2

1 recommendation

MMMMMMMM Kay

How long before Netflix charts Verizon DSL ahead of FiOS? They are hysterical ! lol I wonder where Cablevision would rank if THEY had partnered with Redbox instead of Verizon.
dubenezic

join:2004-05-06
Jersey City, NJ

Re: MMMMMMMM Kay

said by ITALIAN926:

How long before Netflix charts Verizon DSL ahead of FiOS? They are hysterical ! lol I wonder where Cablevision would rank if THEY had partnered with Redbox instead of Verizon.

Excellent point!

KrK
Premium
Tulsa, OK
It's about quality of Netflix experience. If you can't get HD Netflix, then your ISP is failing to deliver that experience, and will rank low, even if it's simply because they WON'T CDN. Why it fails is irrelevant to the rating.
--
"Fascism should more properly be called corporatism because it is the merger of state and corporate power." -- Benito Mussolini
xenophon

join:2007-09-17

TWC slipping lately for me

I used to get Netflix HD streams on TWC anytime in past but rarely can get them now during prime time hours.

Have tested a large legit torrent file when having Netflix problems and got consistently good performance (well above Netflix max HD stream), so wonder if TWC is restricting video as sometimes cant Youtube HD either. Could be on server end thing but I suspect TWC is shaping video traffic given that downloads perform well.

•••••

anon33

@la.us

Don't know why they listed Cox as not signed up...

Cox in Baton Rouge has been using the CDN for a while now. I've had SuperHD since March I think. If you look at the Cox forums, you'll see other markets have it too.

Just trying to keep the article acurate.
axus

join:2001-06-18
Washington, DC

Not a useful ranking for me

I currently don't use Netflix, so a ranking about how good the Netflix experience is doesn't matter to me. BBR is a much better source

michieru
Premium
join:2009-07-25
Miami, FL
Reviews:
·Comcast Business..

!

It seems to me that this only benefits poor performing carriers because they can centralize traffic internally. However I wonder if it's the ISPs responsibility for maintaining and purchasing the server or if Netflix is simply giving it away as long as you meet the criteria.
silbaco
Premium
join:2009-08-03
USA

Re: !

They do give it to you. But the criteria is steep and you are supposed to peer with CDN regardless.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170
kudos:2

2 recommendations

The top group is within a few hundred kbps of each other

The difference between 2nd and 11th is about 400kbps. That is not a huge difference.
--
Nocchi rules.

Cabal
Premium
join:2007-01-21

Re: The top group is within a few hundred kbps of each other

I'm glad someone noticed.
patt2k

join:2009-01-16

hm?

how is fios so low? they have faster packages then pretty much most cable companies. Just wondering
rradina

join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO

Re: hm?

The throughput is from Netflix to the consumer. Although FIOS has great last-mile capacity and speed, at some point it combines and has to route between the Netflix and the FIOS last-mile distribution network over the Internet. Internet "weather" then takes its toll on the video streams and it wouldn't matter if FIOS was 100Mbps or 100Gbps...the stream will only go as fast as Netflix can provide it through the Internet.

If Verizon would use CDN (Netflix provides a cache server installed within their data center(s)), their ranking would improve as it would then allow their ranking to be all about their superior last-mile capabilities.
FactChecker
Premium
join:2008-06-03

1 recommendation

Is it me or is this fixed?

Click for full size
Help me understand why a 30Mbps FiOS connection which has been proven with independent speedtests, proven that they are delivering ABOVE their advertised speeds via the FCC, and has average customer speed improve every month, can't stream at 4+Mbps and declines on the Netflix "rankings" every month.

I think Netflix needs to open up what they are doing to manipulate these "ISP Rankings" or start giving discounts to customers that they are blocking because some ISPs are not agreeing to their extortion.
--
"Too often we... enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy

••••••••••
silbaco
Premium
join:2009-08-03
USA

Netflix

My ISP has more subscribers than Google Fiber, but of course they are not Google so they don't make the cut. Interestingly, they are also connected to CDN it appears.

KrK
Premium
Tulsa, OK

Re: Netflix

That's fine. It's about quality of Netflix experience.
UnnDunn
Premium
join:2005-12-21
Brooklyn, NY

The reason Verizon doesn't operate Netflix CDN servers

Verizon is a tier-1 internet provider, meaning it operates one of the internet's backbone networks. So it gets paid whenever Netflix streams to Verizon customers.

Verizon wants Netflix to keep using its bandwidth, so it can keep getting paid. There's no way Verizon is going to operate any Netflix CDN servers any time soon.

••••••

clarknova

join:2010-02-23
Grande Prairie, AB
kudos:7

Canada

It's a shame there's no data there for Canada. My ISP is on the CDN, even.
--
db
mjh2901

join:2001-08-02
Livermore, CA

1 recommendation

Remember the CDN Facts

1. Netflix provides the hardware
2. Netflix provides the CDN connection
3. You provide the rackspace at the border
4. You provide the power
5. You provide the port to your inner network

Even though there is some cost, with netflix using about a third of the internet bandwidth at night, it is a huge savings to move that data from your large backbone pipes to your internal network. The only reason these ISP's dont roll this out is there dislike of the netflis service on their non network entities... IE cable business vs the cable modem business. From a network management point of view its a no brainer.

••••••••••••••

NotHereNow

@verizon.net

Did I miss it?

...the place where you state that these "rankings" are next to meaningless to begin with? (I'm on FiOS, and my [supposedly] 1080p streams look very, very HD already--and, frankly, I think my PQ is "super" w/o Netflix's CDN.)
Bob61571

join:2008-08-08
Washington, IL

And the 3 Worst Wired ISP's are....

- - Frontier
- - AT&T DSL
- - Verizon DSL

Something for all 3 to REALLY be proud of!!!$>#$>#>!
BiggA

join:2005-11-23
EARTH

Comcast and Verizon

Get on the CDN! What is taking them so long?
old_wiz_60

join:2005-06-03
Bedford, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

Verizon..

wants people to buy movies from them, not use Netflix. If the Netflix stuff really starts taking up a lot of bandwidth and people start dropping their cable boxes then Verizon will either raise the internet use rates or start throttling Netflix and others.