dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-05-16 12:11:25: While there's absolutely no doubt that Google Fiber has been a positive thing for the industry, critics have singled out two problems with Google's ultra-fast offering. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · next

SimbaSeven
I Void Warranties
join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT
·StarLink

SimbaSeven

Pulling a 180

“You will see others doing this because the demand for really high-speed broadband via gigabit-type fiber-based solutions on a targeted basis is going to be very, very high....The key is being able to do it in places where you know there is going to be high demand and people willing to pay the premium for those type services."

Wasn't it a few years (or more) ago that they said there was no demand at all for ultra-fast connections and people didn't really need >100mbps (or was it much less) speeds?

I guess we're finally seeing how full of sh*t they really are and their true interests finally coming out.

odreian615
join:2006-01-18
Chicago, IL

odreian615

I don't know about the cherry picking part

I see Uverse in some of the poorest parts of Chicago and Maywood
mlcarson
join:2001-09-20
Santa Maria, CA

1 recommendation

mlcarson

National infrastructure

If they're allowed to cherry pick like this, it just means that the largest urban areas will have multiple vendors building multiple infrastructures while most of America is completely neglected. This is a horrible waste of resources. The whole country should be built once with a fiber infrastructure before this is allowed to happen -- at least if government funds are involved.

Metatron2008
You're it
Premium Member
join:2008-09-02
united state

Metatron2008

Premium Member

At&t has said it would have faster speeds then 24/3 since...

This won't happen until 2100..
xenophon
join:2007-09-17

xenophon to mlcarson

to mlcarson

Re: National infrastructure

I'm not sure it's cherry picking as Google gave two of the lowest income areas of KC metro the opportunity first to signup and didn't target mostly high income areas at first (though some hoods were very high income and did have highest registrations).

Google didn't really cherry pick, they just checked to see who had the interest with pre-registration. In the end, only 7 hoods of about 200 in KC didn't qualify in initial two cities - many low income hoods did qualify but most are lower on the list in rollout priority. I think what was unfair is that Google used the internet for registration, which some lower income people may not have easy access to.

It will be interesting to see what happens with Austin pre-reg. E side of Austin is pretty low income and W side is very high income. According to this 2 in 5 in Austin are considered low income...
»www.statesman.com/news/n ··· e/nRmxb/
InvalidError
join:2008-02-03

1 recommendation

InvalidError to SimbaSeven

to SimbaSeven

Re: Pulling a 180

said by SimbaSeven:

Wasn't it a few years (or more) ago that they said there was no demand at all for ultra-fast connections and people didn't really need >100mbps (or was it much less) speeds?

Want /= Need

Most people still do not *need* anywhere near that much speed but that does not stop them from *wanting* it.

I only *need* ~6Mbps to do everything I like doing on a regular basis but on the rare occasions where I would like a large downloads done quickly, I would *want* 1Gbps but this happens nowhere near often enough (maybe 4-5 times a year) to justify paying significantly more for it even if I could have it - at least not for me since it would likely cost at least $50/month more than what I currently have.

fatpipe
join:2011-10-02
Austin, TX

fatpipe

said by InvalidError See Profile
Most people still do not *need* anywhere near that much speed but that does not stop them from *wanting* it.

Kindly do not tell me what I need in terms of bandwidth. If you are satisfied with your pipe by all means have at it.

If I want the fatter pipe that Google Fiber will offer, then I should be able to acquire it. I do not have to justify my actions to you or anyone else, nor do I have to subscribe to your arguments.

I state again, when it comes to one's own data pipe, live and let live already!
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to SimbaSeven

Premium Member

to SimbaSeven
They should want to provide gigabit, Any ISP with caps and overages should. That way people can have multiple HD netflix streams going and cause overage fees which are pure profits.
elray
join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA

3 recommendations

elray to fatpipe

to fatpipe
said by fatpipe:

Kindly do not tell me what I need in terms of bandwidth. If you are satisfied with your pipe by all means have at it.

If I want the fatter pipe that Google Fiber will offer, then I should be able to acquire it. I do not have to justify my actions to you or anyone else, nor do I have to subscribe to your arguments.

Yes, indeed, you should, providing you're willing to pay the market rate that induces Google, AT&T, or an overbuilder to take the risk and provide it.

Meanwhile, kindly, do not tell me what size pipe you "need" and expect the taxpayers to subsidize it in any form.
78204168 (banned)
join:2013-02-28

1 recommendation

78204168 (banned)

Boo Effin Hoo..

I'm at the point where I'm so effin tired of hearing about the excuses of why AT&T, Verizon, or whatever mega corporation can't get something done. If there's no profit to be made from it, they don't end up doing it.

It's time for some kind of paradigm shift to happen that changes the reason we do anything. How about doing it because it's the right thing to do and it's improving peoples standard of living. Does everything have to be done only because it has a profit to be made from it?

The goddamn money is worthless anyways.. It's printed out of thin air and has no intrinsic value. Just debt backed by debt. It's effin maddening..

I guess maybe by StarDate 2500 or whatever, perhaps the reason we do things won't be because there's a load of money to be made from it..
steevo22
join:2002-10-17
Fullerton, CA

steevo22 to fatpipe

to fatpipe

Pipe? Isn't it a series of tubes? I am sure you must mean tubes, right?
tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080

Before Austin

The number of consumers AT&T planned to offer gigabit internet: 0.
Number of consumers screwed by never getting DSL in the bell south region: plenty!
jjeffeory
jjeffeory
join:2002-12-04
Bloomington, IN

jjeffeory to xenophon

to xenophon

Just because someone doesn't do something once doesn't mean that they aren't at other times in other areas.

alchav
join:2002-05-17
Saint George, UT

alchav to 78204168

to 78204168

Re: Boo Effin Hoo..

said by 78204168:

I'm at the point where I'm so effin tired of hearing about the excuses of why AT&T, Verizon, or whatever mega corporation can't get something done. If there's no profit to be made from it, they don't end up doing it.

It's time for some kind of paradigm shift to happen that changes the reason we do anything. How about doing it because it's the right thing to do and it's improving peoples standard of living. Does everything have to be done only because it has a profit to be made from it?

The goddamn money is worthless anyways.. It's printed out of thin air and has no intrinsic value. Just debt backed by debt. It's effin maddening..

I guess maybe by StarDate 2500 or whatever, perhaps the reason we do things won't be because there's a load of money to be made from it..

I think this is the kind of attitude that most people have, and why AT&T went with Copper and Verizon stopped deployment of their FiOS. People want High Speed Fiber, but they don't want to pay for it. It's expensive to lay Fiber, and when a Company does it these same people say it cost too much. Then they want to wait around for the 2 Buck Special! Believe it or not, Companies need to make a profit to stay in Business.

SimbaSeven
I Void Warranties
join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT
·StarLink

SimbaSeven

said by alchav:

Believe it or not, Companies need to make a profit to stay in Business.

You do know that there is a difference between revenue and record setting profits, right?

moldypickle
Premium Member
join:2009-01-04
Haughton, LA
ARRIS SB8200
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-nanoHD

moldypickle to alchav

Premium Member

to alchav
Everyone is quick to try and point out that laying fiber is expensive. Well, we've already covered damn near ALL of the country in copper once. Why can't we use the same system and regulations to cover it in fiber? I just don't understand why everyone cries out about the price.

CaptainRR
Premium Member
join:2006-04-21
Blue Rock, OH

CaptainRR to tmc8080

Premium Member

to tmc8080

Re: Before Austin

No only bell south region, many places in Ohio the same way cant even get DSL, I am one of them and will never see it.
78204168 (banned)

78204168 (banned) to moldypickle

to moldypickle

I was told from a a reliable source that most of the railroads in this country have got fiber planted under all their tracks but it's currently dark.. as in it's not powered up for whatever reason.

78204168 (banned) to alchav

to alchav
Verizon Wireless has 115 million subscribers. Even if they collected $40 a month from each of those subscribers excluding taxes, they would still bring in $4.6 billion a month. I don't think it costs $4.6 billion a month to run their network. Sure there's energy costs for each cell site, which is most likely eaten up by the 24/7 AC units they have running to keep their gear cool. They could incorporate solar energy to supplement some of the power requirements...

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

Network modernization

They should be allowed to shut down legacy networks IF they pass those users with equal or better service (hint: Fiber). If they don't upgrade, then they should have to maintain the legacy networks.

Inner city areas are just as profitable as suburban in the telecom sector, yes churn may be higher but now you are raking in activation and installation fees when that apartment turns over every three months. And their security deposit (as they can't pass credit) guarantees that the bill will be paid in full (including cancellation fees).

buddahbless
join:2005-03-21
Premium

buddahbless to odreian615

to odreian615

Re: I don't know about the cherry picking part

said by odreian615:

I see Uverse in some of the poorest parts of Chicago and Maywood

There lies the problem and the point. they (att) serve only the very close local metro area because there is compitition no matter the income level, Some of us out in the far burbs where the medium house prices are 10x higher than in the less in franchised areas aka "the west side" yet because were spread apart (our houses sit on 1-3 acres lots) and not side by side in the city we cant get anything better than crappy DSL.

bobjohnson
Premium Member
join:2007-02-03
Spartanburg, SC

bobjohnson to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy

Re: Network modernization

said by IowaCowboy:

They should be allowed to shut down legacy networks IF they pass those users with equal or better service (hint: Fiber). If they don't upgrade, then they should have to maintain the legacy networks.

Inner city areas are just as profitable as suburban in the telecom sector, yes churn may be higher but now you are raking in activation and installation fees when that apartment turns over every three months. And their security deposit (as they can't pass credit) guarantees that the bill will be paid in full (including cancellation fees).

If I was running an ILEC and had the choice between running a fiber line from the CO to a 100 unit apartment complex or 100 houses on 1 acre lots (even in a straight line) it would make business sense to run to the apartment complex.
78204168 (banned)

78204168 (banned)

Yeah but those 100 houses on 1+ acre lots are probably owned by people that have more disposable income to spend on higher speeds.. In the long run, the 100 houses would be a better choice..

bobjohnson
Premium Member
join:2007-02-03
Spartanburg, SC

bobjohnson

Premium Member

But how long does it take to recoup $50k a mile when you only go a mile vs 30 miles?
openbox9
Premium Member
join:2004-01-26

openbox9 to SimbaSeven

Premium Member

to SimbaSeven

Everyone knows that needs/wants will increase over time. I still argue about the need/want of 1 Gbps service now, beyond the marketing buzz that Google created.
openbox9

1 recommendation

openbox9 to fatpipe

Premium Member

to fatpipe
said by fatpipe:

do not tell me what I need

If I want

You just conflated need and want, which is eactly what InvalidError See Profile was questioning.
openbox9

1 recommendation

openbox9 to mlcarson

Premium Member

to mlcarson

said by mlcarson:

This is a horrible waste of resources.

How so? Economically speaking, how is investing a majority of resources to support a majority of society a waste of those resources?
said by mlcarson:

The whole country should be built once with a fiber infrastructure

Economically speaking again, how is that not a huge waste of resources? Spending more money to serve an extreme minority of society rather than spending less to benefit the majority is horribly inefficient?
openbox9

openbox9 to 78204168

Premium Member

to 78204168

said by 78204168:

Does everything have to be done only because it has a profit to be made from it?

If you're running a for profit business, yes, business activities should usually achieve a profit.
said by 78204168:

Until people stop paying up for the dollar, it very much has value. How you capitalize on that value is up to you.
openbox9

openbox9 to SimbaSeven

Premium Member

to SimbaSeven
You do know there is a difference between revenue and profit, right? Why should a for profit business not strive to maximize profit?
openbox9

openbox9 to 78204168

Premium Member

to 78204168
Running long haul and middle mile fiber is relatively easy and low cost. It's the last mile that requires the $$$. Dark fiber along railroad tracks doesn't do much good. There's a reason why it's still dark, if in fact it exists and is dark.
page: 1 · 2 · 3 · next