spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-05-21 09:03:03: After taking heat from consumer groups last year for blocking Facetime video chat, AT&T made waves last week by deciding to block the new cross-platform and device video chat functionality in Google Hangouts from running over their speedy new LTE net.. ..

Morac
Cat god

join:2001-08-30
Riverside, NJ
kudos:1

Unlimited?

So I take it from AT&T's statement that they will finally unblock FaceTime and Google Hangout for grandfathered unlimited customers?

It's about time. Now if only they'd allow tethering.

ArrayList
netbus developer
Premium
join:2005-03-19
Brighton, MA
They met their conversion quota.

Mike
Premium,Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA
reply to Morac
Except they would need to keep the same exact phone and not upgrade ever.

tmc8080

join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

why stay?

why would at&t customers stay on metered plans, fancy phones and halfway decent coverage aside?

the prices these companies charge for data is obscene-- soon the profits will be in the text message ROI stratosphere, if not there already.

morbo
Complete Your Transaction

join:2002-01-22
reply to Mike

Re: Unlimited?

Or buy future phones at full price.

Morac
Cat god

join:2001-08-30
Riverside, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Mike
said by Mike:

Except they would need to keep the same exact phone and not upgrade ever.

Unless something has changed in the last 6 months, if you are Grandfathered under unlimited with AT&T you don't lose that plan when you renew the contract. I've done so once already and am still on unlimited.

Verizon yes, AT&T no.
--
Get the DSLR Firefox Extension.
The Comcast Disney Avatar has been retired.

Skippy25

join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

Did they ever explain.....

Did they ever explain why it was (is now) OK for people "who are on Mobile Share or Tiered plans" to use the application(s), but not those on unlimited?

Did the application suddenly use less bandwidth during usage if you were limited by a data pool?

Did the restricted data pool have some kind of magical video app optimization?

Did it suddenly become OK to "congest" the network provided you were willing to pay more for it and willing to pay overages?

Twaddle

@sbcglobal.net
Bingo,
You asked the same questions I would and have regarding the subject of bandwidth. Somehow network congestion and bandwidth limitations fly out the door if a client moves up to a more expensive plan and willing/forced to pay more money. That tells me that there is no TECHNICAL issue involved but purely a monetary grab of a larger piece of the action while crying that network congestion and bandwidth limitations are teh culprit. Horse excrement is the response I give them.

Twaddle

@sbcglobal.net

Blocking is BS

ATT should not be blocking diddly squat in the way of apps that are on a clients phone. The only exception would/could be those apps that are proven to be detrimental to the well-being of other clients or the infrastructure(think virus Trojan rootkit etc.). ATT just wants all the marbles from their clients not just a portion and app blocking is just another way to make their share as big as they can possibly get it. Client is paying for the ability to connect to the LTE infrastructure and transfer data to and from their device not the lame-assed ATT excuses. Customers considering ATT should run away very quickly!!!

dfc888
Premium
join:2003-07-22
San Bruno, CA

Unlimited user here and...

My Facetime was already ON over LTE this morning! Yay!

powerspec88
Premium
join:2007-03-11
Independence, MO
Reviews:
·SureWest Internet
So does mine now. Tested and works great over LTE.

I did not have to enable it myself, it was set to on when I checked it. Wonder if the phone knew AT&T lifted the block?
--
My Internetz: Surewest 50/5, CenturyLink 10/896, AT&T U-verse 18/1.5
Computer: i7 2600k@4.5GHz, GA-P67a-UD7-B3, 16GB DDR3, GTX 580 and GTX 260, Corsair 750W, Antec 1200

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK

Once low caps, high overages are in...

... why would you block anything, because it's pure profit, $$$$ every second.

How noble of at&t.

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK
reply to Skippy25

Re: Did they ever explain.....

said by Skippy25:

Did it suddenly become OK to "congest" the network provided you were willing to pay more for it and willing to pay overages?

Tsk. Tsk. Shame on you on not buying the "Network management" line. You're supposed to believe what they tell you.

Pretty obvious this is much more about "congesting" their revenue stream with excessive profits and protecting legacy business models.
--
"Fascism should more properly be called corporatism because it is the merger of state and corporate power." -- Benito Mussolini

joako
Premium
join:2000-09-07
/dev/null
kudos:6
reply to Twaddle

Re: Blocking is BS

Well in my case they did not block or notify my of an iPhone virus. I only noticed it after I upgraded my firewall.

Facetime over 3G works on my iPhone but if I reset it back to factory defaults it would go back to blocked. I managed to loophole my way into unlimited data plan after they stopped offering it.
--
PRescott7-2097