dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-05-22 14:58:25: Microsoft this week introduced the company's long-awaited successor to the Xbox 360 video game console: the Xbox One. According to Microsoft, their new console will come with 8GB of RAM, USB 3.0 ports, built-in 802. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

ztmike
Mark for moderation
Premium Member
join:2001-08-02
La Porte, IN

1 recommendation

ztmike

Premium Member

Typically Microsoft

Along with the console demanding to be connected to the internet (though not to everything on the console like was rumored) and a non user replaceable 500gb harddrive..

O and to play used games? That's an extra fee from Microsoft.

I'll Glady stick to PlayStation which is more relaxed than Microsoft in this department. And from what Sony has said so far they aren't enforcing any of that.
Moffetts
join:2005-05-09
San Mateo, CA

2 recommendations

Moffetts

TV TV TV

»www.youtube.com/watch?fe ··· gUO-Rqcw
Angrychair
join:2000-09-20
Jacksonville, FL

1 edit

Angrychair

It's always watching

Rotate C-pod please, Xbox.

Corehhi
join:2002-01-28
Bluffton, SC

Corehhi

Don't be having sex

in front of your Xbox because I'm sure the video will going some where and I don't want to be emotionally scarred if I accidently have to watch you......full HD with sound oh nice.

For all I know the Xbox one was created with the NSA to have a way to monitor a large group of young people in their homes.

King P
Don't blame me. I voted for Ron Paul
Premium Member
join:2004-11-17
Murfreesboro, TN

King P

Premium Member

I'll stick with PlayStation

No thank you Microsoft. I've never really cared for XBOX at all. It looks like Playstation 3 is in my future, and then maybe the PS4 after it's matured a bit.

There is simply too much NOT to like about the XBOX One (which is a stupid name, btw). Kinect is mandatory, and it's always on. A fee to play used games? No thank you. Plus, you have to pay for an Xbox Live subscription, just get apps like Hulu and Netflix. I honestly don't see how XBOX is so popular, considering the amount of money it costs, just to own one.
me1212
join:2008-11-20
Lees Summit, MO

me1212

Dudebros getting high or stoned or drunk and playing cawwadooty or halo online/
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned)

Not enough info on either

Anyone saying this system or that system is "better" is full of it. Neither one has presented near enough info to make that determination. And "better" is subjective anyway. Hell we don't even have pricing on these things yet. In less than 3 weeks E3 will be here and we'll know a lot more then. I'll hold of judgment until then.

hayabusa3303
Over 200 mph
Premium Member
join:2005-06-29
Florence, SC

hayabusa3303

Premium Member

ok but not much info still.

As Ms does just like they always do beat around the bush and wait for E3 to come up..

I will give Ms credit on a few things live tv and voice they have a A+ in that and how fast it responds to the command.

That said now im going to bet its going to be 599 price tag???

ALOT of guessing on the net will Ms do this or do that... Wait for E3 and see what happens then.....
OmagicQ
Posting in a thread near you
join:2003-10-23
Bakersfield, CA

OmagicQ

The Obsidian Order would be proud...

Mandatory Kinect camera + always online = duct tape over the sensor.

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium Member
join:2005-03-19
Mullica Hill, NJ

ArrayList to Corehhi

Premium Member

to Corehhi

Re: Don't be having sex

xbox one = freevee, except it isn't free

elios
join:2005-11-15
Springfield, MO

elios to hayabusa3303

to hayabusa3303

Re: ok but not much info still.

PS4 would be the same price or more
same specs but Sony is using more expensive GDDR5 ram

im betting 400 to 450 mark for both

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium Member
Mullica Hill, NJ

ArrayList to hayabusa3303

Premium Member

to hayabusa3303
they haven't show any real world demos yet. that was a presentation, nothing more.

aaronwt
Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
Asus RT-AX89

aaronwt

Premium Member

said by ArrayList:

they haven't show any real world demos yet. that was a presentation, nothing more.

They showed scenes from Call of Duty running on the XBOne.

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium Member
Mullica Hill, NJ

ArrayList

Premium Member

as far as I know those were cutscenes. I can't trust anything until I see an end user or critic playing it.
biochemistry
Premium Member
join:2003-05-09

biochemistry

Premium Member

NES

Time to pull the NES out of the closet. There's no need to connect to the internet and used games simply cost.... get this... the cost of the used game. Oh, and the games are a lot less complicated (though not necessarily easier to win).

Notbuyingit
@bahnhof.se

Notbuyingit

Anon

Xboned

With this latest iteration of the Xbox console, Microsoft has shown a clear disdain for consumers and its userbase.

Users should be openly hostile to Microsoft's encroachment into user privacy. The Kinect unit is always on with an active microphone. Microsoft is publicly stating that they will not record personally identifiable Kinect data, but it must be identifiable and stored if Microsoft claims of recognizing individual users through voice/facial recognition are accurate. Information will be transmitted back to Microsoft, but how much is uncertain. The Kinect requirement for Xbox one allows Microsoft to profile its users in an invasive way and share/sell that data with its partners and law enforcement despite whatever PR response Microsoft tells the general public.

Xbox One

1. Required - Xbox One will not function without Kinect attached

»www.theverge.com/2013/5/ ··· istening
»kotaku.com/xbox-one-requ ··· 09112572
»www.ign.com/articles/201 ··· attached
said by "Harvey Eagle - MS Marketing Director" :
"Kinect does require to be connected to Xbox One in all cases, yes,"

said by "Phil Harrison - MS CVP" :
We aren't using Kinect to snoop on anybody at all. We listen for the word 'Xbox on' and then switch on the machine, but we don't transmit personal data in any way, shape or form that could be personally identifiable to you, unless you explicitly opt into that.

quote:
Redesigned Kinect. It includes a 1080p, HD camera that captures video at 30 frames per second. All new, active-infrared capabilities increase precision, allowing it to work in nearly any lighting condition and expanding field of view to accommodate a greater variety of room sizes. Microsoft proprietary Time-of-Flight technology measures the time it takes individual photons to rebound off you to create unprecedented accuracy and precision. The new noise-isolating multimicrophone array filters ambient sounds to recognize natural speaking voices even in crowded rooms.

2. Required - Internet connection (Xbox one must connect to MS servers every 24 hours)
UPDATE: Microsoft is now running damage control on this admission

»kotaku.com/xbox-one-does ··· 09164109
And here's the bombshell:

Kotaku: If I’m playing a single player game, do I have to be online at least once per hour or something like that? Or can I go weeks and weeks?

Harrison: I believe it’s 24 hours.

Kotaku: I’d have to connect online once every day.

Harrison: Correct.

3. Required - Xbox one games are tied to Xbox Live accounts. Game are non-transferable without paying Microsoft.

»www.eurogamer.net/articl ··· xbox-one
The next issue is what happens when you finish with a game and want either to trade it in at a store or sell it on in another way.

"We will have a system where you can take that digital content and trade a previously played game at a retail store," Harrison said. "We're not announcing the details of that today, but we will have announced in due course."

Harrison would not be drawn on how this worked, even as I suggested various scenarios. For example, I asked whether you would need to pay for the second-hand disc at a store and then pay a fee to Microsoft when you got home, a bit like an Online Pass. Harrison wouldn't be drawn.

"Our goal is to make it really customer-centric, really simple and really understandable and we will announce those details in due course."

I got the impression from speaking to him - entirely my inference - that this Online Pass-style scenario of paying twice for second-hand, once at retail and once at home, was not the plan. But Harrison's reluctance to pre-empt this mystery announcement means that it is still a possibility.

To me, the fact that Harrison was talking about a forthcoming announcement rather than just clarifying the detail suggests that whatever strategy Microsoft does have for this second-hand resale process may involve a specific partner. Perhaps Microsoft has done some sort of deal with GameStop or a similar retail entity.

Corehhi
join:2002-01-28
Bluffton, SC

Corehhi to biochemistry

to biochemistry

Re: NES

I actually play my NES from time to time the graphics really aren't bad. A good game is a good....

BabyBear
Keep wise ...with Nite-Owl
join:2007-01-11

BabyBear to King P

to King P

Re: I'll stick with PlayStation

said by King P:

too much NOT to like about the XBOX One (which is a stupid name, btw).

Oh man! Just Wait! With the new naming convention 10 years from now, I can see it now, the Xbox DOS! The DOS based Xbox! Now it makes sense why they went X86! DOS/4G is making a comeback!

And with widescreens we can finally ditch 80 columns of text for 132! Yayyyyy!
Gandalf4503
join:2002-06-27
Guilderland, NY

Gandalf4503

There's a lot...

Of information not included in this article. Mostly the nerd rage inducing ones, which are going to put off a lot of people from buying the console and going to Sony instead. Namely:

1. All games require a full install on the 500 GB harddrive. If you wish to play the game on another Xbox One, you're required to pay a thus far unspecified fee in order to use that game on said Xbox One.

2. Microsoft is all over the place. Instead of focusing on games, they're trying to make a set top box that does everything. There's already enough competition there.

3. Games are going to be linked to your specific account. No more sharing games with your friends, or bringing it over to your friends house to play in their Xbox (unless you want to pay the above specified fee).

4. The Xbox One will need to connect to the internet at least once every 24 hours to play games.

So far Sony is blowing Microsoft out of the water with the PS4 for the simple fact in that:

1. PSN is still free.

2. There's no requirements to connect to the internet at all to play games.

3. Used games won't have any locks nor additional fees.

4. They're integrating a ton of features related to games instead of trying to make a Halo spinoff TV series that has nothing to do with playing video games.

I won't buy a console full price when they come out, as I rarely play consoles anymore, but when I eventually do I already know where my money is going unless something drastically changes between now and the end of the year.

Notbuyingit
@bahnhof.se

Notbuyingit to Angrychair

Anon

to Angrychair

Re: It's always watching

beavercable
Premium Member
join:2008-05-11
Beaverton, OR

beavercable

Premium Member

I'll wait till next year to decide.

I wont be shelling out more than $400 for either system and the fact that neither will be backwards compatible already on the ropes whether to buy either to begin with.

newview
Ex .. Ex .. Exactly
Premium Member
join:2001-10-01
Parsonsburg, MD

newview

Premium Member

Goodbye Xbox

Hello PS4
StubbyinKCMO
join:2008-11-15
Kansas City, MO

StubbyinKCMO to beavercable

to beavercable

Re: I'll wait till next year to decide.

PS4 has been pointed out that it will feature backwards compatibility at some point in the future. They will have to release some sort of software update which allows the game to run on newer hardware, but its feasible.

The Xboner will never have it. M$ is really screwing the pooch on this.

juilinsandar
Texas Gooner
Premium Member
join:2000-07-17
San Benito, TX

juilinsandar

Premium Member

Xbox One may not be a good idea for People in rural areas...

Since those living in rural areas usually have little, or no, access to broadband internet, they might have to stick with the previous xbox or get a ps4 or a wiiu.

XANAVirus
Premium Member
join:2012-03-03
Lavalette, WV

XANAVirus to Corehhi

Premium Member

to Corehhi

Re: NES

Agreed.

Time to start enjoying our older consoles more - from back before the Internet even existed.

SNES and N64 aren't really that bad graphics-wise (unless you're comparing them to today's technology), and a lot of the games are great.

Who remembers Goldeneye 007 (64) on the N64? Great times.
Oh, and Perfect Dark. Rare made some great games back then.

Banjo-kazooie, etc.
Some of Nintendo's greatest leaps in technology were made back in those days...Just look at Super Mario 64 and compare it to Super Mario Bros.

Of course, the NES was the one who really started it all. We have it and Nintendo to thank for making video games as they are today. Otherwise we may have had everybody and their cereal box making video games, like before the Crash of 1983.
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned) to juilinsandar

to juilinsandar

Re: Xbox One may not be a good idea for People in rural areas...

I suspect MS's logic is those people wouldn't pay for a Gold XBL account anyway since they don't have internet and they wouldn't buy any digital content for the same reason thus they are not worth the bother.

88615298 (banned)

One good thing

When these new systems come out the 360 and PS3 should drop in price. Maybe time to scoop up a new one then. Then you can keep playing those systems for years.

OSUGoose
join:2007-12-27
Columbus, OH
Apple AirPort Extreme (2013)

OSUGoose to Gandalf4503

to Gandalf4503

Re: There's a lot...

1. False, even the event highlighted how you could download the game at a friends Xbox One and play it there without missing a beat.

3. See Number 1

4. That has not been confirmed, having a rep from MSFT stating he's not sure but thinks its 24 hrs means ITS NOT CONFIRMED!

So shut up, and wait till E3 where all these and more will be answered. MSFT held this event to build up excitement for E3 to try and overshadow Sony.
OSUGoose

OSUGoose to beavercable

to beavercable

Re: I'll wait till next year to decide.

Again a rumor, has not been confirmed.
me1212
join:2008-11-20
Lees Summit, MO

me1212 to BabyBear

to BabyBear

Re: I'll stick with PlayStation

x86? I thought they were using x86_x64 processors? Since it has 8GB of ram and all don't they need 64 bit?
page: 1 · 2 · next